shape
carat
color
clarity

Things you''ve learned from wedding planning...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
So hopefully this will be a fun Friday post... What have you learned from wedding planning? Doesn''t have to be serious or even life-altering... just something you know now that you didn''t know before you started planning your wedding. I won''t say "before you were engaged" because, really, how many of us let that hold us back?
2.gif

Me? I learned how to spell Swarovski!
36.gif
as in crystals. I could barely even pronounce it before, and now I can spell it.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
That it doesn''t have to be a giant headache! I was so afraid it would be, but knock on wood, things have gone smoothly so far.

And also, I learned that I REALLY like going into jewelry stores and looking at possible wedding bands
31.gif

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
great thread!

1. that it is VERY expensive, even for a laid back, small wedding!

2. that the people you didn''t expect to be helpful are..and vice versa!

3. that many of the cliches are true, about stress, bridezillas, ups and downs

4. finding a dress is easy!

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
1) That one should ALWAYS do more than one round of try-ons when looking for your gown
2.gif
The first time, if you''re like me, you''ve never been in a gown at all before so any gown sort of causes you to emote in ways you may misinterpret as "This is the one" lol. Oh......and at the very first try-on......make sure you try on many different styles! Basically, test your own hypotheses so you''re sure you don''t like what you think you don''t like.

2) I''ll say this because I''m bias....before thinking you CAN''T wear a strapless gown....check out Maggie Sottero gowns
30.gif
36.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you use the word bridal or wedding...everything goes up in $$ by 3X!!

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
How about:

-Things I said I''d never do...I''m doing!

-Somehow Bridal mags/shows/forums alter your first ''visions'', and somehow, everything ends up way more Bridaly than you anticipated ;-)

-Everything is WAY more $$ than you thought it would be

-Finding an ''Untraditional'' dress that is good quality and affordable is almost impossible!

-Canada is the "red-headed stepchild"* of the US (we don''t have access to nearly the amount and caliber of vendors that you have!!)

*no offense to all the raven beauties out there
emwink.gif
It''s just an expression

caligal

Shiny_Rock
Great idea Sumbride!

Mine are:
Noone is as into the details as you and if you are lucky, your fiance! So share minimal with bridal party, for me- even Mom, and friends until they ask for more-
A short engagement is awesome because you keep the enthusiasm up and it is exciting! I can''t imgaine dragging this out for a year-
Think about ideas before you implement them... you might change your mind or find something cheaper/better

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
While I was wedding planning, I learned that I had the wrong guy.
20.gif
I also learned that nothing is better than a family and friends who back you and your decisions 1000% no matter what, even if the decision is to break the engagement.

I learned that you can''t please everyone with all your planning all the time, but at the very least YOU should be satisfied with the outcome. I went through a lot of hassling over band vs. dj, BM dresses, cake styles, etc. I tried to strike a balance and in the end I knew it didn''t really matter to anyone as much as it did to me so I chose what I wanted.

I also learned that wearing an engagement ring leads to close calls in the car while driving and to bling gazing in prime lighting available in stores and restaurants.
2.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I learned the less you expect of people, the more they seem to want to do.

I learned that ugly - no, HIDEOUS - visitor''s books do not matter

I learned that all the frills don''t matter...if you are a happy couple on your wedding day, that is what people remember. That and what a cool open bar you had.
41.gif

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
I learned that just because someone has a "perfect" wedding w/ very expensive vendors, doesn''t mean that couple will have a good marriage.

I learned that some family members won''t care if you are happy and only want what they want even though they are not the ones getting married or footing the bill.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I learned that Las Vegas is a fine place to elope!
9.gif

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
I learned that you may not ever have the ''it''s the one'' dress moment, but that simply getting A dress is a big step for us indecisive ones....I also learned that I can''t relinquish control for much of anything wedding related, but this is okay, as long as i stay nice to people
3.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i learned a heck of a lot!

1- the good and bad come out from people you least expect. you find help in places you''d never think! and you find stresses in situations & people you''d never, never expect.

2- there are three times in life that i think you can easily be taken for a ride cause mention their word and people see $$ : births, weddings & funerals.

3- even though i thought otherwise in the beginning, it is just one day and some things just don''t matter.

4- i also learned a lot about myself in the process which was very surprising.

5- the bride can tackle all of the wedding planning by herself and come out alive and happy in the end.

6- alter arrangements are not paid for by the church.
9.gif
either i never thought about it before or never noticed those arrangements to know that it''s a part of the wedding expenses.

7- if you put your heart into something, it''s worth it in the end.

