shape
carat
color
clarity

Thanksgiving Yums 2006!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think we had a thread like this last year....I feel inspired. I just went and did 95% of my food shopping for this week including Thanksgiving stuffs...thank goodness the market was not that crowded which I was happy about. I still have a list of about 10 things to get but they are more 'day before' so that they don't rot in the fridge (aka salad etc) over the next few days.

So what is on everyone's menu this year?!?!? Last year we made our first personal turkey for Greg and I, and we are doing it again this year, an 8lb Diestel organic from Whole Foods 'broad breast'...hehee. I'm brining it again this year, with a more flavorful recipe hopefully. I'm making an apple, sausage, cranberry and walnut stuffing and mashed potatoes and we're having white shoepeg corn and rolls on Wednesday night for just us two. Our pre-thanksgiving dinner. Oh and punkie pie of course, my fave!!

Then on Thanksgiving we are going to a family members for the big gathering where there will be a ton of food, including Turkey, Prime Rib, a bunch of appetizers (including my artichoke dip which I am sooo tired of making but the gang still wants it), Mom's famous stuffing, cranberry orange relish, potato salad, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes (we love potatoes!!) a few veggie dishes I am thankfully not responsible for, a fresh green salad that I *am* responsible for, various bread rolls/croissant items, Grandma's famous rice, and then a fresh blueberry pie from this awesome bakery, and a pumpkin pie and a CAKE that my Mom is bringing. Definitely wearing my Juicy pants on Thurs...hehee!!

We typically take home some leftovers from the big family shindig and then proceed to eat ourselves silly til we return to work on Monday (and maybe even then). My fave thing is stuffing and mashed potatoes mixed together with a little turkey. YUM.

So what's on everyone's menus?! Are you guys staying home and cooking for the whole family, or going out or going to another family member's house or what? I want to hear about some FOOD.

Coincidentally I am *starving* right now, so it is any wonder I threw a bunch of 'shouldn't haves' into my cart too, like dried pineapple, a candy cane for Greg, Pilsbury pie crust (I might get creative and actually make the pumpkin pie this year but I'm not brave enough to do the crust) and a slice of 'gingerbread cake' for dessert tonite, that looks SO divine I might just eat it right here right now. Guess I better make dinner!!
3.gif

Happy Pre Thanksgiving!!!

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
We''re having my mother over. I haven''t bought a thing yet! Will probably shop Tuesday and cook ahead some things on Wednesday...

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am having it catered since my mother in law is coming and makes me crazy...

I am having a lot of people staying in my house and felt I could not fit all the groceries in my fridges plus have all the stuff for company.
I will be having appetizer set out as of noon on Thursday, this will serve as lunch for people to nibble during the day.

Shrimp cocktail, cheeses, hot artichoke/cheese dip, crab dip, salmon terrine, crudite with spinach leek dip, hummus, spiced nuts and dried fruits.

dinner will be

cream of mushroom soup with chive cream
roasted beet salad with bitter greens, gorgonzola cheese, toasted walnuts
brioche stuffing with herbs (not sweet)
cornbread stuffing with dried cranberries and chestnuts (more sweet)
haricot verts with cippoline onions and mushrooms
potato gratin
candied sweet with candied pecans, grand marnier, brown sugar and marshmallows
sour dough, olive, multigrain and french rolls

chocolate bundt with cinnamon glaze
apple pie with crumb topping
pumpkin custard pie
espresso cheesecake with hazelnut crust
mixed berries with fresh whipped cream

I am happy to have the help since my mother in law is super nit picky and this way I do not have to worry about it, she either likes it or not and it is not my cooking that she can criticize...and I can relax and enjoy myself in my house...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yum DF can i come over after we eat over here in N. CA? hehee. or maybe i guess it''d be before, time zone wise. that menu sounds delish!! i love how you have like 5 dessert things, that''s so like our family, haha.

catering is smart with the MIL around and also you have a very nice variety of items going on there, so she''s bound to like SOMETHING.

julia, what are you going to make?!

