shape
carat
color
clarity

<3 setting, and an introduction

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
madelise|1334108048|3168075 said:
I think it looks better with 4. Can you make it with 4 prongs, but do the double claws? I think that's safer than 4 by itself since it's wider?

...it's like you read my mind!

I like the double prong, it's a good compromise - I think I'll ask about it. I worry about contacting him now because we're planning on purchasing around summer. The only reason I really started looking around now is the estate piece I found (and this setting is all the good parts of that setting).

Great idea about hand washing only - someone else mentioned that to me today while showing me their ring. I'll likely make an effort to do that more.

p.s. i had already bookmarked a couple spacers awhile ago anticipating needing them ;-) - OCD remember? haha

audball

Ideal_Rock
I think it looks better with 4. Can you make it with 4 prongs, but do the double claws? I think that's safer than 4 by itself since it's wider? Like this: http://www.victorcanera.com/jewelry/engagement-rings/the-trueste-solitaire-with-antique-cushion.html or this: http://www.victorcanera.com/jewelry...rench-cut-solitaire-with-round-brilliant.html? You can ask Victor on his opinion of what'll be safer. I'm so happy you chose your setting! And are choosing VC! :)

I just want to say that the hand sanitizing gel (depending on what formula) gets the pave gross looking too, though. One of my old supervisors just washed her hands all the time because of it. In fact it gets any diamond gross looking. I just always wash my hands in hot water : )
Hmm...I think it depends on the size of the diamond you are looking to buy. I tend to prefer the look of 6 prongs if the stone is larger (say 1.2+) because it does give the stone the roundness in appearance. But 6 prongs can look overwhelming (to me) on a smaller stone and then I prefer 4 because you can see more of the stone despite the squareness it shows.

Do you have any idea what size diamond you'll be getting?

I also agree about the hand sanitizer! It's practically like putting lotion on your hands without removing your rings. Your brilliantly cut stone will look very dull very quickly if you cover it in goop several times per day! And the pave will get gunky too. Hot water is a good way to go, great advice, madelise!

audball

Ideal_Rock
nicstx|1334109459|3168093 said:
I think it looks better with 4. Can you make it with 4 prongs, but do the double claws? I think that's safer than 4 by itself since it's wider?

...it's like you read my mind!

I like the double prong, it's a good compromise - I think I'll ask about it. I worry about contacting him now because we're planning on purchasing around summer. The only reason I really started looking around now is the estate piece I found (and this setting is all the good parts of that setting).

Great idea about hand washing only - someone else mentioned that to me today while showing me their ring. I'll likely make an effort to do that more.

p.s. i had already bookmarked a couple spacers awhile ago anticipating needing them ;-) - OCD remember? haha
I also agree with madelise. If sitting flush is important to you VC should be able to make that work without much trouble. Just make sure he knows up front. Also note, that without a donut, the setting will sit higher off your finger and depending on the size of the center stone, this may or may not be comfortable for you, particularly for gloving off and on.

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
we're looking around the 1.5 range, and bigger if we can swing it :Up_to_something:

I posted on SMTB and it looks like it's not a known PS type ring, my internet searches also didn't bring up any hand shots. :( Maybe I'll ask VC?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd first focus on finding your center stone :) then contact VC! Summer isn't that that far away.. It's mid-April! ;-) and it takes him time to complete the ring, too, since he hand forges everything himself. Give yourself enough time to contact VC and work on finalizing your tweaks to his ring.

I never thought about what Audball pointed out: w/o the donut, it'd stick out higher. Eek! I'd ask VC about that for sure. I'd hate for you to have a beautiful, beautiful ring that doesn't work well with your work environment! And since you're no longer looking at bezels... >_<

Phdecorate

Shiny_Rock
I am hoping/ thinking of a VC halo ring, there have been quite a few posted here to look at, starting with Frankie's ring. Anyway, from all I have read, he can tweak any de sign differently for your needs and wants, so I am sure if you want the lower height he can do shorter stems. It seems like he is taking at least six weeks now, if that helps your time frame!

audball

Ideal_Rock
For a 1.5ish I would prefer a 6 prong. I tend to prefer no donuts too, but with that size of rock and no donut it is going to sit higher off your finger. As long as you're okay with that, go for it. But it does have the potential to snag your gloves.

VC should be able to modify anything you like. I haven't seen anyone with that setting on PS, but I'm sure that VC can provide you some photos (and maybe a video!) to help give you some more looks at it before you choose.

