shape
carat
color
clarity

What kind of detergent and softener do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Hello all,

This is kind of a weird question, but none of my friends or family has been able to help answer this, so I turn to you. I have very sensitive dry skin, and just having it touched can seriously irritate it and cause severe itching. I am ALWAYS itchy no matter how much lotion I use (and I use a lot). My clothes recently have also been irritating me to no end. I have always been very sensitive to the fibers in them. I can feel every single little scratchy fiber in wool and even the fibers in cotton. The only two things that don''t make me itch are silk and cashmere (the fibers don''t scratch since they are soft). Everything else feels so rough and irritating. But I haven''t switched detergents at all, and was wondering for those of you with sensitive skin, what do you use? It is seriously driving me nuts! I have started scratching little parts of my legs and arms raw in the night from the itching. The doctor just keeps telling me to use lotion, but I need to get rid of this itching! Help!

Thanks in advance!

*M*

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
We use the All "free and clear" kind. It has no color and no fragrances added and is supposed to be hypoallergenic. We really like it.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about Dreft for kids, Ivory Snow, or one of the Free''s (Tide or Cheer) with no dyes etc...

I am sure an allergist can recommend one too.

I am SO SORRY. I had a reaction once and scratched myself til I bled and it is terrible. The more you scratch the worse it is though, it releases more histamine and makes you itch MORE....so try not to if you can...

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Poptart, this is not a weird question at all! My mom is terribly allergic to most chemicals or even animal fibers that come in contact with her skin, she also (IMO although she''s never been diagnosed)suffers from celiac sprue which involves as I understand it an allergy to wheat products, gluten, lactose, etc. She''s had reactions so bad just from trying a new eyeshadow she''s been to the ER... she uses the ALL free and clear detergent and wears only natural plant based fibers like cotton or linen (no wool or silk) or synthetics like spandex, lycra, etc. are ok for her also. I''m somewhat sensitive to certain things like wool or different soaps or shampoos, but luckily no food allergies that I know of. Then you have others who are allergic to synthetics like latex and things like that...as humans we are sort of fragile as far as what our skin and bodies in general will tolerate, I think.

I have really dry skin no matter how much water I drink or how much I moisturize...I love Aquaphor for this reason! I can''t use a ton of it,but a very sheer layer on my face and the usual dry areas like my knees and elbows helps a ton, especially in winter. Shea butter based moisturizers also work well for me. There is a company called Treehut who makes some great body butters that are shea butter based you might check out, you can get them in Kroger grocery stores, as well as at drugstore.com. Target used to carry the line but not any more, unfortunately.

Lastly, you might want to see a dermatologist in case there is something prescription-wise they can offer. HTH.
35.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also think if your clothes washer has an extra rinse option that it is a good idea to use it, and forgo dryer sheers unless they are unscented (but what is the point then really?)

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/17/2007 11:46:53 PM
Author: neatfreak
We use the All ''free and clear'' kind. It has no color and no fragrances added and is supposed to be hypoallergenic. We really like it.
I think I am going to start trying this now and see if it helps. Thanks!

*M*

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/17/2007 11:47:53 PM
Author: diamondfan
What about Dreft for kids, Ivory Snow, or one of the Free's (Tide or Cheer) with no dyes etc...

I am sure an allergist can recommend one too.

I am SO SORRY. I had a reaction once and scratched myself til I bled and it is terrible. The more you scratch the worse it is though, it releases more histamine and makes you itch MORE....so try not to if you can...
I probably should go see an allergist, but haven't ever done it. Since I moved to the East Coast my allergies have of course flared. I always had slight asthma, but now I have it pretty bad to the point where I need to have an inhaler almost every day. My skin just feels like it's rebelling against me. I used to have to take oatmeal baths every night, and get covered in different lotions just to soothe my skin long enough to lie down and go to sleep. And my mom would cut my nails insanely short so I would scratch. And that's to the point where I'm at now. It's like I can feel every single fiber poking me, and it's SO irritating. I'm sorry you had a bad reaction in the past, and I'm glad you figured it out so you didn't run into it again. I should also probably forgo the drier sheets like you suggested. Thanks for your advice!

