shape
carat
color
clarity

I found my dress!!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You look beautiful in that dress Jaylex ::)

jaylex

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, Yssie!
I can't wait for "my dress" to come in. I'll probably wear it around the my moms house for the ten months leading up to the wedding.

It's really not fair that these dresses only get one day of wear. I think it should be tradition to wear them on anniversaries as well lol.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous! Wish you'd have taken a pic with your gma! :) I bet she was excited that it was the one!

jaylex

Brilliant_Rock
hoofbeats95 said:
Gorgeous! Wish you'd have taken a pic with your gma! :) I bet she was excited that it was the one!

Thanks, hoof. I actually did take pics with my gma's and mom and the sales associate. but my mom has them on her camera lol.

She was super excited. She just lost her husband to cancer in April and she's been slowly trying to "recover" from it. For some reason, I think going dress shopping with me was good for her. She seemed really happy. (especially since she picked "the one" ::) )

ts44

Brilliant_Rock
jaylex said:
ts44 said:
You will need the shoes if the dress has to be measured hem-to-hollow. It's a measurement from the hollow at your neck between your collarbones to the hem of the dress, which ideally ensures the proper length without alterations. The beading on the dress and ornate hem indicate to me that any kind of conventional length alteration would be next to impossible. Don't worry, if you end up not liking the shoes you don't have to wear them, but you will have to find a new pair that has the same height so as not to throw off your measurement.

If the dress only has two length variations, then the suggestion to fit the shoe height to the dress height is the one to go with.

Thanks for all the input, ladies!

ts44, it really seems like the cleveland bridal stores think they are doing us a "favor" by letting us come in and prance around dressed up in their beautiful things! :roll: lol.. Hey, I remember reading that you looked at dresses at catans right? Did you end up ordering your dress there?

The dress will have to be measured hem-to-hollow. Now that you said that, I remember the lady saying it. I tried the sample dress on for my dad today (divorced parents... yay! ;-) ) so I asked the owner about alterations and she said that they would take it up at this point (see blue box in photo) but I would hate to mess with that amazing beading. So I will def try to avoid having to alter the length.

Yikes I wouldn't let them take it up there at all. Definitely get it measured as exactly as you can and then if it still comes in too long (or too short!) you might have to scrap your shoe pick and go with OUpeargirl's suggestion of matching the shoes to the length of the dress. I think with this dress you'll definitely want as few alterations as possible, even if it means eating a few Big Macs before the big day to make it fit right. :naughty:

I did end up ordering from Catan's. I have had nothing but excellent service from them from start to finish, but that may be in part because I was very up-front about all the negative reviews I had read online. When my mother and I went to try dresses on, we met with the buyer for the store, Paula, and Patrice herself, and they were both friendly and professional, and did their best to address our concerns. I ordered a dress out of the couture department, and it seems like they have an entirely separate staff and seamstresses from the main area. I will say that I couldn't beat Catan's for sheer selection in the Cleveland area, no matter what experience you have there!

jaylex

Brilliant_Rock
ts44 said:
jaylex said:
ts44 said:
You will need the shoes if the dress has to be measured hem-to-hollow. It's a measurement from the hollow at your neck between your collarbones to the hem of the dress, which ideally ensures the proper length without alterations. The beading on the dress and ornate hem indicate to me that any kind of conventional length alteration would be next to impossible. Don't worry, if you end up not liking the shoes you don't have to wear them, but you will have to find a new pair that has the same height so as not to throw off your measurement.

If the dress only has two length variations, then the suggestion to fit the shoe height to the dress height is the one to go with.

Thanks for all the input, ladies!

ts44, it really seems like the cleveland bridal stores think they are doing us a "favor" by letting us come in and prance around dressed up in their beautiful things! :roll: lol.. Hey, I remember reading that you looked at dresses at catans right? Did you end up ordering your dress there?

The dress will have to be measured hem-to-hollow. Now that you said that, I remember the lady saying it. I tried the sample dress on for my dad today (divorced parents... yay! ;-) ) so I asked the owner about alterations and she said that they would take it up at this point (see blue box in photo) but I would hate to mess with that amazing beading. So I will def try to avoid having to alter the length.

Yikes I wouldn't let them take it up there at all. Definitely get it measured as exactly as you can and then if it still comes in too long (or too short!) you might have to scrap your shoe pick and go with OUpeargirl's suggestion of matching the shoes to the length of the dress. I think with this dress you'll definitely want as few alterations as possible, even if it means eating a few Big Macs before the big day to make it fit right. :naughty:

I did end up ordering from Catan's. I have had nothing but excellent service from them from start to finish, but that may be in part because I was very up-front about all the negative reviews I had read online. When my mother and I went to try dresses on, we met with the buyer for the store, Paula, and Patrice herself, and they were both friendly and professional, and did their best to address our concerns. I ordered a dress out of the couture department, and it seems like they have an entirely separate staff and seamstresses from the main area. I will say that I couldn't beat Catan's for sheer selection in the Cleveland area, no matter what experience you have there!

Haha. No bigmacs for me! I had really wanted to drop a few pounds before trying on dresses but that didn't fly. Now my main goal is just to tone up my arms.

I am def. still ordering from Catan's. My mom has known Patrice (and knew her parents) for a long time. (We got a kick out of the fact that my mom sold her that ugly floral carpeting in the 80's... when it was "in"...lol). Patrice has been really friendly but I have heard that some of the consultants can be pretty pushy. They weren't to us last week and I really hope that everything continues to go well.

But I will probably be ordering my maid's dresses somewhere else.

Did you get those through Catan's? (wow! i'm really nosey! Sorry!)

ts44

Brilliant_Rock
Haha you're not nosey, this is a bridal forum after all! :wink2: I did not order my bridesmaid's dresses there. I had a specific kind of dress in mind (cotton fabric, pockets, short length, neutral color) and they didn't have anything available that matched. Surprisingly I ended up finding them at David's Bridal, which worked out because two of my bridesmaids are in Virginia and they really appreciated being able to drive to a store 5 minutes from where they live and try on their dresses before ordering.

jaylex

Brilliant_Rock
ts44 said:
Haha you're not nosey, this is a bridal forum after all! :wink2:

Ha ha.. that's true. I just need to be careful when I'm out in the real world. "oh.. you're getting married too?! How much did your reception cost... like, per person?" lol.

Now that I have a dress, I'm really stressing about maid's dresses for some reason. Oh well.

I ended up changing my shoes. The ones i bought looked "dingy" with the dress.
these are the ones I ended up with:

They are a "little bit" :wink2: "flashy" but they look amazing with the beading on the dress. I'm a little worried about how high the heel is, but the platform gives my foot extra support. Plus my "favorite" and "most comfortable" shoes that I wore all the time (until I wore them out) had the same heel height so I'm hoping that once I break them in, I'll be fine. But I'll probably be investing in a nice, high wedge flip flop for the reception (and pics at the park).

:)

dyeablesbrooklynshoe.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results