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2006 8:50:40 PM
Author: diamondfan

I am having a lot of people staying in my house and felt I could not fit all the groceries in my fridges plus have all the stuff for company.
I will be having appetizer set out as of noon on Thursday, this will serve as lunch for people to nibble during the day.

Shrimp cocktail, cheeses, hot artichoke/cheese dip, crab dip, salmon terrine, crudite with spinach leek dip, hummus, spiced nuts and dried fruits.

dinner will be

potato gratin

pumpkin custard pie

I am happy to have the help since my mother in law is super nit picky and this way I do not have to worry about it, she either likes it or not and it is not my cooking that she can criticize...and I can relax and enjoy myself in my house...
Yum, yum, and yummy!!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanksgiving morning we head to The four Season's where our friends have a suite, so we can all enjoy the parade. It's all of our close friends so it's a blast. The teenagers are looking forward to it as the family stopped doing it for a few years. Then it's home to cook. I'm making the following. It's just the 4 of us.

12 pound Turkey
Mashed potatoes
Stuffing
Mac and cheese ( getting that from a yummy deli )
Sauteed baby spinach with garlic
Fresh cranberry sauce
Homemade gravy
Apple pie with crumb topping ( Made by a local bakery)

This is my first thanksgiving without Nanny, but knowing her she'll be at our table in spirit enjoying the dark meat, LOL!!!
18.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara, I forgot to add the TURKEY! And the caterer will make cranberry orange relish too.

I am having it delivered Wed and it is from the Amish/Lancaster county, organic free range. I have a 22 plus pounder, seasoned, and a white meat breast, also seasoned.

My hubby's cousin is baking two loaves of my favorite lemon blueberry bread which I will save for morning...

Yes, I realized if I cook in front of her she will complain about the seasonings or criticize my procedures...I am a good cook but cannot deal, she is not the only one eating but acts like it if she does not like certain things, so this way it is out of my hands!

Come on by, we will have lots of food!

Your stuff sounds great too, I love the artichoke dip (since I am serving it you could tell I am sure) and all that stuff sounds good. Since I have company coming tomorrow and Wed night I might order pizzas or take everyone out for Chinese food or something on Wed night...

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope it will not be sad without her, I am sure you will have an amazing time, Kaleigh!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/19/2006 8:50:40 PM
Author: diamondfan

dinner will be

potato gratin

pumpkin custard pie

OMG - save a place for ME DF!!!!!!!
3.gif
3.gif
3.gif

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Ok, that''s it, I''m coming to all of your houses! You put me to shame! Since we moved about 6 weeks ago, I JUST got the last of the boxes unpacked this weekend and found my stash of special recipies. I''ve yet to sit and go through them, as going through the boxes was kind of emotional as it was. (Children''s artwork, old letters, pictures....) I WILL sit and do it tonight though. Then, I''ll have something possibly worthwhile to report!

njc

Brilliant_Rock
We are headed to my fam''s and its going to be an interesting one! My mom usually cooks, but her kitchen is in the middle of being remodeled AND she just had surgery on her knee. SO, me and one of my brothers are taking charge! We are getting a turkey and a ham from a local store and then we split up the rest of the sides… mashed potatoes, dressing, green beans, sweet potatoes, corn pudding, cranberry relish, corn bread and rolls. SIL isnt a big cook, so she also ordered an apple pie and I believe pecan pie from a group at her school and she will also make a dump cake. I will be making a pumpkin pie TOTALLY from scratch… cooked my pumpkin up last night, tonight I will make the crust and Tuesday I will put it all together… I hope it turns out well!!!

AsscherGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Yumm - everyone''s meals sound so delicious!

My fiance & I are hosting Thanksgiving at our house this year. We usually have it at my parents house, but they recently moved & are in the middle of renovating. Also - they moved far away and my family was very happy to hear about the change in locale. My fiance''s family usually went out to a restaurant for their Thanksgiving feast, but since we are hosting - they are coming too! It''s pretty exciting, but nerve wracking a bit!

