shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Best treatment for DRY hair.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks iwanna! I had the gal at the healthfood store actually suggest oo for dry skin. But it would be kinda messy to slather on and jump in bed. However, I suppose I could curl up in a lawn bag....
9.gif
2.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/4/2008 3:46:58 PM
Author: honey22
Date: 11/4/2008 10:02:52 AM

Author: Italiahaircolor

Date: 11/4/2008 6:37:50 AM

Author: honey22

Date: 11/1/2008 12:38:11 PM

Author: vespergirl

Hi there, I have used everything from Fekkai & Pureology to Pantene, and my hands-down favorite is the Pantene Replenishing Mask (comes in a tub). It's only about $5, which is a total steal, since I have known to pay 10x as much, but it's the best I've used.

Ditto! I have used so many different products over the last freaking 15-20 yrs and I still come back to Pantene. I am sick to death of hairdressers raving on and on about how bad it is for your hair, but my hair is strong and healthy so WTH?!?! My hairdresser is always telling me (and others have commented too) how healthy and strong my hair is (I didn't even need to use conditioner until I started colouring it) and they have nothing to say when I tell them I use Pantene. I understand they have to push their own products, but my regular hairdresser rekons if it works then use it. She is jealous that my hair is soft and smooth, so I guess it can't be all bad.

I don't know if you blonde your hair Ellen, but I found that when I started highlighting my hair I had straw! I went from never using conditioner (maybe once a week or every two weeks) to using mega conditioning shampoo and conditioner everyday and also a leave in conditioner/treatment every wash. Now I have started colouring at home but going darker/same colour (ie. no blonde highlights) and my hair is much healthier. The colour seems to actually have a conditioning effect and I am back to using conditioner only occasionaly.
Not to be another harper...but Pantene is probably the single worst product you can use on your hair...bar none.

Pantene does make your hair shinny, strong, and lovely in appearence...but it does so by coating the hair strand with wax. That's right...wax. This makes it hard to color your hair because the wax coating has actually weighed the hair cuticle down, making the penetration of the strand nearly impossible. Along the same lines, moisture is unable to get into the strand, meaning if you were to stop using Pantene for an extended period of time--and began to clarify your hair (stripping away the wax coating) you'd notice your hair is actually damaged and dry.

I'm all for drug store products that still have product integrity...but Pantene has a long history of doing more damage than good in the long run.

I have heard this before, and I am not saying you are wrong, but I have spent time looking up the ingredients from Pantene and I can't find a compound that is wax, or close to it. What ingredient actually causes this? As a scientist, I am more curious than trying to prove anyone wrong, so please don't take offence.

I have also compared the chemicals in pantene and my other salon recommended products and they are bascially the same compounds, classes of chemicals. They all have detergent, oils and purfume. I can't see how Pantene is any different.

If I recall correctly it is a type of silicone.

Hows your hair going Ellen, have you seen an improvement?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey dee, haven''t got anything yet. I''m going to get my hair done today, and I''m going to see if she carries any of the recommendations, or can get one in easily (and maybe cheaper). I''ll let ya know!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
:) awesome hopefully she does :), dry hair is horrid.

Have fun at the salon I love getting my hair done, me time is good time :D

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/4/2008 11:22:42 AM
Author: IslandDreams
One of the best things you can do for dry hair is to wash is less frequently. Most people wash their hair way too often and the natural oils don''t have a chance to actually reach much of the length. Try going one more day than you normally would...so if you wash every other day, wash every third day etc. It''ll feel weird at first but your hair will love you for it.

I have dyed and highlighted shoulder blade length hair. I wash it every 6 days and it really doesn''t look bad or feel bad. Honest. The hair stylists are always amazed at how good of condition my hair is given the amount of coloring/highlighting I do.

I also use the Infusium reconstructor...I put it in a spray bottle and use it after I wash & dry.
Island Dreams, thanks for the advice! For about the past two weeks I have been trying to wash my hair only every second day, instead of every day, and already I''m seeing an improvement. My hair is dry but with a greasy scalp. For the first week it felt kind of greasy on the no-wash day, but I started using Ojon Dry Shampoo and it made my roots thick & took the grease out. Now that it''s been a few weeks, my scalp is producing less oil - my body is adjusting to having the hair washed less, and producing less oil from day to day. My hair is so much softer and shinier, and all of the frizz is gone!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok goils, I''m back. She had never heard of Kerastase, that''s the second salon I''ve asked about it that never heard of it. You sure you all aren''t making it up?
2.gif
She did have the Joico K-Pak though (which is rated #1 by salons), so she used the reconstructioner on my hair after washing. It''s air drying now, so we''ll see how it is later. And I got it for a little over 2 bucks cheaper than online, so that''s good. Thanks again to all of you!

1237397y6kr97ild4.gif

amber_312

Shiny_Rock
for shampoo and conditioner:
http://www.ojon.com/

for styling products (his olive oil line is AMAZING!!!):
http://www.fredericfekkai.com/

1.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
amber, thanks! I will look those up.

