shape
carat
color
clarity

shopping for BM dresses

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JR320

Shiny_Rock
Did you choose your bridesmaid dresses on your own, or did you let the girls help you decide?

I would really love their input (I''ve worn my share of bridesmaid dresses I was not excited about... haha) but I think 6 opinions will be too many! I''m not sure how to handle it.

My biggest concern is finding something that my sister will feel comfortable in. She had a teeny tiny waist, but is very well endowed and despises dress shopping. What might be a good style for her to try for her body type?

My other bridesmaids have very different body types - curvy, small chest, etc. I want them all to feel comfortable, so I was thinking of having them all choose a dress in the same color/fabric/designer/length with whatever style they love. But I really haven''t found a line that has many options within those parameters, so I thought I would put this out there for the pricescope experts

Lately, I love the Wtoo line from Watters. I haven''t checked on prices yet though.

I really love this one in the Tandoori color, but I don''t think it will work well for my sister.
7.gif

http://www.watters.com/product.php?coll=wtoo&showid=751&style=320

katamari

Ideal_Rock
WToo is the affordable line, so it shouldn''t be too pricey.

I think sweetheart necklines look way better on us busty chicks than a straight across line. But, I think it is variable in what she will feel comfortable in. I personally appreciate being able to wear a supportive bra.

I think your BMs might appreciate giving you input, but I personally wouldn''t like the entirety of the decision.

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 11:27:10 PM
Author: katamari

I think sweetheart necklines look way better on us busty chicks than a straight across line. But, I think it is variable in what she will feel comfortable in. I personally appreciate being able to wear a supportive bra.

I think your BMs might appreciate giving you input, but I personally wouldn''t like the entirety of the decision.
Ditto.

I chose the bm dress b/c I fell in love with a dress that should be flattering on them on based on the style and I loved the fabric and the material so there was no other choice for me. Besides, we are all spread out over different countries that it would have been too difficult to coordinate to try to make a decision based on preferences etc. I did show my bms the dress that I was thinking of and had them "sign off" on it so to speak. They all really liked it so that was good. If they didn''t, we would have had to revisit the choice to figure something else out.

My cousin, however, approached it differently. She gave her bms a choice. She told them the designer and then asked them to pick dresses. The only parameters she provided were the material, the length and the color. All of us chose different dresses and it looked great. While I found it a bit arduous to try to find a dress for me and would have appreciated her just picking whatever she liked the best, some of the other bms really appreciated the opportunity to select something that they found flattering on them.

Don''t get too discouraged. Go with your gut and try to select something that is a good compromise ... something you like and your girls will feel good wearing.

Good luck!
35.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 11:27:10 PM
Author: katamari

Ditto on the sweetheart neckline. You put big boobs in a straight neckline and all of a sudden it''s ATTACK OF THE UNI-BOOB!!

As for my MOH, I picked out a black satin Calvin Klein dress from Dillards that just happened to be perfect and ON SALE. Doesn''t get much better than that!

I agree with the idea of letting the girls picking out their own style in the same color. I think that usually works very well. I don''t have any suggestions on brands though since I haven''t had to look.
7.gif

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Forgot to mention - Alfred Angelo bm''s line has quite an extensive selection and I found the various Priscilla of Boston bm lines (Vineyard Collection, Melissa Sweet, PoB etc) to have great selection and colors too.

I really like the dress that you have selected and think that that type of dress could be flattering on most body types/shapes. If not, it''s nothing that a minor alteration here or there couldn''t take care of.

dcgator

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 1:58:57 AM
Author: Sparkalicious
Forgot to mention - Alfred Angelo bm''s line has quite an extensive selection and I found the various Priscilla of Boston bm lines (Vineyard Collection, Melissa Sweet, PoB etc) to have great selection and colors too.

I really like the dress that you have selected and think that that type of dress could be flattering on most body types/shapes. If not, it''s nothing that a minor alteration here or there couldn''t take care of.
I second the Alfred Angelo BM dresses and the POB, althougth the POB tended to be a bit more pricey.

While choice can be nice, with that many girls it can definitely get outta hand. I have 5 bridesmaids, so this is what I did: I researched BM''s dresses that were not horribly expensive and still had good choices. Once I found a few stores that carried said lines, I took my MOH (sister) and another BM with me to about 3 or 4 stores. Those two just happened to have exact opposite body types, so I figured if something looked good on those two, it would work for everybody
2.gif

I let those two run wild in the stores, and pick out some cute dresses (w/in my color choice). Once they picked out 3 possible dresses they liked, I took the rest of my bridesmaids (in a diff. state) to look at those dresses. Then, based on what looked best on them, I picked a dress. They all get measured for them, and then I ordered them online at a HUGE discount.

So, I would recommend giving the girls some choice in the matter, but try to narrow down the choices, if you know what I mean. Good luck
9.gif

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
Haven''t read the other replies yet, so don''t know if someone suggested this:

I gave my 7 bridesmaids the color and fabric from Watters (had to be same fabric!) and let them choose their own style within those parameters. They will all have their dresses the same length, but will have different necklines/styles.

I wanted to let them have some kind of freedom. I wanted to make it easy on them and stress-free, and since they are paying for them, I wanted them to choose what looks good on them.

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
Forgot to add that Watters is available through www.netbride.com for about 20% off retail price. I got my dresses in a month ago and the order was perfect!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results