shape
carat
color
clarity

When did you book your honeymoon?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

E B

Ideal_Rock
According to my ticker, we're officially 8 months, 1 week and 1 day to the wedding. Since my fiance isn't doing much for the *actual* wedding (besides giving his opinion every once and a while), I've asked him to take care of the honeymoon.

To date, he hasn't researched anything. If we were planning to fly somewhere in the US, I wouldn't worry as much. But we're (I'm) considering a European cruise, and if so, we'd have to fly into Rome.

When did you start booking flights or cruises? Is 8 months out too soon?

TIA!

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Helllo Ebree :)

We already booked ours 3 weeks ago and we were about where you are now in timing. It was considered soon by a couple of our friends but I feel so much better knowing we got it at a great price and now we can simply pay it off. It''s been quite a happy thing, too, when we are stressed out on wedding planning to take a moment and remember we have a honeymoon in Aruba waiting with our names on it!!!

According to TheKnot, one should book the honeymoon in the 4-5 month range but we kinda take that checklist with a grain of salt lol. Flights to Europe fill up fast in the summertime AND they get more expensive as the time draws near (they get higher on the 14th of every month in the summer) so if Rome is where you might need to be, I''d book it and be done with it :)

Sounds like a fantastic honeymoon idea :)

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think it is too soon...you can take some time to look for great deals. FI and I are dragging our feet on this one as well. We have been putting EVERYTHING on a points visa, desperately trying to save enough for 2 tickets to europe (we are thinking of a cruise too!) we are about 1/2 way there with the points ;-( We are getting married in July so i think we better hurry---you guys are in a good position to plan throughly

P.S. I have found some great cruise deals on vactionstogo.com and cruise-pros.com. I have used cruise pros before and they were great!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Hi EBree!

As you know, my wedding is the day before yours. Our hm hotel is booked already (we are going to Aruba for 8 days) and we plan on booking our airline tickets on Monday. Our tickets should not cost us anything, b/c we both have enough frequent flyer miles to earn free tickets, which is great. I dont think looking into booking your hm now is a bad idea at all, especially if you plan on using frequent flyer miles/points for anything. Reagardless, the sooner the better, b/c as the date comes closer, there will be less availability, which equals more expensive tickets. Do it ASAP.

Good luck!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I''m about the same time period, and we just booked our airfare because we are using miles and had to get it early. We haven''t booked the resort yet but we know where we''re going and have already decided on our room category. I expect I''ll make reservations soon.

I think now is the time if you''ll be out of the country. Do you both already have passports? That would be a way to bring it up if you don''t.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2007 7:24:42 PM
Author: sumbride

I think now is the time if you'll be out of the country. Do you both already have passports? That would be a way to bring it up if you don't.

I have a passport, but it's incredibly old. I should get a new one. And he needs one, so thanks for the suggestion- that should definitely get things going! Though, I wonder if I should get my passport in my 'married' name, even though we aren't married. Can you do that?

jas

Brilliant_Rock
EBree, it is best to do honeymoon travel using your maiden name (including tickets) unless you are going on your HM many months after the wedding -- the change of name process is a slow PITA.

Do make certain to let any hotel, activity, even restaurant you're going to know it's your honeymoon -- people love to celebrate that...DH and I got lots of nice little "congrats" -- from a little chocolate truffle at dinner to a very nice bottle of champaigne at the hotel...also, when there was a room mix up at the hotel, they had on record that this was for our honeymoon, and for some magical reason they really bent over backwards to help us.

Oh, and just update/renew the passport in your maiden name, and then do a change of name thingamahoo when you return.

Best of luck!

Jackie

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
no, ebree. if you have to get a passport, you need to have it with your maiden name b/c all documents need to match.
unless you have a lengthy period of time between the wedding and the hm where you can change your dl other documents, you should keep it with your maiden. how old is your passport? i think it's good for 10 years.

eta: i don't think it's too early to get the ball rollin for the hm. with time on your side you can be sure to get the better rooms. i find the longer you wait, the more likely rooms and what not will be sold out.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the advice, everyone! We're 80% sure we'll go on a cruise of some sort, so we don't have to worry about different hotel rooms (just the one on the boat!
9.gif
). I am most concerned, however, with the airfare since flying to Europe is $$$$$.

