shape
carat
color
clarity

The Olympics! Who is watching?

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
It’s that time again, the Olympics! I personally have always loved the Olympics. To me the Olympics is a time to sit together with family, eat snacks and stay up late admiring human strength and skill.

Who else is watching, and what are your favorites?

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I adore the Olympics. I have such fond childhood memories of watching the swimming as a family. Australia is historically strong and successful in the pool, so most of my fondest, spine-tingling memories of sport are of watching Aussies competing in the swimming. Dad and I really love the swimming and the athletics, particularly the men's relay sprints. I'm almost 40 but still pop over to mum and dad's house to watch the swimming with them, if DH isn't home! :bigsmile:

My absolute favourite even, however is the rhythmic gymnastics, and I enjoy watching the equestrian cross country too. I just love watching people live their dreams!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t feel I’m as excited as normal about it all. I watched a tv report last night where they showed all the protests going on. Also, it’s very strange that there are no spectators inside the venues, yet there are crowds of people watching outside! Sorry, I think COVID has finally got to me!

Anyway, in a normal year I’d be watching mostly athletics, love the various running events, plus the rowing and cycling as the Brits often do well there.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don’t feel I’m as excited as normal about it all. I watched a tv report last night where they showed all the protests going on. Also, it’s very strange that there are no spectators inside the venues, yet there are crowds of people watching outside! Sorry, I think COVID has finally got to me!

Anyway, in a normal year I’d be watching mostly athletics, love the various running events, plus the rowing and cycling as the Brits often do well there.

Yes, the same for me too. I feel uncomfortable for Japan if they’ve had the games foisted on them when reports suggest the majority of the country don’t want the games there. And I feel for the athletes who either couldn’t attend or, as was the case for some British team members, have to isolate after exposure to positive cases on the flight there. It’s far from a normal games and it must be heart-breaking for athletes when their training over multiple years is all driven to peaking in exactly the right three week period.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From what I've read the IOC did it because they make tons of money from it in the US. Its the reason why it was pushed and is going on. Money. I have the Olympic channel but will not be watching.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
First and formost I too feel sorry for the people of Japan
I think the risk is too great, Japan's grandmas and grandads are more important than money from tv rights

I do also feel sorry for the mums and dads who can't go watch their kid at the pinnacle of their sporting career especially after all the scarcrafices those mums and dads made for those kids

We dont have sky sport or any other kind of pay sport channel in our house
if i did it would be for cricket (Gary hates all sport on tv equally)
So we get two hours every night on the state broadcaster of events NZ are competing in
I know we have 3 day eventers but i dont know about show jumpers but u tube will hooefully be my freind as
I enjoy very much the equestrian
This year Bruce Springsteen and his wife Patti Scailfa's daughter Jessica is in the US show jumping team, we have been following along on her career for years and its really excitting she made the team
Just like when it was Zara Tindell nee Philips its nice to have another name to cheer on regardless of nationality

We will probably see rowing and kyacking and yatching on tv

I was too tired to watch the opening ceremony, except for Jess my heart's not really in it this year

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I became disenchanted with the Olympics when they allowed professional paid athletes to compete but have watched sporadically over the years. I'm boycotting this year because I believe the games should have been cancelled due to covid.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We're currently watching the swimming, so exciting! Of course I was barracking hard for the Australian in the men's 400m final, but watching the 19 year old from Tunisia come out of nowhere to claim gold, was just phenomenal. Love watching dreams come true.

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
It’s amazing to see what the human body can do! I love watching all the different sports. The dedication it takes is incredible!

HGar

Shiny_Rock
The Tunisian young man was amazing and well deserved his gold - we’ve got the TV in our living room solely on the Olympics and we’ve just watched our team win the gold for the Women’s 4 x 100 Relay where our women broke the world record.

The whole family keeps popping in and out to see what’s happening on the broadcast.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Tunisian young man was amazing and well deserved his gold - we’ve got the TV in our living room solely on the Olympics and we’ve just watched our team win the gold for the Women’s 4 x 100 Relay where our women broke the world record.

