shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Ideas for Private Proposal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

noodle

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

My girlfriend and I are quite private and do not publicly display affection. She works as a dental assistant and I''m a telecom technologist. I have no clue what to do except to take her out for dinner and the propose at a local gardens.

I do not want to rely on anyone since my friends, her friends and relatives are not dependable and I would not want this ruined by an accidental slip up.

Any ideas ?

Judi W

Shiny_Rock
When my son proposed a couple of years ago he also wanted to do it in private since he is not one for public displays. His girlfriend (now wife) loves frogs and collects all kinds of stuffed and ceramic ones. He took her to a cozy bed and breakfast just out of town and in the garden he gave her a gift. It was a big stuffed frog with a crown on it's head. She was very surprised when she finally noticed a box inside the crown....containing the diamond engagement ring. Some time later, at the wedding, that same stuffed frog was held by the ring bearer and contained the wedding bands. It now has a place of honor in my kids house and probably always will! Don't know if you GF has a collection, but maybe this will trigger an idea.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

ShopDiva

Rough_Rock
Yeah, a romantic getaway sounds like it might work for you! Maybe some rose petals and a couple candles would do. That way it can be the two of you and very romantic.
love.gif

antigoon

Rough_Rock
Hi Noodle,

Big public stunts are not for everybody. In fact, I think they're only for a small percentage of the population, you just see them more because they're well, big and public.

What about some weekend morning getting up early and asking her if she wants you to make her some coffee. You can leave the room, go downstairs to where you've got some flowers hidden, (bang around in the kitchen a little bit to pretend you're making coffee), put on a tuxedo, and come back upstairs. She'll probably still be half asleep so you can slip in the room. Then just get down on one knee, put your hand on her shoulder to wake her up a little, and tell her that she's the most fantastic girl you've ever met and you want to spend the rest of your life with her and ask her to marry you. (If you can get all that out without both of you breaking into tears.)

Forgive me if I'm a little crass... just like sex, for guys it's the act and for women it's the whole date. The actual proposal is the climax, you think it's the whole deal, but for her, it's only a part of the whole thing. If you spend a wonderful afternoon together, doing things you love to do together (shopping at little boutiques? going for coffee? Going for a long run or bike ride?), then you've made reservations at a nice restaurant, or maybe you've made dinner, then you spend the rest of the evening cuddling on the couch... That's proposal foreplay. At this point, you don't need to do anything special: just wait for a quiet moment, pull the box out of your pocket, get on one knee, and propose. To me, that's 100 times more romantic than proposing on the jumbotron during the halftime show.

Steve

noodle

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the ideas guys,

This is a good vote of confidence that a proposal can just be simple. My friends all said I should do something "crazy". Thanks for the alternatives.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
NOT AT ALL!!! I always like to say that the most important element of any proposal is that one, she feels appreciated and special, and that you are sincere. With those two things, you can not go wrong...

I was porposed to very quietly and very privately in a beautiful locale, and it was just the two of us. I am a big public person, I have no issues, but he's very very private. I am glad he chose to do it just us, as he was already nervous as it was!!!

He even had a poem he never read (as 1.5 months of practice made him forget it at that moment), and instead said what was in his heart. I couldn't have cried more!!!

Good luck and remember, it IS the whole day that makes it special, as he was the nicest to me that whole day than he has EVER been, and although I got a bit nervous at his nice-ness, it still made it really stand out in my mind!!!

Good luck and let us know how it goes!!!
wavey.gif

AtlantaC

Rough_Rock
Depending on your interests, I like the idea of a relaxing weekend getaway to the mountains or the beach or some other setting of that kind in your area. That sense of leaving everything else behind can heighten the experience of being private and sharing such an important occasion. However, as I've said elsewhere, romance is what you make of it where you are. It's not in a beach or a rock or a dramatic view of the bay.

antigoon

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 4/30/2004 7:57:06 AM noodle wrote:

Thanks for the ideas guys,

This is a good vote of confidence that a proposal can just be simple. My friends all said I should do something 'crazy'. Thanks for the alternatives.----------------

You're not proposing for your friends, or to your friends, you're proposing to her. And probably the most unromantic way to propose is to do something that would make your fiancee-to-be feel uncomfortable or that you don't understand her.

Good luck: you've got the right instincts.

Steve

Heaven Sent

Rough_Rock
I saw the cutest ring box! It is a silver stemmed rosebud. The top of the rosebud is hinged and it opens up to a cushioned ring holder! That is something any girl would love to keep in a simple silver vase on her shelf forever more to show people what you used to propose... Just a touch to the rest of the ideas...
12.gif

Heaven Sent

Rough_Rock
That's IT!!!
appl.gif
Isn't that a darling idea!!!
9.gif
Good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results