*M*

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/18/2007 12:07:24 AM
Author: monarch64
Poptart, this is not a weird question at all! My mom is terribly allergic to most chemicals or even animal fibers that come in contact with her skin, she also (IMO although she's never been diagnosed)suffers from celiac sprue which involves as I understand it an allergy to wheat products, gluten, lactose, etc. She's had reactions so bad just from trying a new eyeshadow she's been to the ER... she uses the ALL free and clear detergent and wears only natural plant based fibers like cotton or linen (no wool or silk) or synthetics like spandex, lycra, etc. are ok for her also. I'm somewhat sensitive to certain things like wool or different soaps or shampoos, but luckily no food allergies that I know of. Then you have others who are allergic to synthetics like latex and things like that...as humans we are sort of fragile as far as what our skin and bodies in general will tolerate, I think.

I have really dry skin no matter how much water I drink or how much I moisturize...I love Aquaphor for this reason! I can't use a ton of it,but a very sheer layer on my face and the usual dry areas like my knees and elbows helps a ton, especially in winter. Shea butter based moisturizers also work well for me. There is a company called Treehut who makes some great body butters that are shea butter based you might check out, you can get them in Kroger grocery stores, as well as at drugstore.com. Target used to carry the line but not any more, unfortunately.

Lastly, you might want to see a dermatologist in case there is something prescription-wise they can offer. HTH.
35.gif
My aunt has an allergy to wheat and gluten, too. It's quite bad, but not as severe as your mothers. That sounds awful!

I also drink tons of water and it does nothing for my skin dryness or irritation. I had never heard of Aquaphor, so maybe I should give that a try. I use Apricot oil and that soothes it for a bit so I can at least not itch for a minute, but it doesn't last too long. Body butters actually make me itch more, which is really weird, but I try and stay away from them as much as possible. I kind of hope I can avoid seeing a doctor though, haha. I hate going to the doctor! Thanks for your advice!

*M*

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
They make dryer sheets without any fragrance, I think they just deal with static.

My reaction was to a drug used in an epidural. I broke out in hives all over.

I have dry skin and it can be sensitive, I make excess histamine so if I barely touch my skin it leaves a welt. Any fragrance and dye free detergent, extra rinsing and scent free dryer sheet should be helpful, but I think I would see the doctor to get to the ROOT of things, you are dealing with symptom relief, which is vital too, but try to see WHY it is suddenly happening...that is worth looking into.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/18/2007 12:20:01 AM
Author: diamondfan
They make dryer sheets without any fragrance, I think they just deal with static.

My reaction was to a drug used in an epidural. I broke out in hives all over.

I have dry skin and it can be sensitive, I make excess histamine so if I barely touch my skin it leaves a welt. Any fragrance and dye free detergent, extra rinsing and scent free dryer sheet should be helpful, but I think I would see the doctor to get to the ROOT of things, you are dealing with symptom relief, which is vital too, but try to see WHY it is suddenly happening...that is worth looking into.
I guess you are right about finding out why it is suddenly so severe. My mom just told me she used the ALL free and clear when I was at home, and although I was still itching then, it was a little better, there is some promise in that. A slight touch leaves a welt?! Eep! That must be awful! DH is always begging me to stop scratching because he says it sounds like I''m tearing the skin off, and he will touch my leg so I stop scratching and it just make it about five times as irritated. If I could live in a world where there was an air cushion around me at all times and no one could touch my skin, I''d do it, haha. That is scary that the reaction was to an epidural! I would have probably lost it!

*M*

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also itch if I don''t watch what I use. I use tide free brand. It''s free of dyes or perfumes and it works great. I don''t use any dryer sheets because they also make me itch, and I''ve never missed them.

elsie

Shiny_Rock
Poptart, I don''t know if this will be useful -- but is it possible that you could have eczema? I have always had very sensitive skin (scratching can leave a red mark that stays for hours), but one year I started getting this horrible itching on the arms and legs (and especially in the creases like behind the knees). Turns out that I had eczema, which can be triggered during high periods of stress, or something simple like a bug bite.

