shape
carat
color
clarity

Size and surprise:a girl''s (long) story....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Audrey Hepburn

Rough_Rock
SO,
My Bf and I have been looking for diamonds for the last 6 months or so. Maybe because we''ve been dating so long, or maybe because he''s a perma-bachelor, I never really thought it would happen. We don''t really live together, he has his own place with his brothers, but he has all his mail sent here, has most of his clothes here, etc. We call his place our "country home" as it''s out of town a bit farther, but I digress..
So I''m at my home on Tuesday, studying for my step II exam, when the doorbell rings, the dog goes nuts, and it''s fed-ex with a package. Now, I know my BF has been telling me he''s expecting a pair of sandals for himself in the mail, so that''s what I assume they are. And I want to see what these sandals he''s purchased look like (''cause sometimes he can have some dodgy taste in footware.
21.gif
) So, of course I open this medium-sized box.

It''s not sandals.

There is a large jewlery box inside with a stack of papers next to it, and I see a hint of a GIA report peeking out.

I drop the box. (Sh*t!!!!) NOW what was I to do? WHY did I open his mail? I wasn''t supposed to be home Tuesday to study - he thought I was going to be at work..... But I didn''t want him to know that I knew! I knew that he wanted the engagment to be "somewhat" of a suprise. So I do what any logical girl would do - I immediatly race to our local fed-ex, buy the same exact box, repackage the jewlery box and the papers, get a new packing slip sleeve and transfer the slip, throw on the appropriate stickers, and race home before the BF gets there, casually placing it on his desk. (the woman at fed ex thought I was nuts - "you just want to repackage this? and you don''t want to send it anywhere? hey, you''re the customer..") AND I NEVER LOOKED. not at the stone, not at the papers. I don''t think he suspects a THING. Today I saw the box, empty, in the trash.... and I haven''t seen his new pair of "sandals" yet... (In fact, when he got home that night, I told him that I thought his sandals had arrived, and he got this worried look on his face, and asked me if I had actually seen them, and I shrugged and said, "no, I just put the box on your desk." hee-hee)

So here''s my problem - now I''m wishing I HAD looked! I''m a bit of a control freak, and now I''m wishing I had at least looked at the report. I do trust him, but..... And the two radiant diamonds we were deciding between (1.7ct, e/SI1/6.9x7.1 65d/65t vs 2.0ct, g/SI1/7.3x7.6 60d/67t) have BOTH been sold in the past few days (yes, I''ve looked!)..... And I''m wondering if he''s going to have it set in a temp. band, or if he''s going to do it himself..... And what does the stone look like? Does it sparkle? Is he having it appraised? ANd I said to him that I would be totally happy with either, but now I''m kinda hoping he got the bigger one....but if he did then would it be too big? (small fingers- 3.5 ring size) And when did a few tenths of a mm become such a big deal to me? ANd when is "it" going to happen? And how?

AND WHY DID I HAVE TO OPEN THAT BOX?! Now you all are the ONLY people who know that I know - I DO really want to be surprised , I wish I could just let it go.. It''s just a ring - the important part is the wonderful man that I get to be with for the rest of my life.... But I blame all of you, and this amazing web site, for getting me SO obsessed with diamonds; so I think it''s just fair you should hear my story - and I''m sorry it''s so long. I''m happy and anxious and nervous; there''s just alot on my mind right now..... I''m almost thinking of going to the jewelery store where I think he''s having it set, to see if they''d let me look at it. Bad idea though, right? HELP A CRAZY WOMAN!!!

