shape
carat
color
clarity

Watch for a man??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
A guy friend just told me he''s finally decided to retire his 20 y.o. cheapie watch and get a nice new one. He wondered what brand did I think was good? I was puzzled and thought I would turn to the experts here!

He is a very successful person, pretty much a Brooks Brothers type dresser. Conservative. Won''t want overly flashy, but definitely very classy. My first impluse was Cartier, but maybe that''s just couase I like a Cartier for *myself*.

Any suggestions?

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t know much about watches in general, much less for a man, but I''ve heard good things about Omega and do see them quite often on successful men. Breitling, as I understand it, is also a great men''s brand. Obviously there''s Rolex and Tag Heuer too.

And you just can''t go wrong with Cartier. I''m sure some far more knowledgeable people will chime in soon.
1.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are some great recent threads about watches on the jewelry forum... I''d check those out.
2.gif

Joolskie

Shiny_Rock
I gave my husband a Tag Heuer watch right before we were married. That was over 10 years ago. And the watch is still as great a mix of classy/sporty now as it was then. It looks great with jeans/t-shirt or a dress suit. He has never had any problems with it.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH and I both have Tags...we love them! DH has had his for two years, I''ve had mine for one, and we''re very pleased with them. DH is actually eyeing the newest style that came out for men...I will have to look at the Tag website and maybe he will receive it for our anniversary in September.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tags, Breitlings, are great watches. Is he the kind that wants a watch with a strap, or more of an all stainless look?? Does he want two tone?? If you can tell me what his budget is, that would help. Does he want an automatic, or something with a quartz movement??

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
I sense a watch expert here!

Ok, budget is probably open, if he likes it, it''s fine. He doesn''t like overly chunky stuff, more elegant, most likely a leather strap. I think an automatic, non quartz is nicer.

It will probably be a daily wear type thing, but his daily stuff involves pretty high level folks, so fancy is fine. This fellow isn''t awfully tall, maybe 5''8" and blond hair, if that influences your style recommendations.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2007 11:08:04 PM
Author: Beacon
I sense a watch expert here!

Ok, budget is probably open, if he likes it, it''s fine. He doesn''t like overly chunky stuff, more elegant, most likely a leather strap. I think an automatic, non quartz is nicer.

It will probably be a daily wear type thing, but his daily stuff involves pretty high level folks, so fancy is fine. This fellow isn''t awfully tall, maybe 5''8'' and blond hair, if that influences your style recommendations.
Not an expert by any means but when I worked for a high end jeweler I learned a thing or two. Give him this link, www.JOMASHOP.com. Just to give him an idea of different styles and prices. I HAVE not bought from them. But always buy local from an authorized dealer, just makes sense to me. Baume and Mercier, Concord, and Cartier are my pics for a nice watch with a leather strap. If you have a Tourneau store near by, they have a great selection. HTH. Lisa

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
What shape do you think he''d like? If he wants a basic round, IWC makes some nice simple, elegant ones, but my favorite for a man is Breguet. If money''s no object, Vacheron Constantin.

If he wants a rectangular one, check out Jaeger-LeCoultre and some of the reverso watches. VC has interesting shapes too.

emilina22

Brilliant_Rock
tiffanys got some nice guy watches and so does movado very sleek and simple! (im thinking of getting my man one for our wedding i figure if i start saving now its possible) my guys got a skagen...he likes it alot its simple and durable....

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
My husband retired his cheapie sport-o watch after our wedding.
You have to decide what type of what you want to get him- does he wear a suit to work everyday? a "large" thick watch w/ a metal band can wear into the cuffs of men''s dress shirts and coats. A guy I used to work w/ hated this and always wore a Skagen watch because of its thin profile. Also a watch w/ a leather band is less likely to have this effect.

I gave my husband a Concord Mariner as a wedding gift- it''s not super-thin, but it''s definitely not as chunky as some of the Tags and more sporty watches.

I think Harriet just bought her fiance a nice watch. There are SO many brands and styles out there.

Would he appreciate having the date on the watch? the whole chronograph thing?

emilina22

Brilliant_Rock
i think the low sleek profile is why my boyfriend loves his skagen...he first got one when he was 15 and it broke after 3 years and then i got him a new one for christmas that was close to 200 and he really takes care of this one which he loves...he got me a diesel watch ive been eyeing for months for christmas...

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not a fashion watch guy. After I thought about it, I don't find appeal in a fashion house name. I don't consider them "real" watches. So, that rules out brands like Cartier, Tiffany, Movado, and Tag. While I think they look really great, if I'm paying that much, I want some status about the quality of the internal "guts" of the watch to go with the prestige of the name. Not just a pretty case with a Seiko part stuck inside (I'm exaggerating a little).

If you're gonna blow $300+ for a watch, I just feel it should be more than a pretty cover over a Timex.

However, I have to point out my mindset. I'm not the kind that buys new clothing cuz what I have is "last season." The only way I'd know what year an outfit came out is if it had the year in big block letters on the outside somewhere. For those of you into fashion, Cartier and the like are right up your alley. I wandered in to a Gucci store with my mom and picked up their wallet. Quality was pure crap compared to my Coach wallet. Bad leather, poor stitching, etc. So, the price difference must have been in the name and styling. Since they both looked like plain black wallets to me, I couldn't see the value.

Like most guys, I like gadgets. I can appreciate the beauty of a handbuilt engine or car. Race cars, plasma TVs, touch screen universal remote controls, etc. That's why I lean towards brands like Patek Phillipe, IWC, A Lange & Sohne, Jaeger, Omega, Rolex, etc. Breitling is about as "flashy" and fashion conscious as I'd get.

If I'm just going with fashion, I'd just go with a Skagen. Pretty case with Citizen guts. I get more unsolicited compliments on the looks of my Skagen than my Omega which cost almost 20 times as much. Not being fashion conscious, I can't for the life of me see why. Of course, it was my wife that picked out the Skagen while I picked the Omega.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results