shape
carat
color
clarity

What kind of detergent and softener do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
I use whatever free & clear detergent & fabric softener is on sale. Actually pretty much everything that touches my skin is unscented I.E. my bodywash, lotion, etc... whenever possible.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
You probably have eczema. My daughter & I recently went through testing for allergies. Both of us have eczema in addition to enviornmental allergies
14.gif
. The allergist scratched an E on my skin and told me to watch it. It turned into a huge welt which lasted through the entire appt.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Try washing your clothes the next few times without any detergent! We tend to use more than we really need and it can get built up in our clothes.
I''d try a humidifier in your bedroom, oatmeal soap, and try aloe, pure shea butter, and pure lanolin for your skin. (not all together mind you). Make sure you get the pure stuff, not mixed in another lotion.

I have the wierdest skin allergy to Dimethicone and the other silicone oils that are sooo common in modern cosmetic products including lotions for dry and irritated skin. It causes my skin to turn horribly itchy. the skin also goes red and raised but I can''t tell if that''s because I''ve scratched it without realizing it or not.

Anyway, people can have the strangest reactions to very common things. Good luck.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Hello all! Your advice is really helpful!

Monarch: I have only used Apricot Kernel oil because I feel that it''s a little thicker and it does help my skin quite a bit. I put that on as well as some Eucerin lotion after the oil soaked in a bit and that helped a lot. I also did this right before I went to bed so I wouldn''t be moving around very much and irritating my skin. I''ll have to look at the Moisturel you''ve suggested. I am making it a point to go to the store tomorrow and pick all of these things up, haha. It''s just so busy this time of year. I do have clothes that need to be dry cleaned, but it''s stuff like cashmere which doesn''t make me itch at all. That''s why I kind of think it might be the detergent and the type of fibers I am wearing that are bothering me... I know I had the cashmere cleaned very recently, and it still feels good on my skin. I''m so confused, haha!

Door Knob Solitaire: We live in VA, so although it''s cool right now (stupid weather) it gets crazy humid around June. Surprisingly, I still itch in this weather, haha. I thought it would help a lot, but it really didn''t do much at all... except then I''m sweaty AND itchy. Well, that''s a good mental picture, lol! I also thought exfoliating my skin was bad because it allowed the skin to dry out more. I''m not sure about that, but I will have to look it up. I had this exfoliating soap a few months ago but had to stop using it because my skin just went crazy and was REALLY dry... but it wasn''t a moisturizing soap either, so that may be the culprit.

JCJD: I don''t use bar soap in the shower, and I didn''t know it could possibly help. I''m adding that to my store list, haha. Thanks!

Vegas Angel: I guess the evil eczema is back... I really thought I''d grown out of it but recently the flare up has been quite bad. It sounds like you and your daughter have what I have. My environmental allergies have gotten quite bad from moving to VA, plus I developed full blown asthma from being out here, whereas before it was more like sports induced asthma. That welt sounds awful, but at least you know now what is going on. Did you have to get shots or do you take pills? I would like to avoid putting anymore medication in my body if possible.

Indie: I will try without detergent to get some of that built up soap out. Would a humidifier or one of those air purifiers be better for the bedroom, since my allergies are quite something this year? I used to have to use a humidifier when I was younger because the coldness and dryness in the winters would give me bad nose bleeds... but I don''t remember using it to help allergies or my skin. My skin does a similar thing with certain lotions, and there are raised red lines where I have scratched. Odd. I wonder if it''s a similar allergy. I just started using a Nature''s Gate lotion and neither the lotion itself nor the fragrance bothers me... which is amazing!

On a side note: I actually got a full night''s sleep last night and for some weird reason my skin seems a lot calmer. I had only been getting about 2 hours of sleep a night, but now I feel better. So maybe the stress that people mentioned has also been taking its toll. I am going to call that allergist next week and set up an appointment. I just always feel that I overreact and I will go in there and the Dr. will think I''m stupid for bothering to come in, haha. Thanks again everyone!

*M*

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
hey poptart! i think you are really going to need to temper the hot water you say you are using in the shower. i hope the bar soap helps you but with me ivory leaves a film and makes me drier. i did use dove bar for many years but found the anti itch aveeno body eash was much better. have you tried the anti itch variety?

you mentioned something that struck a cord with me. when i get hot or sweaty the itch factor goes into high gear. i find that bras with the latex, spandex whatever it is and the other normal fabrics used in them are unbearable in summer. i had to search out cotton knit for comfort.

i have read that vitamin c is a natural antihistamine don''t know if that might help or not. i hope that you get some relief soon.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/20/2007 2:07:29 PM
Author: crown1
hey poptart! i think you are really going to need to temper the hot water you say you are using in the shower. i hope the bar soap helps you but with me ivory leaves a film and makes me drier. i did use dove bar for many years but found the anti itch aveeno body eash was much better. have you tried the anti itch variety?

you mentioned something that struck a cord with me. when i get hot or sweaty the itch factor goes into high gear. i find that bras with the latex, spandex whatever it is and the other normal fabrics used in them are unbearable in summer. i had to search out cotton knit for comfort.

i have read that vitamin c is a natural antihistamine don''t know if that might help or not. i hope that you get some relief soon.
That latex/ spandex stuff in the bra straps that you mentioned DRIVE ME NUTS in the summer. I have a strapless bra that I like to wear with strapless dresses and tank tops, but it''s got that latex stuff on the bottom and I end up wanting to rip it off, haha. I will have to look for that cotton knit that you mentioned. I also didn''t know that Vitamin C was a natural antihistamine. I heard bee pollen can help, but I dunno about all that.

