carat
color
clarity

Sideways pics

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WTF is going on?
Lately people are posting more and more sideways pics.

Why do they do that?
Does anyone care?
Is this another new thing we must just accept?

Am I the only one annoyed by this?
Do people who are young and cool not even notice?
Is nobody embarrassed when they do this because it's the new and cool way to view pics?

Is because 'smart' phones are too stupid to output the pic the way it was taken?
Is it correctable, but users don't bother to read their phones owner's manual and set a setting?
Is it because it's so easy to rotate a phone 90 degrees when viewing pics ... and to Hell with any caveman who is still using a desktop computer?

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You may want to chill out, Kenny, because I think it's actually something wonky about PS lately. For some reason, some photos show up sideways even though they've been rotated the correct way on my laptop, and I couldn't fix it. I've ended up deleting photos from my post because I can't get them to show up the right way or waiting until I get to my iMac where for some reason, I don't have that problem. So I'm guessing that others are having the same issue, and it's not fixable from their end.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's PS. This is the only forum it ever happens to me.

Q

Queenie60

All of my photos are fine on my iphone and on my macbook. However, when I post to PS - they're always sideways. I feel it's a PS problem. :wavey:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Life is too short to expend that much energy on something like this...

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Echoing that it's a PS problem, so no need for ire. Like other posters, I've removed pictures because no matter what, they will always post sideways regardless of what they look like on my computer.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, if the pics were taken with my Iphone

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe its a PS problem. I'm sure there's some code somewhere that could be tweaked to straighten that out.

Until then, we'll likely just have permanent cricks in our necks from turning our heads sideways all the time. :tongue:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My pics were coming out sideways on PS even though they weren't that way on my IPhone. What I found is that if I went into my photos and hit edit on the picture I wanted to post and rotated it all the way around then saved it, they come out straight on PS. I found my own sideways pictures annoying and now I know at least one other person was annoyed as well ;-)

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm an admin on a forum that has the sideways pic problem any time someone posts from an iphone. Never happens with non-apple devices, only apple. It is an apple problem.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To prevent my iPhone from posting sideways pics I connect it to my laptop and copy and paste the pics onto my laptop and rotate them on my laptop.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny, I apologized for this in my Moradi thread from today. My pics are uploaded from a PC, etc per my thread. I hate that it happened, I spent time uploading all those pics! :errrr:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
According to link below, if people follow their phone's directions it would never happen.
Quote, "Hold your phone like apple tells you."
But who reads directions these days? :nono:

Perhaps the fix is this easy ...
I can't test it since I don't have any kind of phone with a camera, let alone an apple iPhone.

Would someone with an iPhone care to test this and post results?

http://rotatemailer.com/sideways-pictures.html

Partial snip:

screen_shot_2016-09-17_at_9.png

screen_shot_2016-09-17_at_0.png

screen_shot_2016-09-17_at_1.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I googled, "Why do my phone pics post sideways?"
The question returned over 3.5 million hits, so apparently I'm not the only one who is annoyed.

None of the hits I opened mentioned PS.
So no, it's not PS.

The links I've opened leads me to believe the person taking the pic needs to learn how to do it correctly.

screen_shot_2016-09-17_at_2.png

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1474173163|4077961 said:
According to link below, if people follow their phone's directions it would never happen.

I can't test it since I don't have any kind of phone with a camera, let alone an apple iPhone.

Partial snip:

This is not even remotely true. I love how someone so in the dark when it comes to technology that doesn't even own a phone with a camera so easily casts aside real world testimony in favor of a page found through Google that isn't even true.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sonnyjane|1474174949|4077965 said:

Partial snip:

This is not even remotely true. I love how someone so in the dark when it comes to technology that doesn't even own a phone with a camera so easily casts aside real world testimony in favor of a page found through Google that isn't even true.

:lol:

screen_shot_2016-09-17_at_10.png

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Done.

