shape
carat
color
clarity

Wow.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
As a lot of you know, from my dust request from last June, my dad has been battling CLL since 2006. Thankfully (I seriously cannot thank everyone that was here for me when I needed prayers most) my dad has been in remission and hopefully will remain well for a very long time.

Today, my friend posted this article:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44090512/ns/health-cancer/?GT1=43001#.TkMAVoLZBdg

I hope, pray, and really wish that this really isn't too good to be true and that this may be the beginning of something really big and life changing for many people out there with cancer.

Check it out.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Whoa. That is amazing, and seriously the science behind it is creepishly sci-fi but incredible. I also praythat this is true and can only continue to aid in future cancer treatment development.

Verdy

Shiny_Rock
I really do hope this is a revolutionary step towards curing cancer. So many people are diagnosed every year, and more and more lives are lost by the minute, causing so much hurt and pain for families around the world. I pray that this is just the step forward that everyone that has suffered or has had a family member suffer from this horrible disease has been hoping for. :))

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
That is absolutely fascinating. I hope it continues to work as well on others & other cancers. It's a miracle even only for those 3 people & their families.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Hopefully cancer becomes something that we tell our grandchildren is something that used to exist.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Great to hear your dad is doing well AN. And that article gives me hope that one day there will be a cure. Take care and continued good news for your dad.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, unbelievable! I hope they can get funding and do a full scale trial!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow. I really hope that it's true!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow is right! I'm so glad to hear that your Dad is doing well!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Found out today that this was also featured on the Today Show....awesome! Exposure is important with this...

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
Autumnovember, that's fantastic news about your Father.
Cancer, in all it's forms, is a terrible disease. I work in the medical field with cancer patients and I consider it the plague of the century.
If they have found a cure, it would be incredible.
I do have to say though that I'm concerned about genetically modifying HIV.
We have a generally "accepted theory" as to where HIV came from, and that is zoonosis and mutation of SIV. But it's only a theory, and not proven, merely our best guess. There are other theories as to where it came from or how it was created, but that's a whole other debate.
HIV has groups, types and subtypes, it mutates readily and sometimes within the same carrier.
Here's the thing, two HIV subtypes can meet in the cell of an infected person and exchange genetic material, thus creating a hybrid HIV virus. This isn't theory, this is already happening in HIV patients.
So what happens when you introduce this new, active, aggressive, genetically altered, strain of HIV?
They claim it's "safe" now, what happens when safe HIV meets unsafe HIV?

I hope this works and eradicates cancer, it would change our entire world for the better, a miracle. I also hope that the researchers execute the highest stringency in their testing, because the potential ramifications are more serious than a drug recall and a payout if it goes South.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

So happy to hear such good news for you and your Dad. Wow was the right word. Good luck to you both.

Annette

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
maplefemme|1313081156|2988612 said:
Cancer, in all it's forms, is a terrible disease. I work in the medical field with cancer patients and I consider it the plague of the century.
We have a generally "accepted theory" as to where HIV came from, and that is zoonosis and mutation of SIV. But it's only a theory, and not proven, merely our best guess. There are other theories as to where it came from or how it was created, but that's a whole other debate.
HIV has groups, types and subtypes, it mutates readily and sometimes within the same carrier.
Here's the thing, two HIV subtypes can meet in the cell of an infected person and exchange genetic material, thus creating a hybrid HIV virus. This isn't theory, this is already happening in HIV patients.
So what happens when you introduce this new, active, aggressive, genetically altered, strain of HIV?

I hope this works and eradicates cancer, it would change our entire world for the better, a miracle. I also hope that the researchers execute the highest stringency in their testing, because the potential ramifications are more serious than a drug recall and a payout if it goes South.

I would imagine that in the case of these participants, the benefits of participation outweighed the risks, which is why the research was approved to begin with. Apparently one of the participants was close to death.

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
thing2of2|1313088170|2988700 said:

I would imagine that in the case of these participants, the benefits of participation outweighed the risks, which is why the research was approved to begin with. Apparently one of the participants was close to death.

Definitely, Bill Ludwig was given a prognosis of a few weeks, he was a perfect candidate and I can only fathom what he must be feeling today.
My thoughts are more focused on societal risk, not personal risk.
But this report is also very layman, I'd like to see more clinical data to see how they are modifying HIV and how it is implemented in this treatment.
We are talking about a virus with no known cure that's lead to the deaths over 25 million people globally. I think it's natural to question a medical treatment that uses a virus we have failed to control yet.

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Using HIV to our advantage. It's just so far fetched, it works.
There have been astounding cases of reversing hiv/aids through the works of Dr. Todd Ovokaitys. Also sci-fi-esque, but again, if it works, why judge?
http://www.gematria.com/v/vspfiles/laser.html

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
wakingdreams53|1313161429|2989315 said:
Using HIV to our advantage. It's just so far fetched, it works.
There have been astounding cases of reversing hiv/aids through the works of Dr. Todd Ovokaitys. Also sci-fi-esque, but again, if it works, why judge?
http://www.gematria.com/v/vspfiles/laser.html

Not true....

Ovokaitys' little blue light show in Stellenbosch proved nothing of substance, he has never reversed HIV or AIDS in a single human being, no one has "reversed" it. But I wish him luck in all his future endeavours in regards.

I did my nursing practicum at an AIDS/HIV hospice and treatment centre, one of my colleagues works there also, we deliberate new advances in research and therapies weekly.
The only treatment that even uses the term "reverse" are Nucleoside Reverse Transcriptase Inhibitors, also called NRTIs or "nukes".
It does not reverse HIV/AIDS, it binds to an enzyme and essentially prevents HIV from being able to reproduce.
HAART is another therapy used. It reduces plasma HIV-1 levels below detectable limits. It's a remarkable therapy, however it's not a cure or a reversal.

Regardless, I don't want to take away from Autumnovember's initial reason for posting. I hope they do find a cure for cancer so that no one has to go through the fear of loosing someone they love....

My sincerest wishes for your Father's continued remission, Autumnovember.

asymons412

Shiny_Rock

This was my first thought; viral vectors are just not stable. I believe more research is required in the establishment of stable vectors before we can use them on larger scales. The other problem is that viral carriers frequently have vector-related toxicity at moderate doses.

Furthermore, it should be noted that the patients were not devoid of side effects (effects which left the patients extremely immunodeficient). I do truly believe however that delivery mechanisms such as this are the future of pharmaceuticals.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results