*M*

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
So I washed my clothes in that All Free and Clear... Hallelujah I can feel my skin again and it''s not driving me absolutely CRAZY!!!! Still a little itchy but without the bumps and severe itchiness. I tried to get more sleep this weekend, too, and oddly enough that helped too for some reason. Thank you all so much for your advice, especially about the detergent. I am still going to see the allergist and see if there''s anything else I can do, but at least it''s manageable now!

*M*

Efe

Brilliant_Rock
Poptart, I just got done reading a great book called The Skin Type Solution by Dr. Leslie Baumann. At the beginning you fill out a questionnaire and the results determine your skin type. There are separate chapters on each skin type and she tells you skin care recommendations in all price ranges, and also lists ingredients to avoid. Most of it focuses on facial care, but the ingredients list to avoid will help with body care and shampoo products as well. I got it at Borders for only $12 and thought you might want to check it out.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/22/2007 8:40:50 PM
Author: BizouMom
Poptart, I just got done reading a great book called The Skin Type Solution by Dr. Leslie Baumann. At the beginning you fill out a questionnaire and the results determine your skin type. There are separate chapters on each skin type and she tells you skin care recommendations in all price ranges, and also lists ingredients to avoid. Most of it focuses on facial care, but the ingredients list to avoid will help with body care and shampoo products as well. I got it at Borders for only $12 and thought you might want to check it out.
Thanks! I will stop by the bookstore and check it out. I didn''t even know there was such a book! Did it help with your skin?

*M*

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
i believe the local honey is helpful with pollen issues.

sarahthewarrior

Shiny_Rock
So did you make an appointment with an allergist? I hope you''re feeling better!

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/23/2007 9:28:08 PM
Author: sarahthewarrior
So did you make an appointment with an allergist? I hope you''re feeling better!
No, not yet. I didn''t get a chance to ask my coworker for the doctor''s number today so I will have to ask tomorrow. The skin allergies have calmed down quite a bit though, just from switching detergents. So I am feeling a little better (and less itchy), thanks!

*M*

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Glad to hear things are improving.

My allergist gave me different pills to try to see which works best for me. I havent taken any as I am still nursing. Chances are I probably will not use prescription med. just Benedryl as needed. He also instructed me to do saline rinses & gave me nose spray that I can only use between 3-6pm (Havent done either of those things either).

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
Charlie''s Soap!! http://charliesoap.com/ I love it! I bought my mom some for Christmas, even.

I use the powder, 1 TBSP per big load, lasts 80 loads, takes me forever to get through. Comes with a cute scoop, which is always a plus. It''s a green product, hypoallergenic, no residue, no smell, 100% water soluble. And they''re really nice.
emteeth.gif

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
PS Charlie''s soap also removes your old soap''s residues. They suggest you run a load of old rags first to clean out your washer, and then go forward with your regular laundry. Great stuff, cute packaging, what more could you ask? (Holy moley I need to get paid for all this soap-preaching
emotion-40.gif
)

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Poptart, your skin sounds very similar to mine: sensitive and fickle. I have eczema, and many things irritate my skin (including bandaids, nickle, etc). Has anyone recomended that you use Cheer Free laundry detergent? I have been using it for a rather long time at the recomendation of my dermetologist, and it works well for me. For the shower, you might want to try Dove body wash (sensitive skin, unscented); it it very gentle.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all of your suggestions! I have tried using a lot less detergent, as well as that All free and clear, which seems to work. The funny thing is I think I am allergic to the air here... is that even possible?? My skin gets these really funny itchy bumps when they are exposed outside for too long, or when there is a lot of dust in the air. Someone here mentioned Aquaphor, which I tried, and it works great, so I will be getting some more of that. My skin is just odd... and allergies are really weird in general. I also had my first little mini asthma attack episode today which was fun. I usually just have trouble getting enough air in, but today when my mom and I were walking I just couldn''t breathe at all and started coughing like I was trying to get rid of a lung!! My allergies are out to get me, lol! Thanks for all of your help.

PS... I am going to see about that Charlie''s soap, too. Sounds interesting.

*M*

nsaids_nurse420

Shiny_Rock
first of all if possible, try to stop scratching, as it can lead to serious infections. 2nd call dr and set up appointment. i get red, raised welts called hives when just putting pressure on my skin. i had skin allergy testing when i was 16 which revealed that i had some food allergies to tomatoes and cotton seed oil. i''m not supposed to have these foods, but i can''t just give up pizza and cake, so sometimes i just pop a benedryl. you say you are having problems with fabrics touching your skin. i have same problem, but sounds like you are much more sensitive than me. also medication out there called atarax, my patients say it really helps them. you really need to get to source of problem though, could be serious allergy or maybe something less desirable, ex:scabies. let dr. decide what is wrong with you. don''t be afraid to complain to him if he isn''t doing his job, you are paying him to help you and that is what''s important. good luck!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results