shape
carat
color
clarity

What's the ideal age to become pregnant?

IYO, what's the ideal age to become pregnant?

• Under 19

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20 - 25

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • 26 - 30

Votes: 28 47.5%
  • 31 - 35

Votes: 23 39.0%
  • 36 - 40

• 41 - 45

• 46 - 50

• 51 - 55

• 56 - 60

• 61+

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shallow person that I am, I'm pathetically desperate to one-up DF's elderly 70s poll ...

So, IYO what's the ideal age to become pregnant? ... and why?

Last edited:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There isn’t an ideal time.
for some it just happens for others, sadly, it never does.
From a body perspective, over 18 and under 23 is prime time.
From a emotional perspective probably between 28 and 35
From a financial and life perspective, probably around 35 so you’ve progressed in your career enough to “come back”, done your travelling, enjoyed your hobbies and have your mortgage and savings under control (I’m not saying these things don’t and can’t happen after kids, its just harder and more expensive not to mention tiring!).
I had my one and only, by good fortune, at 40. It has hard on my body and I just didn’t have the same level of energy that I had in my 20s and 30s. Bonus was though that I was emotionally and financially well settled.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted for early 30's but that assumes there aren't other factors to consider.

When I got married, a friend who regretted never having kids told me "If you want to have kids, don't wait. There is no such thing as the right time as there will always one more thing you'll want to do first". I had my kids at 29 and 31.

I actually loved being a single working professional for most of my 20's and am glad I had that time first. Some of my friends who married/had kids earlier often told me they envied me. (I didn't want to get married or have kids until my 30's but my now husband, who is 7 years older, didn't want to wait).

Today, I see many co-workers in their 50's worrying about getting laid off and/or can't think about retiring early because they still have kids at home or to put through college, etc. While I hope to work a few more years, I am so glad not to have that stress. I know that we will be okay financially if I lost my job.

Also, with the kids out of college, I've really enjoyed having financial freedom in my 50's/early 60's to do what I want without any real bills to pay. I think I appreciate having it now more than I would've in my 30's.

And in recent years having grown kids has given me a lot of flexibility to spend time and take on the care of my parents when needed. That has been priceless.

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:
Reactions: DAF

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IOW, when you are too old.. :lol: IMO, before turning 30. My wife gave birth to both daughter before turning 30.

For many after 30 is not "too old".

IOW, your opinion or experience does not Trump that of others.
IOW, women vary.

Last edited:
Q

Queenie60

It's different for everyone. Ideally, we would have had our children before age 35 however, due to infertility problems, the came a bit later. It's a personal decision and varies depending upon individual situations.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Never! If you want a life where you have leisure time and money to spare.

But I had mine at 30 and 31. Which was for me a pretty optimal time. I had my fun in my 20s and I was financially secure by then. I will be still in my 50s when I finally offload them into the real world which doesn’t seem too old to start having fun again LoL!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ideal for whom? I think as @Bron357 writes, there are a lot of answers...

There's no great time -- we had ours about as soon as we recognized that there would never be a great time given our careers.

Apart from health considerations, you can't be too old but you can certainly be too young, imo. I've met so many men on second marriages and second families who say they're gonna get it right this time...

GoldenTouch

Shiny_Rock
I think early thirty’s.

Financially secure & I had decided that I definitely wanted a family. I wasn’t sure before then.

I started trying at 30 but it didn’t go to plan straight away and there was a lot of heartache on the journey. I eventually because a mum @ 35.5.

I wouldn’t of wanted to have any before I was 30 though & it may of still taken me as long to become a mum.

No regrets age wise.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The decision was made for me by not finding the right partner until very late on. I really didn’t want to go it alone, although I did consider it from time to time. Ideally I would have been around 30, I ended up having mine at 36 and 38. There were many positives to this as DH and I were established in careers and were financially set, however we are now bordering on retirement age with several more years supporting both through college. There’s no perfect time!

