shape
carat
color
clarity

cleaning a smooth top range?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you use to just clean fingerprints off the top of a smoothtop range? I have the non-abrasive cleaner for tougher cleaning, but I just got the stove yesterday and it''s driving me crazy with the smudges!!!
29.gif
You''re not supposed to use ammonia, bleach, orange products, so I wonder what''s left that works fast and easy. Any suggestions welcome. Streaks are a problem. I was wondering about a vinegar and water solution, but don''t know if that''s also not "allowed". Help?

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I have a smooth top stove. I use regular old Windex for cleaning the top of it when it doesn''t need the more aggressive cleaner. Works great. I would imagine the vinegar & water would work too but for me the Windex is easier to grab & go.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It says not to use ammonia on it though, and DH is a wee bit OCD about that. I went out and found some cooktop "wipes" today, so I''ll see how those work. It''s a royal pain not to just use the windex, because I use that on *everything*! DH says it will etch the glass. argh. Side note: my washer won''t drain today and DH won''t be home until Tuesday. Our appliances always fail when he is out of town.
38.gif

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
I have a smooth top too. Get Cerama Bryte cream. I got it at home depot. It is made for smooth tops and you just apply this w/o water. Your stove will be gleaming perfection!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
i use a mr.clean magic eraser on mine, works great and no streaks...

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Google your make and the problem "Kenmore dishwasher not draining" and see if other people have had the problem and fixed it on their own. We had this happen with our clothes washer and freaked out thinking we''d have to call the repair man. A little google searching and an easy/quick fix later and it''s like new again.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/9/2007 1:37:47 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Google your make and the problem ''Kenmore dishwasher not draining'' and see if other people have had the problem and fixed it on their own. We had this happen with our clothes washer and freaked out thinking we''d have to call the repair man. A little google searching and an easy/quick fix later and it''s like new again.
I googled and read the manual. It''s our clothes washer btw, Whirlpool Duet. I guess I jinxed it the other day here when I said it was great, never a problem!
33.gif
It looks like we will first have to check for clogs in the drain hose which is going to be too hard for me because the machine is too heavy and the hose is long and skinny. So hopefully DH can tackle that Tuesday and if it still doesn''t work, then we''ll have to call for a repair. I hate having repair people in. The expense and the inconvenience of waiting for a timeframe of hours and hours. Gah!
8.gif

BTW, the wipes I found were Cerama Bryte too. I also have the creme and proper pad for cleaning the range. The main ingredient in the wipes is alcohol. Duh! Should have thought of that, as we''ve used plain alcohol before to really shine up appliances.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are you gettin an F21 error message? That happened to me and we thought it was the hose, but it wasn''t. I posted this fix on another thread.

When my F21 showed up, the washer would not do anything. It would turn on, two relays clicked, it would then HUM. I am guessing that this washer is SMART. It will test if the washer water exit pump will indeed pump. The machine figures, if it can''t pump water out, there is no use in filling and starting up in the first place, so it plays DEAD and flashes the F21 code. If it will not pump, then it will not spin or do anything. If the pump will not spin, then the machine will NOT start the cycle and allow water to come on or spin. It will just HUM and finally, it will flash the F21 and the machine will just sit there. Unplugging it and plugging it back in will not help. Why does the pump not spin?

Objective: Clear pump of debris. Tilt machine. Take off front panel. Unscrew large white drain plug. Remove debris.

First, unplug the machine and turn off the water supplies on the hot and cold.

Here is how I pulled out the stuff. The machine is full of water. The objective is to not mess with the water. So, pull the whole machine forward about 3 to 4 feet. Then, tilt the machine back, so that the top of the machine is hitting the wall and the machine is now at a 45 degree angle. This raises the front bottom of the machine where you can get to it. Have an assistant hold the machine there, even though it will balance perfectly, it can fall on you (I rested the front on a paint can which left it 1 foot off of the floor. You are leaning it back to gain access to (3) quarter inch screws holding on the front cover at the very bottom of the front cover and you avoid taking the machine out of the plastic pan.

Once the machine is tilted back, take out the 3 metal pan head self taping screws with a 1/4 inch socket. The front bottom panel will come right down. On the right is a large knob on one side of the pump about 1.5 to 2" in diameter. Put a large bowl under the drain plug. Turn this Counter clock wise slowly as you are moving an O ring which seals it. About three or four turns and it comes out. Remove all the junk in there - pennies, hair, wool.

