Want to see what I made today?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love palette knife work!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a lovely cake, Soxfan! That plumeria looks so real I want to sniff it!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shit, make ME a cake!!!:mrgreen2: (seriously not joking!!)

I honestly know nothing about how to charge for a cake, so I'm no good there. But I'd love to have one of these for my birthday:love:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@soxfan , Your cakes are beautiful!!!! You are so talented!!! I know you have kids and a very busy life but have you ever considered starting a cake making business? If you enjoy making them you really should look into this. Think bling money!

Heck if I could do this my 4 year old niece would be begging me to make her a cake every week.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@soxfan , Your cakes are beautiful!!!! You are so talented!!! I know you have kids and a very busy life but have you ever considered starting a cake making business? If you enjoy making them you really should look into this. Think bling money!

Heck if I could do this my 4 year old niece would be begging me to make her a cake every week.

Yes, I have. I used to do it and decided to start up again:)

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
You are so talented! We want to see more pictures of the cakes you make.

:appl::appl::appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I have. I used to do it and decided to start up again:)

I am in awe @soxfan. Your cakes are works of art. :kiss2:

This might be a foolish question but have you ever made gluten free cakes? If so do they taste good or is it something you feel that is not worth the effort? My dh loves to bake but he has never tried baking a gluten free cake and I wonder if it would even be palatable and worth the effort.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What spectacular work you do, soxfan! Did you know I used to give offer a cake to posters who reached 10,000 postings on Pricescope? Kaleigh took that over when I got totally worn out. But the number of people reaching 10,000 kept climbing and the interest in cakes kept waning so the project got dropped. Perhaps because the cakes did not look like yours!

Fabulous!!!

Deb :wavey:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What spectacular work you do, soxfan! Did you know I used to give offer a cake to posters who reached 10,000 postings on Pricescope? Kaleigh took that over when I got totally worn out. But the number of people reaching 10,000 kept climbing and the interest in cakes kept waning so the project got dropped. Perhaps because the cakes did not look like yours!

Fabulous!!!

Deb :wavey:

No! I didn't know that! That is so nice of you!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This might be a foolish question but have you ever made gluten free cakes? If so do they taste good or is it something you feel that is not worth the effort? My dh loves to bake but he has never tried baking a gluten free cake and I wonder if it would even be palatable and worth the effort.

I've never made one:)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never made one:)

Thanks @soxfan. I’ll report back because I’m sad thinking I cannot partake in the holiday season filled with delicious baked goods so my DH said he’d experiment. I’ll let you know if it’s successful or not. I’m thinking there’s a decent market share of those who have to be gluten free so perhaps this is something you’ll want to explore in the future. I’ll let you know what happens.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @soxfan. I’ll report back because I’m sad thinking I cannot partake in the holiday season filled with delicious baked goods so my DH said he’d experiment. I’ll let you know if it’s successful or not. I’m thinking there’s a decent market share of those who have to be gluten free so perhaps this is something you’ll want to explore in the future. I’ll let you know what happens.
Missy, no worries. They make gluten-free cake flour and gluten-free cake mixes. They can be quite yummy!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Whole Foods usually has gluten-free options when you need something in a pinch.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One option to try is Premium Gold Gluten Free Flax & Ancient Grains all-purpose flour. I haven’t used it in a cake, but it worked wonderfully in pancakes and cookies. It is more expensive, but could expand your options. It’s higher in fiber than regular flours, which is why I got it - to add some fiber to my father’s rather limited (by his choice) diet.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'll butt in and answer from my experience.
I did a few times after my mom became (temporarily) allergic to many many food items for a year after my dad died some years back. For me, it was worth it. Would I bake one now that it's not needed? No.
The texture is hard to get right, and your elevation matters. The taste is different and I'd never eat a naked GF cake like I would a traditional one.
A GF cake box mix like Pamela's or KingArthurFlour is a great option if you want to do it once or twice.
But- if you /your husband enjoy the trials that go with scratch baking-
Bobs Red Mill and Hodgson Mill have great product lines to choose from for you to custom tailor the flour mix to your liking.
The other commercially available 1:1 flour replacement blends all vary from each other a bit and they too will all deliver different outcomes from same recipe.

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
That cake looks amazing. I love the bottom edging!!!!!!!!
What flavor inside, and where do you live?

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
Wait.... Chicago?!!!!!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SMH: SoxFan, how many times have you been teased/frustrated/left drooling over a thread for a fabulous piece of jewelry where the OP has included a single photo of the finished product?!! Ahem, lady, we just need more!

I so move for an amendment to the rules and policies of PS that whenever a PSer makes a multitiered, decorated like a pro, so good you wanna eat it all, layer cake that they must include multiple photos of the finished product - profiles, top down, and of course, hand shots!! :mrgreen2::lol-2:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seriously, I want to eat it.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That's a gorgeous looking cake! :lickout: Now I want to go to Hawaii. LOL If I had your talent, I'd be zero'ing in on that. Can you imagine the bling budget you would have with a little side job. :mrgreen2: I would buy a cake from you, but I don't think it would survive going across the border. I'm sure the boarder officers would eat it. LOL LOL

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
@soxfan what a beautiful cake! You are very talented, and patient.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, you've been hiding this talent from us for a long time! That cake is gorgeous! Much too pretty to cut! :lol:

Do not work for minimum wage, though. If you are spending 10 hours making a cake, please charge at least $100. If I made that, I'd have to charge $500 because it would be my one and only masterpiece and might take me 2 weeks! :lol:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
change of plans, client for 21st wanted cupcakes instead of cake. BUT new client wanted a sweetheart cake to surprise her son and new fiancee with at the airport tomorrow. Pics coming later....

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your cakes are beautiful!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, what gorgeous cakes! You are incredibly talented, Soxfan! It must be so satisfying to make such beautiful creations for people. I am sure they love them.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a sweetheart cake- 6 inch two tier. The mom is bringing it to the airport to meet her son and new fiancee with a bottle of champagne! So sweet...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results