I took photos in the horizontal "correct" position, vertical, and horizontal in the "wrong" position. All taken on the iPhone. All show up correctly rotated on my iPhone and when e-mailed to me on my MacBook laptop without me doing anything to them. All posted correctly on Facebook too so not an issue there either. But on PS, only the correct horizontal showed up in the right position. The vertical was flipped sideways, the incorrect horizontal was upside down. Now here's the weird part. When I deleted the photos and edited them to take out some personal info then reposted them, all three edited photos posted correctly in the preview! I didn't post as they are all in the correct position now.

So if it's an iPhone problem, some sites and applications don't seem to have a problem with the problem. PS does. And editing the photos seemed to solve the problem for PS for some reason. So I don't know if it's specifically a PS problem but at least for e-mail and Facebook, it's not a problem at all. Others should feel free to weigh in with their experiences.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks RW.
So it sounds like your experience correlates with the advice in the link I posted above, and the screen captures in that post?
IOW, always hold your camera so the long sides are against the sky and the ground, aka hold it horizontally with the round button on your right side.
Never take a pic holding it vertically because it will show up sideways in some places, including PS.

It's a curious problem; I'd look into it more if I had such a phone.
It would be wonderful if more members here with iPhones test this and post their results.

Perhaps one of our braniac software people here could explain why this happens.

Sorry if I ruffle feathers; I just want to get to the bottom of this ... and perhaps we have.
I love photography and things like this, poor white balance, and people holding their camera closer to their rings than the camera can focus is disappointing.
I don't lose sleep over it ... but such poor results are just unnecessary.
Everyone appreciates nice pics.

IMO we should not settle for poor results.
We should expect good results, research things, and work and learn to solve these issues regardless of what type of camera we each have.
No I'm not arguing people should go out and buy a fancy DSLR, just make the most of what you have.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
StephanieLynn|1474168793|4077938 said:
My pics were coming out sideways on PS even though they weren't that way on my IPhone. What I found is that if I went into my photos and hit edit on the picture I wanted to post and rotated it all the way around then saved it, they come out straight on PS. I found my own sideways pictures annoying and now I know at least one other person was annoyed as well ;-)

This is what I do. I edit each photo by rotating it 360 degrees no matter the orientation when I take the photo and it always shows up right side up on PS when I do this. I don't know why but trial and error allowed me to get to this solution. Just take the photo, hit edit and rotate it 360 degrees and you should end up with it right side up.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's a PS issue from what I can see; pics I have posted that ended up sideways were all fine when I went through my phone's gallery before and after I posted them.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny, looks fine to us.

owls_looking_sideways.jpg

cat_looking_sideways.jpg

puppy_looking_sideways.jpg

parrot_looking_sideways.jpg

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Maybe it's just me, but if I take photos a certain way and they email fine to others, text fine to others, post to Facebook and other websites without issue and only come out crooked on PS, then I'm not really quick to concede that I'm the one yielding such "poor results". Yes perhaps there is a way to take pictures to avoid this glitch on PS, but if there's no issue in 99% of my other daily photo dealings, I'm not going to admit I'm "doing it wrong". I've only had this problem with PS.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, so I'm not sure what is causing this "problem," but why so dang upset over it, kenny? [emoji15] Sometimes I imagine you must jump out of bed each morning, admire the beautiful sunrise, sip some brew, then think about what you'll choose to have offend/upset you that day... GEEZ, calm down, precious! It's just not that big a deal... [emoji23][emoji23]

I have posted from my iPhone and had this happen at times, and the same has happened when posting on a PC... so I don't think it's just an Apple issue. If it's a PS glitch, then it'll most likely be worked out soon enough.

9b536cde031fff91ad9c9b3b3f9f53fa.jpg

[emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56][emoji56]

Until then, kenny... ENJOY! [emoji8]
3650cf17ab5143e4b79e3629c8e90444.jpg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1474186470|4077984 said:
Thanks RW.
So it sounds like your experience correlates with the advice in the link I posted above, and the screen captures in that post?
IOW, always hold your camera so the long sides are against the sky and the ground, aka hold it horizontally with the round button on your right side.
Never take a pic holding it vertically because it will show up sideways in some places, including PS.

