Funny!

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Snort!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The skit was pretty well done and - yeah - funny, but I have to admit that the best I could do is manage a weak chuckle. Sorry to be a party pooper, but this morning I'm not terribly inclined to LOL at jokes that dismiss the concerns about what the election might have revealed about festering fear and hatred in our country.

I understand some Trump supporters (and indeed, others) getting a laugh out of the wailing and gnashing of teeth that followed the surprise election results. But what many probably fail to realize is that only part of the sorrow was about losing the election. A large part of it also had to do with the fact that the election results seemed to validate the fears and hatred that Trump invoked repeatedly during the campaign, and the fear that some would take his victory as license to perpetrate that hatred.

My church was picketed yesterday because it is a church that welcomes the LGBTQ community. This was the first time in 10 years that we've been picketed. The last time was triggered by a specific event, and there is no recent event, other than the election, that would have triggered fresh picketing at this time. So yeah, I have to assume that the picketers were emboldened by the election results.

There were only two people picketing, spewing vitriol against one and all. Singling out the gay couples for very specific shouting and vitriol, including one lesbian couple and their five adopted children - which includes four siblings that the couple had adopted as a group so they would not be split up.

Does that make me angry? Yes.

Does it make me fearful? Truthfully, a bit - these protesters were irrational so there is an element of uncertainty there. But I'm more fearful for the individuals who might also be targeted by people who hate them just for being who they are.

Does it make me sad? Absolutely. Not just about people protesting my church - I know we can withstand however many picketers decide to show up. But if the picketing continues, some will be deterred from seeking solace and comfort and company in my church - at a time when they might need it most.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1479765867|4101198 said:
The skit was pretty well done and - yeah - funny, but I have to admit that the best I could do is manage a weak chuckle. Sorry to be a party pooper, but this morning I'm not terribly inclined to LOL at jokes that dismiss the concerns about what the election might have revealed about festering fear and hatred in our country.

I understand some Trump supporters (and indeed, others) getting a laugh out of the wailing and gnashing of teeth that followed the surprise election results. But what many probably fail to realize is that only part of the sorrow was about losing the election. A large part of it also had to do with the fact that the election results seemed to validate the fears and hatred that Trump invoked repeatedly during the campaign, and the fear that some would take his victory as license to perpetrate that hatred.

My church was picketed yesterday because it is a church that welcomes the LGBTQ community. This was the first time in 10 years that we've been picketed. The last time was triggered by a specific event, and there is no recent event, other than the election, that would have triggered fresh picketing at this time. So yeah, I have to assume that the picketers were emboldened by the election results.

There were only two people picketing, spewing vitriol against one and all. Singling out the gay couples for very specific shouting and vitriol, including one lesbian couple and their five adopted children - which includes four siblings that the couple had adopted as a group so they would not be split up.

Does that make me angry? Yes.

Does it make me fearful? Truthfully, a bit - these protesters were irrational so there is an element of uncertainty there. But I'm more fearful for the individuals who might also be targeted by people who hate them just for being who they are.

Does it make me sad? Absolutely. Not just about people protesting my church - I know we can withstand however many picketers decide to show up. But if the picketing continues, some will be deterred from seeking solace and comfort and company in my church - at a time when they might need it most.

Thank you VR. That states what I feel so well. I'm not good at explaining it in a way that helps others understand.

I hope that whoever reads this post understands that it's not about arguing a point. It's about explaining where concerns and fears come from. Of course this is VR's experience, and no one else's, but it's about empathizing and understanding that it did happen and it is reasonable to have other concerns and/or fears as a result of what VR herself saw.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VR I am sorry you have hateful people doing things that hateful people do. Hopefully people will calm down on all sides given time and hopefully they realize the world is not going to spontaneously combust because America elected a president in a valid and legal election.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results