shape
carat
color
clarity

Too childish? (Can you tell I''m on a roll today?)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NuggetBrain

Shiny_Rock
So we are thinking of doing gourmet cupcakes instead of cake (4 different kinds, 2 chocolate based and two white cake based) - not only because its different, but because we're including cupcake holders for people to take them home if they can't finish them at dessert. We're also going to do a photo booth with attendant where folks take pictures of themselves or groups, get a strip of 4 pics, then cut two of them and put them in a photo book and write a little message to us (we get to bring that home at the end of the night). And I'm doing to do a candy buffet through the same place doing our cupcakes instead of favors at the tables (the containers will probably be little chinese takeout boxes with something on them).

FH thinks that we are going overboard and that the wedding is going to be too childish and tacky. He's the one insistant on the photo booth, I really want the candy buffet, and we both like the idea of cupcakes. Should we keep it as it is, maybe scrap one of the ideas? I don't want people to feel like they're at a county fair and I defintely want some level of elegance to the whole thing....

NuggetBrain

Shiny_Rock
This is the candy table we''ll be using, with maybe a couple different candies than pictured and different decorations.

candies_06.jpg

mrowmrowsmom

Rough_Rock
I don''t think it''s too childish if it reflects your interests/likes as a couple. This is especially true if the candy bar and cupcakes are more sophisticated, and not Skittles and white cupcakes with thick white frosting and sprinkles.

I think you should go for it. The whole thing sounds like a blast!

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
i think it will all mesh together well and wont come off as too childish if you do it the right way :)

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I''m the type of person that 1) isn''t traditional and 2) likes to do things that are a little more memorable than the norm. I think all of your ideas are great and while I wouldn''t use the word "childish", there''s nothing wrong with being a kid at heart! I especially love the photo booth idea!

teapot

Shiny_Rock
I don''t think it is too childish. We had a photobooth at our wedding and it was so much fun for those who used it. I wouldn''t change a thing if that is what you want.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
You know what... as long as the wedding is reflective of the couple - it will be fun and not forced. Do what you wish... candy and cupcakes is fine!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2009 3:35:12 PM
Author: tlh
You know what... as long as the wedding is reflective of the couple - it will be fun and not forced. Do what you wish... candy and cupcakes is fine!
Agreed. I think people run into problems when they worry about being "different" or "non-traditional" or "memorable." Worry about choosing things that speak to you, not about the statement they will make.

Do what you wish, and it will be lovely.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think it''s tacky at all. Cupcakes en mass can look stunning at a wedding, and there are so many designs, I wouldn''t call them tacky at all!

MMM

Brilliant_Rock
i dont think its childish or county fair-like (says the girl that had a cotton candy machine at her wedding)!!
i think it sounds young, fun, fresh, and creative; it sounds like a party i''d like to go to!

sugarjo

Shiny_Rock
Please excuse my blunt honest, but i''d like to chime in and say that the cupcake thing is taking a turn for the "out" wedding pastry land. I am a pastry chef and the trend is no longer in cupcakes, frankly, they are overdone. if you are concerned about cost, maybe consider a "dummy cake'' for the presentation and keep a sheet cake in the back, it will save you a lot of money...

NuggetBrain

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/30/2009 10:47:27 PM
Author: sugarjo
Please excuse my blunt honest, but i'd like to chime in and say that the cupcake thing is taking a turn for the 'out' wedding pastry land. I am a pastry chef and the trend is no longer in cupcakes, frankly, they are overdone. if you are concerned about cost, maybe consider a 'dummy cake' for the presentation and keep a sheet cake in the back, it will save you a lot of money...

Its not so much about money or wanting to be trendy. We just really like the idea of cupcakes - it kind of fits with our low key, laid back style. Also, we want guests to be able to have a selection (hence the 4 kinds of cupcakes). Also, we're up in Minnesota so a lot of stuff that's "out" in New York and LA and places like that take a lot longer to be "out" in Minnesota. LOL, us Midwesterners are very behind the times.
2.gif

DiamondsforDee

Shiny_Rock
IMHO, it sounds pretty childish and fair like. More like a kids birthday party than a wedding. But if you and your FI love cupcakes and photo booths and candy buffets then go for it! No one elses opinion matters. There will always be people who love or hate whatever it is you decided to do. Just find something that is representative of you and your FI and embrace it.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 12:51:59 PM
Author: NuggetBrain
Date: 3/30/2009 10:47:27 PM

Author: sugarjo

Please excuse my blunt honest, but i''d like to chime in and say that the cupcake thing is taking a turn for the ''out'' wedding pastry land. I am a pastry chef and the trend is no longer in cupcakes, frankly, they are overdone. if you are concerned about cost, maybe consider a ''dummy cake'' for the presentation and keep a sheet cake in the back, it will save you a lot of money...

Its not so much about money or wanting to be trendy. We just really like the idea of cupcakes - it kind of fits with our low key, laid back style. Also, we want guests to be able to have a selection (hence the 4 kinds of cupcakes). Also, we''re up in Minnesota so a lot of stuff that''s ''out'' in New York and LA and places like that take a lot longer to be ''out'' in Minnesota. LOL, us Midwesterners are very behind the times.
2.gif

Ditto this! Cupcakes are just starting to catch on where I am...and I love cupcakes, so I think it''s a fabulous idea. Also, if you ARE a younger person and your friends like a bit of a party, the candy table is great because it can sit out the entire time, and your guests can have a little snack later in the evening. And the photobooth thing is cute, IMO - I would cut it if you were worried about budget because it''s definitely extra (a friend of mine had someone simply take polaroids of each table and then each table signed a page in a ready-made scrapbook with our photo mounted on it - same idea), but if that''s no biggie, I don''t see why the photo booth is.

