shape
carat
color
clarity

Proposal at 35k feet!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sandiegoboater

Rough_Rock
So here is my master plan... My girlfriend has NO idea I am proposing or that I have even been ring shopping. A friend of mine is getting married in Hawaii next month. I was planning on asking her in Hawaii but if I just planned a trip for the two of us she would know what was up or at least have a clue. So now that I have the perfect cover story and a valid reason to go to Hawaii my plan has been put into action.

I plan on asking her on the airplane to Hawaii and if possible using the overhead pa system to initiate it. I will have to have the airline personnel''s approval, but it is worth a shot.

Basically what I want to say is that "we took off for Hawaii as boyfriend/girlfriend and I wanted to land in Hawaii with her as my fiancee." I will then present the ring to her and ask her formally.

Any thoughts, suggestions or drawbacks to this? Has anyone here ever proposed on an airplane?

Thanks!

denverboy

Shiny_Rock
my only comment is that I know my gf made sure to tell me "don''t ask me in a place that is too public with lots of people around". Since it is a personal occasion, some girls want it to happen in a more personal place. But other girls may LOVE that you chose to do it like that, so you gotta know what your girl would want.

cdndman

Rough_Rock
It''s a good creative idea.. however it really depends on how the girl is.... my fiance told me specifically not to do it where there were other people around... since she wanted it to be just the two of us etc....

May I make a suggestion??

your going to Hawaii... there are a ton of breath taking views/scenarios you could do. If the trip is planned she should not be really tipped off in any way... another tip is if you do it somewhere... like a specific spot on the island then you guys could always visit that spot whereas on an airplane.. its really a crap shoot as to where you are over the ocean
1.gif

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/5/2008 9:08:07 PM
Author: cdndman
It''s a good creative idea.. however it really depends on how the girl is.... my fiance told me specifically not to do it where there were other people around... since she wanted it to be just the two of us etc....

May I make a suggestion??

your going to Hawaii... there are a ton of breath taking views/scenarios you could do. If the trip is planned she should not be really tipped off in any way... another tip is if you do it somewhere... like a specific spot on the island then you guys could always visit that spot whereas on an airplane.. its really a crap shoot as to where you are over the ocean
1.gif

I completely agree with this statement. Hawaii is breathtaking, and I would rather be standing on the beach, over looking the beach, or looking at an AMAZING waterfall rather on a stuffy airplane with tons of people around, but that''s just me. Maybe your FF would like something like you were thinking of?? I would not want people around in that close proximity to me while sharing something that special.

Good luck with the proposal! Keep us updated on what you decide.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I love that you''re putting all of this thought into it, that''s very sweet. That being said, I agree with the other posters that finding a beautiful private spot in Hawaii would be more ideal because:

1. Hawaii would be much less public
2. You could kiss and celebrate and be yourselves after the proposal--on a plane you''d still be surrounded by 100 strangers after the engagement and would probably be counting the minutes before you could disembark and really celebrate!
3. By not proposing on the plane, you could plan the engagement after your friend''s wedding and not be in that uncomfortable position where you don''t know if you should say anything at the wedding about your engagement because it would take some attention away from the couple and their day.
4. Hawaii is GORGEOUS!!!! And you could go back to the spot where you proposed on later vacations, something that is always special.

Good luck and congrats! I''m excited for you!!!

dcgator

Brilliant_Rock
I think I am going to be the only one who says I love it, but then again maybe I have seen the Wedding Singer one too many times, hehe.

But, if she is game for something like that, maybe you will even get lucky and get upgraded to first class, b/c who would not want to do something for a newly engaged couple!
9.gif

PrincessDijon

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/10/2008 1:18:43 PM
Author: dcgator
I think I am going to be the only one who says I love it, but then again maybe I have seen the Wedding Singer one too many times, hehe.

But, if she is game for something like that, maybe you will even get lucky and get upgraded to first class, b/c who would not want to do something for a newly engaged couple!
9.gif

Lol... I love the wedding singer...that part makes me cry everytime...too sweet....Sorry for the mini threadjack but I think it''s a cool idea if she is down for the whole thing...

dreaming of the day

Shiny_Rock
Well maybe this isn''t such a great idea. The only reason I say this is because it is exactly (even hawaii) how my dad asked my mom to marry him - and she hated it! My mother is quite shy and reserved, not a very public person, and this was humiliating to her. Needless to say they have been divorced since I was 18mos old. I think its sweet and I can''t believe my mom hated it so much - but she never wanted a public proposal. Really it depends on your GF personality - if your not sure don''t do it. I don''t mean to be a bummer to your plan - just sharing my family''s experience with it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results