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I'm currently pregnant with my first at 32.. turning 33.. I think for me ideally around 30 but I just graduated from my postgraduate degree and started working. I recently upsized my house so I think now is a good time. :)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
IOW, when you are too old.. :lol: IMO, before turning 30. My wife gave birth to both daughter before turning 30.

You just enjoy those grandbabies i know you both love so much DF =)2
Having your kids before 30 certainly makes for younger grandparents than me and my sister had

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm currently pregnant with my first at 32.. turning 33.. I think for me ideally around 30 but I just graduated from my postgraduate degree and started working. I recently upsized my house so I think now is a good time. :)

Aww CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Thrilled for you and you will enjoy that extra space so congrats on the space upgrade too!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Someone who is wise and who I respect once said "people vary".
And so they do. :)

What is the ideal age to become pregnant?
Depends on the individual/couple and where they are emotionally and financially in their lives.
And that number will be different for each person/couple.

Be true to yourself.

beyourself.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mazel Tov!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Never in my case!

I don't do children - give me a kitten/cat/puppy/dog any day!

DK ;)2

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
With all the above mentioned reasons taken into consideration - I would say ages 26-35.

Although my wife was 34 when Finn was born and the nurses were jokingly calling her a geriatric mother, so what would I know anyway? :saint:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a college boyfriend whom I'd have been ready to marry at 21 or 22. He had a farm, and we'd have moved there and farmed with his parents, and it would have been an ideal time and place to have kids early. I'd have had them at 23 and 25, but I'd have been happy to have them at 21/23, too. It'd would have been the ideal set-up, with his family's two farms, People around, space for everyone, the proverbial village. But he wasn't interested in the farm or family life; he wanted to live in new York and be in a band.

I can't say what others should do, but IF I'd had favorable circumstances, I'd have loved to have kids young, because then I would see more of their lifespan and would meet more of my descendants.

Of course, this is impossible for many, with the rising cost of education and living, and childcare, and so many young men who want to do anything except settle down young.

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Congratulations! Wonderful and exciting news!

Mekp

Shiny_Rock
I was pregnant with my first at 24, she was born when I was 25. I was pregnant with my second at 27 and delivered him on my 28th birthday.
For me that was the perfect time. I liked being a relatively young mother. I had finished school, had a good job, married and bought a house by the time our first arrived.
I had the energy to parent little kids in my 20s. I'm currently 41 and a few friends are still having babies. I can't imagine!
I am aiming to retire at 55 and I couldn't do that if I would still have teenagers at home.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was pregnant with my first at 24, she was born when I was 25. I was pregnant with my second at 27 and delivered him on my 28th birthday.
For me that was the perfect time. I liked being a relatively young mother. I had finished school, had a good job, married and bought a house by the time our first arrived.
I had the energy to parent little kids in my 20s. I'm currently 41 and a few friends are still having babies. I can't imagine!
I am aiming to retire at 55 and I couldn't do that if I would still have teenagers at home.

Ditto! I could’ve written this except minus a year on giving birth (24/26). So happy that we started young because now they’re gone and we are in a much better position to enjoy ourselves physically and financially.
Times...they are a’changin’ and I think it’s more difficult to begin so young today.

Congratulations @maryjane04 !!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had DS when I was 24, we were financially stable, had our own home, and I was able to give up work to be with him. I’m glad I was a relatively young and don’t feel I missed out on anything.

eh613c

Shiny_Rock
Premium
No specific age to suggest. What’s important is that the couple is mature enough, financially stable and have the energy to handle parenthood. I have friends who had children in their early twenties and relied on their parents for many things. At that age, they still wanted to go out and party, which is not bad, but priorities change when a couple decides to have kids. I think maturity is a big factor.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me neither. I can't imagine myself changing diapers in my 40's.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had my first at 28 and the second at 35. Definitely had more energy in my 20’s, also at 35 you are considered “advanced maternal age”. That means more tests, more ultrasounds etc.

I would say mid to late 20’s is ideal but everyone is different.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results