Ok, after one treatment, no difference. It''s just as dry as ever.
39.gif
So, I have a tube of the reconstructioner. I will try it again, but my question is, how many times should I try it before it''s a no go? Can I use it every time I wash? Will that even make a difference, as in, if it was going to work, it would work on the first try? (there are NO instructions about this) I can return it if it doesn''t work, so I just need a timeline to figure out if and when to return it.

And sorry, that was actually 3 questions.
9.gif
25.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/19/2008 8:53:21 AM
Author: Ellen

Ok, after one treatment, no difference. It''s just as dry as ever.
39.gif
So, I have a tube of the reconstructioner. I will try it again, but my question is, how many times should I try it before it''s a no go? Can I use it every time I wash? Will that even make a difference, as in, if it was going to work, it would work on the first try? (there are NO instructions about this) I can return it if it doesn''t work, so I just need a timeline to figure out if and when to return it.

9.gif
25.gif
Usually you should notice some benefit immediately after a treatment, so if you don''t then it might not be the right product for you.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2008 9:02:05 AM
Author: Lorelei

Usually you should notice some benefit immediately after a treatment, so if you don''t then it might not be the right product for you.
Ok, fanks.
sniffly%20sad.gif

I guess I''ll order the Kerastase.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/19/2008 9:23:38 AM

Date: 11/19/2008 9:02:05 AM

Ok, fanks.
sniffly%20sad.gif

I guess I''ll order the Kerastase.
Try the masquintense, that is great stuff.
25.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2008 9:31:54 AM

25.gif
This one? That stuff is spensive!
yikes2.gif
How many applications do you think I could get out of that small jar?
40.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/18/2008 3:37:12 PM
Ok goils, I''m back. She had never heard of Kerastase, that''s the second salon I''ve asked about it that never heard of it. You sure you all aren''t making it up?
2.gif
She did have the Joico K-Pak though (which is rated #1 by salons), so she used the reconstructioner on my hair after washing. It''s air drying now, so we''ll see how it is later. And I got it for a little over 2 bucks cheaper than online, so that''s good. Thanks again to all of you!

1237397y6kr97ild4.gif
HI:

I have used K-Pac since the beginning of time...and it was helpful. But honestly (no actually this is ficticious
9.gif
...), Kerastase works wonders--for me. But not for my sister with fly away hair.....

cheers--Sharon

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/19/2008 9:39:44 AM

Date: 11/19/2008 9:31:54 AM

25.gif
This one? That stuff is spensive!
yikes2.gif
How many applications do you think I could get out of that small jar?
40.gif
Yiss!
face20.gif
You don''t need much, a dollop the size of a walnut or 2! So you could get a few applications out of the wee pot! When I use it I am fluffing my hair constantly - hehe!
16.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2008 9:40:03 AM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

I have used K-Pac since the beginning of time...and it was helpful. But honestly (no actually this is ficticious
9.gif
...), Kerastase works wonders--for me. But not for my sister with fly away hair.....

cheers--Sharon
LOL Goof. Thankies!
2.gif

So far folica.com is the cheapest, which lil posted. At 45+6 shipping, that''s a wee bit better....

Lorelei, I want to fluff my hair, not have fluffy hair.
39.gif

I''ll search a bit more to see if I can get it any cheaper.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2008 1:26:28 PM
woohoo.gif

Leave it on a decent amount of time for your first treatment, half an hour or so.
Will do!

woohoo stealer
25.gif
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/19/2008 1:31:26 PM

woohoo.gif

Leave it on a decent amount of time for your first treatment, half an hour or so.
Will do!

woohoo stealer
25.gif
9.gif
Moi??
12.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2008 1:17:45 PM

I found a site with free shipping over 40.00, AND, the cheapest price yet!
cheerleader1.gif

Here's the link in case anyone needs/wants it.

http://www-cosmeticmagic-com.netsolads.com/kerastase-nutritive-masquintense-thick-6.8oz.aspx

Thanks again guys! Please keep fingies crossed that it works.
woohoo.gif

Also you can glad wrap your hair (I think you guys call it cling wrap the clear plastic stuff that you cover salads with) it helps retain the heat from your scalp across your whole head and intensifies it. Just wrap your hair up around the back of your head like you would do when wearing a shower cap :D.

I have used Joico and I really don't like it.

I need to go get myself a treatment my hairdresser has killed my hair and she turned it ashy
7.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/22/2008 4:07:13 AM
Author: Deelight

cheerleader1.gif

http://www-cosmeticmagic-com.netsolads.com/kerastase-nutritive-masquintense-thick-6.8oz.aspx

Also you can glad wrap your hair (I think you guys call it cling wrap the clear plastic stuff that you cover salads with) it helps retain the heat from your scalp across your whole head and intensifies it. Just wrap your hair up around the back of your head like you would do when wearing a shower cap :D.

