shape
carat
color
clarity

Woman killed by her laptop...sounded strange, so I had to investigate!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
That''s very sad
7.gif
And a good reminder to secure stuff within the car that could go flying around and cause injury in a crash!

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I *just* finished reading that article too. Sad.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
wow, how sad
7.gif

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/16/2009 9:18:47 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
That''s very sad
7.gif
And a good reminder to secure stuff within the car that could go flying around and cause injury in a crash!

Ditto. I just had very good co-work and friend die at 19 in a car accident. He didnt have his seatbelt on and was hit on the passenger side...not damage to the driver side...unfortuanlly because he didnt have his seatbelt on he flew into the windshield and then recoiled to the backseat of the car. He died on the table. It was horrible and his family is taking very very hard and so are his co-workers.
39.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s awful. Really sad.

Burk

Ideal_Rock
So sad!
15.gif

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
So sad.

Did anybody see that Greys Anatomy episode where the kid was sketching while on the schoolbus, and they got in a crash, and the pencil got stuck in his brain and ended up killing him? I think of things like that and like this laptop story when I''m driving and things are laying around loose. It''s pretty scary what can randomly happen that you''d never think of.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
hi beau :)

my husband and i used to go to church with a lovely couple whose daughter died from a horrific accident.

she was in her early 20''s and in a taxi on her way home from the airport after returning to australia from an overseas holiday. she convinced her parents not to pick her up as the plane might be delayed. on the way home in the cab, she was sitting directly in the middle of the back seat. a truck in front of the taxi hit the brakes suddenly for some reason. unfortunately, it was carrying a load of building timber which was not properly secured. it slid off the back of the truck, went straight through the middle of the windscreen missing the driver, and hitting our friends'' daughter in the head, decapitating her instantaneously.

you hear often that we MUST tie things down in a car, but still people dont do it. my biggest bug-bear is people who let their pets travel unrestrained in cars. tim and i have multiple show dogs, so we travel all the time with dogs in our car. an unrestrained dog is a hazard - to himself and to those in the car with him. the truck whose load decapitated our friends'' daughter wasn''t doing anything spectacular - it was simply stopping suddenly, as we all so often do while driving for one reason or another. the idea of what can happen to dogs in the same situation if unrestrained is my idea of a nightmare.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2009 12:58:31 PM
Author: whitby_2773

my husband and i used to go to church with a lovely couple whose daughter died from a horrific accident.

she was in her early 20''s and in a taxi on her way home from the airport after returning to australia from an overseas holiday. she convinced her parents not to pick her up as the plane might be delayed. on the way home in the cab, she was sitting directly in the middle of the back seat. a truck in front of the taxi hit the brakes suddenly for some reason. unfortunately, it was carrying a load of building timber which was not properly secured. it slid off the back of the truck, went straight through the middle of the windscreen missing the driver, and hitting our friends'' daughter in the head, decapitating her instantaneously.

you hear often that we MUST tie things down in a car, but still people dont do it. my biggest bug-bear is people who let their pets travel unrestrained in cars. tim and i have multiple show dogs, so we travel all the time with dogs in our car. an unrestrained dog is a hazard - to himself and to those in the car with him. the truck whose load decapitated our friends'' daughter wasn''t doing anything spectacular - it was simply stopping suddenly, as we all so often do while driving for one reason or another. the idea of what can happen to dogs in the same situation if unrestrained is my idea of a nightmare.
That is a horrible story Whitby. I cringe when I see a truck hauling logs, that are secured by chains..I always envision one of the chains breaking, the logs rolling off, and landing on cars passing by, going through windshields..etc. I also hate when I see trucks with trailers in front of me on the Hwy, with pastic, or tarps swaying in the wind, looking as though they will blow off at any minute. If it lands on your windshield, how would you even see enough to slow down and pull over without crashing?? Maybe I''ve been watching too many movies..but I do see alot of things flying off (or from) vehicles travelling at high speeds, and it''s scary!

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock

I also can''t stand it when pets aren''t restrained. I was getting on the interstate yesterday and this pickup truck was swerving all over the road. I looked in my rearview mirror, and his DOG was in the front passenger seat, running all over the place and making the driver mess up. SO stupid. Not to mention what would happen to the poor dog if they were in a wreck.

