shape
carat
color
clarity

Texas

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I apologize in advance if this breaks any forum rules. That is not my intent. I hope this thread can stay. It is such an important topic. For centuries women have been repressed and held back and treated as second class citizens. We cannot allow this to continue to happen.

I am spitting mad. How dare they. People cry about vaccines (that save lives) but those same people (not everyone just some of the same people) want to take away our (women's) rights.

The irony isn't lost on me. The very same people crying about "their body their rights" who are anti vaccine and anti mask are the very same ones taking away a woman's right to choose. It would be richly hysterical if it wasn't so devastatingly tragic.

These same people have no problem with discrimination on the basis of race or sex; many of them have argued that there is no need for an Equal Rights Amendment. Yet they want to protect their constituents from a safe, effective, free vaccine that could save their lives from a highly preventable disease. And protect them from wearing masks. But let's take away a woman's right to decide to have a baby or not.

The same group that wants to make it impossible for you to end your pregnancy is furiously insistent that showing proof of vaccination should be illegal.

Not only that they are limiting birth control options. How is this happening in the USA in 2021? How?

This law prevents at least 85% of the procedures previously accomplished. The law robs people of their ability to make decisions about their health and their future.

All I can say is I am not too surprised given how Texas is doing regarding Covid. The people in charge there have little sense. IMO. TO my dear friends in Texas I have no words. I am so sorry and I would love to tell you to leave that repressive state but I know you cannot. I hope somehow this cannot go through. I hope the Supreme Court comes to their senses.

60s.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And two more. So true.
:(

pro.jpg

prolife.jpg

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I live here (part-time) and I am furious, sad, depressed, and tons of other things. It’s disgusting. Especially the part that you can “turn someone in” who is attempting to make a choice about their own body.

4E9B8FFC-1113-4032-9B6C-7FE75232409D.jpeg

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just read the decision. The stay was denied on procedural grounds. I guess there is some glimmer of hope that the constitutionality of the law will be reviewed in the future should it be brought in a way the court deems proper. From the majority opinion (Amy Coney Barrett)

Screenshot 2021-09-02 081713.jpg

From the dissent (Chief Justice Roberts)

Screenshot 2021-09-02 082008.jpg

of course this does nothing for a woman's right to choose in the interim while waiting for a "proper" challenge to this law (and/or the decision in the Mississippi case). Nor is there any reason to think that the current majority of the court would overturn this law.

I'm so saddened and angry to see so many of the things women have fought for over the last 50 years diminished.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I guess they better start handing out cond*ms on the street corner.
If they don't want women to have safe abortions, then they better do something about it.

Last edited:

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a Texan. Born, raised, and proud, like most Texans.

With that said, we have joined the ranks of 3rd world countries. On the same day they made choice for women all but impossible, they also made it legal to open carry with no license or permit. It's sad, ridiculous, embarrassing, and SCARY. The thought here is big tough men proudly "protect" us while keeping women in their place. I am beyond livid!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

With that said, we have joined the ranks of 3rd world countries. On the same day they made choice for women all but impossible, they also made it legal to open carry with no license or permit. It's sad, ridiculous, embarrassing, and SCARY. The thought here is big tough men proudly "protect" us while keeping women in their place. I am beyond livid!

We are all in this together @Gussie and I promise you we will not give up. We will prevail against these (imo) ignorant and malicious individuals. We are strong in numbers. We will not allow this to happen.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a particularly despicable law in that it allows members of the public to hunt down and report those who are in any way aiding those who want the procedure -- eerily similar to communist tactics.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cruelty of this law is so incredibly vile.

Edit to add: I live in TX and plan to move in the next few years, a big reason is the govts focus on turning this state into gilead instead of actually governing and making sure basic things like the utility system work

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock

I’m not from the US so perhaps I shouldn’t comment but honestly this just horrified me, utterly horrified me.

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The irony isn't lost on me. The very same people crying about "their body their rights" who are anti vaccine and anti mask are the very same ones taking away a woman's right to choose. It would be richly hysterical if it wasn't so devastatingly tragic.
The hypocrisy of this, and the blatant ignorance of how ridiculous that is, somehow makes this so much worse. How is it logical to even say that out loud when in the same breath they oppose the same rights for women?

How are we moving backwards? How is this happening in the US of all places? My brain cannot handle it.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cruelty of this law is so incredibly vile.

