shape
carat
color
clarity

When you don't clean your ring for six years

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today we got together with my husband's cousin and her husband, went to a vendor fair and one of the vendors was a jeweler. I said it would be great if they offered ring cleaning and she turns to me and tells me she never cleans her rings, like hasn't cleaned them in six years :shock:

I told her when we get back to your house I'm going to clean that ring. A toothbrush, super hot water and Dawn later and it was looking so much better. Unfortunately because she never takes it off I found a chip in the girdle :sick: She was amazed I found it, her immediate reaction wasn't that she was upset about the chip rather it was "how did you see that?"

Anyways at least she has a clean diamond now. Why have a diamond with gunk caked all over it? That defeats the whole purpose!

IMG_6572.JPG

IMG_6573.JPG

IMG_6578.JPG

IMG_6576.JPG

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:shock: Six years!?!? :doh:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yuck! Think of the bacteria living and multiplying on that ring. For 6 years! :knockout:

She said she only takes it off for gardening so thinking about all the meals that ring has been through, food prep :sick:

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:doh:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@StephanieLynn , you have performed your civic duty!
When I was a teenager, my grandmother always wore two Art Deco Belais style diamond rings.
Every time she visited, I asked to clean them. They were always nasty and gunky. She never took them off.
One time a bit of green stuff came out, like dried lettuce or something. Gross!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
That’s so gross...sorry...:sick: My mom is like that. She lives with me so I see her rings getting yucky and always offer to clean them for her. She has trouble getting them off so usually says no. When I just can’t take it anymore I squirt Windex on her fingers to get them off. I soak them for a day...dump out the water and run it through the Magnasonic a bunch times....scrub them..soak them some more...keep running them through the
Magnasonic...When I give them back to her she doesn’t even notice the difference...but I do!

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I have been looking at my friends' rings much more lately. More often than not, they are dirty enough that it can be hard for me to see any sparkle. I would love to clean up their rings for them and really see the cut and the sparkle!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
ewwwww yucky
6 years
my mum left her very plain wedding band on 24 7 from the day she got married but her other rings all came off once she got in the door
and although she didn't have a fancy cleaner they went to the jewler to be cleaned and checked on a very regular basis

i hate seeing dirty rings
well done @StephanieLynn

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I barely know anyone irl who cleans their ring. Most people get it cleaned only if they take it in to be resized or something. Most people I am friends with get it cleaned only when they come to my house.

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My mother in law never cleaned her jewelry. When she passed away I cleaned her collection but lost melee out of a couple of the rings. I think the only thing holding in the stones was all the gunk. I am now very carefull when offering to clean other’s rings. I do not want to be responsible for lost stones!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a transformation the cleaning made! But wow, that diamond was BAD before you got your hands on it. Hopefully she appreciates the difference & will give it a bit more attention.

Last year I stuck my friends solitaire in my ultrasonic. She had come to visit & was ogling how sparkly my pear was, when I realised her MRB looked different & dull - had she changed it & got a really bad stone? When I asked if she had a new solitaire, she was like oh goodness, no! I just never take it off so it's grubby! Honestly, the crap that was floating in the water when I'd finished it was enough to make a girl heave.... She cleans it every week now :)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am really hoping she keeps it clean, it's so quick and simple and she has everything she needs to do it.

I remember having to dig stuff out of my mom's ring after she passed away, it's funny because she was OCD clean about everything else. It probably doesn't occur to people that you actually do need to clean your ring, as in put effort in. They probably assume the hand washing and showers take care of it.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Six years?!?! I clean my diamond bellybutton ring more often than that :shock:

Oh my gosh can you imagine people that don't clean those for years :sick:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember cleaning earrings for a good friend of mine. When I took them from her I said - "You HAVE to clean your earrings - at LEAST once a week." She said "But nobody is close enough to see the difference!" I said " "See"? "SEE"?? Are you kidding? Your earrings SMELL." I waved them under her nose and I thought she was going to have a stroke. She bought a cleaner immediately and uses it regularly now. People just don't know, on the whole.

The thing that bugs me the most, tho, is when I offer to clean people's rings and they say - "No - it's ok - I just had it cleaned." And I'll say "Oh really? When?" And they'll say "It was when I went shopping for (blahblahblah) - only about 2 or 3 weeks ago!"

