shape
carat
color
clarity

Older cat eating new kitten''s food and getting fat

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
There seem to be a lot of cat-lovers on this board so hopefully someone can help with our dilemma. Last year right before Christmas we adopted a 2 month old kitten named Lilly. While she was on kitten food we kept a bowl of dry food available all the time. However, when she turned 1 this September, we converted her to adult food and started limiting her quantity to 1/2 cup total per day as she seemed to be getting a little pudgy. On the controlled quantity of food she started to slim down a little. But right at that same time we decided to adopt a friend for Lilly and brought home a 2 month old kitten named Hobbes. Since Hobbes is a kitten and obviously growing rapidly, we''d like to leave a bowl of kitten food available all day for her. But Lilly seems to be chowing down on the kitten food, in addition to her own food and seems to be putting the weight back on. Any suggestions for how to handle this? Even when Hobbes turns 1 and we start feeding them both the same food, I''m worried that Lilly will eat her portion and Hobbes portion (though they are obviously served in different bowls). Lilly''s not due back to the vet for another month or so for her annual check-up but at this rate, I''m worried she''ll really pack on some pounds before then.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
I had this problem. I solved it by pulling a china cabinet away from the wall so the kitten could fit, but the cat couldn''t. Then I put a bowl of food back there.

Rachie

Shiny_Rock
I also had this problem and I had to feed them at the same time in separate rooms. It was kind of a pain but my older cat was on high protein food to help her lose weight and not only did she eat the kitten''s food, the kitten would eat the older cat''s food too! They each liked the other''s food better, they are strange. Now, they are on the same food and there are no issues. They know who''s bowl is who''s and often enough the younger cat eats more than the fatty older one. It''s pretty funny.
3.gif

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
Lulu - That's quite a creative solution - great idea!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/7/2009 11:08:52 PM
Author: lulu
I had this problem. I solved it by pulling a china cabinet away from the wall so the kitten could fit, but the cat couldn''t. Then I put a bowl of food back there.
oh, god, that is so funny.

I must be a bad kitty mama as I just make sure the cat food bowls are always topped off every morning. From years of cat-owning experience, I''ve decided some cats are meant to be thin and others are meant to be a bit more cuddily and just go with that philosophy. My older cat is over 16, so hopefully that means something.

Best of luck and enjoy your kitties.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Feed in separate rooms. That''s what I do with my cat and kitten.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Aww, but cats are so cute when they get chubby!
emwink.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2009 10:43:56 AM
Author: vespergirl
emwink.gif
Totally. It''s a cats "job" to be chubby, cuddle, and keep laps warm.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2009 12:26:21 PM
Author: MC

Date: 12/8/2009 10:43:56 AM
Author: vespergirl
emwink.gif
Totally. It''s a cats ''job'' to be chubby, cuddle, and keep laps warm.
And don''t forget, some kitties are just big boned
28.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you feed the chubby kitty in a separate room?

lulu

Ideal_Rock
MC-now that I''m older and wiser I''ve come around to your point of view. I keep food in the bowls all day. I have a 7 pounder, a 13 pounder and a 24 pounder.

Their respective weights never vary from year to year. I''ve decided just to focus on my own weight!

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
I had a similar problem - I have two kitties. One was an 18.5lb monstrosity and the other a 9 pounder that is hard to keep weight on. I tried and tried and tried to be able to just leave out food and it didn't work. The fatty kept getting fatter, and when I found a fatty growth on his side I realized that it was my fault and I had to get strict with feeding.

The routine I established is as follows:

1. Fatty gets his food put down first (about 1/6 cup of weight management food). He gets about a 45 second head start.
2. Skinny-minnie gets her food second (the same amount of regular food).

Repeat three times a day.

The first few weeks I had to stand between them and keep each kitty at their bowl. If the skinny gal finished first I had to pick up her food immediately to keep him from eating it. Doing this was exhausting, but honestly it got easier. Now both of them know the routine and I've been able to relax a bit. I can put their food down and walk away - no need to stand guard. And it has paid off in spades. Beck has lost 3lbs and more is coming off every day. I never ever ever though I'd be able to get them to each eat out of their own bowls, especially since Mr. Fatty is such a food bully. But by being very consistent its been able to work.

Edited to add: from what the vet told me no cat, not even a kitten, needs food out all day long. That just encourages bad eating habits for the future.

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
It helped me to feed my cats in two different places, and at two different levels. And like EricaR says, you won''t be starving your kitten by putting him on a feeding schedule. I did the same for mine when he was a kitten, and he was fine.

My older cat ballooned up to 17lbs when my younger cat was terminally ill and I was seriously worried about his appetite. The vet kind of gave me that look
38.gif
when I brought the eldest in for checkup, and told me all the health problems being overweight can cause cats in their old age. Diabetes, heart disease, arthritis, skin problems, etc.

He''s now back to his ideal weight of 13lbs.

mtjoya

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry, I can''t help but think that this is sooo cute! I can''t offer any suggestions because I don''t have kitties. Can you please post pics of your babies?
17.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results