shape
carat
color
clarity

Song Help

Please suggest a song for the bridal party to dance to, after our first dance together and parent dances are done.

We have already considered "You've Got a Friend" and "That's What Friends are For," and aren't sold on either one. Any other suggestions, please???

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Are you sold on *doing* a bridal party dance? To be frank: I know as a guest, OR a bridal party member, it is my least favorite moment of the wedding reception. I understand the first dance. And the parent dances. But unless it's going to be choreographed, super entertaining for the guests, AND the bridal party is all on board, I don't really see a need for it.

We didn't do it.
2/3 of the weddings I've been a bridesmaid in didn't do it.

Perhaps instead, have the DJ announce something like "we'd now like to open the dance floor to all the couples out there...even if you just met...but the more couples out on the floor, the more well-wishes for the bride and groom...so grab a partner and join in!" And have it be an open slow song.

If you're set on doing a bridal party dance, possibly consider something like a "snowball" dance where after the first verse, the bridal party couples all split up and grab members from the audience (their parents, SOs, other friends, grandparents, etc) to join them on the floor, and then after the second verse, those couples can split again to bring more people onto the dance floor.

/steps off soapbox

As for songs...if you just do the bridal party, what about something like "I'll Be There" by the Jackson Five or "I'll Be There For You" by the Rembrandts (the theme from Friends)...

If you do something like the couples dance, you can make it a bit more sappy, with something like "Faithfully" by Journey or something from Sinatra or Michael Buble like "The Way You Look Tonight" or "Everything"?

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Perhaps try something upbeat to get the other guests in the party mood. After the first dance and the parents dances, it's a lot of the guests to just sit and watch. This can help transition them to the party mode.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Along the lines of what centralsquare said, the first song after our parent dances was "I Got A Feelin'" by the Black Eyed Peas. Got everyone on the dance floor and QUICK. My friend used the same song at her wedding to open the dance floor and it started with just the bride and groom, bridesmaids, junior bridesmaids, and a few very adventurous boys, and by the end and the transition to the next song, everyone was starting to make their way onto the floor...

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I'm also in the camp voting for no "bridal party dance." It's just awkward and your guests will only pay attention for so long..

The best first song to play after the formal dances that I have seen was "Love Shack" by the B52s. (That was an awkward sentence to construct, BTW) EVERYBODY got out on the floor because it's such a fun song to dance to.

You want one of those songs where everyone goes "Ohhhh" and then can't refrain from boogeying on down.
"Play that Funky Music"
"Dancing Queen"
"The Twist"
"Twist and Shout"

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
IMHO, a bridal party dance is kind of awkward because most of the bridesmaids and groomsmen aren't dating each other, but have significant others who have to watch them dance with someone else. Instead of a bridal party dance, we did an anniversary dance, where all the couples get on the dance floor, and the DJ tells you to leave if you've been married less than one day, one year, 5 years, 10 years, etc...until only one couple is left standing. If you have your heart set on a bridal chance, I'd choose something fun, upbeat, and non-romantic (I think you had the right idea with the friend-themed songs). Maybe "Stand by Me" or "Lean on Me?" The Beatles' "With a Little Help from my Friends?"

Thanks for all your replies! This really helps. I was already planning on doing a dance where the longest married couple is left dancing themselves - it will be my grandparents who have been married 57 years. Now I know I can just replace the Bridal Party Dance with this! Problem solved!

One more thing checked off the list...

44 days to go and I'm melting!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Future Mrs. Sterling|1313806239|2994740 said:
Thanks for all your replies! This really helps. I was already planning on doing a dance where the longest married couple is left dancing themselves - it will be my grandparents who have been married 57 years. Now I know I can just replace the Bridal Party Dance with this! Problem solved!

Definitely a better idea!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Future Mrs. Sterling|1313806239|2994740 said:

That is such a sweet idea!

I think you'll get a lot more people involved this way and avoid potential discomfort.

Did you have a song picked for this?

I do have a song picked - Some Enchanted Evening by Frank Sinatra.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results