shape
carat
color
clarity

can''t make up your mind on ER setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got my upgrade stone in Sept., and I thought I'd give myself a long time to just look at settings before I picked something permanent. Right now my diamond (1.77 RB K VS1) is in a WG temporary solitaire setting. Well, truth is, after 3 months of looking around, I honestly can't even find *ONE* setting that I really just love. Has this happened to anyone else? I don't want to just go with another solitaire either, I don't see a point.

Someone said the other day that lower coloured stones looked better in antique style settings, so I tried searching through as many as I could find at the regular places recommended here. I'm finding one major problem though. Most pre-manufactured settings are not made for stones over 1.5 cts. So (I know this is plain HERESY for PS, don't revoke my membership please!
15.gif
), I've actually considered whether I'd be better off with a *smaller* diamond. I know, it's absolutely crazy, but it's so much easier to find mounts made for 1-1.25 ct centers. One thing I like about the vintage style settings is that the stones are set lower. That *IS* something I think I want.

What I don't want is micro or regular pave, at all. I do like diamond sidestones. I am not a fan of custom work because I don't have ANY ideas at all for what I'd want. Anyone else go through this? I just don't know where else to look for ideas. I don't think a halo would be right either, because I feel the center stone is big enough on me already (size 7). Ideas welcome. Obviously I have looked at all the PS vendors repeatedly. I also can't spend 10K on a setting. The only one I've mostly liked so far is Facet's Raphael Duo, but worry that it won't suit my center stone. Maybe too blingy? Oh, also, I tend to have a preference for a WB to sit flush with the ER.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Oh Lyra...

You obviously don''t know my plight. It has been since 2004 since my stone was loose. Has anyone had this problem? Duh!! I have been through the gamut of designs. When I make a decision I will see something else and say Eureka! I want that, then I return to plan A it always pales in comparison. And so it goes. And so it is that my stone is still loose.

If having the WB to sit flush is you main concern, then you can narrow your parameters down to look only at those. Precision Set link is a good place to start. If you choose a setting from them for your main stone...your WB choice is vast from their inventory. You can also order a WB later or even plan on two eventually. And with their line you are always assured a FLUSH FIT. You will have a lot of choice of bead set, bar set, the your dreaded pave...a lot of channel set...The thing I like about this line is they too see the marriage of both pieces to be forefront in design. They have 3 stone settings to choose from and also offer white gold which will help you stay in your budget range. Well, of course that is and was before gold was 800 an ounce as it was last week.

Pearlman has some great ones under Pearlman collection. They will sit flush.

I wouldn''t set the stone in an antique setting just because others say it will look best. If you aren''t a fan of antique it will bug the heck out of you! I have heard the lower the color it looks better in yellow gold. I have seen that to be true when compared to the same color in white metal. (but I wouldn''t know the color K from a bag of hammers...so I am not meaning your specifically...OK?) You might take it with you to a jeweler and play with it in yellow gold and white...and see what you like. A yellow gold head and accents can be most intriguing. There are some more antique looking designs that have yellow gold scrolls under the shank. To help tie the yellow head in with the ring. You have a lot of options if you wanted to go dual tone metal. But choose the style you want...then bring your stone into the plan.

Just what ever you do...don''t wait 3.5 years to make a decision. I have the prize on that...if I know I am being challenged...you will make me postpone my Leon creation. I can''t loose my seat.
2.gif
I worked to hard to be the boards knucklehead.

DKS

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Selkie: I kind of like the Woodstock model, but it doesn''t show a WB. Then I think maybe it''s too 50''s looking. The Society Hill one is nice, but I don''t like knife edge. Does eliminating things I don''t like help at all?
40.gif
I like VC in general, but again, I think I like to have some sidestones and all the designs I see there are detailed engraving only, which is gorgeous, but I''m not completely sold on it. I might like 2 WB''s, and I think the VC designs should stand on their own.

DKS: I had no idea you''ve been waiting that long!
6.gif
I know I have a deadline, it''s sort of do it before my next anniversary, or risk never getting it done (so many other priorities, and this isn''t a big one in the scheme of things). I''m not really that picky. I think I''m more of a magpie: ooh, shiny, I like that one, ooh, sparkly, that one''s just as nice.
41.gif
I''ve poured over Pearlman''s daily. I have to say, if only they''d show more views or a fake handshot even, that might help more. In a lot of cases I think being able to see more detail, even just a full frontal and a full side detail would be very helpful. I''m not at all happy with anything I''ve seen in stores, not even the Tacori line. (Maybe I dislike the look of platinum too much?)