8- there''s always little things you''d like to change or pictures that weren''t taken.

9- you CAN take it all in & remember it all!!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2007 5:17:36 PM
Author: Jas12
I learned that you may not ever have the ''it''s the one'' dress moment, but that simply getting A dress is a big step for us indecisive ones....I also learned that I can''t relinquish control for much of anything wedding related, but this is okay, as long as i stay nice to people
3.gif
ha, those should be my #10 and #11!

wifey2b

Brilliant_Rock
That family always want to be the one to plan everything...don''t know why it is our wedding - giggle

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
I have learned the following:

1) You can plan a wedding in four months
2) You WILL NOT be able to satisfy or please each and every guest and/or family member.
3) I don''t like to deal in details!
4) But at the same time, I am much more concerned with details that I thought I would be.
5.gif

5) I am lacking the bride gene...and that''s okay!
6) Short engagements are a blessing and a curse.
7) I don''t want to plan ANOTHER wedding, though I have enjoyed the process much more so than I thought I would.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2007 3:12:20 PM
Author: kcoursolle
If you use the word bridal or wedding...everything goes up in $$ by 3X!!

I've learned that the whole wedding whirlwind is a slippery slope. You take ONE step onto the ride and you are sucked in so that the next thing you know... You've spent WAY too much money on a dress you'll wear once and have to store FOR YEARS, have a cake cutting set you'll never use after the wedding (or even use at the wedding since the caterer will have one anyway, and you've forgotten it at the hotel), you've agonized for DAYS on the perfect font to repesent YOU as a couple, and spent more than you probably would on a dining set for your home for DRESSES for chairs that weren't 'perfect'... and somehow justified it all to seem sane.
3.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I learned that brides absolutely make a choice to be stressed out over wedding planning and that it can be a ton of fun if approached with the correct attitude.

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve leaned

That wedding planning isn''t stressful if you are organized and laid back.

That it will BECOME stressful if you attempt to do all your registering in 1 day (YIKES).

and a WHOLE lot of random information on just about every island in the caribbean, and not just the islands--the different hotels, flight avaliablility, etc. I didn''t realize I was retaining this much information until a friend asked me if I knew anything about Aruba.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I learned a lot, but I also learned that the whole process can really bring out the ugliness in people, often times people you would never expect to have an issue with! So I learned to stand my ground on the things that were important to me and let the other stuff go...

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
I've learned:

*How to spell hors d'oeurve! I only wrote it everywhere...

*How to REALLY not sweat the small stuff but stand up for what I really want.

*Even edible favors are not taken by wedding guests.

*That taking things in stride and enjoying the reality of it all is better than having everything go "perfectly" (which doesn't happen anyways).

*Not all MOB's want to take over their daughter's wedding, and not all daughters want their mothers to leave their wedding alone.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
I''ve learned that:
1) A wedding is about two people getting married and that special moment in time when you look into each others eyes and vow to love and stand by each other for the rest of your lives. Not about having a big party for everyone you and your parents know.

2) Even though you really thought all those people wouldn''t actually come to your wedding anyway... you were wrong and they would have and now they don''t understand why you''re not having a wedding where they can come and have fun. eh... too bad!
27.gif

3) Getting all the details you actually care about (like having an officiant confirmed) decided on and booked way ahead of time is a very good idea. I''m a month out with an absentee coordinator and no idea of what''s been booked!
32.gif

4) Realizing that no matter what the only important part is that one moment will help you not to go insane.
2.gif

5) Finding the wedding ring is far more important than finding the perfect wedding dress.

San Diego Bride

Shiny_Rock
the words "martini bar" sure do make people happy!

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
I learned that if you don''t designate responsabilities to certain people on the actual wedding day, EVERYone will try to *help* you out, and then you start freaking out about where your champagne flute went, where is the marker and the signature board, and where in the world is your overnight bag with a change of clothes for the morning after breakfast?!?! yeah... all of those happened to me
6.gif

21.gif
21.gif
21.gif

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
I have learned (or am perhaps still learning!) to let things go.

I have also learned that I am not very good at sticking to a budget...
38.gif

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve learned to let your wedding "vision" come into focus before choosing big things like bm dresses or you risk changing you mind later down the line after you already told your women what you want them to choose from or buy.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I have learned that Bridal Shows are NOT worth the time or price of admission, unless you''re a young, easily influenced bride. I lost 5 hours out of my Saturday last weekend and all I got was cake samples and pushy sales pitches!

NEVER AGAIN!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results