Edit to add: I live in TX and plan to move in the next few years, a big reason is the govts focus on turning this state into gilead instead of actually governing and making sure basic things like the utility system work

Currently live in TX and also planning to move within 2 yrs. There has been talk for years of TX turning “purple” and I had hope it would become a better place to live, but I have lost hope and can’t take it anymore.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I live next door to Texas, in a very blue state.
I cannot imagine our governor allowing a law like this to pass here.

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
I've been contemplating the theoretical scenario of a democratic state taking this same approach to infringe on the rights of gun owners. What's to stop a state from creating legislation that restricts the ability for someone to own an AR-15 and to be "turned in" by a private citizen who can be awarded money if the individual is found to have violated the law. I would love to see what the Supreme Court does in that scenario. If they were truly non-partisan jurists wouldn't they have to rule the same way they did on this Texas law?

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Its just insanity that has gripped some states and people. It is not hate that the majority on here feel toward those we disagree with. I really believe these are stupid and ignorant people. Why is this so insulting when it is true. Who could be so dumb, as talking about freedom to choose to get a virus in their body, but a personal decision such as a pregnancy must be eliminated. How OFF can you be?

Missy, you said it so well. I want so badly to say something about the mortality rate now in Red states, but in deference to your disapproval and disbarment from this forum, I will resist.

WE are in real trouble in this great land of ours.

With Heartbreak,

Annette

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What happened to separation of Church and State?

Also yes! We were taught freedom of religion was one of the bedrock principles of America when I was a kid. What happened?

You look at photos or Iran in the 70s vs now and think how did that happen, it couldn’t happen here but it is….

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's like stepping back in time to the 1950's. I am horrified & disgusted.

We have seen much here in the UK about US protests to masks, to gun laws, to vaccines etc, all being an invasion of personal rights & freedoms. And yet here we are. Little Annie X could be violently & brutally raped by her own father at the age of 11 & then HAVE TO CARRY & NURTURE HIS BABY. Yuk. No thank you.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I awoke this morning depressed about this country yet again. Like previous commenters, I'm disgusted, horrified, and so so sad. I don't know what to do about it, but I feel the need to do something. Sure, I'll call my elected officials about codifying Roe and ending the filibuster. It's not enough though....

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And who didn’t see this coming with the conservative Supreme Justices stacked. This is appalling. As in the other thread that discusses the fate of the women in Afghanistan, look what’s happening right here under our noses. How many other states will follow, reversing the rights of American women to choose what happens to our own bodies reproductively? Government needs to get the he!! out of our bodies in the name of religion, politics, etc!! I’m outraged!

oceanblue

Shiny_Rock
How’s it going in Texas? Anyone need to talk?

When I read this post I actually LOL'd. We recently moved to Texas and I always need to talk about something,
could it be the full isle of Texas pride gear at every super market?
the ditches that are referred to as bayou's?
the heat? the lack of seasons?
the fact the school nurses where I work have insider Texas medical knowledge and won't get the COVID vaccine?
the letter the school board sent out yesterday saying don't worry about the new law the Texas Legislature passed House Bill (HB) 1927, which allows anyone 21 years or older, who is not otherwise prohibited by state or federal law from possessing a gun, to openly carry a handgun in public without a license?

as I read through the posts I became sad, hopefully it is temporary.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I read this post I actually LOL'd. We recently moved to Texas and I always need to talk about something,
could it be the full isle of Texas pride gear at every super market?
the ditches that are referred to as bayou's?
the heat? the lack of seasons?
the fact the school nurses where I work have insider Texas medical knowledge and won't get the COVID vaccine?
the letter the school board sent out yesterday saying don't worry about the new law the Texas Legislature passed House Bill (HB) 1927, which allows anyone 21 years or older, who is not otherwise prohibited by state or federal law from possessing a gun, to openly carry a handgun in public without a license?

as I read through the posts I became sad, hopefully it is temporary.

I got an email from our school superintendent yesterday as well. I cannot believe an email had to be sent informing us that it is still prohibited to bring a firearm to school!!!! I am so crazy mad about both the gun law and the abortion law. I am disgusted with Texas right now.

Texas is so gerrymandered that it really does no good to call and voice opinions. We are ruled by minority here. As I have said before, "No old white man in Austin should be telling a young black girl in rural east Texas what to do with her body!"

I'm so mad I could spit on them.

ETA boycotting sex might work!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results