shape
carat
color
clarity

Want to see what I made today?

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently started making cakes again. This one is a flamingo cake for a friends daughter. I call it "glamingo." I will put on the flowers later, they are still drying and gum paste is finicky!

IMG_0553.jpg IMG_0555 2.jpg

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ALSO!!! You guys could do me a really big favor. I'm having trouble figuring out what to charge for my cakes. What would you pay for this? *Keep in mind more gum paste flowers will be added- see pic!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ALSO!!! You guys could do me a really big favor. I'm having trouble figuring out what to charge for my cakes. What would you pay for this? *Keep in mind more gum paste flowers will be added- see pic!

That would easily be 80-100$ here at the premier bakery.
What were you thinking?

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please keep the pictures coming @soxfan . Your friend’s daughter is going to thrilled. I wish I was this talented.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome :dance:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks...:lickout:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would research your area’s going rate and probably charge 30 percent less to non friends or non family.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness you are talented! Those flowers are gorgeous! I have no idea about cost for a cake like that but checking around in your area is a good idea. People who are starting out always want to charge too little for their time.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is fabulous Sox! You're so talented =)2

I'd say $100 is pretty spot on for price.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Cute! Prolly yummy also....

PS you need to make a Kevin cake.....

cheers--Sharon

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
O M G!! That’s SPECTACULAR!! I bow to you!!! :clap:

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This cake is AMAZING!!! I love it!

You should charge at least ten million dollars.

Ok, as you can see, I have no experience with buying this kind of cake but I appreciate your talent.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Very talented

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
awesome cake @soxfan ! beautiful color. what kind of cake? wish I could do this.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are so talented! That constitutes a lot of work - I would probably say $80 - $100 in my area!

Even if I had the talent I certainly don't have the patience! Beautiful!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
You have quite the talent! I would start an Instagram just for your cakes with tags people in your area would look for.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
You are super talented!!

Re: charges: I’ll scoop out what the home bakers in your country/area charge for cakes and do the same. And start a few social media accounts to showcase what you can do and how to order, etc. Good luck!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very cute cake.
Love that the top tier is taller.
Assuming it's a 6" and 8", that's close to $4.50/party serving. And assuming speaking of the general public-
Although most people around here wouldn't second guess that for a slice of dessert at a restaurant- very few of those same people will for a custom cake. Or they expect Sylvia Weinstock herself. Or say they can buy the 99cent box mix and 4.99 box of fondant for me that I don't want nor use!
I don't charge. After tallying up all the running around/shipping/utilities/ cleanup I had and calculated what I was 'earning' per hour it was depressing. I pick wisely. And gift it. And it's relaxing now.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would research your area’s going rate and probably charge 30 percent less to non friends or non family.

Good advice Nala! That’s a gorgeous cake!! You have a rare talent!!

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d probably pay $100 for that

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone! Custom cakes are huge in my area. Everyone seems to do birthday parties for their kids until they are 18. :lol: I have another order for the end of the month. I do this as a hobby and for side cash (DH makes all the money around here:) I find word of mouth to be the best advertisement, but am in no rush to be busy all the time! Here is a pic with all the flowers on it:

IMG_0568.jpg

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
awesome cake @soxfan ! beautiful color. what kind of cake? wish I could do this.

It's just yellow cake on top and chocolate on bottom. Buttercream frosting:)

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very cute cake.
Love that the top tier is taller.
Assuming it's a 6" and 8", that's close to $4.50/party serving. And assuming speaking of the general public-
Although most people around here wouldn't second guess that for a slice of dessert at a restaurant- very few of those same people will for a custom cake. Or they expect Sylvia Weinstock herself. Or say they can buy the 99cent box mix and 4.99 box of fondant for me that I don't want nor use!
I don't charge. After tallying up all the running around/shipping/utilities/ cleanup I had and calculated what I was 'earning' per hour it was depressing. I pick wisely. And gift it. And it's relaxing now.

Oh I hear you....I spend so much on supplies and decorating tools that I don't even think I'll break even the first year! I also make cakes for friends and family for free. It IS depressing- It took me 2 days to make this and I charged my friend $85 because she's a repeat customer. That's like $2.50 an hour for my time. LOL!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow @soxfan simply gorgeous and cakelicious :lickout::kiss2:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm making this for the weekend of the 21st. It's my friends in-laws 50th (Golden) anniversary. The flowers will be green and beach plum pink. I am using gold non-pariels and golden sanding sugar as the center of the flowers.

3d544ef3c9bb0d7810deb4d30cca8368.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results