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mrs. Salvo: That's beautiful but I don't like pave or very thin bands. Actually, I've been trying to look it up, and maybe I'm mistaken but I believe it was one of your rings that comes closest to what I think I like. But if I'm correct, you consigned it through Pearlman's and someone else here bought it and redesigned it into a bezel. Was that your ring? It was Tiffany inspired, or a Tiffany, can't remember exactly although I mostly remember the ring. I don't want a bezel setting though, and wondered why that particular ring was redesigned after sale. If it was you, do you have a link? You have so many posts, it's been hard to find pictures again! Thanks for responding.
35.gif
BTW, that K ring is gorgeous! Mine is white in most instances, but not all obviously.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/11/2007 5:11:49 PM
Author:lyra
... I thought I'd give myself a long time to just look at settings before I picked something permanent. Right now my diamond... is in a temporary solitaire setting. Well, truth is, after months of looking around, I honestly can't even find *ONE* setting that I really just love. Has this happened to anyone else? I don't want to just go with another solitaire either, I don't see a point.

One thing I like about the vintage style settings is that the stones are set lower. That *IS* something I want.

What I don't want is micro or regular pave. I do like diamond sidestones. I am not a fan of custom work because I don't have ANY ideas at all for what I'd want. Anyone else go through this? I just don't know where else to look for ideas. I don't think a halo would be right either, ...Ideas welcome. Obviously I have looked at all the PS vendors repeatedly. I also can't spend 10K on a setting. ...Maybe too blingy? Oh, also, I tend to have a preference for a WB to sit flush with the ER.
Not only am I going through this, but so much of what you said is the same as me. (except my diamond is smaller -
7.gif
- although - I do appreciate and have when shopping, that my stone is a pretty standard size, which makes it easier to visualize how things will look.
1.gif
So I hear you there too.) I could have written the parts of your post that I copied above.

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of great advice! Plus luckily I don't have to worry about a WB sitting flush since my ring will be stand-alone, although I must admit I too like to leave that possibility. Anyway, I do plan to go custom, and I think I have a general idea what I think I want, although when I talk to jewelers they always complicate things. But anyway, have you seen the rings on Mark Morrell's website? It seems you would have since you said you've looked at all the recommended PS vendors. Anyway, I'm referring to the ones here: "

Recently completed custom ring:

A bit of whimsy - Undeniable impact.

Thank you, Nathan!

and the one Congratulations, DJ! and thank you for the opportunity to build these wonderful little sculptures for you: http://www.mwmjewelry.com/D_J_2-653ct_wed_set/
It belongs to a pricescoper named JadeLeaves I believe. Anyway, JadeLeaves' set does fit flush. If you want it to sit lower, maybe Mark could put the "Nathan" head on the JadeLeaves ring. Do you like a look like that at all? What do you think of them?

Incidentally, that one of MrsSalvo's that you're referring to is very pretty.

And p.s. to DKS, I think I may beat you for biggest slowpoke on PS, but I would be very glad not to!!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks OFG. Yes, I love MWM''s work. It really is art.
30.gif
I don''t think it''s right for my stone though. I am constantly worried that the K colour is going to look bad with sidestones perhaps. Obviously I''d go down in colour for those, but it''s such a huge step going for a custom MWM and not being sure what it would look like with my stone. My K faces up white most of the time, but there are places (even in my house), where I''m just not thrilled with the colour. Yet oddly, it looks wonderful on other people, like my daughter. I guess always having it the closest to my eyes makes the difference. I''d hate to go custom and not be happy. Love the style of JadeLeaves set though. It''s absolutely gorgeous. Also, part of me just doesn''t want to put too much money into the setting. I don''t know. I looked carefully through Pearlman''s today and noticed the ones I liked most always seemed to be the Michael Beaudry settings. I''m looking for a low setting, maybe some engraving on the shank too. I''m preferring WG as opposed to platinum as well. I like the shine, and it seems to be fine with my body chemistry.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
lyra, that was my tiffany inspired ring, you are rememering correctly. here is the thread to the real tiffany ring that inspired mine: let me know if you have any questions, i''d be happy to answer them..i think this type of design would be beautiful for your k stone...

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/feedback-please-on-euopean-brilliant-in-vintage-tiffany-setting.18468/

and here is the thread to my old ring...

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-oec-finally-finds-a-home-in-quest-manufacturing-custom-vintage-tiffany-inspired-setting.29473/

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
lyra, why not consider colored sides, like sapphires or rubies, so there''s no competition in terms of color?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results