Around here, a lot of the "cool" (so they think) country guys like to cruise around in their pickup trucks with their dogs in the bed of the truck. Now I''ve got some country in me, but this just makes me boil inside. They must not think (or care) one bit about what would happen to that poor dog if the were in an accident. Heck, even if someone just rearended them, that dog could be thrown out and killed. My FI has told me about a time a while back where someone was on the interstate with their dog in the back of the truck. The dog decided to jump OUT of the truck while they were going 70+ mph. That caused a wreck on the interstate and killed someone, I think. There was at least a terrible accident all over the highway.

I just don''t know what people are thinking. Apparently they''re not...
38.gif

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Oh my God... I am so sorry to hear this story...

Bia

Ideal_Rock
EEK!
23.gif

I am guilty of not restraining my dog. She stays in the back but isn''t restrained. I remember when I first got her I got her one of those cushioned harnesses that you can strap to a seatbelt. She spent the entire time barking and wiggled out of it each time. It was the smallest size too!

She hates being restrained in any way other than a leash. But after reading this, I think I''ll try again.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2009 2:12:35 PM
Author: Bia
EEK!
23.gif

I am guilty of not restraining my dog. She stays in the back but isn''t restrained. I remember when I first got her I got her one of those cushioned harnesses that you can strap to a seatbelt. She spent the entire time barking and wiggled out of it each time. It was the smallest size too!

She hates being restrained in any way other than a leash. But after reading this, I think I''ll try again.

hi bia :)

my dogs hate those restraints too - but we used to persevere. now i have a car which will fit dog crates in the back, so we leave one crate permanently in and have installed a grate between the back open part of the car and the back seat. effectively, that gives us 2 small caged in areas and, if we''re ever in an accident, it''s a much smaller space for a dog to get tossed around in. not as good as a human seatbelt, but the best we can do, both for the dogs and for the people in our car.

luvthemstrawberries - i HATE it when people travel with dogs on their flat beds - but there''s one worse than that in my opinion....

some people seem to think "oh -my dog might jump/be bumped off - i''ll take care of that and leash him on so he can stand on the flat bed but not hop off.."

i cant tell you how many stories have gone through my in-box (am involved not only with showing dogs but also with dog rescue) about dogs who have been on leashes who have STILL jumped or been bumped off - without the driver knowing. the driver arrives at their destination...to find dead dog on end of leash dragging along behind the car, or dangling, strangled off the side.

happens OFTEN. and dont even start me on people who leave dogs in hot cars...

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2009 2:30:12 PM

hi bia :)

my dogs hate those restraints too - but we used to persevere. now i have a car which will fit dog crates in the back, so we leave one crate permanently in and have installed a grate between the back open part of the car and the back seat. effectively, that gives us 2 small caged in areas and, if we''re ever in an accident, it''s a much smaller space for a dog to get tossed around in. not as good as a human seatbelt, but the best we can do, both for the dogs and for the people in our car.

luvthemstrawberries - i HATE it when people travel with dogs on their flat beds - but there''s one worse than that in my opinion....

some people seem to think ''oh -my dog might jump/be bumped off - i''ll take care of that and leash him on so he can stand on the flat bed but not hop off..''

i cant tell you how many stories have gone through my in-box (am involved not only with showing dogs but also with dog rescue) about dogs who have been on leashes who have STILL jumped or been bumped off - without the driver knowing. the driver arrives at their destination...to find dead dog on end of leash dragging along behind the car, or dangling, strangled off the side.

happens OFTEN. and dont even start me on people who leave dogs in hot cars...
Oh my gosh. That is so sad and depressing. I can''t imagine the guilt and pain. That''s so terrible...
15.gif

I know what you mean about the hot cars too. It''s like, do it with a kid and it''s a huge hub-bub (as it well should be), but dogs, "eh it''s ok I guess"...
38.gif

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Trooper wears a seat belt harness, all 8 lbs. of him
2.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
That is so sad
7.gif

Whitby I am so sorry for your daughters friend
7.gif
, that is just tragic.

For people who don''t restrain your dogs please do especially if you drive ute''s (not sure what the US/UK equivilant of these are I think you call them trucks??) and have your dogs riding in the back tray walking around. As someone who has driven on the freeway and come across two dead dogs within 50 mtrs of each other that have obviously fell off the back of one of these cars is it heartbreaking.

It is also important if they are restrained in the open back that the restraint is short enough not to hang themselves either.

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
39.gif
Scary
39.gif

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Yikes!
32.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results