So...here''s a vote for NOT tacky, this stuff has all been in wedding mags - so if you''re happy with it, GO FOR IT. :)

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with the others. Do what you like as a couple and it won''t look childish at all. I love all the ideas you have.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I say go for it! Sorry, but as a person at a wedding, all I''d think is "SWEET!!! CUPCAKES AND CANDY!!!!" It''s fun, it''s tasty, and who cares? Go with what you like!

marchswallowbird

Brilliant_Rock
I like your ideas. Don''t change anything. I don''t think it is childish, as long as the way you decorate the candy buffet table is elegant; the same with how the cupcakes are displayed. The photo booth will be just plain fun for all the guests.

Who says a wedding can''t be fun and different? Why does it have to be stuffy and traditional? I say go for it and have a blast.

littlemissbliss

Shiny_Rock
I am also a chef and I have made countless wedding cakes. I am going to tell you what I tell all my brides -- IT IS YOUR DAY AND YOU SHOULD DO EXACTLY WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY WITHOUT CONCERN OF WHAT SOMEONE SAYS IS "IN" OR "OUT." Fill your day with things you love and your guests will be delighted to share in that with you.

Who cares if the trend is on the way out? You certainly are not trying to please your pastry chef. They work for you. Do as you please and do it for yourself. Make absolutely sure that everything is well executed and then enjoy it. Find yourself a chef that wants YOU to have what YOU want, and they will run with your idea and make it fab and light-hearted and sweet, not childish.

Can''t wait to see how it turns out, whatever you decide!

Something to keep in mind -- will you have a small cake to cut into for pictures? Just a thought.....

NuggetBrain

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 6:43:45 PM
Author: littlemissbliss
I am also a chef and I have made countless wedding cakes. I am going to tell you what I tell all my brides -- IT IS YOUR DAY AND YOU SHOULD DO EXACTLY WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY WITHOUT CONCERN OF WHAT SOMEONE SAYS IS ''IN'' OR ''OUT.'' Fill your day with things you love and your guests will be delighted to share in that with you.

Who cares if the trend is on the way out? You certainly are not trying to please your pastry chef. They work for you. Do as you please and do it for yourself. Make absolutely sure that everything is well executed and then enjoy it. Find yourself a chef that wants YOU to have what YOU want, and they will run with your idea and make it fab and light-hearted and sweet, not childish.

Can''t wait to see how it turns out, whatever you decide!

Something to keep in mind -- will you have a small cake to cut into for pictures? Just a thought.....
Yeah, I think we''re going to get a little cake topper to cut for the pictures. I think we''re going to cut the cake before dinner.

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t think it''d be childish or fair-like to have cupcakes. I don''t know what exactly you have planned for the cupcakes, but found two examples to show how elegant cupcake wedding cakes can be to those who are doubtful.

I''m excited to see what you have planned and feel you should do whatever it is you want. It is YOUR WEDDING afterall.
2.gif

nb-wedding-cupcakes-example.jpg

bensbride

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t think any of this sounds childish at all. I''m also having a candy buffet, and I wanted a photobooth. I see nothing wrong with any of your choices. Then again, I''m an Iowa girl who might also be "behind the times." I really doubt that anybody would look down upon you for having some fun and yumminess on your big day.

pocahontas

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with those who've said you and FI should do whatever is reflective of your personalities. People will always find flaws in your ideas if they want to. FWIW, I love the idea of serving cupcakes and having a candy buffet and photobooth! Regarding your fears that these things are childish or tacky, I don't think they are at all! I think guests would love them - I know I would, especially the candy buffet
18.gif

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto to the majority of the posts...do what reflects the two of you as a couple, and if you do it in an elegant way then there''s no way it would seem childish! FWIW, I''ve considered doing all three at our wedding but I think I''m just going to go with the photobooth (DIY) and cupcakes (which I don''t think EVEr go out of style because they''ll always be delicious!
18.gif
).

NuggetBrain

Shiny_Rock
Thank you guys for all the feedback, I really appreciate it! I think we''re sold on the cupcakes - the photobooth and candy buffet we are going to hold up in the air and if our budget can handle it, we''ll probably work them in somehow. FI wants a booth for the whole night, I think 3 hours is enough time considering our guest list will be fairly small (about 100 folks).

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m going to have cupcakes as our only cake item, we''re not having wedding cake, but we''ll have cupcakes at our engagement party.

I don''t think any of these ideas are childish. At all.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think it sounds childish. Having Sesame Street characters as a theme would be childish, but most adults I know are big fans of cupcakes and of candy
2.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2009 4:17:34 PM
Author: Haven

Date: 3/24/2009 3:35:12 PM
Author: tlh
Agreed. I think people run into problems when they worry about being ''different'' or ''non-traditional'' or ''memorable.'' Worry about choosing things that speak to you, not about the statement they will make.

Do what you wish, and it will be lovely.
I agree with Haven and tlh.

I''ve seen threads where someone points out that something might be overdone, but I don''t get it. Maybe other guests have seen a particular element of a couple''s wedding many times at other weddings, but, chances are, it wasn''t at THAT couple''s event. Do you know what I mean? I know I didn''t word that correctly.

For example, we knew we wanted to use Pachabel''s Canon before or during our ceremony. We knew that the song had been used at a zillion weddings we had been to, but we didn''t care. It had never been used at OUR wedding. Does that make more sense? Same thing regarding this wedding.

If you and your FI love the idea and it reflects your personalities, I say go for it and have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results