-AH
loopy.gif

bling

Shiny_Rock
you are too funny! i think you did the right thing by not looking any further..although i cant say that i would have the same self restraint!
1.gif
try and keep your boyfriends surprise as much as a surprise as possible. I know how it feels to want the larger stone, but they both sound like gorgeous stones, and are both huge! and your fingers are tiny so it will probably make little difference. I dont think your nuts at all, and probably would have done the exact same thing as you..us ladies and our crazy diamond obsessions leads us to do CRAZY things sometimes!
i think the hardest part now is wondering when hell give it to you! hahaha..so far..this story sounds sweet and amazing..please post the ending for all of us to follow..hehehe.. and dont worry!
appl.gif
rodent.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
OMG- I think this is the funniest story in the whole wide world...Now, I'm not the kind of girl who is going to give you that usual sweet cr*p...oh, be happy you have the man of your dreams and don't worry about the ring..lol...I KNOW what it's like to be obsessed about perfection...(at least to the SLIGHT degree I can attain it lol)

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE my husband more than anything in the world and I would live with him in a cardboard box....BUT THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL HE"S PICKING OUT MY DIAMOND ON HIS OWN...LOL...

DOn't freak..chances are there is a return policy!!!
1.gif
Do you think the proposal is coming soon? If yes, then don't worry, you can always return it...This is SO funny...

What's the WORST that can happen...you end up with a stone that is not the stone of your dreams...at least you still have the man of your dreams!!!!

reena

Ideal_Rock
yes, you are hilarious! i love that story, and don't worry, it's ok to be obsessed--i think you're right, it is partly this site that does it (in a good way). im hooked too.

anyway, i think it is incredibly sweet that you were so worried about ruining the surprise aspect for him that you went to all that trouble to repackage the ring (and didn't look). i wouldn't have looked either--you want it to be something of a surprise! im sure he did a great job and you will love the ring--so dont worry, just sit back and relax and wait for it to happen.

and POST PICS when it does! congrats!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
hahah I snooped and found all the documentation and receipts on mine and pretended I never did. He left it out, so his fault. I was glad I did. I wasnt the least bit disappointed I did or with the final product. I was actually REALLY impressed that he listened to me and didn't "overbuy".

Yay!

Patty

Ideal_Rock
This is VERY funny.

Do NOT go to the jeweler and try to see the ring first. Let him surprise you!

Once my sister unwrapped a gift that her hubby was giving her for Christmas. It was a skirt that was too small, so she returned it for the correct size. She re-wrapped it and he was none the wiser, lol.

I used to snoop but I don't any more and I'm so glad I don't. BUT, my hubby knows better than to try to pick out jewelry for me.

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
BWAAHAAAHAAAAAA!!!!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Thanks so much for the laugh. That is hilarious. I would have done EXACTLY the same thing you did, FedEx repack and all!!!

But, however mindbendingly impossible it may seem, don't snoop any further -let him surprise you. I think this is so sweet... sweet of him, and sweet of you to cover up that you know. Hang in there, and PLEASE let us know what happens! I'll be biting my nails along with ya
2.gif

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 7/15/2004 11:06:12 AM Audrey Hepburn wrote:

SO,
But I blame all of you, and this amazing web site, for getting me SO obsessed with diamonds; so I think it's just fair you should hear my story -

-AH
loopy.gif
----------------

Ok, Ok, I for one take full responsibility!
11.gif
Hey what the hell, someone had to be the bigger person
eek.gif

Thanks for the laugh. Are you ever going to let him know you opened the box-or let it go? Just a sour thought, sorry. Just wondering if you'll take it to the grave.

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
Great story Audrey - thanks for the
9.gif
!

My fiance told me the ring was at his office so i wouldn't snoop around our home - cuz if i thought it were there, ida torn the place apart!
saint.gif
I'm not a big fan of surprises - i'd rather know what i'm in for
2.gif

heart prongs

Shiny_Rock
Hee-hee...you poor thing (well, not really with either of those two diamonds waiting for you) I hope he doesn't torture you for too long before giving it to you...Before we got engaged last September (wedding one month from today!!!) everytime now fi said he had something for me, I'd put my left hand out! We too had been looking for quite a while...And still, somehow, the little sneak was able to surprise me...I hope that happens for you to, enjoy the anticipation ...if possible...kl

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
Ever think he might know that you opened it and decided to drag out the wait just to have some fun with you?
11.gif

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock
rodent.gif
That is soooo funny~!