I think that the dye/perfume-free detergents do help, but the dermatologist also says to be careful of body washes, soaps, etc., that have fragrances/irritants in them. I usually slather myself in Cetaphil cream (which is fragrance-free and non-irritating) after I get out of the shower (baby oil gel might work too), which usually keeps the dryness under control. I''ve been told that creams are much better at keeping the moisture "stuck" to the body than lotions.

I''m sorry you''re having this problem, and I hope it gets better soon! I''m very aware of how miserable it can be if you''re itching, itching, itching all the time...

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
as elsie mentioned, it's not just the detergents that you need to watch. all of your lotions, soaps should be fragrance free as well. aquaphor is GREAT but it is very, very greasy so you may want to use it at night. make sure you put your (fragrance free!) lotion on immediately when you get out of the bath or shower. don't rub your skin dry with a towel, just 'blot' yourself damp dry and apply lotion immediately.
it sounds like your body is just super reactive right now. using an inhaler once a day is too much and is an indication that you need a change in your asthma maintenance. this will not only help your breathing but your skin as well. you should see a doctor about getting on some preventative meds to help keep the reaction/sensitivity down. inhaled steriods might be in order and i have found ZYRTEC (a seasonal allergy prescription) to be very helpful with skin irritation issues. once your body is in that 'defensive' hyperactive fight everything irritated state, even the smallest irritants are going to become an issue, so you need to get those histamine defenses down!
best of luck and i hope you feel better soon!

btw...please make sure you see an allergist. a doctor that just tells you to keep putting lotion on isn't seeing the big picture.
34.gif

elsie

Shiny_Rock
Good points, Belle.

One other thing to mention is that when I did have a flareup, I had to get a prescription for a steroidal cream to "tone" down the itching to a manageable state. The preventative measures (moisturization, fragrance-free products, etc.) are important on a daily basis, but you might have to get your body into a less reactive state first!

And I second the recommendation to see an allergist (or dermatologist). These things are very hard to get right -- the first dermatologist I saw for my eczema said I had scabies! It was pretty horrifying imagining those creepy crawlies -- I went through a thorough regimen to "get rid of them" which didn''t help at all...

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
hey poptart! i have not read the responses so sorry if this is a repeat. i have similar skin issues. i use tide liquid and bounce. the one thing i can recommend that may help is aveeno skin relief body wash. that has helped along with carefully choosing clothing that is not irritating. i also use cetaphil skin cleanser as a moisturizer multiple times daily as it is not greasy and seems to soothe. hth. i am going back now to read the responses as i should have before.

eta: if you don't already add the liquid detergent (i think it is better than dry as it doesn't have to dissolve)to the water and agitate it so it becomes well mixed before adding the clothes.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2007 10:04:30 AM
Author: elsie
Good points, Belle.

One other thing to mention is that when I did have a flareup, I had to get a prescription for a steroidal cream to ''tone'' down the itching to a manageable state. The preventative measures (moisturization, fragrance-free products, etc.) are important on a daily basis, but you might have to get your body into a less reactive state first!

And I second the recommendation to see an allergist (or dermatologist). These things are very hard to get right -- the first dermatologist I saw for my eczema said I had scabies! It was pretty horrifying imagining those creepy crawlies -- I went through a thorough regimen to ''get rid of them'' which didn''t help at all...
thanks elsie! you brought up another good point too about perhaps needing a topical to ''tone'' down the itching as well. there are some new non steriodal type topicals that are proven for repeated usage that work very, very well. these creams and ointments really work when the basic traditional methods don''t.
your point about finding the right clinician is spot on as well. i have seen dermatologists do the exact same thing that happened to you.... diagnose eczema as scabies and prescribe the treatment as such
14.gif
38.gif
it is essential to find someone that really knows what''s going on. i really do think somone that specializes in asthma/allergies should be consulted first because as i mentioned before, the big clue is the increased inhaler usage. this along with the skin irritation is a sign that the body is in attack mode. once you get the histamine levels (attack mode) under control, you should notice a difference.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/18/2007 9:37:03 AM
Author: elsie
Poptart, I don''t know if this will be useful -- but is it possible that you could have eczema? I have always had very sensitive skin (scratching can leave a red mark that stays for hours), but one year I started getting this horrible itching on the arms and legs (and especially in the creases like behind the knees). Turns out that I had eczema, which can be triggered during high periods of stress, or something simple like a bug bite.

