clarity

Will you get a flu shot this fall?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never had one in my life... :silenced:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I never used to get it either, but then one year I got a respiratory flu and it was awful, so I decided to start getting it each year. I have already had mine this year and so has my whole family.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Yes. I get one and so do my kids. My husband chooses not to. So far, no one has gotten the flu since we've been married and had kids.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes! I've had flu once (as opposed to a really bad cold) and it was awful, I've never felt so unwell. I work with the public and am exposed to all sorts, it's definitely worth it for me.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope, never got one, not going to start now.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. I have a son on immunosuppressants. He will have one and the entire family will have one too. This is what is recommended by his medical team.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
I've had the flu 3 times and it's terrible. Also, I work in healthcare and feel an obligation to protect my patients if at all possible. I haven't gotten it yet though. Optimal timing for it is usually late-October, as the benefit of the flu shot only lasts about 3 months. Last year we had quite a late flu season here.

LadyMCh

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Yup. I work in a hospital and come into contact with a lot of patients who have respiratory conditions, weakened immune systems, or other conditions that would make contracting the flu a life-threatening situation. All hospitals I have worked in have required the flu vax for their employees; few are allowed to opt out, such as if they're allergic to the vax.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep; already have my appt for the middle of next month. Being prone to developing pneumonia with simple colds/coughs, I have to take every precaution. Also, my dad's immune system is a little weak, and he comes each year at Christmas for a few weeks, so I try to ensure I'm as healthy as possible so as not to compromise his health.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I meant to add that my sister has cancer and is immuno-compromised so those of us around her want to keep her as healthy as possible. Also, a couple of years ago, both of my elderly parents got the flu. My mom was ok, but my dad got a secondary infection and we were worried he was going to die. It was really scary.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I'll be getting it. The conventional wisdom is that any infection kicks up the immune system, which puts people with autoimmune conditions at risk of having that condition get worse, since their wonky immune systems start eating everything in sight, not just the infection. This happened to me a couple of years ago, or it seemed to, we'll never know definitively of course, but it certainly appeared that way. I took the flu shot in late 2014 - that was a year that they really missed the mark on what strains were likely to be going around. Anyway, I got the flu in spite of the shot, and with 2 days of showing symptoms I had an MS relapse. So no, I do NOT want to risk the flu, for even more than the usual reasons to not want it.

However, last year I got mine a local pharmacy - they can do that here now. Uh...won't be doing that again this year. I'm an old hand at shots and sticks and thought I knew just about every flavor of pain from those. But aiiyyy!! That shot hurt so badly I thought she was driving a large acid-dipped nail into my arm! I literally yelped. Holy crap it hurt. Since the shot is pretty unremarkable and usually hurts less than a mosquito bite, I can only assume it was operator error. I was told later that little pharmacist girl likely pulled it out of the fridge and didn't warm it up. Whatever the reason, I think I'll be getting a real nurse to administer this next time and from here on out.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^I had the same experience this year! My shot was administered by someone in training - that should have been my first red flag :lol:

Q

Queenie60

Yes. A few years ago I got the flu even though I had the shot. Doctor said it would have been much worse if I had not taken the shot. :wall:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I already got it this morning. I have no choice as I work at a health clinic and am obligated to get one every year. But yes I generally think it is a good idea though the possibility of side effects (and some of them dangerous) does exist.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
got mine today. I missed the millenial as I was so so so sick with the flu that I woke up around vegas time for a bit. my older son also got in in 99-2000 but not my husband or my younger son, my husband and I get flu shots every year, after my husband seeing me go through 'shingles' he got that shot in a nano. My sons don't get them, they are in their mid and late 20s.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just got mine today, literally 10 minutes before seeing this thread. 8) My pharmacy is inside an urgent care clinic, so it's super convenient (and no charge) for me. My husband will get his at CVS or another pharmacy chain, as they are less expensive than at my clinic.

We've already see some flu positives this month... and so it begins. ::)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1474443056|4079126 said:

DF!!! Get your flu shot!! :nono: 8) :wavey: :halo:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop04|1474478993|4079278 said:

Then I may get hit with a flu. I haven't had a flu in over 30 yrs... :praise:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I get it every year. I have not gotten one this year as I have to find a new doctor. Preference for me is to have the shot from single use thimerosal-free vials. Some multi-use vials have thimerosal which used as a preservative. When you go to a minute clinic or pharmacy what have you, you may not know (and they may not know either).