Two or three WEEKS?? I'd rather not wear jewelry than have to wear something tht hadn't been cleaned for over a fortnight.

@StephanieLynn - now that it's clean, I'd love to see your husband's cousin get her ring polished and have some work done on those prongs. It could be a lovely ring.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today we got together with my husband's cousin and her husband, went to a vendor fair and one of the vendors was a jeweler. I said it would be great if they offered ring cleaning and she turns to me and tells me she never cleans her rings, like hasn't cleaned them in six years :shock:

I told her when we get back to your house I'm going to clean that ring. A toothbrush, super hot water and Dawn later and it was looking so much better. Unfortunately because she never takes it off I found a chip in the girdle :sick: She was amazed I found it, her immediate reaction wasn't that she was upset about the chip rather it was "how did you see that?"

Anyways at least she has a clean diamond now. Why have a diamond with gunk caked all over it? That defeats the whole purpose!

IMG_6572.JPG

IMG_6573.JPG

IMG_6578.JPG

IMG_6576.JPG

excusemegif.gif

You're a good friend/family member Stephanie. I would have been too grossed out to touch that ring I think. Nice going. Looks like a different ring indeed. Hope she will keep it clean now. Maybe buy her or have her dh buy her an ultrasonic as a gift? That might entice her to keep it looking good.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh @mrs-b how wonderful of you to clean those earrings, my gosh that is dreadful that they actually smelled...ugh. Her ring is very pretty but yes it needs some rehab but my bet is on that she just keeps wearing it.

@missy, someone has to do the dirty work am I right? Even said to her, see how much more fun it is to look at now. I don't think an ultrasonic would work out, too much effort to buy it and plug it in and use it unfortunately.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy, someone has to do the dirty work am I right? Even said to her, see how much more fun it is to look at now. I don't think an ultrasonic would work out, too much effort to buy it and plug it in and use it unfortunately.

You did her a favor and now it is up to her to continue keeping it clean. If she wants to. I am curious if she does. Maybe you can update this thread next month if you remember? Sort of a psychological experiment. Any guesses as to if she will? I guess no. Maybe I will be wrong.

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
6 years?????

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy we usually see each other on holidays so Halloween is next and I will see then if she has done anything with it and come back and update. I might just be cleaning this ring every holiday lol! I don't mind though, it is satisfying to see it all happy and sparkling afterwards.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy we usually see each other on holidays so Halloween is next and I will see then if she has done anything with it and come back and update. I might just be cleaning this ring every holiday lol! I don't mind though, it is satisfying to see it all happy and sparkling afterwards.

Sounds good. And I know what you mean about it being satisfying to see it all sparkling and dazzling after a proper clean. Sort of like cleaning the floors and then admiring the results of all that hard work. Of course ring cleaning is so much easier. But I digress. Keep all rings clean. Maybe a motto for political election. Cannot do worse than the current administration. But again I digress. Sorry.:cheeky:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
If she’s cooking @StephanieLynn I would clean her rings before she cooks for you...:eek-2: My mom doesn’t care if they are clean or not...She also doesn’t care about using the flatware that didn't get run through the dishwasher yet. I practically wash my dishes and flatware before going in but not well enough to eat from them....She will look like she wants to help me put away the clean dishes from the dishwasher..and I’ll run over and tell her I LOVE to put my dishes away from the dishwasher....to let me do it... That’s not true but she doesn’t even wash her hands...She’s 93 so she gets a bit of a pass...I veered off the topic but had to unload my misery...Haha...Some of you are too young to remember this show..but the Odd Couple Felix Unger and his roommate Oscar Madison are like us...I’m Felix...:lol:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
is now a good time to slightly go off on a slight tangent ?
can anyone suggest ways to clean leather braclettes and watch straps ?
poooooo weeeeeee ive had trouble with watch straps for years

i think its getting them wet and then them not drying completly or maybe just good old fashioned sweat ?

(i really don't know how that lady didn't know her earings were smelly because they smell bad if you don't clean them)

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
All this food prep talk, I never cook but if I ever do I have already have a ring holder sitting at the kitchen sink :lol:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its said that a little dirt won't hurt you but 6 years worth is kinda a wee bit much even for me...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results