shape
carat
color
clarity

Wax or Nair arm hair! LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ello

Brilliant_Rock
I''m debating if I should (first time) Nair my arm hair for my wedding day. Let''s just say I''m a little hairy and leave it at that... ha ha ha! Here''s the thing...I''m worried that if I start it will have to be done frequently and that it might grow out darker and thicker!

Any advice would be awesome!
9.gif

colorkitty

Shiny_Rock
I''m pretty sure the darker and thicker thing is a myth. It just seems that way after shaving because the ends of the hair have been cut blunt. I would use nair or shave it. Waxing hurts and arm hairs tend to be really fine, and I''m not sure they make a good waxing candidate.

Good luck with your wedding day, btw.

laine

Brilliant_Rock
I have weirdly long hair on my arms, and I''ve started using a guys beard trimmer to trim it shorter. Its much less noticeable that way, and I don''t have to deal with the weird stubble issues that I worry about. Its not dark, just long, so this works for me.

cdt1101

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve been waxing my arm hair for a few years now, I definitely recommend it. Because the hair is fine, it doesn''t hurt much at all. And i only have to do it at the most once a month (sometimes not even that often). I''ve never done the nair thing so I can''t compare. But the waxing has worked out great for me and it feels soft as a baby''s bottom when done!
9.gif

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Hi,
I use to bleach my arm hair and then one day a few years ago I was about to bleach and though, hmm, I had just bought a home wax kit for my legs which did not work on my legs so spur of the moment I did my arms. It was really tough to do it myself but I loved the results. Then when it started to come back it actually came back lighter because hair has several growth cycles and what you are seeing on your arm is several growth cycles so when it grows back it grows back one cycle at a time. Peridocially after that I got my arms waxed at a salon until that got to be a pain to keep up with. So I bleach in the summer.

But I''m saving up to laser it off so I''ll be done with it.

Anyway, back to you question, it did not come back heavier or thicker at all. At first its lighter but over time its back to where it was had I done nothing at all. If your self concious about it, I would get it waxed. I don''t know when your wedding is but I would do it now to test and then you can do it again a few days before your wedding. I would not reccomend doing it yourself but that my own experience.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
you should probably try both and see what works best for you. if you have time, try and do it at least a couple of growth cycles before your wedding to see how your hair grows back. whatever you do, don't wait until right before the wedding to try out something new!
32.gif

best of luck!

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
I recommend waxing as well. It really doesn''t hurt and it takes a while to grow back. You should try it out...

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
I feel your pain, girl!

I too have dark hair on my arms (and lots of other places
31.gif
), and don''t like the look of it!

I''ve been bleaching my arm hair (jolen bleach from the drugstore), since my teens and really like the results. The hair almost seems to "disappear"! I bleach just about every other month, so it''s no big deal.

Honestly, I''ve never thought about waxing it. Don''t know if I''d like that too much. May just leave that for my brows and bikini.

Someone mentioned laser hair removal. I''d consider that, especially since I''ve gotten pretty good results from it already- I went thru 7-8 sessions last year to remove facial hair and LOVED the results. Started in Feb, finished in Sept and was hair-free for my wedding!

Whatever you do, please start early!

GOOD LUCK!

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
I have hair above upper lip questions for my daughter. I''m a redhead with very light body hair so I never worried about the lip thing, but my daughter has very dark hair and it''s time to do something with that mustache area. She''s only 11.

Do those of you with dark hair, bleach or wax or ?

Thanks

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/24/2007 11:56:46 AM
Author: lawmax
I have hair above upper lip questions for my daughter. I''m a redhead with very light body hair so I never worried about the lip thing, but my daughter has very dark hair and it''s time to do something with that mustache area. She''s only 11.

Thanks
My mother took me waxing when I was about that age. Now I just use Nair, although if you do that with her I''d make sure she''s well supervised--I burned my upper lip one time in high school and had to walk around with a red inflamed and peeling mustache for a WEEK!
32.gif
It was terrible.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I use to bleach but when I was pregnant with my first child 11 years ago I did not want to put bleach below my nose and breath it in so I started waxing. I go once a month for my eyebrows and every other time I do the upper lip. It grows slower than eyebrows. I don''t have much hair their but with pale skin and dark hair, it shows! Another area I plan on lasering!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would wax it for sure. One time in college I saw a girl down the hall bleaching her arm hair....next thing I know she had put it on my arms too and holy cow it burned...I liked the effect but I didn''t do it again. With wax the pain is quick and it''s over. Nair might not get the shorter or finer hairs.

