shape
carat
color
clarity

Terror attacks in Brussels this morning :((

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/belgium/12200780/Brussels-explosions-many-dead-in-attacks-on-Zaventem-airport-and-Metro-live-updates.html

Brussels airport explosions: Two blasts on Tuesday morning
• Third explosion hits Metro system close to EU buildings an hour later
• At least 21 confirmed dead and 35 injured in coordinated attacks
• Blasts at Zaventem airport reportedly part of suicide attack
• Belgian capital city on lockdown and border with France closed
• UK officials in city told to avoid crowded places and public transport
• Britain steps up security at UK airports in wake of multiple attacks
• Attacks come after arrest of Paris atrocity suspect Salah Abdeslam

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/22/europe/brussels-explosions/

Brussels, Belgium (CNN)Three explosions that ripped through Belgium on Tuesday killed at least 23 people, according to Belgian media, and raised the specter of terror once again in the heart of Europe.

Ten died in a blast at a subway station, according to two Belgian broadcasters. The other 13 were killed, in addition to 35 injured, in two blasts at Brussels' airport, reported public broadcaster VRT.

The Belgian Office of the King's Prosecutor described the airport blast, at least, as a suicide attack, according to state broadcaster RTBF.

At least one explosion there happened outside the security checkpoints for ticketed passengers and near the airline check-in counters, an airline official briefed on the situation said.

The subway station blast happened in the Brussels suburb of Maalbeek, near the European quarter, where much of the European Union is based, according to CNN affiliate RTL. All metro stations in the city have been closed, according to the official Twitter account for the city's transportation agency.

In addition to that precaution, authorities have raised the terror threat level in Belgium to four -- its highest. That step-up means army soldiers can be sent onto the streets to meet security needs.

It's unclear what caused all the blasts, or if they're related to terrorism.

The airport
Anthony Barrett said he heard something about 8 a.m. local time from his hotel across from the terminal building.

"When I opened the curtains and looked out, I could see people fleeing," he told CNN.

He said he's seen about 19 or 20 stretchers carrying people so far. Luggage trollies were also being used to transport the wounded.

"It's clearly a very serious incident," he said.

Federal police at the airport at Zaventem told CNN that "there has been an explosion" and "something has happened."

Witnesses told RTL that at least one of the two explosions took place in the airport's departure hall.

Dozens of people have been taken out of the airport on stretchers, according to eyewitnesses.

Explosions in Brussels
11 photos: Explosions in Brussels

The Brussels airport tweeted that there have been two blasts and said that "the building" is being evacuated. They also said all airport operations have been suspended and asked those nearby to remain calm.

The airport is being evacuated and a disaster plan has been initiated, RTL reported. Passengers have been directed to the airport runways.

One of them, Jeffrey Edison, had cleared security and was out by the gate, several hundred yards from the departure lounge, where the explosions occurred. He told CNN he didn't hear the blasts but "suddenly saw" 200 to 300 people rushing toward him from the security checkpoint.

He says it took authorities around 25 minutes to tell the passengers what had happened, before evacuating the area and leading the passengers to the runways.

The Belgian crisis center tweeted that all public transportation in the city has been closed.

"Stay where you are," it said.

Kristalina Georgieva, the vice president of the European Commission, said that all the organization's institutions are at "alert level orange" and that all meetings on its premises and outside have been canceled.

She advised people to stay at home or indoors.

"I am shocked and concerned by the events in Brussels," British Prime Minister David Cameron tweeted. "We will do everything we can to help."

Eurostar said its trains are not running to or from Brussels' Midi station.

The incident comes after Salah Abdeslam, a man who authorities say was involved in the Paris terror attacks last year, was arrested in the Brussels suburb of Molenbeek on Friday.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just dreadful and seems very close to home for those of us in the UK.

Thoughts are with the families of these poor, innocent victims.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So awful. Snowdrop, my thoughts too are with the families. :cry:

One wonders how can we possibly defend against people who are willing to sacrifice their lives in order to cause terror, mass destruction and mass murders all over the world. All in the name of what?

We are at war with terrorism and have been for a very long time and I wonder how can it ever be over and how can we ever really be safe from it.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sad. :( My heart breaks for the families who lost loved ones.

This stuff just keeps happening. We are living in a very different world than our ancestors. For me, personally, I don't feel safe.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:nono:

I'll bet Trump is grinning this morning.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Terrible :nono:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This world is a dangerous place. Terrorism is hard to comprehend. I fear we live with an illusion of safety here, as the San Bernadino incident reminds us. Obviously our foremost concern is with those who were injured or killed in this incident. Also, I feel for those who live in these cities and who have to live daily with the fear of what might happen next. Our country needs to do a very thorough job of screening those who desire to come here, is all I can say. I was already hesitant about travel in Europe but this is about to make me think that it is no longer wise to go there. My daughter spent a couple of days in Brussels (and flew into and out of that airport) on her way to Africa a year and a half ago, and at that time, the Ebola virus was our primary concern. But now, it seems like travel involves a lot more risk.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1458656109|4009361 said:

Trump is delighted.

