_681.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

_682.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, if you look at the top and bottom of the chart, people in red (and more religious) states are more likely to die by gun.

But wait, I thought guns made people safer, and if not shouldn't religion help out? :confused:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have time to look at all of the charts, but I will say it is NOT correct for my state. There is a 30 day waiting period where the chart says no wait.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
My state's info appears to be correct. It's terrifying how easy it is to get guns.

I couldn't find any state that has a 30 day wait period, here's what I found (and only a relatively small amount of states have ANY waiting period at all!)

http://smartgunlaws.org/waiting-periods-policy-summary/

ETA - reading the "fine print" it looks like maybe this 30 day wait period could occur due to long processing times? I only saw it mentioned under one state/place.

For clarification's sake, here is what I'm referring to from the above link:

"In Maryland, any person who transfers a handgun must wait seven days following the time a prospective purchaser completes an application to purchase the firearm and the application is forwarded to the Secretary of the Maryland State Police. Similarly, New Jersey prohibits retail firearms dealers from delivering a handgun to any person unless the person possesses a valid permit to purchase a handgun and at least seven days have elapsed since the date of application for the permit. The time period to obtain the permit itself can be as long as 30 days (45 days for non-residents)32 while the permit application is processed."

I'd be very happy if there was a 30 day wait!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1444165432|3935514 said:
I don't have time to look at all of the charts, but I will say it is NOT correct for my state. There is a 30 day waiting period where the chart says no wait.

It appears to be incorrect for my state (MA) as well, unless reporting and registration are considered to be different things.

The chart says that MA doesn't require registration, which (to me) implies that people can surreptiously acquire firearms. Not so; in Massachusetts, you purchase through dealers who in turn report purchases to the Firearms Record Bureau (FRB).

If you purchase from a non-dealer, either inside or outside the state, you are required to report the transaction to the FRB within 7 days. Same goes for transfers of ownership. All firearms are either reported by the dealers or as a result of filing requirements for non-dealer transactions.

The chart implies that one can amass a secret stockpile lawfully - not so.

Also, the reason there is no waiting period in Massachusetts is because all the vetting is done before that - you cannot purchase without a valid firearms license. That license is only issued once you've completed a gun safety course and submitted to an interview at your local police station.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Legally, I am a resident of Virginia. I have a Virginia driver's license and I vote in Virginia. Could I just walk into a sporting goods store in Virginia one day and say I want a handgun and buy one on the spot without a permit and not have to register it or have the seller register it? I know (since people have made a point of wearing guns into Starbucks in Virginia...which, in my universe, is totally bizarre) that if I legally own a gun I can wear it around.

I have never taken a gun safety course or practiced at a firing range. In fact, I have only once fired a gun at all. Is this OK in "my" state? Does the Second Amendment say I should be let loose as an ignoramus with a gun although I have to qualify with a car?

AGBF :read:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'll have JD check our state, but it says No for registering and that's not true, I'm pretty sure.

Having a gun doesn't automatically make you safe, just like going to church doesn't make you Christian and going to the garage makes you a car. Can we please get off that? We're all adults and we all have a modicum of common sense so please just stop w/it already.

If we really wanted to be smart asses we could point out that if we keep firearms for safety (which we don't specifically only keep them for that reason), um, der, shouldn't we work toward making it more safe and therefore lessen the necessity for taking safety precautions?

I asked JD and he said there is paper work to fill out but they're not registered in the govt somewhere.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1444165208|3935512 said:
So, if you look at the top and bottom of the chart, people in red (and more religious) states are more likely to die by gun.

But wait, I thought guns made people safer, and if not shouldn't religion help out? :confused:
only if you believe in junk numbers that have been messed around with worse than gia does.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1444191281|3935664 said:
kenny|1444165208|3935512 said:
only if you believe in junk numbers that have been messed around with worse than gia does.
Karl, those firearm-related death stats are derived from all the death certificates filed in each state, which are reported through the National Vital Statistics System -- and are merely a tiny piece of the comprehensive, annual Report on mortality in the U.S., which includes stats on more than 100 causes of death. Table 19 in the 2013 report (the most recent available, issued in 2014)
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr64/nvsr64_02.pdf
Is the source for the X deaths/100,000 residents in each state that is the first column in the table kenny posted.

Because neither the raw data nor the annual Report is compiled-issued by a special interest, gun control group, I'll be surprised if you can point to a solid source that demonstrates the stats you are dismissing are manipulated "junk."

I think what may be surprising to many people is that identified suicides by firearms constituted nearly 2/3 of all identified deaths by firearms in 2013 (21,175 & 11,208) -- see, e.g., Table 10 in the linked Report.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
aljdewey|1444170773|3935552 said:
TooPatient|1444165432|3935514 said:

It appears to be incorrect for my state (MA) as well, unless reporting and registration are considered to be different things.

The chart says that MA doesn't require registration, which (to me) implies that people can surreptiously acquire firearms. Not so; in Massachusetts, you purchase through dealers who in turn report purchases to the Firearms Record Bureau (FRB).

If you purchase from a non-dealer, either inside or outside the state, you are required to report the transaction to the FRB within 7 days. Same goes for transfers of ownership. All firearms are either reported by the dealers or as a result of filing requirements for non-dealer transactions.

The chart implies that one can amass a secret stockpile lawfully - not so.

Also, the reason there is no waiting period in Massachusetts is because all the vetting is done before that - you cannot purchase without a valid firearms license. That license is only issued once you've completed a gun safety course and submitted to an interview at your local police station.

Not to mention carry and non carry licenses are granted BY CITY OR TOWN, not at the state level. And woe be unto you if the chief of police changes and they won't grant a renewal license.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results