shape
carat
color
clarity

Starting a running program...advice, tips? help!

InLuv101

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all!

I lurk on the Healthy Lifestyle threads a lot as you all inspire me! I recently joined WW and have lost 8.5 lbs so far and it feels great. So I''m joining ROTC in the Fall and I''ll have to be able to run 1.5 miles in 16.22 min. I''ve got to achieve this by late Aug. Is this even possible for a beginner? I am in such poor cardiovascular condition right now...I can''t even run for 5 solid minutes.

So how should I go about it? I''ve read about C25K...is that best or should I just go out and run as much as I can daily? Any and all advice is much appreciated!
1.gif

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Hello and welcome to the healthy lifestyle thread!

To be brief, yes, you can achieve 1.5 miles by August. I''d recommend the Couch to 5k program. It starts you out slow and it reaches the goal of 5k and you only need to complete half that distance.

So, you have 3 months to train for a 10.81min/mile for 1.5 miles. You got it!

FWIW, I couldn''t run for 5 minutes when I first started running either. Everyone starts somewhere. Follow the schedule, tell yourself you CAN do it, and prepared to be amazed.
1.gif

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
I, too, recommend C25K. My daughter heads to Army Basic the end of August, so I started her out on that program. She''s up to a mile now, but needs to be able ro run two.

A couple of other recommendations:

1. Invest in GOOD running shoes. If there is a Road Runner Sports or something similar in your area, go get a proper fitting. They take a video of you running to see if you pronate or anything. I can''t stress enough the importance of good, properly fitting running shoes!

2. Add intervals to your running workout at least once per week. Something like sprint for a minute followed by a slow jog or walk for a minute. As you progress, make the intervals longer. This will help you get faster.

Good luck!

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
A couple tips...

- be sure to take off at least one full day per week of any/all exercise
- I highly recommend one day of yoga -- the solid stretch helps your muscles relax, repair and feel good to run again
- drink tons of water - it will make you a more successful runner

and yes! Invest in good running shoes! We swear by Asics, but find the right shoe for you.

Good luck and keep after it!

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
It is definitely doable to get there by August. It seems far now...but it is not that bad at all!

Others have given great advice.

Make sure to get good shoes. Get properly fitted for your foot type and stride. And replace them as they wear! Wearing worn shoes is terrible for your body and a sure way to make running a miserable experience. I actually always buy two pairs at a time (the same model and make the last 6 years as they are best for my narrow feet and stride!) and rotate them every 4 days. I replace them both about every year as they wear so get a total of about 6 months from each pair (need to replace varies person to person...I run about 40-45 miles a week, am light and have a fairly light and efficient stride and rotate them so get more than the recommended 400 miles out of a pair).

Drink lots of water, I second recommendations for yoga and other cross-training. Take rest days (1-3 a week depending on mileage)! Intervals will be important for increasing speed.

Good luck. DH and I are both former members of the military (he for much longer and until much more recently) and it will be an adventure for you, I am sure!

InLuv101

Brilliant_Rock
Grrrr....PS just ate my long and individual responses to each of you. THank you all for responding and for your advice. I plan to get fitted for shoes this weekend and start next week! I''m super excited and appreciate all of you taking the time to respond. Thanks to you, I now actually think I can do this!
16.gif

dcgator

Brilliant_Rock
In Luv, I second the great advice others have given you and think it''s great that you are getting fitted for proper shoes.
36.gif

I thought I would also mention something that might get overlooked. Make sure you stretch for at least a few minutes before beginning any running. No stretching = cold muscles = easily injured
6.gif

Also, I think just as important as a great fitting pair of shoes is a great pair of wicking socks. The running socks can be a bit pricey (around $10 a pair), but when you don''t have blisters the size of silver dollars on your feet, it is worth it!

I think you have more than enough time to get yourself up to the alloted pace time and I wish you lots of luck with your whole healthy lifestyle journey
9.gif

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/25/2010 4:52:21 PM
Author: dcgator
In Luv, I second the great advice others have given you and think it's great that you are getting fitted for proper shoes.
36.gif

I thought I would also mention something that might get overlooked. Make sure you stretch for at least a few minutes before beginning any running. No stretching = cold muscles = easily injured
6.gif

Also, I think just as important as a great fitting pair of shoes is a great pair of wicking socks. The running socks can be a bit pricey (around $10 a pair), but when you don't have blisters the size of silver dollars on your feet, it is worth it!

I think you have more than enough time to get yourself up to the alloted pace time and I wish you lots of luck with your whole healthy lifestyle journey
9.gif

I would just say be careful with the stretching. You don't really want to be doing "cold stretching" right before starting a run - which is stretching before *any* warming up as it can actually cause more damage than good. You do want to warm up....it is the biggest deterrent against injury....but it is often advised to warm up muscles by fast walking/lightly jogging, rather than "stretching" specific muscles while they are "cold". And if you do stretch...it should be done AFTER you have warmed up a bit with a light jog/fast walk for 5-10 minutes(even more important if you are running in morning after your muscles are stiff from laying in bed all night!). Also do not force, or bounce, into a stretch. Just go with static and slow stretches.

I admittedly don't stretch beforehand. There is all sorts of opinions out there about stretching before or after and what is better and what is not advised. But, my preference is not to stretch beforehand - this is from a mix of personal experiences and finding what works for me. I will start with a lighter jog for about 5 minutes before starting my "real run". Then about 30 minutes or so after a run I will spend 15 minutes doing some leg and hip stretches (the gap between is also to prevent the injury that can come with stretching too soon after a run). If I do not have time then (I run in morning before work so have limited time to get my 6 miles and shower and all that in!) I will do some stretches before bed at night. I also do hot yoga about 2x a week.

Definitely get some good running socks. You don't want to be wearing 100% cotton and such as it will trap moisture and cause problems with your feet. You can buy double-socks that some swear by for blister-protection. I wear blends with merino wool (both light summer-weight ones and winter-weight ones) as they work well for me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results