I think that the dye/perfume-free detergents do help, but the dermatologist also says to be careful of body washes, soaps, etc., that have fragrances/irritants in them. I usually slather myself in Cetaphil cream (which is fragrance-free and non-irritating) after I get out of the shower (baby oil gel might work too), which usually keeps the dryness under control. I''ve been told that creams are much better at keeping the moisture ''stuck'' to the body than lotions.

I''m sorry you''re having this problem, and I hope it gets better soon! I''m very aware of how miserable it can be if you''re itching, itching, itching all the time...
I had very bad eczema when I was younger, but as I''ve gotten older it''s gone away. I had a checkup last December and the Dr. said I don''t have eczema anymore. But I am kind of worried that it is coming back due to my allergies this year, which are off the charts. I can''t sleep through the night very well because I get so stuffed up, even when I take medicine. Haha... wow. I sound like I do need to see an allergist don''t I? I won''t get to see my dermatologist till later this year, but maybe he can suggest a topical cream. I actually do use Cetaphil lotion, but the soothing feeling doesn''t last very long, unfortunately. The cream vs. lotion makes sense, but it seems like the creams don''t soak into my skin or something and then I''m just scratching and taking off a layer of lotion, if that makes sense. Thanks for your advice!

*M*

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/18/2007 9:58:34 AM
Author: belle
as elsie mentioned, it''s not just the detergents that you need to watch. all of your lotions, soaps should be fragrance free as well. aquaphor is GREAT but it is very, very greasy so you may want to use it at night. make sure you put your (fragrance free!) lotion on immediately when you get out of the bath or shower. don''t rub your skin dry with a towel, just ''blot'' yourself damp dry and apply lotion immediately.

it sounds like your body is just super reactive right now. using an inhaler once a day is too much and is an indication that you need a change in your asthma maintenance. this will not only help your breathing but your skin as well. you should see a doctor about getting on some preventative meds to help keep the reaction/sensitivity down. inhaled steriods might be in order and i have found ZYRTEC (a seasonal allergy prescription) to be very helpful with skin irritation issues. once your body is in that ''defensive'' hyperactive fight everything irritated state, even the smallest irritants are going to become an issue, so you need to get those histamine defenses down!

best of luck and i hope you feel better soon!

btw...please make sure you see an allergist. a doctor that just tells you to keep putting lotion on isn''t seeing the big picture.
34.gif

I do the lotion routine every day with Eucerin fragrance free lotion. It works for about an hour and then I can feel the itching start up again. It helps keep my skin smooth though! I didn''t know it was bad to have to use an inhaler once a day. I think that your suggestion about Zyrtec is a good one. My husband has pretty bad allergies as well, but nothing seems to bother his skin like it does mine. I know he uses Alavert a lot and that works really well, so maybe I could try that. I have some Claritin that I am using now, but it doesn''t entirely work. Benadryl works great... except I''m kind of allergic to it and the one time I took it I almost passed out. I hate trying to find allergy medicines that work. They either make me sick or do almost nothing. Thanks for your help!

