shape
carat
color
clarity

Interviews Coming up...again...fairy dust please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, folks, you read right, I am interviewing ... again.

I know a lot of you know the history of my moving to MI and then taking a job that I didn''t like so much, but then getting a great one in pharmaceutical sales 6 months later.

I''ve been working in the pharmaceutical sales job for 4 months (and in that time have risen rank wise by at least 30%, over reps who had more time in the field, and our rank is based soley on how many TOTAL samples we''ve distributed). I was loving this job but knew taking it was a bit of a risk, especially with my wedding coming up because it was an indefinate contract.

Well, 3 months into the contract we learn that the company cannot afford us any longer and is laying off the entire contract sales force as of last Friday (30 people nationwide).

I''ve got 2 interviews coming up with big pharmaceutical companies and I''m really hoping one comes though -- both I got through networking, one a doctor reccomended me for to a rep and another from a rep I met in the field. The interview process is long for these jobs -- first the phone screen, then a face to face with 3 managers (good cop, bad cop, indifferent cop) then a ride along with a rep who evaluates you and finally a meeting with your would-be manager. I am having the 3 manager interview on Wednesday for one company (I had the phone screen about 3 weeks ago) then I have the initial phone screen interview for the other either Thursday or Friday, and I won''t hear the outcome of that for up to 3 weeks.

I''ve also passed 2 phone screens for other companies as of last week, but again, I probably won''t hear anything from them for a while, even though I got positive feedback from the recruiter and was able to close them on moving me to the next step in the interview process from their end and the company I contracted with said that we get priority for new contracts and that I should be able to land another one, although who knows when that will be...

Basically, I have a lot of good leads but I''m really nervous because I really want one of these to come through and work out as soon as possible. I don''t want my savings drained again like last year when I moved out to Michigan and was jobless for 2 months. At least I can collect unemployment, but between bills and wedding expenses, the unemployment won''t keep my funds from being drained.

The major nerve wracking thing is these jobs are super competitive and I''m trying to figure out what can really set me apart and make me stand out to the managers, besides my advanced science degree. I try to prepare more than others and that has paid off and I bank on some candidates trying to wing it, but I''m not sure what else I can do to land the job.

Major fairy dust is needed!!!

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sweetpea:

A Positive Attitude, and Self Confidence will probably be your best assets. The Dr recomendations will help too if presented at the right time (I used to have a "reference" list printed on the same paper as my resume that I could hand over with a few comments).

I''ve done sales too (years ago); just not pharmacuitical sales.

Best wishes; and keep your chin up.

Perry

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
I''m afraid I don''t have any sales experience so I can''t give you any tips. All I can do is wish you all the best, and take care of yourself because the interview process can be extremely stressful!

Lots of fairy dust and good wishes!!!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sweetpea, sending lots of fairy dust your way! You''re a pro at the interview thing by now, so you have that over your maybe less-experienced competition for one...also, if you can sell a product you can sell yourself, so do that in the actual interview. Make a list of your positive attributes (and don''t forget to include one negative one that you can put a very positive spin on if asked "what''s your biggest weakness"), and SELL it to them! You will be fantastic, third time''s the charm, right!?!

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Good luck on your interviews Sweetpea! I hope you get an offer soon. Sending you lots of fairy dust!

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/3/2007 12:14:56 AM
Author: perry
Sweetpea:

A Positive Attitude, and Self Confidence will probably be your best assets. The Dr recomendations will help too if presented at the right time (I used to have a ''reference'' list printed on the same paper as my resume that I could hand over with a few comments).

Perry
Hi Perry!
Thanks for the advice -- my positive attitude is definately something I rely on because I''m not a pushy sales-y type salesperson. I rely more on building relationships with people to move into making the sale, and for me it really works.

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/3/2007 12:59:59 AM
Author: wolftress
I''m afraid I don''t have any sales experience so I can''t give you any tips. All I can do is wish you all the best, and take care of yourself because the interview process can be extremely stressful!

Lots of fairy dust and good wishes!!!
Thanks for the good wishes, wolftress. I appreciate the fairydust!!

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/3/2007 1:31:45 AM
Author: whatmeworry
I remember this article talking about cheerleaders being good pharma sales reps

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/28/business/28cheer.html?pagewanted=1&ei=5088&en=1f0c2de686b66853&ex=1290834000&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Anyway the fact that you were only at your old job four 4 months but have risen quickly is something you should point out.

Good luck, I''ll cross my finger for ya.
Haha, that''s funny considering I was a varsity cheerleader in high school ... although I was never super cheerleader-y because I was also in my alterna phase but my mom insisted that I have some sort of extra curriculars!