And thanks for the information on the passport- if it's good for 10 years, it's still good. I'm only 15 years old in the picture, though.
41.gif

FH and I had a discussion today and he's now on the ball. Hopefully he'll book something great; he gets to make the final decision.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
hum, 15 huh? you may need to check into the passport. i think there are different rules for kids. but i don''t know when the cuttoff age is. i think renew every 5 years for kids? not too sure.

maybe you could book the cruise and cross your fingers and hope and hold out for a fabulous flight deal.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
quick search and i found this:

HOW LONG IS MY PASSPORT GOOD FOR?
For adults and minors age 16 and up, your passport is valid for 10 years from the date of issuance. Passports of children 15 and under are valid for 5 years from the date of issuance.

link

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2007 7:45:13 PM
Author: jcrow
quick search and i found this:

HOW LONG IS MY PASSPORT GOOD FOR?

For adults and minors age 16 and up, your passport is valid for 10 years from the date of issuance. Passports of children 15 and under are valid for 5 years from the date of issuance.

link

Oops! That''s great to know, though. Thank you so much for finding the info for me!
1.gif

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
The sooner the better. I like 6 months out. 8 is actually ok. The sooner you do it, the more choice you have. Plus, things get more expensive the closer it gets to the actual date. It can get cheaper for last minute things, but if you''re going somewhere popular, you might not be able to find a last minute deal you want. For a regular vacation, it can be worth the risk. For your honeymoon, I''d want it to be exactly how I want it b/c you''re going to need to unwind from the wedding.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
We booked our honeymoon before we booked our ceremony and reception. John wanted to stay in a particular hotel that books up WAY in advance, so we took home a list of available dates from the ceremony/reception site and checked for available hotel rooms. Once we figured out when we could get the hotel we chose the wedding date. It was about 8 months prior to the wedding.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Yep, JCrow is right... get that passport renewed! And the sooner you both get that process rolling, the better. They are anticipating a slow turnaround now that you need them to go pretty much everywhere now, even Canada by air. Say "honey, we need to get our passports... have you thought about the honeymoon reservations yet?"

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, weren''t we quite the slackers! We booked our honeymoon 3 months before the wedding -- we were only engaged for 9 months before getting married.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
We did it a few months before. I know, we are slackers!
20.gif

MrzNeicia

Rough_Rock
We paid for our Honeymoon Cruise and airline tickets back in Aug.- Sept. of last year and our Wedding isn''t until Aug. 18th this year. So I don''t think it''s to early. The sooner the better.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Beware about doing it TOO early!

We were married in Sept, and booked our flights in Jan- it was one of the first things we did. We honeymooned in a remote part of Mexico, and the nearest airport was Manzanillo (1 hr away from the resort). The airline cancelled our flights in May, and we had to scramble to find a new route. We ended up flying into Puerto Vallarta (3 hrs away), which was less convenient than our original choice.

I would certainly not recommend waiting too long to book travel, just keep an eye on your itineraries. My situation is unique, but it happens!

caligal

Shiny_Rock
Hey Ebree- we just booked honeymoon tickets, but were watching them for a month or so to see price differences. As a PSA to all PSers I would HIGHLY recommend using the following site: www.bookingbuddy.com. It allows you to check a million different travel sites without having to re-enter info... kayak.com is where we booked. Also- can you be flexible in the day? When we moved our return by one day to a Tues. vs. a Mon we saved another hundred per ticket. We are off to Fiji- woo hoo!!

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
We booked ours (LAST WEEK!!!
9.gif
) at about 6 months, because we had our hearts set on a specific resort with only a few bungalows, and there''s only one flight a day to the country (Madagascar) and 3 flights a week from the capital to the resort, so we had to time it all very carefully. Aka, if we couldn''t get into Madagascar on X date, we couldn''t get to the resort for another 4 days!! But for Europe/a cruise I doubt you''ll have quite as limited options in terms of what you can and cannot book as things fill up (as in, there will always be another flight to Rome a few hours later or whatever). That said, my motto is "better safe than sorry!" so I would definitely go ahead and book it as soon as you know what you want! And also start your passport renewal etc soon.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results