The whole family keeps popping in and out to see what’s happening on the broadcast.

How good was that??? Emily McKeon smashed it!

rainbowstarry

Rough_Rock
Is there a way to see full events after they are shown live? Some of the events are on way too late for me and my family

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not watching. They should have been canceled. It's disgusting how money rules over all else including life and death and well being.

rainbowstarry

Rough_Rock
Is there a way to see full events after they are shown live? Some of the events are on way too late for me and my family

I found that you can watch some replays if you signup with Peacock.com - it can be accessed on Roku and tablets

seems like nbc sports app will get more replay access but we haven’t signed up with a tv provider so don’t have access to nbc sports channel

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I adore the Olympics. I have such fond childhood memories of watching the swimming as a family. Australia is historically strong and successful in the pool, so most of my fondest, spine-tingling memories of sport are of watching Aussies competing in the swimming. Dad and I really love the swimming and the athletics, particularly the men's relay sprints. I'm almost 40 but still pop over to mum and dad's house to watch the swimming with them, if DH isn't home! :bigsmile:

My absolute favourite even, however is the rhythmic gymnastics, and I enjoy watching the equestrian cross country too. I just love watching people live their dreams!

Oh me too! Watched the Canadians swim for a medal yesterday! Thrilling!!! :appl:

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh me too! Watched the Canadians swim for a medal yesterday! Thrilling!!! :appl:

That young Canadian relay team, what superstars!! Defs gold medalists of the future!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not watching. They should have been canceled. It's disgusting how money rules over all else including life and death and well being.

+1

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have only been watching the Gymnastics and Ladies Swimming. I was a little disillusioned when watching the women's gymnastics team qualifying when one of the girls who was trying to qualify for individual vault got a really low score, but my husband and I felt did much much better than Simone Biles but they gave Simone a much much higher score. My husband and I were in disbelief. I think sometimes they blow up one person too much and too much emphasis is given to that person when other are performing much better. Just my opinion, Simone did great on some things but not all but they are giving her the best scores.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Biles just pulled out of the team finals, didn't do the routine she was supposed to. This is why I don't like when they put all their eggs in one basket so to speak.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope not watching it....too politicized just like the NBA, NFL and MLB. :wall:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Biles just pulled out of the team finals, didn't do the routine she was supposed to. This is why I don't like when they put all their eggs in one basket so to speak.
Major kudos to this very public figure for putting mental health first, especially at the moment her legacy at stake and a with zillion eyes watching.
:clap::clap:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Thrills, chills, and spills!

cheers--Sharon

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kudos to Simone Biles. She represents the best of who we are.

She is an incredible athlete and a courageous individual. Her emotional and physical well-being comes first. She is truly a role model to behold. She represents the bravest among us. And she is wise beyond her years. I am in awe of her. You go girl.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I adore the Olympics. Some of my best memories from childhood are of the whole family watching them together. It was a rare event that we all did something together while getting along and enjoying each other's company, and I've had that feeling attached to them ever since. In more recent years, we twice had DH's parents, who are now both gone, visiting us from the Netherlands during them and we all watched them voraciously together while cuddling kitties and pups, so that's added to the lovely memories. I've also loved learning about these athletes' lives and training and how they approach what they do, as I feel I learn a lot and get a lot of inspiration in how I approach playing my musical instruments. Playing instruments is, in a very real sense, small-muscle athletics.

I've been watching, but I'll admit to feeling conflicted about it this time around. I agree with other folks here that they should have been postponed again due to COVID. It's not safe for the people of Japan, and it really is egregious that it was forced on them after they made it clear that the majority of them didn't want it.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Came here to say that. She is the g-d damn GOAT.
I read an article that made a good argument for refraining from using terms like GOAT bc of all the pressure that it imposes on the person whom it’s supposed to be applauding. I would think even Biles would agree.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results