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/3/2007 2:01:26 AM
Author: monarch64
Sweetpea, sending lots of fairy dust your way! You''re a pro at the interview thing by now, so you have that over your maybe less-experienced competition for one...also, if you can sell a product you can sell yourself, so do that in the actual interview. Make a list of your positive attributes (and don''t forget to include one negative one that you can put a very positive spin on if asked ''what''s your biggest weakness''), and SELL it to them! You will be fantastic, third time''s the charm, right!?!
Thanks Monarch! You''re right, I am practically a pro at interviewing by now. I''m prepping hard core today on behavioral questions then tomorrow on the company itself -- I tend to be more prepared than other candidates (according to my recruiter who did the phone interview with me -- she said that it was a breath of fresh air to interview me and that I was the only one all day who had good answers and who researched the company -- WHO doesn''t research the company???). I''ve been the underprepared one, thinking that I was prepared, so I know that I could definately beat the old me in an interview, so I''m hoping that there''s at least a couple people who are like how I was when I first started interviewing in this industry!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/3/2007 11:12:20 AM
Author: *~Sweetpea~*

Date: 9/3/2007 12:14:56 AM
Sweetpea:

A Positive Attitude, and Self Confidence will probably be your best assets. The Dr recomendations will help too if presented at the right time (I used to have a ''reference'' list printed on the same paper as my resume that I could hand over with a few comments).

Perry
Hi Perry!
Thanks for the advice -- my positive attitude is definately something I rely on because I''m not a pushy sales-y type salesperson. I rely more on building relationships with people to move into making the sale, and for me it really works.
I think that''s a great way to handle it. Building relationships is always important, no matter what job you''re doing. Best wishes!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sending ps dust your way. sprinkle sprinkle
2.gif

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/3/2007 6:32:27 PM
Author: Skippy123
Sending ps dust your way. sprinkle sprinkle
2.gif
Thanks Skippy! I''m currently reviewing company literature, hopefully this will work out!!! I really want to work with the company I''m interviewing iwth tomorrow!

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
First off, thanks everyone for the well wishes!!

I just got back and had the 3 district manager interview (sort of a panel interview). I think it went pretty well, the only negative thing they could think of is that I don''t have as much experience, but I countered that saying in just 2.5 months I rose in rank 23% and I''m confident that in 4 I''ve risen at least 30% (we don''t have our numbers yet for this quarter) and that I''m a proven performer and results oriented.

So, I leave, almost get home, and realize they never asked for my unofficial transcript. In the confirmation email for the interview, it said to be sure to bring 3 copies of my resume and the transcript, so I started to worry that it could look bad that they don''t have it, maybe they forgot to ask for it but maybe they''d use it later, etc. So I decide to drive back and make a little folder with a thank you card thanking them for the interview and explaining how excited I am to work with them and also telling them that I wanted to make sure they had the transcript since the email said to bring it. I also snuck in my letters of reccomendation.

So I leave them with the receptionist, and I''m about to leave when the regional recruiter (who I''d met earlier) called my name. I was like "uh oh" and he told me to come with him. He was on his cell phone as we walked down the hall so I felt super awkward. He then said "the managers were talking about the candidates and the Ann Arbor manager will want to meet you." So, he pulled out the Ann Arbor manager who said he''d like to meet up wiht me today in Ann Arbor when he''s finished after 2 or 3!!!!!

I can''t beleive it -- I know I shouldn''t get my hopes up, there are likely better qualified candidates, but it seems like a good sign, and how''s that for timing? If I''d never decided to go back and give them my transcript, who knows if he would have been motivated to persue me with other candidates in mind!!!

I''ll let you all know how my meeting with him goes after I have it!

36.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is a good sign Sweetpea!
36.gif

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/5/2007 11:29:32 AM
Author: Skippy123
That is a good sign Sweetpea!
36.gif
I hope so...so far I haven''t heard anything...

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
To continue my (hopefully ending soon) saga -- I had the interview with the DM at a local restaurant and it went SOOOOO WELL! 2 interviews in one day are draining and I think restaurant ones can be especially awkward, although this one wasnt!

He's moved me on again to the next step. It doesn't gaurentee I'll get hired, but he said I've made it further than 90% of applicants, so even if this one position doesnt work out there will be others that I'll be considered for and only have to interview once per manager...so possibly 0-2 more interviews!!!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you had a positive restaurant interview, Sweetpea! I''ve never done one of those before but hear they can be daunting. Oh, also wanted to point out that sometimes I think (but I''m by no means an interview expert, lol) you can put a positive spin on your "in-experience" by telling the company they''re getting someone fresh who has few prior conceptions and is more inclined to soak up their ways of doing things like a sponge! Obviously that would be in addition to the numerical data you''ve provided them from your previous position(s) proving that you''ve been an asset in the past. Just a thought...someone correct me if I''m giving less than sage advice, please.

Good luck with all of this, you''re doing great and your positive attitude and preparation will get you where you want to be, I''m sure!
36.gif

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
It looks very promising! Goodluck
36.gif

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
*hopefully* last interview today! I have a ride along with another rep that I would be replacing. Wish me luck!!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Best wishes today fellow pom pom girl! heehee

Go team SweetPea
36.gif

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
Another interview today...wish me luck ... again.