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
What a hilarious story!!! You are so bad.
11.gif
Don't tell him until your tenth anniversary. Good for you for not looking any further when you realized what it was. I don't know if I could have done it. Keep us posted, this has the potential to get even funnier. LOL

Shay

P.S. Either one of those diamonds sounds gorgeous.

Audrey Hepburn

Rough_Rock
UG!
So I casually looked around his desk today (hey, I was DUSTING, ok?) and didn't find anything..... He left for a vacation this morning with his family (I was NOT invited on the family trip to Jamaica because WE are not MARRIED, we've only been dating for FIVE YEARS and practically LIVE together, but that's another story..
angryfire.gif
) I restrained myself and did NOT go to the jewelery store, but I did call up the internet company where I think he ordered the diamond from, told the operator about my predicament, and begged her to at least tell me which STATES the 2 diamonds were sent to.

She just laughed at me. Typical.

SO I'm going to have to wait! And now he's gone for a week, and I'm going to climb the walls until then, or whenever he gets around to popping the question. Thing is - it's not like we have any big weekends planned, no trips, no mutual vacations, so I'm just scratching my head, trying to figure out when and how he's going to do it! I'm giving him until Sept 1st (that will be our 5yr anniversary.) If it doesn't happen by then, look for me in the corner, in the fetal position, blabbling incoherently.

I don't think I'll tell him about me opening the package anytime soon - maybe after the wedding; it's so amusing that I don;t think I'll be able to take it to my grave. However, this will only serve to reaffirm the BF's belief that women are much more devious than men. And with that, I suppose I cannot disagree.
11.gif

ANd here I need to give credit to my wonderful MOTHER- I left out the part of the story where I called her up to ask her for her advice on what to after I had opened up the freakin' box, and without missing a beat she said "Where's the fed-ex store in your town? Go. Now." So the ingenious idea to re-package was hers, not mine...... Ahhhhh. I hope to one day be just as cunning and quick-witted as her. She's a good teacher, no?

SO how does one wait for this thing without going mad? KNOWING he has the ring (or is very close) but not knowing when or how? And when can one start planning for a wedding? I want to be wed next June - 10 months is enough time, right? ooooooh, this is all so exciting!!! And I promise that as soon as I know more, y'all will be the next to know! And get PICS!!!
3.gif

Thanks for alll your advice!!!!!!!!
-AH

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
Audrey,

I have got to give you loads of credit for not just ripping into the box and having a look, or at least reading the GIA info!!! I don't think I could have NOT looked!! It is a sweet story and I can't wait to hear what happens next.
9.gif

Either stone sounds gorgeous. Radiants are my fav!
love.gif

Keep us posted.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Oh my- a whhholle week???
I can't stand it. Whatever will you do? I'ld be in that fetal position now.
You poor thing. I guess someone upstairs wants you to suffer alittle.
naughty.gif

sparkler29

Shiny_Rock
This is so funny and sounds so familiar! I think you did the right thing by not looking any further - let him surprise you! My BF and I just had our five year anniversary earlier this week, and I'm pretty sure the proposal is coming soon, but it's been such a long road to this point that the wait is killing me!!! I know he's been shopping but I didn't want to be too involved (other than giving him approximately 10 pictures of the type of stone and setting I want, websites to consult and contact names for jewelers/diamond sellers in NYC). I wanted to let him surprise me, but I REALLY hope he follows my instructions!
sick.gif
One day he and another friend who was ring shopping just happened to be having dinner in Rockefeller Center, which was highly unusual other than the fact that it's located a block from the diamond district! I admit I snooped in his bag and my suspicions were confirmed - I saw some evidence of diamond shopping! Now I just have to wait...and wait...and wait until he proposes. It's torture!

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
My GF knows I'm either looking or thinking about buying an e-ring. She keeps getting asked about it at work and I know the wait is killing her. She's the last young unwed woman at her office.