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
I vote waxing. I love waxing. Hurts while you''re doing it, but some of the hairs never grow back at all. I''ve been waxing certain areas for several years now, and when the hairs grow back, they actually grow back lighter and more sparse than before. Nair, or any other depilatory creams, just dissolve the hair, and I don''t remember if they dissolve it down to the root. I would think that they would grow back stubblier than waxing though.

jamiesorr

Shiny_Rock
I would go for the waxing!!! I have had my legs, underarms, & bikini+ waxed. I have been doing my legs for about a year and a half now and the hair is so much thinner and finer. I''m sure if I keep it up for another few years it will eventually stop growing. The arms shouldn''t hurt that bad. I''ve had hair with *much* deeper roots waxed and it wasn''t bad at all.

Now, a few words of advice if you go the waxing route. Do not try it yourself, home waxing kits can get ugly. Using the wrong kind of wax or waxing improperly can have horrible outcomes ie. burning, ripped skin, etc.
I recommend going to a reputable person. The woman I go to is an esthetician and she does a fantastic job.

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/24/2007 11:56:46 AM
Author: lawmax

Thanks

When I was that age, I used to bleach my upper lip. I''m Asian, so any kind of hair in that area is super noticeable. Both my sister and I used to bleach when we were younger, using Jolen''s bleach. Help your daughter with it though, because I remember that if I left it on too long, my skin would get really irritated.

I now wax, because depending on the length of the hair, it may still be noticeable even after you bleach it. The last straw for me was when I was 13 and some random little kid ran up to me and asked why I had a mustache since I''m a girl. I went home and TWEEZED out each hair, one by one. That HURT.

If your daughter has sensitive skin, I would recommend finding a good esthetician to do the waxings. Not all waxes are made equal. I used to go to places who used the same wax for the bikini area, eyebrows and upper lip. The upper lip is an area with a lot of nerve endings, and gentler waxes are better. My current esthetician (she''s great) uses a rose oil-based wax, and it''s much gentler than the other waxes, as it doesn''t adhere to the skin.

If you''re considering permanent hair removal for her, I would recommend waiting until she''s at least 16 to do so, just to make sure the hair follicles don''t regenerate and start growing back again.

Mustaches suck. I hate mine.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the tips. She will have to learn the pain of being female! :) I have a friend who has been bikini waxing for years and says she has little to wax now as the hairs are coming in far fewer and so fine.

I feed my kids organic, limit toxins...I can''t see putting bleach or nair on their bodies!

lawmax
1.gif

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
My girls are little but I know they will have the mustache problem since they both have my super pale skin and dark hair. I will take them for waxing because I think its less toxic than putting bleach right under their nose. The bleach burns. The wax only lasts a second.

ello

Brilliant_Rock
HAAA HAAA HAA - I''m on the floor! It was soo fun to check in and see all the great comments and it''s sooo funny! Thank you ladies, I feel sooooo much better. You would think at age 30 I should know these things!

Thanks again!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Officers girl

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/24/2007 9:23:41 AM
Author: cdt1101
I''ve been waxing my arm hair for a few years now, I definitely recommend it. Because the hair is fine, it doesn''t hurt much at all. And i only have to do it at the most once a month (sometimes not even that often). I''ve never done the nair thing so I can''t compare. But the waxing has worked out great for me and it feels soft as a baby''s bottom when done!
9.gif
me too

Aurelia

Shiny_Rock
So how much hair do you "need" to have going in to get waxed (arms, legs, bikini, etc...)? I''d heard you need a certain length (i.e. not freshly shaved) for it to work. Is that true? I guess I''ve resisted because the idea of not shaving (esp. bikini area) is less appealing than the possible great feeling of getting the wax...

Help me... I am clueless!

Aurelia

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Be careful when it comes to waxing on children. Their skin is much more delicate and scars more easily than adult skin. I have a Middle Eastern friend who said her daughters got some scarring from early waxing. It''s better to bleach, trim or even shave until they are a little older and their skin can better take the pulling of waxing. It''s not worth damaging the skin especially if this is something she''ll be dealing with for the rest of her life.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results