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
madelise - i agree with finding the diamond first too, but we need to know what to expect with setting costs in an effort to determine what size diamond we can get. Luckily i got a nice tax return back (he didn't :snore: ) and although he refuses to allow me to add to the ring fund i'm going to put it away just in case :Up_to_something: - I also wanted to start a watch fund for him but he'd rather me take whatever money I save to put something "practical" as he puts it.

ph: I loved halo's too - but after trying on it was too much for me!!! I don't think I'll care how long it takes to get the ring as much as I do about finalizing a ring. Now that I've picked a design I finally want he keep sending me similar type rings in an effort to "shop around." I think my mind is pretty made up about this one thought, so that's good :).

audball: i agree, I like the 6 prongs as well - even if it shows less diamond. I like the round look or else I'd be looking at radiant cuts. I like the look of the donut, but I worry about wedding band I would buy and the durability next to the pave and donut. I may have to buy a custom spacer which is fine. I think I definitely like the look of 5 stone rings and a custom plain spacer IMO would be a gorgeous break between 2 different textures.

:) i will keep you posted

audball

Ideal_Rock
nicstx|1334604354|3172551 said:
madelise - i agree with finding the diamond first too, but we need to know what to expect with setting costs in an effort to determine what size diamond we can get. Luckily i got a nice tax return back (he didn't :snore: ) and although he refuses to allow me to add to the ring fund i'm going to put it away just in case :Up_to_something: - I also wanted to start a watch fund for him but he'd rather me take whatever money I save to put something "practical" as he puts it.

ph: I loved halo's too - but after trying on it was too much for me!!! I don't think I'll care how long it takes to get the ring as much as I do about finalizing a ring. Now that I've picked a design I finally want he keep sending me similar type rings in an effort to "shop around." I think my mind is pretty made up about this one thought, so that's good :).

audball: i agree, I like the 6 prongs as well - even if it shows less diamond. I like the round look or else I'd be looking at radiant cuts. I like the look of the donut, but I worry about wedding band I would buy and the durability next to the pave and donut. I may have to buy a custom spacer which is fine. I think I definitely like the look of 5 stone rings and a custom plain spacer IMO would be a gorgeous break between 2 different textures.

I think if the gap/spacer wouldn't bother you/you're willing to embrace the look that the donut would be the way to go to help keep it lower on your finger.

audball

Ideal_Rock
nicstx|1334624682|3172911 said:
aud, the boy just sent me this: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/pave-and-side-stones/3-row-domed-pave-solitaire-18k-white-gold-5545w18

we can get the diamond and the setting from the same vendor and avoid the donut. Thoughts?
It's gorgeous! I've personally spoken on the phone with both Brian and Lesley during my recut process we had them take care of and they are truly wonderful to work with. I imagine their stock setting would be significantly cheaper than a custom VC too which could allow for a bigger diamond!

Same concerns with the pave with gloving/hand sanitizer potentially causing it extra distress and/or gunking it up, but that is no different than the other setting and shouldn't be a factor if it's the style you have your heart set on. You'll also need a spacer to protect the pave and your wedding band, but same as the other one too.

I think it's a winner :) :) :)

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
:appl: yay, ok sent a quote check to VC, we'll see what the difference is and go from there. I asked for a quote on the 6 prong, with a 2mm band and either a video or hand shots of someone with a stone 7.5-2.0 mm with profile shots. We'll compare to the BGD and go from there. It sounds like the boy is closer to getting the diamond than he lets on.

I'll update when i can, I start nights tomorrow and may be MIA. Exciting!

Phdecorate

Shiny_Rock
nicstx|1334630025|3172994 said:
:appl: yay, ok sent a quote check to VC, we'll see what the difference is and go from there. I asked for a quote on the 6 prong, with a 2mm band and either a video or hand shots of someone with a stone 7.5-2.0 mm with profile shots. We'll compare to the BGD and go from there. It sounds like the boy is closer to getting the diamond than he lets on.

So exciting....would you post VC's time lime wheyuo find out? I am curious if he is running longer than six wks...

audball

Ideal_Rock
nicstx|1334630025|3172994 said:

Can't wait to see what he says! I know another poster recently had a custom piece done by VC. A 3 stone with a plain shank, though the basket was quite detailed, but she paid 6k...

You'd also not have to worry about extra shipping/separate insurance by getting the stone and setting from the same place. It's doable, but a little bit of a pain to get just the stone have it insured, send it to be set, and then have to update your insurance to a final piece. But that's an option too.