*M*

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/18/2007 12:38:56 PM
Author: crown1
hey poptart! i have not read the responses so sorry if this is a repeat. i have similar skin issues. i use tide liquid and bounce. the one thing i can recommend that may help is aveeno skin relief body wash. that has helped along with carefully choosing clothing that is not irritating. i also use cetaphil skin cleanser as a moisturizer multiple times daily as it is not greasy and seems to soothe. hth. i am going back now to read the responses as i should have before.

eta: if you don''t already add the liquid detergent (i think it is better than dry as it doesn''t have to dissolve)to the water and agitate it so it becomes well mixed before adding the clothes.
Thanks crown1! I used to use Aveeno, but the St. Ives I use now, actually works better and feels more silky. The funny/ good thing is, my whole body is itchy except for my face, which is absolutely fine. Not sure why that is. That''s why I kind of assumed or hoped that the problem was held mostly in the clothes because wherever my clothes touch me, I get these itchy bumps.

*M*

laine

Brilliant_Rock
Its my understanding that Eczema never actually goes away, it just gets better and worse, but I could be wrong.

My boyfriend and his sister both have issues with itchiness that are much worse when they shower in the morning. It sounds weird, but they''re mostly fine as long as they only shower in the afternoon/evening (the sister also has eczema that is exacerbated by stress).

For washing clothes, vinegar in the rinse cycle (you can put it in the fabric softener dispenser) is supposed to help make detergents rinse out better, and keep clothes soft in place of a fabric softener.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/18/2007 1:15:26 PM
Author: laine
Its my understanding that Eczema never actually goes away, it just gets better and worse, but I could be wrong.

My boyfriend and his sister both have issues with itchiness that are much worse when they shower in the morning. It sounds weird, but they''re mostly fine as long as they only shower in the afternoon/evening (the sister also has eczema that is exacerbated by stress).

For washing clothes, vinegar in the rinse cycle (you can put it in the fabric softener dispenser) is supposed to help make detergents rinse out better, and keep clothes soft in place of a fabric softener.
I didn''t know that about eczma! I feel so misinformed! I have noticed the same thing about showering in the morning vs. night as well. I think it might be because there are less irritants if you are going straight from the shower to bed. I have heard that eczema is worsened with stress, and I''m stressed right now for sure! DH comes home in five weeks and the wait is driving me nuts, I''m looking for a job, have a huge internship event next week, a solo concert in two days, and I graduate in three weeks. So yea. Stress is definitely up there, haha. I also didn''t know that about the vinegar! Does it make your clothes smell funny? I don''t want to smell like vinegar... Thanks for your help!

*M*

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi poptart!

I haven''t read all the posts so I may be repeating others'' responses. I''m not too sensitive to detergents, so I tend to buy whatever''s on sale. I have used the free and clear types too and I like them. About lotions, my doctor has recommended Cetaphil to me once for itchiness. (I think I spelled it correctly)
It''s great! I believe there''s also a Cetaphil soap too. Have you tried Benadryl to get rid of the itchy feeling?

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
Ignore everyone''s specific suggestions for different allergy medications, and go see an allergist as soon as you can! This year I went to see one, and it was one of the best things that I have done. Each person''s allergies are so different, and only an allergist can really help you find what will work best. After years of trying benadryl, claritin, etc. he put me on a regimen that cleared everything up in 3 days, completely. I was really annoyed thinking that I waited this long, and had suffered from severe allergies when I could have been treated. I was allergic to things I had no idea of! Please go see a specialist, you won''t regret it.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Awh...I am itching just thinking of your discomfort. I am so sorry you are so sensitive to feel each fiber.

I think you should do as Lindsey suggested. You have an awful lot on your plate, and it is your job to keep your body strong so you are capable of handling this period of your life.

While you wait for an appointment, I have found an inexpensive product at Walmart it is the Equate version of Neutrogena bath oil. This is called bath oil I think. It is $3.89 available in regular (which is what I use) and maybe a no scented one. I LOVE the scented one. It is actually not scented, but the aroma of Seasame oil - As that is what it is. I keep it in my shower...and just as I am about to turn water off...I drizzle it all over and glide it on. The warmth of the water makes it penetrate and absorb into my skin and as I have said in a previous post...my husband says,"You are moist like a good brownie". Not oily, just well moisterized. It also works with any water temperature. The water just seals it. I use it on my hands often as I am a constant hand washer. Once you have this on...you don''t have to scrub to get the remaining water off...you will find the water is almost gone already! So you will just need to blot...blot...blot.

