shape
carat
color
clarity

Tipping Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Hello. I am having a new washer/dryer delivered on Monday (yea!) and I''m not sure if tipping is appropriate for the delivery people. I was supposed to pay a delivery/installation fee, but the gal took it off our bill because it took a really long time to put the order in and she said we were so nice/patient she was taking the fee off. So technically, I was supposed to pay a fee to have it delivered/installed, but I didn''t pay it. So is it appropriate to tip them when they deliver? If so, how much per person? Thanks!

chiapet

Brilliant_Rock
I usually tip $5-20 depending on the type of service provided. For instance, the cable guy came this morning to switch the cable box and I tipped him $5. My handyman helped me move a desk upstairs last month and I gave him $10. If you can afford it and depending on how many men there are, tip them $10-20 each.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Yes, about 10 - 20 a person.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, guys!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Steph, we got a new washer and dryer a couple years ago. We bought them from Lowe''s and they offered free delivery. Well, the two delivery guys from Lowe''s were very nice and helpful, and I felt SO bad that they had to carry that heavy washer and dryer down our very narrow basement stairs! They had an awful time, and the dryer actually got stuck in the stairway at one point and they had to get it un-stuck!
23.gif

I did tip them, but I can''t remember how much. (I think it was about $20 or so?) They delivered them late in the morning, and I wanted them to be able to go out for a nice lunch after having such a hard time with our basement stairs!
21.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2009 1:00:23 PM
Author: chiapet
I usually tip $5-20 depending on the type of service provided. For instance, the cable guy came this morning to switch the cable box and I tipped him $5. My handyman helped me move a desk upstairs last month and I gave him $10. If you can afford it and depending on how many men there are, tip them $10-20 each.
I didn''t realize we''re suppose to tip the cable guy!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, our cable guy came this morning and did tons of setup work and didnt leave until he double checked everything (cable, phone and road runner).
He was such a nice guy and knew the answer to all the questions we had. I didnt even think about tipping him but now that I think of it he really
deserved one (although he seemed like the kind of guy who would have turned it down).

We had mattresses delivered a couple of years ago (and they took the old ones). They were supper nice and game me a plastic fitting to put
on the metal bed support (that you usually knock your ankle on). I tipped them $20. ($10 a piece)

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
oops! I don''t think I have ever tipped delivery people. Never thought about it except for the pizza guy and I rarely do delivery.

chiapet

Brilliant_Rock
I always tip delivery and service people because I feel that they most likely earn minimum wages so even $5 helps them out. I also tip food delivery people extra when the weather is crappy
2.gif
Maybe it''s a New York city thing?

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, again....yep, I always tip food deliver people extra if it is bad weather. I have just never been alone when having appliances delivered, the husband usually takes care of that. But I figured these guys would appreciate the gesture, I just wasn''t sure how much would be appropriate. They just have to take it straight into the laundry room from the garage, so no stairs or anything, so I figure $10 is good. Thanks
1.gif

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/4/2009 3:14:24 AM
I always tip delivery and service people because I feel that they most likely earn minimum wages so even $5 helps them out. I also tip food delivery people extra when the weather is crappy
2.gif
Funny, I do the same. Also from the city.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/4/2009 1:10:37 PM
Author: elle_chris
Date: 10/4/2009 3:14:24 AM

2.gif
Funny, I do the same. Also from the city.

Tip and offer bottled water here in.......Phoenix, Arizona. When someone is hauling some crap up 3 flights of stairs in 110 degree weather they deserve a tip.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also give good tips to delivery (pizza) people. But, isn''t their pay based on the assumption that they''ll get tips and that factors into their monthly income? With washer/dryer (or whomever) don''t they just get paid a standard rate, not one that would take into account a possible tip from a customer?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cable guys arent allowed to accept tips here, they can get fired if they do.

Last time I had furniture delivered I gave them each $5 which at the time was enough for a fast food lunch.
These days it would have to be $10
I usually have family pick up things so it doesn''t come up very often.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess I dont have too many things delivered. Most of the time, I make my own pizza. Buy a new washer and dryer what every ten years or so. Bought our
fridge at Costco. Had new furniture delivered when we bought a new house but never really thought to tip the guys. I guess I was thinking we had paid literally
a small fortune for it all-. However, I am usually a very generous tipper. Just didnt think of that one, it happens kind of infrequently.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
We usually tip $10 each...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results