shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you feel the need to replace jewelry if your mom gifted you something?

worldtraveler101

Shiny_Rock
Okay this might be a bit controversial but here it is.

If your mother gifted you a piece of jewelry - say her ruby necklace and earrings - and say those were the only ruby pieces in her collection, would you try to buy her something that would replace what she gifted you?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmmm
i inherited mum's jewlery
it would have been nicer to have been gifted it but i guess she still wanted it :lol-2:
Without knowing the history of your daughter mother relationship do you usually gift something back to her when she gives you a gift ?
Will she be expecting something ?

It does sound a very beautiful, very generous gift with her rubies being given to you
might be nice to give her a thank you
But does it need to be like for like ?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope, as the pieces given to me by my mum were originally purchased with the intention of passing down to me and my sister, as she hardly ever wore any jewellery.

They sat in a safe deposit box in a bank for years until she felt I was old enough to look after them in my 30s.

DK :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a lovely gift your mom gave you. Meaningful and special.

To answer your question from my perspective and my experience.
No I wouldn't because that would upset my mom.

Instead I give her gifts I know she would enjoy and that she wouldn't buy for herself.
To me that is the definition of a good gift.
Getting the recipient something they would love and probably wouldn't buy for themselves.

If my mom gave me a piece of jewelry as a gift I wouldn't try to buy something similar in return.
First of all there is no way I could buy something similar in return as what she gave me is unique and special and irreplaceable TBH.

And a gift should come from the heart and not because someone gave you something and you feel you must return the favor. And certainly not going to replace what she gave me. That would not go over well with my mom.

But you must know your audience so to speak and if you think she would love that then go for it.
I can only speak from my experience.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would depend.
I guess if my mother gave me a piece of necklace she couldn’t wear anymore or it was too big or too heavy, IF I knew she would welcome a replacement piece ie a necklace she could wear, I would take her shopping and show her necklaces and ask if she would love a replacement piece.
Generally gifts are gifts, you don’t need to return with a gift unless such an event is culturally significant to you / your family.

worldtraveler101

Shiny_Rock
What a lovely gift your mom gave you. Meaningful and special.

To answer your question from my perspective and my experience.
No I wouldn't because that would upset my mom.

Instead I give her gifts I know she would enjoy and that she wouldn't buy for herself.
To me that is the definition of a good gift.
Getting the recipient something they would love and probably wouldn't buy for themselves.

If my mom gave me a piece of jewelry as a gift I wouldn't try to buy something similar in return.
First of all there is no way I could buy something similar in return as what she gave me is unique and special and irreplaceable TBH.

And a gift should come from the heart and not because someone gave you something and you feel you must return the favor. And certainly not going to replace what she gave me. That would not go over well with my mom.

But you must know your audience so to speak and if you think she would love that then go for it.
I can only speak from my experience.

Oh I actually didn't receive that gift from my mother haha. It was a hypothetical (ish) question. But yes, I agree that it wouldn't feel right to try and buy her something similar but the way I look at it is that she has collected certain jewels over a period of time - some in rubies, some in emeralds, some in diamonds etc.. if I feel like her gifting a particular piece to me or anyone would leave a gap in her wardrobe, I was wondering if it makes sense to fill that gap.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results