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1474482501|4079298 said:
I get it every year. I have not gotten one this year as I have to find a new doctor. Preference for me is to have the shot from single use thimerosal-free vials. Some multi-use vials have thimerosal which used as a preservative. When you go to a minute clinic or pharmacy what have you, you may not know (and they may not know either).

I'd be willing to bet that most, if not all, clinics and pharmacies are going to be drawing from multi-use vials. Single/unit dose syringes/vials are just not cost-efficient, but can probably be ordered from the pharmacy if you ask... Of course, the price will be much higher if paying out of pocket.

I'm not sure if insurance will pay for the single use flu vaccines since the cost is much more than with the multi-use vials -- would be worth calling your insurance provider to make sure if that's what you prefer though.

Edit: It may be easier to simply ask if their flu vaccine is "thimerosal-free" before going to all that trouble. I will try to see what manufacturers have this.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep. I used to get the flu every.single.year until I started getting the shots, and it was miserable. I usually get mine at a pharmacy or grocery store or somewhere, just if it's September/October and I'm out and see a sign for flu shots, I'll get one.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
vtigger86 said:

You can't get the flu from the flu vaccine. It's a dead virus.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For those interested in the thimerosal preservative...

http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/SafetyAvailability/VaccineSafety/ucm096228.htm

9fae8439062cb3717494e056d45fe1e7.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Funny you should as - my health insurance sent out a flu shot reminder just this morning! Yup, I'll be getting one. I started getting a flu shot every year when I was in and out of airplanes twice a week, and never stopped...

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
At my MIL's assisted living, they ask those that have not received one to wear a mask while visiting.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop04|1474483079|4079302 said:
Arcadian|1474482501|4079298 said:

I'd be willing to bet that most, if not all, clinics and pharmacies are going to be drawing from multi-use vials. Single/unit dose syringes/vials are just not cost-efficient, but can probably be ordered from the pharmacy if you ask... Of course, the price will be much higher if paying out of pocket.

I'm not sure if insurance will pay for the single use flu vaccines since the cost is much more than with the multi-use vials -- would be worth calling your insurance provider to make sure if that's what you prefer though.

Edit: It may be easier to simply ask if their flu vaccine is "thimerosal-free" before going to all that trouble. I will try to see what manufacturers have this.

In my case, my old insurance carrier did pay for it...the new one, I'm not sure. Its BCBS PPO so possible. No matter, I will pay the higher cost if I have to, but I'm ok with that. I always got mine at my GP's office, so for those who want to go that route, yes, you can stand a much better chance getting single use vaccine that way. Always ask beforehand though. Some of these pharmacies have no idea unless they actually look at the stuff they're giving you a shot from, and most patients don't ask. If you get the shot at your GP's office, you stand a much better chance of them knowing.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

You bet!

cheers--Sharon

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
I'll be volunteering at our local children's hospital this winter. Do I need to get a flu shot to protect myself or the kids I'm around? :confused:

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockinruby|1474500118|4079372 said:
I'll be volunteering at our local children's hospital this winter. Do I need to get a flu shot to protect myself or the kids I'm around? :confused:
You need to get a flu shot to protect the kids. Even when not symptomatic, you can be a carrier And you can infect others. I am surprised they didn't tell you this was a requirement.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
msop04|1474483787|4079305 said:
vtigger86 said:

You can't get the flu from the flu vaccine. It's a dead virus.
Really? because my pastors wife got one (flu shot) last year and got deathly ill immediately afterwards. Swore she would never get another one. I just don't believe it was "coincidence", and neither did she.

Interestingly, my SIL works at a dentists office and every year all the workers get a flu shot but her, and she's the only one who never gets the flu..... :think:

The pharmacist told my mom the shots only have a 50% chance of working. And we all know they "guesss" at what flu's to try and protect against. So with those odds, I'll take my chances. I've never had a flu shot and have no desire to shoot myself up with only God knows what. Have had several bouts of flu when I was younger, but none in many years. Pretty sure I built up a natural immunity to them, which is the way it works.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results