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
update:
VC wrote back it and the price was around what we expected. I had asked questions in my initial quote that he didn't answer, so we're going to send another one with them again. Unfortunately I sent the quote, so the boy is now emailing via my account. (but also good for me to snoop :Up_to_something: )

Biggest deciding factors:
PRICE:
- VC: worth it for quality workmanship and subtle differences between rings based on other factors below
- BGD: worth it for basic ring if preferences mentioned aren't compatible with ring

SHANK
- VC: unknown mm width of band (i asked him if he thought a 1.8 - 2.0mm shank would be feasible/durable)
- BGD: 2.5mm

DONUT:
- VC: donut with pave detailing allowing for a lower set diamond? may need custom spacer - asked for thoughts and pictures
- BGD: no donut, likely able to have WB sit flush with common run of the mill spacer, likely no restraints on height

UPGRADES:
- VC: his thoughts on possible upgrades and negative effects on ring
- BGD: haven't asked

The boy was thinking about sending a small email to BGD to also get their thoughts on my questions, but I do like the idea of a hand forged custom made ring. VC also referred us to someone who can buy our diamond for us that would keep the diamond 'in house', I can maybe give you more details if you want pHdecorate in some non public way as it was attached to our quote.

I kinda feel like this should go in RT, but i like hiding it here with you lovely ladies ;-) will keep you posted!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
nicstx|1334784132|3174543 said:
update:
VC wrote back it and the price was around what we expected. I had asked questions in my initial quote that he didn't answer, so we're going to send another one with them again. Unfortunately I sent the quote, so the boy is now emailing via my account. (but also good for me to snoop :Up_to_something: )

PRICE:
- VC: worth it for quality workmanship and subtle differences between rings based on other factors below
- BGD: worth it for basic ring if preferences mentioned aren't compatible with ring

SHANK
- VC: unknown mm width of band (i asked him if he thought a 1.8 - 2.0mm shank would be feasible/durable)

DONUT:
- VC: donut with pave detailing allowing for a lower set diamond? may need custom spacer - asked for thoughts and pictures
- BGD: no donut, likely able to have WB sit flush with common run of the mill spacer, likely no restraints on height

UPGRADES:

The boy was thinking about sending a small email to BGD to also get their thoughts on my questions, but I do like the idea of a hand forged custom made ring. VC also referred us to someone who can buy our diamond for us that would keep the diamond 'in house', I can maybe give you more details if you want pHdecorate in some non public way as it was attached to our quote.

I kinda feel like this should go in RT, but i like hiding it here with you lovely ladies ;-) will keep you posted!

VC can do 1.8-2mm shanks. He does them all the time. In fact, if you were going to go that much thinner, I'd prefer VC, since the metal is all hand forged from 1 piece. It'd be more durable than having it poured and casted, which could have tiny little air bubbles.

However, the BGD setting is also beautiful. Haha PS is no help in choosing what to go with. There's TOO many good options! If you do post in RT, post with a poll attached. That way people can vote on what they think looks better? :)

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
audball|1334611209|3172707 said:
I think if the gap/spacer wouldn't bother you/you're willing to embrace the look that the donut would be the way to go to help keep it lower on your finger.[/quote]

OK since im new and still learning...wtf is this elusive donut you guys speak of? LOL Is it under the stone and how does it affect the band?? :???:

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
redsoxgrl|1334793343|3174645 said:
OK since im new and still learning...wtf is this elusive donut you guys speak of? LOL Is it under the stone and how does it affect the band?? :???:

:wavey: hi
i guess the donut is the name given to the area under the head of the ring where it meets the band. In the VC setting there's a rounded shape at the bottom that juts out. If you look on the 4 prong video you can see it as the ring rotates :)

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
redsoxgrl|1334793343|3174645 said:

nicstx answered what a donut was. ;-) it affects how the WB sits next to it because it protrudes out from the shank of the E-Ring. So your band wouldn't sit flush, unless it was one of those shaped-to-fit types (which I LOATHE because you can't wear those on their own!). Either way, PS rules: if you have bling bling on your e-ring and your band, wear a spacer regardless because those diamonds will "eat away" at each other and at the metal!

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I am half retarded! Thank you! I can't watch the video, but the way you described it madelise, i get it! I will have to watch the video later when i get home.

So does every e ring with wedding band that doesn't sit flush need a spacer?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
redsoxgrl|1334801175|3174737 said:
I am half retarded! Thank you! I can't watch the video, but the way you described it madelise, i get it! I will have to watch the video later when i get home

So does every e ring with wedding band that doesn't sit flush need a spacer?

