shape
carat
color
clarity

What metal is this?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

basil

Brilliant_Rock
On a home remodeling kick lately.

I have 12 of these doorknobs and doorplates, all covered in about 6 layers of various color paint. My apartment was built in 1940, so I assume these are original. I took one off and peeled the paint off with my fingers and this is what it looks like. So much better than it looked all painted!

What metal is it? How can I remove the rest of the paint? Is there something I should do to seal it before I put it back on the doors?

IMG_1576web.jpg

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
It looks like an oil rubbed bronze

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
those are nice looking knobs. i own a property built in the 1920''s that has knobs and plates with skeleton key holes. the plates were painted but not the knobs. the knobs are similar to yours but not quite as ornate. the color of the knob is sort of brown looking but closer examination reveals a different story. these knobs appear to have been brass plated. the plating has worn mostly off and leaves the brown look that is actually probably the base metal. iron or steel maybe?

i am not saying this is true of yours just asking if this could be why it was painted. if you try polishing it with neverdull wadding or something similar you will see if it reveals brass or bronze or if it stays looking the same. i don''t know if this will work just a suggestion. good luck!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Basil
35.gif

I don''t know what the metal is but they are very attractive doorknobs!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 2:33:19 PM
Author: Lorelei
Hi Basil
35.gif

I don''t know what the metal is but they are very attractive doorknobs!
I agree! Such neat doorknobs! Who would paint those??

I think that italia is right. Looks like some sort of bronze.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results