shape
carat
color
clarity

Well, I’ve had the vaccine, anyone else?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I was given a slightly abbreviated form of this today.

That is good, I'm glad they are providing appropriate information.

I re-read it when I posted the above - I hadn't spotted it before but I noted that...:

guidance said:
The nucleoside-modified messenger RNA in COVID-19 mRNA Vaccine BNT162b2 is formulated in lipid nanoparticles, which enable delivery of the RNA into host cells to allow expression of the SARS- CoV-2 S antigen.

I'm not clear if that means the vaccine 'active ingredient' is in nanoparticles, or if the solution it is being held in is made of nanoparticles.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diabetes is considered to make you at risk. When I did the infographic it said I was behind 22 mil people. but, I don't know if I am considered an essential worker or not. I got a letter when the pandemic first started saying I was an essential worker in case I was stopped for being out. I guess it depends on how they categorize people.

Type 2 is not considered as high a risk as Type 1 is my understanding.

Besides, I don't have any other issues except for that, and it is controlled.

Not an issue for me as there are many other people more vulnerable than I.

DK :))

GlitterInMyHair

Brilliant_Rock
i did that pretending i lived there

im very sorry you are so far down the priority list
the govt havn't really given us a timeline yet but the economy needs the boarder to reopen asap and it won't be safe to till we are all vaccinated

Well, it's not so bad. I'm just happy there is a vaccine. At least I can see the light at the end of the tunnel :)

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations! Wishing you all the best - please do get rest and take care of yourself now and always. Come back and let us know how you are.

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yay! Good for you. :)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations and good luck!! Hope it all works out, effective without side effects.

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
Hope all goes well and no side effects! fingers crossed! Jealous of you! Here in Canada, it will take even longer than the USA to get it, so many be 2022? lol. I'm actually crying.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is good, I'm glad they are providing appropriate information.

I re-read it when I posted the above - I hadn't spotted it before but I noted that...:

I'm not clear if that means the vaccine 'active ingredient' is in nanoparticles, or if the solution it is being held in is made of nanoparticles.

I’m sure that means the active bit is contained in a nanoparticle of lipid- I can’t remember much cell biology but as it says it will be in order for it to get through the lipid layers of the cells that will make the spike protein. I think?

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m sure that means the active bit is contained in a nanoparticle of lipid- I can’t remember much cell biology but as it says it will be in order for it to get through the lipid layers of the cells that will make the spike protein. I think?

Dr Xand explained this earlier on TV. The gist was that the active strand is basically suspended in lipid fat.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats! We are all excited to get ours over here, but it will probably be the middle of next year before we are able. I’m so glad this is starting to happen.

What does scare me is the number of people I know who have said they won’t take the vaccine. Sigh.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats! We are all excited to get ours over here, but it will probably be the middle of next year before we are able. I’m so glad this is starting to happen.

What does scare me is the number of people I know who have said they won’t take the vaccine. Sigh.

Same. The NY firefighters are refusing to get the vaccine so far. Very disappointing and I hope they change their minds.

"A recent internal survey by the FDNY's firefighters union polled 2,053 members, and around 55 percent of them said they wouldn't get the COVID-19 vaccine."

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
First dose of the Pfizer/BioNtech vaccine this morning, second dose due in 4 weeks. Thought I should lead by example and get in there quick smart. Anyone else going for it this week?

Good for you! I can't wait for it to be available in the U.S. I will definitely get it when it is available to me.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Same. The NY firefighters are refusing to get the vaccine so far. Very disappointing and I hope they change their minds.

"A recent internal survey by the FDNY's firefighters union polled 2,053 members, and around 55 percent of them said they wouldn't get the COVID-19 vaccine."

Hubby said the FAA has not okayed the vaccine yet, so he is unsure if it is an option. Pilots have a strict list of allowed medicines. We are waiting to hear.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So far, no side effects, minor sore arm but no worse than any other vaccine I’ve had. A couple of NHS workers developed allergic reactions earlier in the week so the advice is now not to take this vaccine if you have anaphylaxis and carry an Epipen.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I wonder why?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I wonder why?

Here (and trying to gingerly work my way around politics) masks have become political and many many news sites that are hard right have not only pooh poo'd masks, but also the vaccine. Unfortunately taking the vaccine is being type cast as anti-macho.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^ perhaps because the whole process was rushed/speeded, there is no track record, firefighters are often younger and healthier, some have had covid and are relying on the temporary immunity in the meantime to see how the vaccinations go, some may have had severe reactions to past vaccines ...

I note the 55% percent basically mirrors the statistic in the whole US, i.e., only about half willing to get vaccine.

eta: I've seen the US stat at 50% to 63%, of those willing to get vaccine.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So far, no side effects, minor sore arm but no worse than any other vaccine I’ve had. A couple of NHS workers developed allergic reactions earlier in the week so the advice is now not to take this vaccine if you have anaphylaxis and carry an Epipen.