It would be wonderful if more members here with iPhones test this and post their results.

Sorry if I ruffle feathers; I just want to get to the bottom of this ... and perhaps we have.
I love photography and things like this, poor white balance, and people holding their camera closer to their rings than the camera can focus is disappointing.

We should expect good results, research things, and work and learn to solve these issues regardless of what type of camera we each have.

No I'm not arguing people should go out and buy a fancy DSLR, just make the most of what you have.

Kenny,

I understand how frustrating it can be when we think an issue can, or should be, easily resolved. In defense of those who have posted sideways photos, it seems to me that they always apologize and state that they don't know why its happening and have tried to post the photo right-side-up. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt; life can be busy and stressful, and we don't always have the time to search out and try various suggestions before finding a solution. Sometimes, despite trying various suggestions, the problem persists, and more time and research is required.

I think its good that you raised the issue and proposed a solution that will, hopefully, resolve the matter. Although, if it doesn't work for everyone, then I won't be too surprised. We haven't worked out all the glitches with technology.

Regarding photography, my love of photography greatly exceeds my knowledge and skill of the art. I'm trying to read, practice, experiment as much as possible to improve on my photos. But I have a very long way to go! I look at my photos and settings, and try to figure out why or how I got the results that I did. I'm sure that skilled photographers, such as yourself, must be thinking a better photo could have resulted from changing certain settings. And I would love to hear those comments! But I'm bravely posting away, and I love seeing others post their photos. The beauty or humour of a photo can shine though regardless of the skill of the photographer.

This post is too long! Ugh. Sorry.

Kenny, I'm glad you raised the issue with the intent of resolving the matter.

I'm also very glad that people have shared their photos even when the photos stubbornly refuse to post correctly.

I'd rather see a sideways photo than have the poster decide not to share the photo.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
december-fire|1474210481|4078053 said:
I'm also very glad that people have shared their photos even when the photos stubbornly refuse to post correctly.

I'd rather see a sideways photo than have the poster decide not to share the photo.

Agreed, december-fire... please don't stop posting! Sideways or not, I need to see the bling! :love:

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I seem to have this problem with the pictures that are too big. If I crop or resize them to a smaller size, they post correctly. I don't have an iphone.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
december-fire|1474206708|4078035 said:
Kenny, looks fine to us.

Hahahaha! :lol:

Thanks df! I needed to lighten up and get a good chuckle! :wavey:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
December fire, heehee :lol: :D :devil: good pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1474172856|4077959 said:
Kenny, I apologized for this in my Moradi thread from today. My pics are uploaded from a PC, etc per my thread. I hate that it happened, I spent time uploading all those pics! :errrr:

I took all those Moradi pics with my Samsung Galaxy 6, so a droid system. If I upload pics again, I'll try the fixes people have had success with here.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
kenny|1474186470|4077984 said:
Thanks RW.

Actually, I was saying the opposite. I only have the problem with PS so I don't have any reason to be unhappy with my iPhone. I love that dang thing! And having now done the test, I know the reason I rarely have the problem posting photos to PS from my iMac is because I edit most of the photos on my desktop. So there's something about that editing process that resolves the problem with PS. And now that Kristie has said she had the sideways pics with an Android phone, it becomes less an Apple problem and more of a PS problem.

I can understand how something less than great photography bugs you. It's a skill you take seriously, and you look at it with a more discerning eye. I feel that way about grammar and spelling and punctuation. But I do my best to push that feeling aside because lots of people have interesting things to say even if there are typos or misspellings or they don't care about the which/that rule. That said, you do need to slow your roll because your reaction was disproportionate to the size of the problem. I'd hate to see people stop posting photos because they don't pass the Kenny test.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results