carat
color
clarity

Tipping a delivery driver

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
part gypsy|1439242640|3913088 said:
katharath|1439241529|3913079 said:
Oh man, Sears...we had a HORRIBLE experience when we bought our washer and dryer there just a few months ago. It took two separate delivery visits, two trips to Sears, and at least a dozen phone calls to get them to deliver what they were supposed to.

On the first trip they did deliver the correct washer, but not the correct dryer; they took our working dryer out before they realized that they brought the wrong new dryer, and then refused to put the old one back in (it was "against policy" or some bullshit). So we were without a dryer for a week while we figured this all out (and the drivers were super weird about taking our old dryer - from things that they said, I believe it's bc they planned on selling or keeping it themselves - it was really screwy. And they did take it away even though I didn't want them to; but they had already loaded it in the truck and they had refused to re-install it. They even asked me not to tell anyone that they were taking it!!! They claimed that this was for "my" benefit, bc supposedly if they took away appliances they were supposed to charge for it, even though at Sears they had expressly told us that take away of old units was free and included in delivery pricing. We asked twice just to verify this. The delivery guys were VERY shady characters. We tried to tell Sears, but they didn't even care - the drivers aren't Sears employees, just contracted delivery people).

There is actually a LOT more to the story, I could go on and on with how they screwed up, but it's very boring, lol. Let me just say that it was a big, time sucking mess, and it left us without a dryer for a week, and ended up costing us more than we were initially quoted (they even tried to charge us for delivery a second time, even though the screw ups were all their fault! But since they had to come back again to deliver the right dryer, they initially tried to charge us another $75 or whatever it was - we told them if they were going to do that, then they could forget about making the sale and refund us, we would just go to Lowes and get the dryer there).

I will never ever ever ever buy anything else from Sears. Just never.

The sad thing is that a cousin of mine had a similar bad experience with Home Depot, and a different friend had a similar experience with Lowes... So the moral is that I guess every store can royally screw up, and you're not really safe buying from anywhere, lol.

That is so weird. I ALSO felt they were doing this so maybe they could resell, because after telling them multiple times we wanted to keep the dryer they took it! Since I was going to sell it they owe me some money if they can't relocate it!
You've all got me thinking I need to use the video recording feature on my phone from now on, and not use the haul away option on my items.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Part gypsy - After reading your comments I'm even more sure that we are onto something here. I really think there's some scam where the drivers manage to get money from old units.

Good luck with getting your situation resolved!! We did get what we were supposed to, but it took a lot of time and effort. Try to deal with a manager, and if necessary act like you will buy a lot more from them in the future if they take care of you. My DH actually told the manager that we were about to buy a fridge too, and that if they resolved the dryer situation quickly we would but it from them. It was a total lie but it seemed to help motivate them, lol. Sadly we will never recommend Sears to anyone.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
katharath|1439248597|3913127 said:
Part gypsy - After reading your comments I'm even more sure that we are onto something here. I really think there's some scam where the drivers manage to get money from old units.

Good luck with getting your situation resolved!! We did get what we were supposed to, but it took a lot of time and effort. Try to deal with a manager, and if necessary act like you will buy a lot more from them in the future if they take care of you. My DH actually told the manager that we were about to buy a fridge too, and that if they resolved the dryer situation quickly we would but it from them. It was a total lie but it seemed to help motivate them, lol. Sadly we will never recommend Sears to anyone.

Maybe you guys need to report these incidents to someone? Attorney General? Consumer Affairs?

You probably really are onto something...

Now that I have elderly parents whenever I hear about things like this or something happens to me I had to fight for or could have easily fooled me, I think of them...

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For appliance haul away, look into scrap metal people. There is a guy who left a flier here one day. He collects metal stuff and sells it for scrap. Comes out free. Hauls away. Something like 30% he donates to charity.

For working (or could be repaired), I have been taking to a local place that repairs and sells. Some go to people for lower cost and others are donated to houses for low income people.

A lot better than letting Sears have it! (been there, fought with them :rolleyes: )

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Um, they took something that belonged to you when you expressly told them not to! Call the police, that's theft.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
aviastar|1439386650|3913675 said:
Um, they took something that belonged to you when you expressly told them not to! Call the police, that's theft.

Husband also noticed that the repairman took the dryer cord (which we were charged $30 on the invoice). So that's another thing need to resolve.
But good news, followed up with customer service, they agreed they weren't supposed to do that, and they are supposed to return our working dryer hopefully today. I let my husband know who is home today, and said anything else that needs to be done (he did everything but level it) let THEM do it, since install was included.

Husband was a trooper.Other than plugging in dryer (waiting on a longer cord we ordered) he did everything else for the install including putting a nicer exhaust pipe/vent/whatever-its-called for the dryer.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad to hear it's all working out, pg!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results