My mom will still do the majority of the cooking, but my fiance & I have put ourselves in charge of preparing the turkey. We are going to brine it starting tomorrow. We''ve never brined our tukey before, but we are following Alton Brown''s recipe & he''s never steered us wrong yet
2.gif

I am also introducing a soup course for the first time ever in the history of Thanksgivings. I''ll be making a butternut squash soup with a Cilantro pesto.

For the main course, we''ll be having:

Turkey (of course)
Stuffing
Mashed Potatoes
Corn
Broccoli Cheese casserole
Cranberry Sauce
Green Bean Casserole (my favorite!)
Sweet Potatoes

For dessert, we have a lot of things! My uncle drives out to Brooklyn and gets pastries from his favorite bakery. My grandma brings her famed pumpkin cheese cake & rice pudding and my dad said he was going to bring an apple pie & some pumpkin ice cream. Usually my mom also makes some brownies & rice Krispie treats for the kids.

I''ve been trying to think of some appetizers to put out so people can munch while they are waiting for dinner. I''ll have to evaluate my fridge/freezer/counter top space before I add anything else.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always go to my next door neighbors'' house for Thanksgiving. This year they''re having it catered and I don''t know what goodies they''ll have as side dishes. I''m bringing a tin of Godiva biscuits even though they yell at me for bringing anything.

Molly1024

Shiny_Rock
We can''t make it back to our parents'' hometown for Thanksgiving, so our good friends invited us to her parents'' house in Georgia. Not sure of the menu, but I''m sure it will definitely be a southern Thanksgiving- I know we are having fried turkey lol. I''m bringing sweet potato pie and buckeyes (chocolate covered peanut butter balls, looks like a buckeye nut).

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread is making me so hungry...
face19.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
mmmm food. today i spent some time looking up lower-calorie pumpkin pie recipes and also how to possibly make my fave stuffing a little less artery clogging this year. we shall see!!!
5.gif

oh and last nite i tested 3 mashed potato recipes on my guinea pig Greg. wasabi mashed potatoes, blue cheese mashed potatoes, and parmesan and garlic mashed. all three were a hit, though i need to add more parm to the last one. i think for the fam i am going to make the blue cheese ones and add rosemary and then for us we''ll have the wasabi (they were the best out of all three!!).

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2006 7:55:30 PM
Author: Mara
mmmm food. today i spent some time looking up lower-calorie pumpkin pie recipes and also how to possibly make my fave stuffing a little less artery clogging this year. we shall see!!!
5.gif

oh and last nite i tested 3 mashed potato recipes on my guinea pig Greg. wasabi mashed potatoes, blue cheese mashed potatoes, and parmesan and garlic mashed. all three were a hit, though i need to add more parm to the last one. i think for the fam i am going to make the blue cheese ones and add rosemary and then for us we''ll have the wasabi (they were the best out of all three!!).
oooh, wasabi sounds delish! (but really they all do)

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
We''re headed to my *new* inlaws home in PA for TG this year, so I''m not sure what''s on the menu. Now that I''m family, I felt more comfortable making suggestions ''cause I was kinda disappointed with some of the sides served last year (mashed turnips? eek). Cross your fingers that they include more veggies in the mix!

Anyway, we had some friends over last Sat for a pre-TG dinner party, and one of our guests made the most delish cranberry sauce. Just thought I''d share...

Cranberry Sauce
(Emeril Lagasse)
2 cups cranberries
Juice and chopped zest of 1 orange1/4 cup Port
1/2 cup sugar, or more if needed
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon cornstarch

In a small saucepan combine cranberries, orange juice and zest, port, sugar and cinnamon. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmering and cook until cranberries are tender, stirring occasionally. In a small cup make a slurry with cornstarch and 1 tablespoon water. Whisk cornstarch mixture into cranberry sauce and cook, whisking, until sauce thickens. Taste and add more sugar, if necessary.