I realize I cited using the warmth of water...but actually in your case, have your tried to refrain from warm or hot showers? Your skin needs no more element of damage added. Temperature of water can be very moisture zapping.

One more thing...Flax oil. Please read about it. It is available in many forms. The oil itself is a buttery nutty flavor that you can drizzle on bread, salads etc. There is a ground flax meal that you can sprinkle on the same or even cereal. Flax is or at least wants to be your friend!! If you have a Whole foods or Akins or health food store you can find a fresh supply there.

So wish I knew the magic pill to take, but surely the Doctor willl....you will never know unless you ask!!
36.gif
DO IT TODAY!!

DKS

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/18/2007 6:24:47 PM
Author: zoebartlett
Hi poptart!

I haven''t read all the posts so I may be repeating others'' responses. I''m not too sensitive to detergents, so I tend to buy whatever''s on sale. I have used the free and clear types too and I like them. About lotions, my doctor has recommended Cetaphil to me once for itchiness. (I think I spelled it correctly)

It''s great! I believe there''s also a Cetaphil soap too. Have you tried Benadryl to get rid of the itchy feeling?
Thanks for your advice! The Cetaphil only works temporarily, and I am allergic to benadryl, unfortunately. I used to use the Cetaphil soap on my face but have since changed my face regimen, lol! I guess I just have to suck it up and go to a doctor.

*M*

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/18/2007 6:57:05 PM
Author: *Lindsey*
Ignore everyone''s specific suggestions for different allergy medications, and go see an allergist as soon as you can! This year I went to see one, and it was one of the best things that I have done. Each person''s allergies are so different, and only an allergist can really help you find what will work best. After years of trying benadryl, claritin, etc. he put me on a regimen that cleared everything up in 3 days, completely. I was really annoyed thinking that I waited this long, and had suffered from severe allergies when I could have been treated. I was allergic to things I had no idea of! Please go see a specialist, you won''t regret it.
I got the name of a good allergist from a co-worker today. Her son and husband have very bad allergies and the doctor has been very helpful. She''s very critical of doctors since she''s worked in so many hospitals, but she loves this one, so I''m guessing he is worth a try. I can''t imagine all of my allergies and itching being gone in 3 days. I haven''t had even one day in my life where my body doesn''t itch. I wouldn''t know what was going on, lol!

*M*

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/18/2007 11:51:55 PM
Author: door knob solitaire
Awh...I am itching just thinking of your discomfort. I am so sorry you are so sensitive to feel each fiber.

I think you should do as Lindsey suggested. You have an awful lot on your plate, and it is your job to keep your body strong so you are capable of handling this period of your life.

While you wait for an appointment, I have found an inexpensive product at Walmart it is the Equate version of Neutrogena bath oil. This is called bath oil I think. It is $3.89 available in regular (which is what I use) and maybe a no scented one. I LOVE the scented one. It is actually not scented, but the aroma of Seasame oil - As that is what it is. I keep it in my shower...and just as I am about to turn water off...I drizzle it all over and glide it on. The warmth of the water makes it penetrate and absorb into my skin and as I have said in a previous post...my husband says,''You are moist like a good brownie''. Not oily, just well moisterized. It also works with any water temperature. The water just seals it. I use it on my hands often as I am a constant hand washer. Once you have this on...you don''t have to scrub to get the remaining water off...you will find the water is almost gone already! So you will just need to blot...blot...blot.

I realize I cited using the warmth of water...but actually in your case, have your tried to refrain from warm or hot showers? Your skin needs no more element of damage added. Temperature of water can be very moisture zapping.

One more thing...Flax oil. Please read about it. It is available in many forms. The oil itself is a buttery nutty flavor that you can drizzle on bread, salads etc. There is a ground flax meal that you can sprinkle on the same or even cereal. Flax is or at least wants to be your friend!! If you have a Whole foods or Akins or health food store you can find a fresh supply there.