I don't like Trump at all, but that is a disgusting comment, Kenny.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1458656199|4009365 said:

Trump is delighted.

I agree.

He wants to win the most important job in the world.
This will help.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been reading some coverage of the attacks in French. The photos of the interior of the airport and the interior of the subway car show how great the damage was. There are some touching things that come out in the course of just reading facts. For instance, at one point, there was a call for citizens to bring food and water to the shelters for the wounded in Brussels.

insideofmetrocar.jpg

interiorofairport.jpg

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1458651243|4009314 said:
So awful. Snowdrop, my thoughts too are with the families. :cry:

One wonders how can we possibly defend against people who are willing to sacrifice their lives in order to cause terror, mass destruction and mass murders all over the world. All in the name of what?

We are at war with terrorism and have been for a very long time and I wonder how can it ever be over and how can we ever really be safe from it.

I know, they seem to want to attack the Western way of life, destabilise society and create fear all around. The more attacks there are, the more suspicion arises between different cultural groups and the more they achieve their goals. I feel quite depressed at the state of the world today.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1458656159|4009364 said:
My daughter spent a couple of days in Brussels (and flew into and out of that airport) on her way to Africa a year and a half ago, and at that time, the Ebola virus was our primary concern. But now, it seems like travel involves a lot more risk.

I was posting while you were, DS, so I did not see this until after I had already posted what I did. I have not even been on an airplane in many years, but I do not fear travelling to Europe now. (And I, also, have been through that airport in Belgium as have so many. many travelers!) I have been to many more dangerous places in the world than western Europe. I, do, however, feel great pity for the Europeans who must, now, live with the threat of terror day in and day out. Unlike me, they would not just be passing through! This is a huge dilemma because of the wave of refugees from Islamic countries and the rise of terrorist organizations, but I hope that it does not prove insurmountable. I still hold to the belief that men of good will can live in peace and I also believe that men of good will can be found in all countries, in all ethnic groups, and in all religions.

AGBF

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
My thoughts are with the families & friends of those involved. It's a horrific attack. :angryfire: The world is now a very different place from what we grew up with. :errrr:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sad...my heart goes out to the people of Belgium.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I woke up to that news and immediately thought of Paul Slegers and his team and everyone in the Bourse. This stuff is scary as hell. There are quite a few J-School students from Mizzou there right now as well, interning, and several were right outside of the train station when it occurred. They were live tweeting when they got themselves together. It was fascinating to follow.

kenny|1458656521|4009369 said:
diamondseeker2006|1458656199|4009365 said:

Trump is delighted.

I agree.

He wants to win the most important job in the world.
This will help.
I admit I had the same thought process. Too many people do not understand that his rhetoric of preaching and condoning hate and reinforcing those separatist behaviors will not make us safer. Instead they think like he preaches and that's only going to make people around the world who already hate us and want to kill us stronger and more spiteful.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those pictures seem to suggest a fairly large explosive device, and unfortunately, it's not hard to imagine how that might have happened and how it could happen here. Anyone can walk into an airport or subway with a wheeled suitcase containing explosives. I doubt travelers would be willing to put up with inspections going into airports, subways, and trains for very long.

The extremists' willingness to kill people over beliefs and for revenge seems so damn primitive. Unfortunately, in this case, they're doing it with modern tools...

E B

Ideal_Rock
Did anyone happen to catch Ted Cruz's statement? Here's a choice bit:

“We need to empower law enforcement to patrol and secure Muslim neighborhoods before they become radicalized.”

:shock:

Donald Trump gets all the attention for being the crazy candidate while Cruz slips these legitimately scary ideas and opinions under the radar. He is far, far worse.

My heart goes out to the poor victims and their families. ;(

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
E B|1458671587|4009475 said:

“We need to empower law enforcement to patrol and secure Muslim neighborhoods before they become radicalized.”

Donald Trump gets all the attention for being the crazy candidate while Cruz slips these legitimately scary ideas and opinions under the radar. He is far, far worse.

Uh, pot, meet kettle. Speaking of "radicalized" anything, look in the mirror, crazyman.

But anyway, why are these nitwits giving statements? They're candidates, not presidents. He might be a Senator, but he is far from a ranking official worthy of an important statement. The Speaker, The VP, the President, the First Lady, even former Secretary of State Clinton--THEY can give statements that should be taken seriously. But a random Senator or a whacko with stupid hair? No.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

What an awful thing to say and as much as I dislike Trump, I seriously doubt he's grinning about the latest terrorist attack...