Here, I screen printed the donut on the Emilya. No, you don't "need" a spacer, it just won't sit flush. If you don't mind it not sitting flush, then you're fine. But, if you travel the worlds of RT often, you'll always hear of people who damaged their WB and ERing because the diamonds scratched away at each other. So they always advocate that if you ever wear your Ering and WBand together, you get a spacer. And this has nothing to do with your set sitting flush or not. Spacers are tiny. They have 1mm ones on Etsy. You can't even see them IRL most times.

donut1.png

Donut2.png

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
OHH, ok. I get it now. Thanks madelise! :twirl: I guess i should start to try paying more attention to terminology and technical stuff instead of just drooling over bling! LOL

I really love that BGD one you posted nicstx!!!

audball

Ideal_Rock
madelise's illustration shows it perfectly! Glad it's cleared up. It is in fact the round circle at the base of the head, top of the shank that has a hole in it allowing the culet to be set lower so that ring doesn't sit as high off the finger. Pros/cons to it, some hate the look, some like it.

audball

Ideal_Rock
nicstx|1334784132|3174543 said:
update:

Only snoop as much as you want to know/he cares that you know! Sometimes a little surprise is good!

PRICE:

BGD quality is superb. Is it hand forged? No. But the quality is still great. If it allowed me to get a bigger stone because the setting cost less, I think I'd be leaning that way. You could always upgrade settings for a later anniversary. Also, it could be a potentially less expensive trial run on the setting. See how it goes with your work environment and find out if pave, etc can handle the wear/tear. Just a thought.

SHANK

Agreed with madelise. He can do a thinner shank. Remember getting something much smaller than 2mm (unless the shank is thicker sitting off your finger, could have some durability issues with bending. Usually paired with pave, you'll have to be even more gentle with it.

DONUT:

Ultimately I don't think this should be the deciding factor between the two makers. VC could make it without the donut. BGD could make it with one. Your preference. Go with the overall aesthetic and then add/remove it.

UPGRADES:

What do you mean by upgrades?

Make sure you run the numbers through the HCA! It is possible to find a superb/ideal cut stone through a non PS vendor, but PS vendors tend to make that easier. Would the diamond VC sources have any sort of trade up policy? BGD would have an upgrade policy if you guys wanted to go bigger for a later anniversary.

Feel free to hang out here! At this point you're asking more about aesthetics than numbers. Can't wait to hear what else you find out!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1334843757|3174992 said:
BGD quality is superb. Is it hand forged? No. But the quality is still great. If it allowed me to get a bigger stone because the setting cost less, I think I'd be leaning that way. You could always upgrade settings for a later anniversary. Also, it could be a potentially less expensive trial run on the setting. See how it goes with your work environment and find out if pave, etc can handle the wear/tear. Just a thought.

YKW? This. It being a less expensive trial run on the setting.

audball

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1334861445|3175269 said:
audball|1334843757|3174992 said:

YKW? This. It being a less expensive trial run on the setting.
I thought it was a valid enough point to make. There are some settings that I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE, but I know myself and my work environment well enough to know that we wouldn't be a good match. Not saying this will be the case, but you never know.

Have you heard back on any of your other questions yet?

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
omg! pricescope keeps eating my replies! I'm sick of writing this response, I'll make it quick and copy and paste this incase pricescope gets hungry again. This is now version 4.

cliff notes:
VC wrote back
- no thinner than 2mm band
- no WB with ring
- if i want to wear WB with ring he need to change the profile of the ring to accomodate

i have gracefully bowed out. BF now has 2 pave and 2 non-pave options on the pinterest (i would be happy with any at this point). He's been directed to PS vendors, and has access to my account in case he wants to post. Lets see how long he keeps me out of the loop, the last time I did this he looked at me horrified and started sending me more settings - haha. All he has to do now is pick a diamond and pick one of the 4 settings. :) the end.

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
omg it worked... the one time i copied my response. gah

audball

Ideal_Rock
nicstx|1334985767|3176986 said:
omg! pricescope keeps eating my replies! I'm sick of writing this response, I'll make it quick and copy and paste this incase pricescope gets hungry again. This is now version 4.

cliff notes:
VC wrote back
- no thinner than 2mm band
- no WB with ring
- if i want to wear WB with ring he need to change the profile of the ring to accomodate

i have gracefully bowed out. BF now has 2 pave and 2 non-pave options on the pinterest (i would be happy with any at this point). He's been directed to PS vendors, and has access to my account in case he wants to post. Lets see how long he keeps me out of the loop, the last time I did this he looked at me horrified and started sending me more settings - haha. All he has to do now is pick a diamond and pick one of the 4 settings. :) the end.
Well that's that then! Time to sit back and relax! Enjoy the last few weeks/months as being a girlfriend!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1335045985|3177383 said:
Enjoy the last few weeks/months as being a girlfriend!

Ditto. Can't wait to find out what he gets you! :]

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results