shape
carat
color
clarity

What specific talent do you wish you had?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Ohhhh languages for sure. And to swim better/with skill (like Dara Torres).

cheers--Sharon

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Languages and music. I took Spanish for two years in high school and was lucky I passed the second year. I took violin and flute in school, and promptly quit because it just didn’t make sense to me.

On a side note, I’m convinced language and music are in the same gene, or closely related. Most people I meet that are good with multiple languages also play an instrument, or used to play one.

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would also love to be able to paint. I LOVE landscapes, seascapes, landscapes with sheep, etc. I did take painting lessons ten years ago...I had a class every week. I would paint in my home in the kitchen for four hours at a time...getting lost in thought as I painted. My mom came to live with me at that time and would stand behind me and scrutinize whatever I was painting. She would comment that it was “plain” or just shrug her shoulders. I just gave it up at that point. I told my husband that when we move again...I want a room for myself with good light and a good lock so I can paint without being critiqued..:roll2: My husband, on the other hand, would look at what I had painted that day and comment about how he really liked it. He’s a good liar because I wasn’t very good.
you should see my face when i read your post (angry horrified face)
i don't care if your sox or .....26 !
the beauty of art is not just in the end result - its in the creation process and in the heart of the artist
i don't think i have an artistic bone in my body but the process is fun
if ever something should be done just for oneself its art !

Like Missy i wish i could sing, but i can actually hear how dreadful i am
im even an insult to the national anthem ! (any national antham)

anyway let me tidy up our garden shed and you can come over and paint to your heart's content
including the actual shed walls if you want !
im releaved your husband was positive

you need one of those 'she shed' cute little studios for your back garden .... a container conversion even - a sleep out for your mother ! then you can do art in your own house again !

years before i knew her my MIL went to do ceramics - apart from work the only thing that she did outside of the home was a ceramics class - she was quite a shy introverted lady with not as many friends as her husband ...anyway ny FIL couldn't stand to be left out of this one thing and started tagging among and taking over the creative process

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
HI:

Ohhhh languages for sure. And to swim better/with skill (like Dara Torres).

cheers--Sharon
definatly languages
im always blown away by people who don't have English as a mother tounge but can converse with us in English
i wish i could do the same thing back for them in their language

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I can sing, but only with practice. I wish I had the talent to harmonize or improvise when I sing. I can only sing an alternate part if I have sheet music in front of me and learn the accompanying part.

I’d also like to be able to just “jam” on the piano, and improvise and accompany someone while they sing. I can also play a decent piece with sheet music and practice, but not musically talented enough to just start playing a self created piece.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
you should see my face when i read your post (angry horrified face)
i don't care if your sox or .....26 !
the beauty of art is not just in the end result - its in the creation process and in the heart of the artist
i don't think i have an artistic bone in my body but the process is fun
if ever something should be done just for oneself its art !

Like Missy i wish i could sing, but i can actually hear how dreadful i am
im even an insult to the national anthem ! (any national antham)

anyway let me tidy up our garden shed and you can come over and paint to your heart's content
including the actual shed walls if you want !
im releaved your husband was positive

you need one of those 'she shed' cute little studios for your back garden .... a container conversion even - a sleep out for your mother ! then you can do art in your own house again !

years before i knew her my MIL went to do ceramics - apart from work the only thing that she did outside of the home was a ceramics class - she was quite a shy introverted lady with not as many friends as her husband ...anyway ny FIL couldn't stand to be left out of this one thing and started tagging among and taking over the creative process
@Daisys and Diamonds I feel bad for your MIL..I think everyone needs their own space to do things to make them relax. My own she shed sounds wonderful....

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds I feel bad for your MIL..I think everyone needs their own space to do things to make them relax. My own she shed sounds wonderful....
there are some very luxurious she sheds if you google

if we hadn't brought a 4 bedroom home that's what we were going to do for my 'Bruce Springsteen room'
people do amazing things with containers
our shed is really a bit small, id love a sewing room, but i thought if we lined it, it would be a nice little reading/ wine drinking/ cat lounge garden room, put a little varrander on it and go for the shot gun cabin look, put a higher roof on it so you can really fling your arms around when you'r painting !

my dear MIL was a lovelly lady unfortunately due to the 19 age gap between me and Gary i didn't get to enjoy her company for all that long but she was always very kind to me

a sad thing i did not releazise is Gary had this huge Irish family who all immigrated to NZ including his elderly grandparents but none of those people were relatives of his mum
i think she was particularly brave to come all this way with three small children and leave all her friends and family behind
she told me they went home to England once to visit her parents and she proudly made pavalova and her mother refused to eat 'that foreign muck' (that's very insulting on so many levels)
sometimes mothers are best thousands of miles away
you are a saint with your mum
but i really feel its not terribly fear on you
i could not have lived with my mum and as much as i loved my inlaws living with Gary's dad would have done my head in despite him being a lovelly and kind gentlemen