I need to go get myself a treatment my hairdresser has killed my hair and she turned it ashy
7.gif
Good hinty poo Dee!
woohoo.gif

El has it arrived yet?
9.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2008 4:14:46 AM

cheerleader1.gif

7.gif

Good hinty poo Dee!
woohoo.gif

El has it arrived yet?
9.gif

Thanks Lozza, I also do this when I home colour my hair as well, same principle and it helps to stop colour droppage :D.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

I have used Joico and I really don''t like it.

7.gif
Good hinty poo Dee!
woohoo.gif

El has it arrived yet?
9.gif
Indeed! Thanks Dee. Nothing like walking around looking like a leftover....Oh who am I kidding, I AM a leftover!
39.gif
9.gif

Not here yet.
tapping.gif

Dee, I hope you get your hair fixed.
40.gif

p.s. Why does Dee call Lorelei Lozza??

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/22/2008 8:37:06 AM

7.gif
Good hinty poo Dee!
woohoo.gif

El has it arrived yet?
9.gif
Indeed! Thanks Dee. Nothing like walking around looking like a leftover....Oh who am I kidding, I AM a leftover!
39.gif
9.gif

Not here yet.
tapping.gif

Dee, I hope you get your hair fixed.
40.gif

p.s. Why does Dee call Lorelei Lozza??
AJ started that, that is what the Aussie PSers call me now, as ' Lozza' is a typical Aussie nickname!
9.gif

You would be Ezza! And as long as you are a tasty leftover, its all good!
16.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2008 8:52:41 AM

AJ started that, that is what the Aussie PSers call me now, as ' Lozza' is a typical Aussie nickname!
9.gif

16.gif
lol.gif
I'll buy that!
bat%20eyes3.gif

And thanks for splaining! Ezza huh?
hmmm.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/22/2008 9:40:47 AM

Date: 11/22/2008 8:52:41 AM

AJ started that, that is what the Aussie PSers call me now, as '' Lozza'' is a typical Aussie nickname!
9.gif

16.gif
lol.gif
I''ll buy that!
bat%20eyes3.gif

And thanks for splaining! Ezza huh?
hmmm.gif
Yis. Ezza.
smoke.gif

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2008 8:53:21 AM

Ok, after one treatment, no difference. It's just as dry as ever.
39.gif
So, I have a tube of the reconstructioner. I will try it again, but my question is, how many times should I try it before it's a no go? Can I use it every time I wash? Will that even make a difference, as in, if it was going to work, it would work on the first try? (there are NO instructions about this) I can return it if it doesn't work, so I just need a timeline to figure out if and when to return it.

9.gif
25.gif

Oh
7.gif
I feel bad. I am a big fan of Joico K-pak reconstructor, it's worked wonders for me. I hope they can give you your money back, or perhaps I can buy the tube from you!
3.gif

Hmm, I've never used the 'treatment' type, although I plan to. I use the normal shampoo, conditioner and the spray-on stuff, because it's so easy.
Perhaps your normal shampoo and conditioner is not really helping the process? Although you did say you were happy with those.
Perhaps your hair a different kind of 'dry' to mine, and needs a different type of treatment altogether. My hair's not a 'dry' type, it just gets broken / thinnning ends etc because it's long.
Perhaps a coating / protective type product is exactly what you need? My sister also loves the Kerestase, although it did nothing for me (!) Her hair type is much coarser than mine.
Maybe you should go for the stuff specifically designed for curly hair (that's your hair type, right), like the OUIDAD Sunkist mentioned earlier (previous page).

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol.gif
at ezza

Ok, don't mind this (really horrible) pic, I'm learning my new program.
20.gif

Yay, it worked!! We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.
25.gif

experiment1012.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2008 10:16:23 AM
Author: LaraOnline

Oh
7.gif
I feel bad. I am a big fan of Joico K-pak reconstructor, it's worked wonders for me. I hope they can give you your money back, or perhaps I can buy the tube from you!
3.gif

Hmm, I've never used the 'treatment' type, although I plan to. I use the normal shampoo, conditioner and the spray-on stuff, because it's so easy.
Perhaps your normal shampoo and conditioner is not really helping the process? Although you did say you were happy with those.
Perhaps your hair a different kind of 'dry' to mine, and needs a different type of treatment altogether. My hair's not a 'dry' type, it just gets broken / thinnning ends etc because it's long.
Perhaps a coating / protective type product is exactly what you need? My sister also loves the Kerestase, although it did nothing for me (!) Her hair type is much coarser than mine.
Maybe you should go for the stuff specifically designed for curly hair (that's your hair type, right), like the OUIDAD Sunkist mentioned earlier (previous page).
Oh, don't feel bad!! It's not your fault, everybody is different. And it was worth a try since she had it in! And yes, I get my money back, so no worries.
2.gif

Mine doesn't really split or break, it's just horribly dry. We'll see if this other stuff works. But thank you anyway, I really appreciated your help!

And yes, hair is curly.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay Ezza! Told ya you would work it out!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results