This is exactly why some people will not get it right away. It hasn’t been tested long enough to see what the adverse reactions might be. From what I read, they recruited healthy people for the trials. So there are many unknowns and who might have adverse reactions. Considering that the survival rate of the virus is around 99.95+% and there are effective treatments, I’ll take my time and be cautious regarding the virus and the vaccine. There are recalls all the time on other medications that are said to be safe from the testing and approved to be put on the market. Then over time there are adverse reactions including disability or death. Then there’s a recall or warnings added. I feel it is wiser to wait regarding anything new, especially when the manufacturer cannot be held liable for damages. However, I fully support those who make other choices and hope you have no negative reactions.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is exactly why some people will not get it right away. It hasn’t been tested long enough to see what the adverse reactions might be. From what I read, they recruited healthy people for the trials. So there are many unknowns and who might have adverse reactions. Considering that the survival rate of the virus is around 99.95+% and there are effective treatments, I’ll take my time and be cautious regarding the virus and the vaccine. There are recalls all the time on other medications that are said to be safe from the testing and approved to be put on the market. Then over time there are adverse reactions including disability or death. Then there’s a recall or warnings added. I feel it is wiser to wait regarding anything new, especially when the manufacturer cannot be held liable for damages. However, I fully support those who make other choices and hope you have no negative reactions.

Well, from the people I know who had Covid, it’s not about surviving or dying. It’s about the weeks later side effect that they are still having. It’s not like the flu where you get it and 6 days later you are all better.

Nearly every one of them is still sick in some way 2-6 weeks later. One said she had a nervous breakdown that started in the middle of her illness.

But yes, I hear you about the newness of the vaccine, but vaccine science has been around for decades.

I will get the vaccine ASAP. DH should be able to get in hopefully in the next 2 weeks.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, from the people I know who had Covid, it’s not about surviving or dying. It’s about the weeks later side effect that they are still having. It’s not like the flu where you get it and 6 days later you are all better.

Nearly every one of them is still sick in some way 2-6 weeks later. One said she had a nervous breakdown that started in the middle of her illness.

But yes, I hear you about the newness of the vaccine, but vaccine science has been around for decades.

I will get the vaccine ASAP. DH should be able to get in hopefully in the next 2 weeks.

Yes, the science has been around a long time, and the vaccine injury compensation program has paid out more than $4 billion in damages and only a fraction of injuries are ever even filed for since most people don’t know about it. Let me be clear that I am in favor of safe, effective vaccines. But some can be lethal to certain people and I know people who’ve been disabled. In the case of the Pfizer vaccine, they’ve already come out with a warning for certain people not to take it. That’s a good start. But it probably wasn’t so great for the people who had the problems to find that out. The people recruited for the trials were mostly healthy. So it remains to be seen who might have problems. I research everything I buy and that goes especially for what I put into my body. I hope this works and that not a single person has a severe adverse effect. I’ll be watching and waiting to see both aspects.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very cool and congratulations! I'm so glad its being offered and people are chosing get it! :appl:

I hope those who do get the vaccine continue to be careful even after. Some people still got covid (though not as badly)

FDA should be granting emergency use for Pfizer shortly. I think they're supposed to have the hearing for Moderna Vaccine on December 17.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Very cool and congratulations! I'm so glad its being offered and people are chosing get it! :appl:

I hope those who do get the vaccine continue to be careful even after. Some people still got covid (though not as badly)

FDA should be granting emergency use for Pfizer shortly. I think they're supposed to have the hearing for Moderna Vaccine on December 17.

...and APPROVED, 17-4 with one abstaining
YAY!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It‘s not really a choice for me, more something for the common good! My work is pretty frontline in a hospital and believe me, my colleagues were lining up to be vaccinated. I just want this pandemic to be over.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It‘s not really a choice for me, more something for the common good! My work is pretty frontline in a hospital and believe me, my colleagues were lining up to be vaccinated. I just want this pandemic to be over.

Gotcha and ditto. I'm sick of making masks, even more so wearing them! I'm super happy to see people get the vaccine because its the beginning of the next phase of this thing.

For those that didn't see what the panel was discussing here's the link.

They were talking about the inflammatory response, which can be experienced because of what the vaccine is supposed to actually do.

And apparently the panel did approve to move it through for Emergency use Approval (just saw it pop up on my news feed)

inne

Shiny_Rock

There aren't really effective treatments available for *most* people. Antivirals seem to be helpful to some extent, but you have to start those ASAP. By the time the vast majority of people have symptoms and seek diagnosis, it's already too late, and limited supply means you might not be getting it anyway. Unless you are tested every day AND have guaranteed access, I wouldn't count on antivirals doing anything for you.

This is what we know: Not vaccinating leads millions of deaths, short and long-term physical, cognitive, and emotional suffering by millions more, economic devastation, lockdowns, etc. You're choosing between that - known risks - and a hypothetical unknown that there's no evidence even exists. We know COVID-19 causes death and disability. That's a certainty. In the United States, over 3,000 people died from it just yesterday. And death isn't always the cruelest fate—for many people, COVID-19 is life-altering even if it is not life-ending.

Meanwhile, there is no indication whatsoever that mRNA vaccines will cause death or disability. There are side-effects that can happen from vaccines, but those effects are overwhelmingly immediate. People don't get a vaccine, feel fine, and then experience side-effects a year later. You don't have to wait years to see how they affect people. We can expect the same from these vaccines.

There's no other way to make that first scenario go away. There is no real third option. Widespread vaccination is the only way out of this.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results