I'll have to make sure I'm home the day FedEx comes next month.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
That was one of the most entertaining stories i've read in a while--so first, thanks!
3.gif

And I would have been a big wh*re and looked in the box fully before the replacement escapade because I am evil.
naughty.gif
I commend your discpline ad envy it...
appl.gif
but your subsequent snooping has led you down a dangerous path.
nono.gif
You'll have to have patience (sorry i've none to lend you--I have NONE)... and hope for the best--relax...chances are it's a winner..i have a gut feeling on it...
twirl.gif
but do please keep us posted!!!!!!!!!
1.gif

NY SPARKLE

Rough_Rock
Ha ha...This story could have been about me.
9.gif
A few weeks ago my bf got a little crazy when I opened his drawer to get a shirt. So when he went in the shower I opened the drawer to get the shirt and lo and behold there was a GIA document in the back of the drawer and some ring-looking box. I slammed the drawer shut and did not snoop further.
8.gif
It killed me, but I know the surprise will be worth it. Now the worst part is knowing where it is and trying to act all unsuspicious. But it is fun to go near "the drawer" and watch him get flustered. heheheheeee
11.gif
11.gif
11.gif
I don't know how much more I can stand, but I did not look. I WILL NOT LOOK!!!!! I have to keep telling myself that or els I might do something insane. Heheheee
naughty.gif

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
I don't know where you guys get the strength. I remember as a kid: snooping for my Christmas presents, finding them, taking them out of the box and playing with them.
But I suffered in the end. No big surprise on the big day. It was such a let down.
I hope you guys can hang in there. It will be well worth it.

rms

Brilliant_Rock
I love your story. It sounds like it will definitely be worth waiting for.

Man, you had better hope that your man doesn't hang out much on PS himself!! Do you know if he reads this site?

elepri

Brilliant_Rock
Your story is hilarious. I can totally relate. All this waitng is a killer!
errrr.gif
Unlike you though, i doubt i'd be able to resist ripping the FedEx package. I guess my boyfriend kind of figured it it out. He's having it shipped to his mom's. Or to his office... He's keeping me out of the loop at this point.

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
Waiting is so hard... but you've got a reasonable space of time to wait. Then you've got a reasonable time to sit down with him and have the "please let's get engaged" talk without ever having to reveal that you know that he has the ring. If he knows he's making you upset, I'm sure that will light a fire under him. Until then, try to be patient. (Or at least bounce up and down out of sight)

PS. My SO told me he was getting the ring (and I know more or less which ring) and a sapphire and then said "it's going to take a few months to make, so you need to be patient". It's been... oh... a week, and I'm running out. To a very large extent, though, it's just really wonderful to know that he and I /really/ agree on where we are in our relationship and where we want to be heading. Your SO didn't tell you directly, but you know now too.

PPS. If you /really/ need something to keep your mind off of it, you can play my newest game: find the silliest, least practical, least desirable wedding accessory that someone's selling online. (It's de rigeur that it also be overpriced, but that doesn't seem to be a problem.) Post it online, we'll all have a competition
1.gif

websailor

Brilliant_Rock
Are you sure you're not closely related to my BW????
Up_to_something.gif
Sounds just like her....

I won't tell any of the stories of the lengths I've gone to try to suprise her and how many suprises she has spoiled. Suffice it to say, we just discovered a gift I bought for her 3-4 years ago that I hid so well even I lost it....

Anyway, my advice is to not let even a tiny hint out that you know what's up. The reason - many guys like to do the proposal as a suprise... if it's not a suprise, it will be held off until it is.... so if he even suspects, you're quite likely to be waiting longer...

This is speaking from experience (and since my BW is reading this board, I'm sure I'm in for a grilling tonight).... In her case, since she thought I was going to propose (and let me know it quite a bit), several good chances at a proposal slipped by....only when she had finally given up was it possible to suprise her....

PS - I agree, women are far more devious than men....

KBerly

Brilliant_Rock
I just caught this thread! You made me laugh out loud, so I had to read it to the boyfriend, whom of course answered, "You would have done the same thing.." Nah, not me honey, I would never open your mail...
Up_to_something.gif
Please keep us updated!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results