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
ame|1458673886|4009489 said:
E B|1458671587|4009475 said:

Uh, pot, meet kettle. Speaking of "radicalized" anything, look in the mirror, crazyman.

But anyway, why are these nitwits giving statements? They're candidates, not presidents. He might be a Senator, but he is far from a ranking official worthy of an important statement. The Speaker, The VP, the President, the First Lady, even former Secretary of State Clinton--THEY can give statements that should be taken seriously. But a random Senator or a whacko with stupid hair? No.

I presume that they are giving statements because people would be interested to see how they might react if the same type of scenario occurred while they were president. I think most of them give statements of one form or another.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ame|1458659698|4009406 said:
I woke up to that news and immediately thought of Paul Slegers and his team and everyone in the Bourse.

<Snip>

Thank you Ame and others who have asked.

Paul and his family are safe at this time.

My heart is heavy as I work today. But I, like millions of others, continue to live my life as it should be lived. If nothing else because we wish to show the terrorists that they can kill and maim, but they can not win by doing so.

Wink

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1458674899|4009497 said:

What an awful thing to say and as much as I dislike Trump, I seriously doubt he's grinning about the latest terrorist attack...

Yes it's awful!
I agree completely.

It's awful that, IMO, Trump will use this tragedy to fan fear and hatred to gain the ultimate power-job.
Just watch.

Way to go! Perfect timing Isis! :appl:
Nothing will doom America more than Trump getting elected.

No facts here.
No links to "prove" anything.
100% my opinion.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1458658066|4009384 said:
diamondseeker2006|1458656159|4009364 said:
My daughter spent a couple of days in Brussels (and flew into and out of that airport) on her way to Africa a year and a half ago, and at that time, the Ebola virus was our primary concern. But now, it seems like travel involves a lot more risk.

I was posting while you were, DS, so I did not see this until after I had already posted what I did. I have not even been on an airplane in many years, but I do not fear travelling to Europe now. (And I, also, have been through that airport in Belgium as have so many. many travelers!) I have been to many more dangerous places in the world than western Europe. I, do, however, feel great pity for the Europeans who must, now, live with the threat of terror day in and day out. Unlike me, they would not just be passing through! This is a huge dilemma because of the wave of refugees from Islamic countries and the rise of terrorist organizations, but I hope that it does not prove insurmountable. I still hold to the belief that men of good will can live in peace and I also believe that men of good will can be found in all countries, in all ethnic groups, and in all religions.

AGBF

I am not sure about the travel safety issues yet (maybe steering clear of major cities is okay, but you can't get there unless you fly into one), but I wholeheartedly agree with the rest: great sympathy for those who must live with this threat daily and that men of good will can be found in all countries, ethnic groups, and religions. I do not know how the world will manage to overcome radical Islamic terrorism, but I hope countries of the world will unite to deal with it more effectively.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wink|1458675425|4009500 said:
I woke up to that news and immediately thought of Paul Slegers and his team and everyone in the Bourse.

<Snip>

My heart is heavy as I work today. But I, like millions of others, continue to live my life as it should be lived. If nothing else because we wish to show the terrorists that they can kill and maim, but they can not win by doing so.

Wink

Thankful to hear that, Wink. Tell him we are thinking of them and praying for their safety.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
diamondseeker2006|1458677722|4009524 said:
Wink|1458675425|4009500 said:

<Snip>

Wink

Thankful to hear that, Wink. Tell him we are thinking of them and praying for their safety.

Consider it done, and thank you.

Wink

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you Wink. I immediately thought of Paul and others in that region. I learned on FB , he's safe and all that I know from PS are safe. It's a terrible thing for all, and My thoughts and prayers go out to all.

Please let Paul and all we send prayers of comfort and strength... And lots of PS DUST that this doesn't happen again.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Kaleigh|1458679924|4009540 said:
Thank you Wink. I immediately thought of Paul and others in that region. I learned on FB , he's safe and all that I know from PS are safe. It's a terrible thing for all, and My thoughts and prayers go out to all.

Please let Paul and all we send prayers of comfort and strength... And lots of PS DUST that this doesn't happen again.

It is done, Thank you.

Wink

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope all of our extended PS family are safe. Our thoughts and prayers go out the the families of the people killed or hurt in the attacks.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1458675611|4009501 said:
momhappy|1458674899|4009497 said:

Yes it's awful!
I agree completely.

It's awful that, IMO, Trump will use this tragedy to fan fear and hatred to gain the ultimate power-job.
Just watch.

Way to go! Perfect timing Isis! :appl:
Nothing will doom America more than Trump getting elected.

No facts here.
No links to "prove" anything.
100% my opinion.

Trump won't do anything that any other politician wouldn't do - they could all "capitalize" on the tragedy in some way, shape, or form.
America is already doomed. With or without Trump. 100% my opinion.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results