Now, put the cover back on. Note - it is keyed. Match the ridge on the plug with the slot on the receiver. Now, push it in gently while turning clockwise. Be careful to push it in firmly but not harshly as there is an "O" ring sealing it against leaks and you don''t want to nick the O ring. Put the front cover back on by first putting the top of the cover into the slots with the pins protruding from the front cover on the the receiving holes on the machine below the round door and then securing the bottom of the front access door with the three self taping screws with the 1/4 inch socket. No not over tighten. Just make them snug.

Let the machine down gently, realize it can slam down on your foot.

Push it back to where it was, use the dryer as an example.
Plug the machine back in. Turn on the water supplies for hot and cold.
Now, put the machine back onto the wash cycle. Press power and start. It will first drain out the old water. Now, add the HE detergent and your load will finish as normal.

GOOD LUCK!!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2007 1:35:38 PM
Author: mrssalvo
i use a mr.clean magic eraser on mine, works great and no streaks...

ditto.
1.gif

I use them on EVERYTHING!!

sap483

Brilliant_Rock
You can use Corningware cleaner on your range. I believe they sell it at Walmart or other places that sell corningware. You can also get it at the outlets.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! Thanks for the indepth response about the washer HH! I can''t do this on my own, but at least now I know what to try. It''s just an F2 error actually. It will go through the wash cycle but stop at drain/spin, 12 minutes from the end. Actually, I emptied the machine already. There wasn''t a huge amount of water in it. A minor flood when the door opened, but the floor drain is right there anyway. Then I bailed the rest. I figured it would be less heavy if I did this. I don''t have 3-4 ft. to play with exactly. There is about 3 feet to the wall in front of the washer, but it has upper cabinets on it. It will be tight, but my DH and I will be able to do what you suggested I think. That stupid hose--it''s a peeve of mine how narrow it is, and that it is ridged. Plus it''s proprietary. It''s way too long for our particular installation too, so I can see how a clog in the filter further down would happen easily. Thanks so much! I sure hope it works!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the Mr. Clean eraser suggestion, MrsSalvo. I will pick one up. I use Cerama Bryte and wipe off any streaks with a wet paper towel.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a further question about the smooth top range. It seems to take forever to get a pot of water to boil. Is this normal? I have tried 2 different pots now, and am wondering if I need a whole new set or if I just need to accept this. Man, for less maintenance (said the salesman), this type of top sure requires a lot of upkeep. Next time it''s going to just be gas!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i have a smooth cooktop and i haven''t noticed it takes longer to boil water..... than any other electric range i''ve used (and that''s what i''ve had all my life). once in a while i''ve used a gas cooktop at someone else''s house or at our camp, and that is much quicker, but electric to electric smoothtop, no noticable difference for me.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, it turns out only the newest pots (2 cast iron non-stick, 2 s/s) we have work well. I bought 2 more in sizes we lacked because the oldest ones are so inefficient (wobbly bottoms?). So we now have 3 different brands in 4 different styles. Wheeee!
37.gif
This just isn't so fun. I get to buy a few more new pots though.
31.gif
And DH is worried about his cast iron skillets that are decades old. He actually suggested buying a hotplate in order to be able to use it to make this one chicken dish he makes. Now, who's the crazy one here?
11.gif

ETA: the range in question is a Jennair with the 5.3 cu. ft. oven, 2 speed convection feature. Just in case anyone ever wonders about this particular brand. It has tons of features, just not thrilled about the cooktop part yet.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just an update on the washer. Thanks Hudson Hawk!!!
9.gif
It''s fixed. Took DH about 5 minutes to take off the panel and clear the obstruction from the impeller. It was, uhm, a lightdays pad. Obviously from my youngest daughter. Argh!!!
29.gif
I am overjoyed at the thought of 6 days of laundry back-up. But I''m so glad it was an easy fix.

Note on the cooktop: I ended up buying 5 new pots, and that has made all the difference in cooking times. Yay. Knock on wood, but I think my appliances are under control again.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
we bought our stove top at sears and it came with a smoothtop cleaner. it''s a off-white cream in a white bottle. i LOVE it. and i''ve heard that you can buy it at sears. we also picked up smooth stove top wipes from BB&B, but i prefer the cream from sears.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lyra, mine was 2 thongs and a sock. Thank GOD we didn''t have to call the Sears man about it. I would have been mortified!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/14/2007 12:26:39 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Lyra, mine was 2 thongs and a sock. Thank GOD we didn''t have to call the Sears man about it. I would have been mortified!
I was plenty mortified, but would have absolutely died if I''d had a repairman fish that out.
23.gif
It wasn''t easy to get out. I was honestly thinking it would be one of my daughter''s thongs, they''re so tiny!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results