I''m so tired of interviewing.

Still haven''t heard from the company that I had 4 interviews with ... the manager did call me though to let me know that he hadn''t made a decision yet and he wanted to make sure I didn''t think that they went with someone else yet...whatever that means.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sweetpea:

It means that they are interested in you; but that they have not yet decided to hire someone.

The reasons for that vary: Perhaps they actually have two very close contenders and can''t decide which one.

More likely though, they have been looking how their company is doing and are questioning do they need to hire additional people at this time. That happens during slowdowns.

Keep the good attitude up... I know you will do well.

Perry

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/24/2007 9:44:14 AM
Sweetpea:

It means that they are interested in you; but that they have not yet decided to hire someone.

The reasons for that vary: Perhaps they actually have two very close contenders and can't decide which one.

More likely though, they have been looking how their company is doing and are questioning do they need to hire additional people at this time. That happens during slowdowns.

Keep the good attitude up... I know you will do well.

Perry
Hi Perry,

That's interesting that you said that because the message that manager left on my phone was "I just wanted to let you know we haven't made a decision yet and are waiting on some additional information to filter down through upper management." Hopefully I'll hear either way this week.

The interview today went really well, but they always go really well and then I end up in limbo. I've only had one go badly in this whole process. The others are

1) Company 1 waiting to hear what upper management has to say, whatever that means, after getting through all 4 interview phases..

2) 2nd interview will be scheduled with company 2 once they hold them in my area, which could be any time ever, but I was "congradulated" on passing the screening interview and moving onto the next step,

3) company 3 I passed the phone interview and did well on the in person interview and he said he'd have "no qualms about hiring me, but he'd have to have me also interview with his boss" (today's so not frustrated yet, since it's only been like 8 hours)

4) Company 4 I passed the phone screen and have my in-person interview tomorrow but it took them a month to schedule the in person interview, so I know that company is in no rush...

What is scary to me is while it looks great like "hey, I have alot going on" I have not that much experience, and these jobs are so super competitive that I feel like I make it to the last round, do super well, they like me, say that the experience thing isn't a huge deal and then I don't hear back forever, and may not end up getting ANY of the jobs.

Sorry to vent, I just want to work and I'm tired of leaving interviews KNOWING that I did well, because they're telling me I did, then being in limbo forever.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sweetpea:

I understand, I really do. I got left in that kind of limbo for years once.

Plan A: Get a job in your chosen field.

Plan B: ... What is your plan B - have you given it any thought. I had to develop one once.

If I am laid off tomorrow... I know what I'm doing the next day (and it will not be writting my resume and looking for another full time job).

Not only that - but I also have some interesting hobbies and interest. Things I do that may not bring me any $ - but keep me in contact with other interesting people. Case in point... something I've been toying with relates to solar heating of homes.

If you are interested here is another forum I participate on - and you can see the discussion on my latest idea related to solar heating energy storage:

http://forums.invision.net/Thread.cfm?CFApp=2&Thread_ID=49857&mc=17

Now in the end maybe all I do is spend 100 hours researching something and find out it wont work (and I spent probably 20 hours on it this past weekend); but it keeps me sharp and keeps me in contact with some great people.

I do hope you have something similar.

When I long term unemployed I donated literally thousands of hours to my favorite charity over a couple year period - and was able to get some great reference letters from the National President of the orginization as a result.

Keep you head up, I know you will do well (but, believe you will do better if you develop other interest and have a plan B to fall back on when needed).

But for now - focus on doing well in the job interviews and keep your head up high- it will turn out well.

Perry

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
Hi All!

Here''s another installment in what really feels like the never ending story of trying to find a job, even though it''s been 2 months (or a little over, 2 months that I''ve been unemployed).

So, I''ve made it to the final round in the interview process (again) for a job that I really want. I''ve had 3 interviews so far and according to my recruiter, I''m "neck and neck" with the other candidate for the position. I have my final interview tomorrow. I''m really hoping this works out because I really want this position - I met with another rep who would be on my "team" at this company and he and I hit it off immediately and got along so well, and I could tell that we''d have a great working relationship. On part of my "why me" schpiel, I''m going to mention that they have a great training program so while I don''t have as much experience in outside sales, in my short time I have demonstrated an ability to perform exceptionally well in a difficult selling situation, I will be able to really learn a lot about selling and the rep said that I''d be a great fit for the team personality wise, which is really something that can''t be taught, and also demonstrates my ability to build rapport quickly. I''ll refine it to sound better, but I''m really hoping for this job.

My next job prospect wouldn''t start until jan 22 and would be another set of 4-5 interviews. I''m so tired of interviewing and I''ve found a company that I really like and that I really want to work for, so I''m hoping they pick me, and don''t go with the person with more experience. How am I supposed to gain experience if I don''t get hired?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results