shape
carat
color
clarity

Mailing Invites?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ilovethiswebsite

Brilliant_Rock
I have a pretty dumb question. When my invitations are ready to be mailed (e.g. they have the correct postage) do I mail them in a regular mailbox or go to the post office and mail them there? I am paranoid that if I put them in the mailbox they were get ruined (dirty from the winter weather), although it''s kind of dumb cause they will probably get a bit dirty in transit anyway.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would bring them to the post office. Also ask that they hand cancel them.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
oops i put my save the dates in the mail box
i guess ill have to remember to do the post office for the invites

i have a question, what does hand cancel them mean?

honey22

Ideal_Rock
I honestly never considered this? They are probably more likely to get trashed in each individual mailbox, I know my mailbox leakes like a seive in the rain and some little kid decided to ''mail'' me several handfulls on my garden mulch
23.gif

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/18/2009 2:04:58 AM
Author: honey22
I honestly never considered this? They are probably more likely to get trashed in each individual mailbox, I know my mailbox leakes like a seive in the rain and some little kid decided to ''mail'' me several handfulls on my garden mulch
23.gif

haha what a thoughtful kid lol

missjaxon

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/18/2009 2:04:58 AM
Author: honey22
23.gif

I honestly just laughed out loud about the little kid "mailing" you your own garden mulch.
3.gif
Too funny. Sorry I don''t have any advice about the invites.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I would take them to the post office.

Does hand canceling cost more? A few people have told me it does, but I haven''t heard what the real story is. Anyone know?

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Canceling is when they make the mark over the stamp to show that it has been processed. Usually they run the mail through a machine that does it, and for delicate invites, they can get a bit rough for the wear in the machine. If they hand-cancel, it means they do it by hand. Some post offices might charge for it, you just have to ask. When I went to buy my stamps, I asked about it, and the guy said it would all depend on when I brought them in (and how many invites I had). He said if it was in the morning, they could probably do it, but if I brought them at a busy time, they would end up going through the machine. So I brought them in the morning and they said they could do it without a problem and with no charge.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
oh ok, that''s nice that they offer that!

cara

Ideal_Rock
But even if hand-canceled, the invites will still be processed through other machines later in the mailing process, so don''t expect pristine envelopes to arrive at your destination... (that is what the outer envelope is for.)

ilovethiswebsite

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/18/2009 11:17:02 AM
Author: cara
But even if hand-canceled, the invites will still be processed through other machines later in the mailing process, so don''t expect pristine envelopes to arrive at your destination... (that is what the outer envelope is for.)

Ours don''t have an outer envelop :|

Our invites are pretty study as they are made out of a thicker paper. Oh well, I will go to my local post office and see if there are any other options, incl. hand canceling.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
I hand cancelled my own at the post office at the intersection of Adelaide and Toronto street downtown. They even gave me a special box to put them in once they were done, and then put a big sign on the box indicating that they''d been cancelled already.

I guess it often happens that mail is hand cancelled and then they dump them into the regular box and they go through the computer thingy anyways!

They were super nice at that post office.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I brought my STDs to the post office to mail them and when I asked to have them hand canceled, the woman handed me the stamp and told me to do it myself. It didn''t cost any more. I will definitely take my invites to the PO to mail them. I''m so paranoid about them!! Speaking of which, I''m working on them today!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results