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
danielle, alton brown''s brine works wonderfully!

i use it every year on my turkey. my turkey recipe is a mixture of two recipes. i use a fennel spice rub on the bird, stuff the insides with lemon, sage, rosemary and onion. roast the bird on high heat the whole time 475 degrees. cover the breast part with foil after 1.5 hrs and continue roasting. the foil keeps the breasts extremely moist.

i also do a slow roasted pork shoulder that falls apart when you try to slice it. delish! i roast it for 8 hrs at 275 degrees. i use the same fennel spice rub on the outside. i usually make a slit in the middle of the meat and stuff it with sauteed onions and sage.

i''ve never made stuffing since i don''t really like it, but maybe i''ll try your recipe this year mara! it sounds pretty good.

danielle, i''m also thinking about making soup for the first time ever. also thinking about butternut squash soup, probably cooked with celery, carrots, onions and spices and then pureed to a smooth consistency. i''m not sure yet. i''ll have to decide tomorrow since i''ll be finishing my grocery shopping.

my thxgiving menu:

cheese log (diced jalepenos, olives, and pepperchinis wrapped in a layer of cream cheese and another layer of velvetta) goes great with crackers for people to munch on while dinner is prepped

dinner:
fennel roasted turkey
slow roasted pork shoulder
garlic mashed potatos
butter-peppered corn
mashed sweet potatos with marshmallow topping (yum, my fave!
18.gif
)
fuji apple and gorganzola mixed green salad with homemade citrus vinagrette
butternut squash soup (maybe)
mara''s apple, cranberry stuffing (maybe)
sauteed green beans topped with roasted red onions
turkey gravy made with the pan drippings
fresh orange-cranberry sauce
crescent dinner rolls

dessert:
pumpkin pie! gotta have it, not thxgiving unless you have pumpkin pie!
18.gif

mango cheescake
(both my desserts come from costco, i''m not much of a baker at all)
5.gif

coffee for adults and hot chocolate with marshmallows for the kids
1.gif

this dinner usually takes me two days to prepare since i do the whole thing alone. no one else in my fam knows how...but i don''t mind. i love seeing their faces when they gobble up the food.

thanksgiving is totally my fave holiday!!!
9.gif

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/19/2006 8:11:08 PM
Author:Mara
(I might get creative and actually make the pumpkin pie this year but I'm not brave enough to do the crust)
Here's everybody's favorite solution to that around here--I haven't made a "real" pumpkin pie since we discovered this recipe:

Upside-Down Pumpkin Pie

3/4 c. brown sugar
3/4c. white sugar
1 t. salt
1 T. cinnamon
2 t. ginger
1 t. allspice
4 eggs
29 oz. can pumpkin
2-12 oz. cans evaporated milk
18.25 oz. spice cake mix
1/2 c. butter

Mix sugars, salt and spices. Beat eggs lightly and add. Stir in pumpkin and milk, pour into greased 9" x13" cake pan. In a separate bowl, cut butter into cake mix. Sprinkle over pumpkin mixture. Heat oven to 425 and place pan verrryy carefully in the oven. Bake 15 minutes, reduce heat to 350 and bake about 50 minutes more until set in the middle (test with a knife).

The cake mix thing sounds weird, and it's the only thing I ever buy mixes for (I'm a baked goods snob
5.gif
), but it's so good! Pumpkin pie filling with a streusel-y topping and no soggy crust. Mmmmmmmm . . . don't forget the whipped cream.

Oh, and be sure to make it the day before so it has plenty of time to chill in the fridge--it's bigger and thicker than a standard pie and there's nothing ickier than having it warm and gooshy in the middle.
14.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
God I am getting so hungry all the stuff sounds amazing.

I just added traditional bread pudding with raisins and a whiskey creme anglaise. I LOVE bread pudding so much. It is one of my favorites in this world. I am so not eating and working out extra hard til Thursday because it will be pig out time here!

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
I hope you don''t mind me sharing my Turkey Day menu...

It''s just our immediate family, but for most folks that''s huge. All 9 of my kids will be here and my daughter''s friend who I have sort of adopted as another daughter. Possibly my daughter''s boyfriend will be here.

