shape
carat
color
clarity

when to go wedding ring shopping

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nyc7782

Rough_Rock
I''m getting married in October and am wondering when we need to start looking for wedding bands. And do most people get these custom made like an engagement ring or should we just plan to buy it from a jewelry store? Thanks!

Inanna

Brilliant_Rock
Its never too early to start looking. I found it extremely beneficial to try on several different styles on with my e-ring to get a better idea of what I want (my wedding is in November BTW). I decided that I do want to go custom and have a very clear idea in my head of what I want - we''ll start the process in July or August to have plenty of time.

Keep in mind that a custom ring can take anywhere from 3-8 weeks to make (sometimes more time if you have lots of changes and adjustments). I have no idea about statistics, but I would guess that most people do not go custom for their wedding rings.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It depends on what you want. If you have a custom designed engagement ring, you may want to have one made to match, and that process can take anywhere from 2-3 months (between the design phase, cad, and then production). Do you know if you want matching bands (the two of you), or if you''re going to do something to complement your e-ring?

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I found my rings about 8-10 months out and put a 50% deposit down on them 6 months out or so. I've slowly been making payments on them (the store is right up the street from my office) so I don't have to come up with a large lump sum right before the wedding.

Mine were not custom

honey22

Ideal_Rock
I got my band from WF a few weeks ago, and DF ordered his this week (due to arrive in 4 weeks) for our November wedding. We wanted to leave plenty plenty plenty of time just in case there was a problem, and we also didnt'' want to have to pay for everything at once in the last few weeks before the wedding.

I would second the idea of going to plenty of jewellery stores and trying on lots of different styles until you decide what you want. Then check out the PS vendors to see what the better prices are. Good luck!

Do you want to post a pic of your ering, maybe we can suggest some bands to go with it?

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
My suggestion is go try on a bunch of styles in-store to find out what you like and don''t like. It''s never too early for that step. Then, once you have an inkling of what you''d like to have, you should also have a MUCH better idea of whether you can find it already made (I MUST have THIS ONE) or would rather it be done custom (well, I like this about this one, and this about that other one...I wish somebody made something inbetween. Or something that sits better with my e-ring. etc). My e-ring is a Mark Morrell Sunburst, and after trying on lots of rings in stores, including Tiffany''s, I figured out that I wanted a half-eternity type style but perfectly dainty (2.5mm wide) and with the same shape/fluidity as my e-ring (smoothly rounded edges). I couldn''t find that anywhere I looked, but we knew we could get it from Mark. Given the possibility that having it made custom would take quite a while, we started quite early. As it turned out, he already had a design he''d been playing with that was basically EXACTLY what I wanted. Major luck there, since it saved us from having to pay the design costs.
2.gif

Also, no harm in getting it early, other than 1) I guess that money could sit in savings a little longer, and 2) You have to resist the temptation to wear the pretty thing!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had my bands custom made so it took months! But I love the mokume band, and think it''s so worht it.

Personally I don''t think it''s ever too early to start shopping :) It gives you time to compare styles, keep an eye out for specials and deals, and a reason to window shop in jewelry stores! Hehe.

marchswallowbird

Brilliant_Rock
FI bought my wedding ring at the same time he bought the engagement ring (we went together to buy the e-ring). I wanted to be sure it matched. FI just wanted a simple platinum band, which I was going to buy from an online vendor until we were offered a great deal on a Scott Kay band in a bricks and mortar store.

We're getting married in September and bought FI's wedding band in February (on Valentine's Day).

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I went custom for both - I have a split shank e-ring with graduated channel-set melee from 8 o''clock to 4 o''clock and needed a curved band to fit. No-one did curved bands with melee that matched so Wink made one for me using the original CAD from my e-ring.

DH wanted a mokume gane band so that had to be specially made to order as well.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
D only wants a plain band and we were told that it will take about 2-3 wks so we''re going to order it soon. I have mine over a year at this stage.

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
We bought ours in Dec 07 for an Aug 08 wedding... mine was not custom (found a curved band that matched my ering at a B&M and ordered hubbys online with a few modifications).
They sat in their boxes for about 8 months
1.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I''d do it now if you can swing it - given the economy, you might be able to negotiate a really good deal
1.gif

jjjul

Rough_Rock
Pfff that was the 1st thing I did after I got engaged lol. I was diamond crazzzy. So it''s never too early
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results