So wish I knew the magic pill to take, but surely the Doctor willl....you will never know unless you ask!!
36.gif
DO IT TODAY!!

DKS
Thanks for your advice on the sesame bath oil, I will have to try that. I use Apricot oil as moisturizer and I think that is the one thing that is the most helpful, but it doesn''t completely stop the itching. It does soothe it though, plus it''s all natural, which makes me feel a little more comfortable about it. About the hot showers, I know I''m not supposed to take them, but lukewarm showers are SO cold. I don''t know what''s wrong with me, lol, but I used to take such hot showers that when I was little my mom would have to monitor the heat before I got in because I would have it so hot that my skin turned bright red. But it felt SO good. I have stopped doing it to that extent, but I am incapable of taking just a warm shower I think. I''ve tried many times, but it just makes me cold. I will have to try that flax seed oil that you mentioned. I didn''t know it was that good for you! My friend is a vegan so she uses it a lot, but I didn''t know that it was actually beneficial, haha. Thanks!

*M*

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Poptart, have you ever tried pure olive oil as a moisturizer? It''s definitely chemical and fragrance free, and you can also try an oatmeal bath (comprised of natural oatmeal and water, that''s it) to relieve some itchiness. Another moisturizer I''ve used is called Moisturel (usually carried by Walgreens or CVS), also fragrance free and chemical free but does contain lanolin, an animal based ingredient that may be bothering you... hopefully you can get yourself to an allergist or dermatologist soon to determine what''s going on. Also I second using vinegar in the rinse cycle or your wash, although don''t use it with clothing with a lot of dye in it or you could ruin your clothing. Ummm....drycleaning...if you have clothing you''re regularly or sometimes even having drycleaned those chemicals may be bothering your skin. I''m just trying to think of what surface affecting things might be bothering your skin at this point, but there could be other factors internally affecting you too. I am so not an expert on this stuff, sorry! I hope you get to the bottom of your ailment very soon, and until then take care!
35.gif

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Just thought of a few more things...

Do you live in a colder climate? You know not tropical? If so are your work and home environments heated by electric or gas? If gas...that is another culprit that may be adding to you dry skin. My husband was always cranky in our gas heated home. He kept complaining how much his clothes itched. (he wears nothing but extremely well washed, worn 100% cotton...never synthetics...so I knew it wasn''t his clothing) We got a whole house humidifier and within A DAY he got relief. Whew...when he is cranky...you don''t want to be around! Grrrrrr!

Another cheap idea for relief may be to exfoliate your skin. I wonder if it is actually the dry scale of flake that is your sensory to each fiber that you feel? Lets throw this idea out and see if anyone on the board will confirm the safety in your situation. (I don''t know if what is safe for sensitive skin...but the board surely does.) I use baking soda ...just dry on my wet skin or you can make a paste with it. Smooth it around...you can use a soft washcloth or a puff. The grains of baking soda are fine and exact in shape so they work to gently slough away dry skin. I use it periodically on my face...I usually cup it in one palm and use the other hand to do the work. (Once I had my face so close to the palm filled with soda that I accidentally snorted it!! Egads...I DO NOT RECOMMEND THAT...and please, don''t get any bad ideas...that was the ONLY time I snorted ANY FOREIGN SUBSTANCE.) I have no idea how those people can do that!!

Oh you can add baking soda to bath water..and it does incredible things.

Hey, wonder if you should get your water tested for hardness? Maybe a water softener may be an option.

Your skin is the largest organ on our body...funny if it were your heart...you would never consider NOT seeing a specialist. Ok here is my last nudge to force you to go....GO TO THE DOC!!!
2.gif

DKS

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Do you use body wash or bar soap in the shower? I heard from a dermatologist that for dry skin, plain old Ivory or Dove soap is way better at keeping skin moisturized than any creamy body wash. Maybe try that too?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results