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bank robbing might come in handy. :Up_to_something:

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The ability to just completely freestyle on my bass guitar and solo. I posted a video a little while ago on a thread of one of my favourite bassists, Victor Wooten. He has the ability to play multiple notes at different tempos with his right hand while fretting both the melody and rhythm parts with his left, making it sound like there's more than one person playing. I'm envious of that kind of talent, but even some of the guys in the heavy metal scene who can improvise solos impress me. I do improvise parts sometimes, but I am always playing to a song - so I am limited with what I can do within the framework of locking in with the drums and following the key of the music. I don't have the technical ability to just unshackle myself and solo like that.
If I got some lessons I might be able to, but life is so busy now that it's not exactly a priority as I'm fulfilling everything else in my life really well at this point in time.

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Sew. Nothing fancy-just the ability to make curtains, hem things, make some neat craft projects.
Minor carpentry work and handyman stuff.

I bought a machine and started teaching myself with youtube videos. My first attempts were hilariously bad but with a bit of practice you'll be cranking out curtains, pillowcases and other simple items fairly quickly.

I wish I could sing. I mean I do anyway when nobody is around to hear my howls but being able to carry a tune would be nice.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't dance.
I can sing, but not in some styles I admire, like the blues.
When I try it's as pathetic as Kenny trying to dance.

Stationed overseas in the 1970s I was in a 6-member band that played in the clubs of our US base.
We had wide appeal by doing many styles of music.
3 of us were white, and 3 black.

When rehearsing I can't count how many times my 3 friends told me, "Kenny, you're playing it too white".
Not trying to discuss race here, just reporting what happened.
There's an empty space in my brain where that part of music and all dance come from.
lol

That reminds me of the story a friend once told me, about being the only two white people in a club catering for the local black community - the bouncer chucked them out, saying 'you white boys can't dance' :lol: (which was probably true, knowing him :lol: )

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought a machine and started teaching myself with youtube videos. My first attempts were hilariously bad but with a bit of practice you'll be cranking out curtains, pillowcases and other simple items fairly quickly.

I wish I could sing. I mean I do anyway when nobody is around to hear my howls but being able to carry a tune would be nice.

Haha this is exactly how my dh taught himself to sew. Watching youtube videos and he is so good now. He is an expert I think and can really sew. Glad you enjoy sewing too! It's such a wonderful skill to have. As for being able to carry a tune I feel your pain. I love singing but if someone is around who I love I do not do it as it would break their eardrums. ;(

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I had a sense of direction.

Haha good one and one I’m missing as well. I swear I get lost on my own block or at least in the vicinity sometimes lol. Used to be a huge source of contention between my DH and me. He just couldn’t grasp how I had such a poor sense of direction. Made for interesting car trips. Luckily he gets it now and it’s mostly peaceful. And he doesn’t ask me to read a map anymore. :lol:

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh sooo many things I wish i could do/was good at like:
  • Sing (I'm totally tone deaf)
  • Sew my own clothes
  • Paint or draw beauitfully
  • Play piano
  • Speak a foreign language fluently
  • Maths...any maths really! :lol:

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I had some kind of mechanical ability. I also admire carpentry skills. Whenever anyone is trying to explain anything mechanical to me, my brain starts wandering off into the world of flowers or music...total overload. I just can’t comprehend it. I swear my eyes cross. But I really wish I could fix my car or remodel my own kitchen.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rock out on the drums like nobody's business. I had wanted so badly to take drums in grade school when instruments were offered. I was too afraid to be the only girl, and I perceived my mom as hoping I would take flute. I took flute. That lasted all of three years.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh gosh, I'm deficient in so many areas it's hard to pick just one!

Playing sports like soccer, basketball, baseball
Dancing
Improvising in the kitchen (as opposed to following recipes)
Drawing and painting
Picking up new languages
Public speaking

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I could sing. I could play the flute by ear I can play the piano by ear but I cannot sing for anything.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely singing better. Like Kenny, I can sing and carry a tune but I wish I had a really fab voice that could sing anything and make it sound wonderful. Like a soloist type voice. I sang a solo one time in my life, I was so nervous I swore I would never do it again, and I haven’t, except in a play. But that was really not the same thing. The belt it out, deep from your diaphragm kind of thing.

There are other things I wish I could do better but some of them just take more practice, which clearly I don’t want to put the time into. I would love for them to magically appear without any effort on my part though.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would have liked a photographic and audiographic memory. I hate it when I cant remember something, or it is on the tip of my tounge. This makes me feel really stupid, and it has happened a lot in the last 2 years (probably due to sleep deprivation). Also would have liked to have been more naturally effervescent-- I am another one who is introverted and not naturally chatty in real life.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results