Turkey, 24lb., buttered skin with paper thin orange slices just under the skin. I also put a rub of poultry seasoning, salt and a little pepper on the skin. The bird will be brushed with a maple bourbon glaze that makes a fabulous mahogany color present itself on the bird and is lucious in flavor.

Turkey gravy from the defatted drippings
Cranberry sauce, whole berry and jellied for the kids
Roasted garlic mashed potatoes
Stuffing--made with cornbread, waterchestnuts, mandarin oranges, apples, slivered almonds, sweet Italian sausage, egg and chicken stock. Oh, of course a whole medium sweet onion and celery is in the mix. It just smells like Thanksgiving when I get started on the stuffing!
Candied yams with marshmallows for those who love those and the Twice Baked Yams for everyone else with the Buttercrunch Topping.
Broccoli Cheese Casserole
Italian Fruit Pasta Salad
Dinner Rolls
White Sangria
Soda and Sparkling Apple Cider for those who do not want liquor or are too young

Pumpkin pies, 2, homemade
Banana Cream Pies, 2, homemade
Chocolate Pudding Cake made in my crockpot for my oldest daughter cuz her birthday falls on Turkey Day this year
Either a Pear Tart or a fruit crisp or cobbler

This is a rough draft of what I know for sure of, but I may add a couple other items to complement the meal if I decide to do so. Since we are not entertaining any guests really, everything is going to be rather low key. In fact, I haven''t really felt like doing much seasonal decorating yet. I know we plan to heat the pool to indulge in after eating or before hand.

On Wednesday, I have plenty to do to make sure Thanksgiving is smooth sailing and we eat by 2 or 3pm or so, so I am making plenty of the sangria to keep me happy and mellow to enjoy the prep!

I hope all of you have a lovely Thanksgiving!
emsmile.gif
35.gif
36.gif

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I read through this thread before I left the office yesterday and I fully admit to thinking about food and missing my exit!!! I had to drive 3 miles out of my way because I was thinking about pie.
38.gif

We''re going to my FMIL''s house on Thursday. She does it "all wrong" (to me) in that dinner is at 6 (it should be at 3!!!).

Her menu:
Turkey
stuffing
mashed potatoes
pralined sweet potatoes (WAY too sweet)
stuffed mushrooms
broccoli cheese casserole
cranberry jello with cream cheese
pumpkin cheesecake

(no, not many veggies...)

Then on Saturday FI and I will have our own:

Turkey
green bean casserole
broccoli cornbread casserole
caeser salad
whole cranberry sauce
spiced pickled peaches
pumpkin pie
pecan pie

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
OMG - everyone''s menus sound so yummy! I''m very impressed with all the cooking prowess.

Since we''re having a pretty non-traditional year in terms of size (just me, mom and DH), we decided to do a bit non-traditional otherwise, in that we''re going vegetarian (I''m a veg, and neither DH nor mom is a huge Turkey fan), and HEALTHY
6.gif
32.gif
32.gif
(well, except for dessert and the sweet potatoes...). Here''s our menu:

Butter lettuce, persimmon, feta and hazelnut salad
Roasted acorn squash stuffed with cornbread stuffing
Mashed sweet potatoes with brown sugar and pecans
Brussels sprouts with browned garlic (I know its strange but I LOVE them!)
Kale with lemon-balsamic butter
Pumpkin pie + fresh whipped cream

We''ll have cheese and nuts to snack on before the meal for protein and to keep us from getting too hungry...

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Fi and I are on our own for Thanksgiving this year, but I'm making a full if simple Turkey dinner anyway!

