shape
carat
color
clarity

Can I flip a pillow top and sleep on the other side?

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Okay, DH and I have a pillow top mattress. We''re big people, so we now have giant trenches in the middle of each side of the pillow top. It''s not comfortable.
25.gif
Would it be crazy to flip the mattress and buy a topper for the other side? I''m just trying to avoid buying an entirely new mattress if I can avoid it!

Bad idea? Good idea? Hmm.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d just turn it vertically (so the foot is now the head) and buy a bafflebox topper. I did that with my last mattress and it worked fine, much more comfortable.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2010 11:53:48 AM
Author: monarch64
I''d just turn it vertically (so the foot is now the head) and buy a bafflebox topper. I did that with my last mattress and it worked fine, much more comfortable.
We tried. The trenches are so deep that I felt like I was sleeping on an incline, LOL! We have tried toppers as well with very little luck.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am guessing it doesn''t have a pillowtop on both sides, right? The last mattress we bought was a one sided mattress. I wasn''t crazy about the idea but the thing is so big and heavy that it is hard to turn anyway. It is worth a
try, what have you got to lose?

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2010 11:56:10 AM
Author: luv2sparkle
I am guessing it doesn''t have a pillowtop on both sides, right? The last mattress we bought was a one sided mattress. I wasn''t crazy about the idea but the thing is so big and heavy that it is hard to turn anyway. It is worth a
try, what have you got to lose?
It''s just got the pillow top on the one side. I think we''ll give it a go and see what happens. We can always put it back! I was just wondering if anyone had ever tried it, LOL!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Geckodani, how old is your mattress? I hear the lifespan on them is only ~8 years...maybe it''s time for a new one? (I know you don''t wanna hear that!)

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If your mattress is more than 8 years old I second that suggestion! My husband and I recently got a new mattress and I don''t know why we waited so long. And it wasn''t that expensive, less than $600 with new box spring, tax, and delivery.

This may sound extreme, but I think getting a mattress with an attached pillowtop is a mistake. It will break down sooner than the mattress itself will, leaving you with this problem. I got a plush top, which I think is totally comfortable. But had I needed more cushioning I''d suggest just adding an additional mattress topper that can then be replaced when it breaks down.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Monarch - it''s about 5 years old.

Date: 6/4/2010 12:06:16 PM
Author: part gypsy
If your mattress is more than 8 years old I second that suggestion! My husband and I recently got a new mattress and I don''t know why we waited so long. And it wasn''t that expensive, less than $600 with new box spring, tax, and delivery.

This may sound extreme, but I think getting a mattress with an attached pillowtop is a mistake. It will break down sooner than the mattress itself will, leaving you with this problem. I got a plush top, which I think is totally comfortable. But had I needed more cushioning I''d suggest just adding an additional mattress topper that can then be replaced when it breaks down.
The mattress was a wedding gift from my mom (another reason we''re trying to make it live as long as possible....) and we did not choose it. Neither of us would have chosen a pillow top, to be honest!

If/when we do replace it, we''ll go for something without a pillow top, and just add a topper if we need more. We tried a memory foam topper, and the smell from the foam made me ill so we had to take it back.
emotion-41.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
We had this problem with our old mattress. DH''s ex left quite the ditch. we bought a 4 inch memory foam topper and that did the trick. It was supportive enough to make the bed feel perfectly level.

FWIW, DH and I are not large people and we have a ridge in the middle of our mattress. I think it''s just the nature of the beast. We do rotate it every 3-4 months or so.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2010 1:34:12 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
We had this problem with our old mattress. DH''s ex left quite the ditch. we bought a 4 inch memory foam topper and that did the trick. It was supportive enough to make the bed feel perfectly level.

FWIW, DH and I are not large people and we have a ridge in the middle of our mattress. I think it''s just the nature of the beast. We do rotate it every 3-4 months or so.
Hmm. Maybe I''ll try a thicker topper first. Previous attempts have just settled into the trench.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
I have a suggestion on a mattress pad.
http://www.cuddledown.com/product/mattress-pads-protectors/mattress-toppers/multi-zone-foam-topper.do?sortby=ourPicks
I use this one and it is great. We have the cheapest of the cheap matresses and this makes it much more comfortable than the top of the line one my mom has in the guest room we sometimes use.
It is the same foam they use in hospitals so it is really thick and durable. It is also cheaper than most really good matress pads.
We are not large but we have had it for 5 years and 2 moves and except for some tearing (my beloved cat loves to play with foam so we have to change the sheets really fast), it is in great shape.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Gecko, I have the same problem!! We have a King Coil pillow top... We cannot flip it because the way it is made, the air pocket coils are built to be supportive from one side only. I don''t know what kind of mattress you have, but if it''s the same kind, then you can''t flip it. We checked into the warranty and they said that the deficit has to be 2" or greater, and the dent in the pillow top doesn''t count.
40.gif

We will never buy another pillow top!!!
38.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
The memory foam is key, it''s got enough internal structure to fill the gaps!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results