shape
carat
color
clarity

Too much for every day wear?

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have been thinking of upgrading my diamond studs to 1ctw. I was just about to buy a pair, but then my sister in law got engaged with a 0.2 ct ring. Apparently she "wanted a diamond size she felt comfortable wearing". She hadnt realized my solitaire is 1 ct until now despite me having had it for 4 years. She is a lovely person, obviously not that interested in jewelry, but now I feel silly for getting an upgrade for my studs...
In my city 0.2- max 0.5 ct seems the norm for solitaire rings, no matter income. Is 1 ctw too much? Or big enough not to be noticed??

Eta, I meant that SIL seems to not be all that interested in jewelry since she hadnt even noticed my rings.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s nice that you’re being considerate of your SIL; however, jewelry is SUCH a personal thing when you factor in one’s individual comfort level, career, budget/finances, etc. Would ‘you’ buy a smaller house because she chose a smaller house? Smaller car? Smaller purse?

So long as you’re not all “in her face” with whatever you choose, IMO what one person is comfortable with should really have no bearing on what you choose for yourself. Get what you want/love, and be happy with it. :wavey:

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It sounds like your SIL got the ring she wanted, rather than having to economize. Just me, I might wait until after their wedding to get some new studs. (In excess of caution?) Maybe find a nice colored stone in the meantime (wink, wink). But it’s possible she would just be like, well, your earlobes need a 1 ct. I look at other people’s bigger jewelry and think it suits them but I couldn’t pull it off.

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
I am definitely the wrong person to reply to this thread. I buy jewelry for me not for others. And I don't worry about what they think. When I post about my latest everyday wear acquisition, yes some will think I'm a nut. And I am.
To answer your question, absolutely not. 1 cttw diamond studs I think is the standard. Hope you do it! Please post pictures when you get your new studs.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I would wear what feels right for you. I tend to be a less is more person as far as preferring plainer and more middle sized jewellery versus larger but I don't expect everyone else to be like that just because I am! Plus I love jewellery but if I went by what was around me I would have basically none because most people wear none lol. And I just can't have that!

As long as you aren't putting down her ring and acting like you are better for having a bigger ring and bigger earrings I really don't see what is wrong with having bigger jewellery than her if it's what you like! And I think 1 carat total weight is a beautiful size. We would love to see them if you get them!:mrgreen2:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear bigger and more diamonds than any woman in my family. But many of them carry Hermès bags or own 2k shoes or wear designer clothes. We all have our own things we like to save and spend on. Diamonds are a bit more visible than some of the other things but I don’t feel self conscious about it.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been thinking of upgrading my diamond studs to 1ctw. I was just about to buy a pair, but then my sister in law got engaged with a 0.2 ct ring. Apparently she "wanted a diamond size she felt comfortable wearing". She hadnt realized my solitaire is 1 ct until now despite me having had it for 4 years. She is a lovely person, obviously not that interested in jewelry, but now I feel silly for getting an upgrade for my studs...
In my city 0.2- max 0.5 ct seems the norm for solitaire rings, no matter income. Is 1 ctw too much? Or big enough not to be noticed??

Eta, I meant that SIL seems to not be all that interested in jewelry since she hadnt even noticed my rings.
I have .50 ct. each studs. They are AVR diamonds, so they face up slightly smaller than MRBs, but they have been the perfect size for everyday wear. I think you should get what you want and not figure SIL into the equation. IMO a 1 ct. e-ring and 1cttw. studs are classic and very wearable for all occasions.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You do you. I wouldn't wait. You said she doesn't notice jewelry. She may even assume your studs are not real. It didn't sound like she was jealous or envious. She's happy.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for all of your kind replies! I feel like I would say the same thing as you if someone had asked me. I think I needed some reassurance. Not sure I want to be the crazy diamond lady... but then again, maybe I already am (and my diamonds arent even that big!!!) :lol:;)2

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m still not sure how your SIL even plays into your decision. You’re the one wearing or not wearing. How does it involve her? (I know. You’re trying to be considerate but I don’t think that even applies. Saying this in the nicest way possible.). Life is short. Be you.

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Get what you like! They wont notice, and if they do they likely won't care!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I don't think 1 ct studs are large at all. I would say try some on first to get the feel of them and make sure you like the weight. I try on jewelry at store I know I'm not going to buy from because I just want to make sure I'm exactly happy with the size/shape/color, etc. before ordering from the company (usually online) I want to go with.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think 1ctw would make anyone look at you sideways. And if they did, they'd probably assume they were faux. Plus, if you SIL didn't notice your ring, she's not going to notice your ears. If you can afford them and you like them, you should get them. Just my 2 cents.

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My studs are 4ctw. No one cares. And I have gotten severe DSS since buying them. So all is good :P2

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My studs are 4ctw. No one cares. And I have gotten severe DSS since buying them. So all is good :P2

When you next visit we will upgrade you to 6 (or 8 if you wish) ctw. You can pull it off girlfriend.:love:

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When you next visit we will upgrade you to 6 (or 8 if you wish) ctw. You can pull it off girlfriend.:love:
Should have at least 5 to match my ring :lol::lol-2::lol:

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
See? Not so big! Sorry about the hopeless picture, I have no talent for these things!

BBAF48EC-AAB7-4D31-AE45-770032588E6E.jpeg

Attachments

• 40F2C446-EF01-4123-8D57-C9245E62B50F.jpeg
    40F2C446-EF01-4123-8D57-C9245E62B50F.jpeg
    232.1 KB · Views: 41
  • EA14D018-5076-4BC6-9B7C-75461210F65B.jpeg
    EA14D018-5076-4BC6-9B7C-75461210F65B.jpeg
    130.7 KB · Views: 22

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear a 1.22tcw every day. if I want to get fancy I put the jackets on. Sometimes I leave them on. (puts me closer to 2ct mark) 2cts is enormous on me and I love it:love: People already think mine are fake (good!!) so 2cts would be amazing.

Basically if you have a lot of ear meat, 1ct isn't going to look too big.

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think that 1cttw is a good everyday size - but I am also surrounded by 2ct and higher stones.

Really it's a comfort thing, would you have been comfortable wearing that size around your SIL prior to her engagement? Is her ring the ONLY thing holding you back?

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for all of your comments!
@Scandinavian simply divine studs!!!
@metall no, I wouldnt say she is the only thing holding me back. I guess she (not personally) simply made me feel like I was going to big...

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@metall no, I wouldnt say she is the only thing holding me back. I guess she (not personally) simply made me feel like I was going to big...

I think you've answered your own question here. She's not holding you back, but you're subconscious is worried about something. I hope the rest of us here has help put whatever is in your subconscious to rest.

I for one cant wait to see photos of your new bling :mrgreen2::mrgreen2:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Life is short. Wear what you love and enjoy it.

That said you're talking to a woman whose rings are slowly progressing to the size of her head so of course I tell everyone to go big :lol:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Is there a question here? She is not on your train. ("you've got a ticket to ride...and she don't care").

cheers--Sharon

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you would like the studs please get them! They are a great everyday size and they won't look showy or ostentatious. And come back with pics! :kiss2:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would get whatever size you like and are comfortable wearing.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results