4-6lb Turkey Breast (picking it up fresh tomorrow from WF's)

Whole Cranberry sauce ( made it Saturday. so easy. Cranberries + cinnamon stick + orangeblossom honey, cook until it froths up, cool + little vanilla, stick in fridge) -my family

Mashed Potatoes - we use baby yukons. He's in charge of that. -his family

Roasted yams cooked on lower temp so it carmalizes -my family

Frozen peas and onions with buttery sauce. (*sigh*) -his family

Pumpkin Pie. (Making a revised version of the Libby's recipe with orangeblossom honey for sweetner and a heavier hand on the spices) -my family

w/ Homemade pie crust (Pie crust is really really simple. You just have to remember to keep it as cool/cold as possible when working with it and to handle it as little as possible! Roll from center out not back and forth) -me

Pan gravy. (crossing fingers on that one. I may see if TJ's has a back-up gravy) -his family

And Stuffing.... I'm stuck on this one guys. My family does a version of an Italian pigeon stuffing that is obscenely rich and rather spicy. His family makes Pepperidge farms. -??
I'm thinking of starting with pepperidge farms, celery, onion, and then getting creative. Maybe chesnuts and brandy? ARGH!
HELP NEED STUFFING HELP

ETA: I'm also going to make Turkey stock tomorrow for the Gravy and stuffing. I also need it for the Turkey Pot Pie that my fmil apparently makes every year with the leftovers.

I gotta say, mixing thanksgiving menus is challenging. People get so attached to their families tradtions that it doesn't seem like Thanksgiving without certain dishes. I really want to impress my fi and to make it feel like home.

It's also challenging because this is the first Thanksgiving where I've done all the cooking. Usually I'm just the assistant and have one or two side dishes to make. This is going to be fun!
32.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i love thanksgiving cooking!! it's fun to do it and create your own new traditions when you get married too.

indie, check out the stuffing thread here in hangout, there are a bunch of recipes in there and also in amber's veggie stuffing thread there are some ideas too. for me i love stuffing with sage, apple, sausage and the bread mix along with lots of onion, celery, stock and a bit of butter. but this year i am adding cranberries. and i like the idea of mushrooms, hmmm!!!

oh and chargergrrl...i am going to try that emeril cranberry sauce, it looks yum!

oh and another random thought. i did a sparkpeople quiz on what's healthiest to eat for thanksgiving...and does anyone know what 'turkey back' is??? it's apparently leaner and less calories than turkey breast even! and who knew that the cream of mushroom green bean casserole is healthier and less calories than eating cranberry sauce?!!? and pumpkin pie is the healthiest dessert option at about 200-250 calories per piece vs 410 for apple and 470 for pecan.
2.gif

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
6 adults and 3 children.

9 lb turkey, chicken-apple sausage and apple stuffing, and gravy will be brought in by a caterer who I've used in the past for parties. I've tried and failed miserably in years past to make the turkey myself and have just plain ole given up. I've accepted how much I suck at cooking turkey!

I'm making these side dishes:
Roasted garlic mashed potatoes
Bok choy in ginger-soy sauce (we wanted a light, leafy green dish to offset all the carbs)
Traditional pumpkin pie

My friend is bringing:
Mashed sweet potatoes
Cranberry gelatin salad
Apple crisp

I'm also making two 9x13 pans of green bean casserole for my son's preschool Thanksgiving luncheon.
1.gif

Oh, and this year I'm thinking ahead and prepping post-Tgiving turkey recipes. I'm all set to make turkey soup and turkey tetrazzini in the days after this Thursday.
1.gif

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I used to have a recipe for sugar-free, crustless pumpkin pie. It used splenda and egg substitute. So healthy you could have it for breakfast, which I sometimes did. Wish I could remember what it was. It was about 50-80 calories a slice, and pretty filling thanks to the protein in the egg substitute.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I found one like that on Google sumbride. A crustless pumpkin with some sugar, some splenda was like 70 cals. You could probably google it. There are a ton of recipes online. But I just LOVE me some crust. hahha.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Ok, I think I have it down now. Um, first a turkey basted with maple syrup, cornbread stuffing, gr bean casserole, creamed corn casserole, green peas, sweet potato casserole, sweet gerkins, candied wild rice, honey baked ham, Danish meatballs, coconut macaroons, and pumpkin pie. Oh and sweet iced tea. Your typical sweeeeeeeet southern foods.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results