shape
carat
color
clarity

Shaving down a ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Has anyone had a ring shaved down? My FI and I have matching plain WG bands from our engagement party with his family in his native country, but they''re a pipe-cut style rather than comfort-fit. I can deal with mine because I''m used to wearing rings, but FI can''t stand the edges on his. He wants to use it as his wedding band but he said it needs to be rounded off or he''ll never be able to wear it. I''m just wondering whether any decent jeweler should be able to do this, and how much to anticipate spending to have it rounded and re-plated with rhodium. The rings were pretty cheap (we paid around US$400 for the pair) so I''m afraid of having the work cost nearly as much as the ring did originally.

Also, if any Philly PSers read this, do you have a recommendation on where I should go?

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
hi octavia :)

i have the legacy platinum band from tiffany, and, altho it''s a thick-ish ring with considerable weight, it''s a flat profile and not a comfort fit. about 6 months ago i took it to a jeweler and had the inside shaved down to curve the edges, making it much closer to a comfort fit profile on its inner surface. i think it cost me $50 (maybe 40 - i cant remember exactly) - and was a very simple procedure. i cant imagine it being any more difficult for white gold altho, as you say, it would need to be replated with rhodium. i had this done at an expensive jewelry store; if i had taken it to my local guy i think he probably would have done the whole thing for $50.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, whitby! I guess I just need to scope out some local jewelers and get some estimates.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
yeah, apparently it''s quite a simple procedure, it was suggested to me when I found my e-ring too thick. Doesn''t look like it''s been tampered with at all.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I had my engagement ring shaved down to match the wedding ring I already had. It was pretty simple, and he only charged me $15! I recommended that to another pricescoper who also had it done with great results.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2009 4:43:01 PM
Author: whitby_2773

hi octavia :)

i have the legacy platinum band from tiffany, and, altho it''s a thick-ish ring with considerable weight, it''s a flat profile and not a comfort fit. about 6 months ago i took it to a jeweler and had the inside shaved down to curve the edges, making it much closer to a comfort fit profile on its inner surface. i think it cost me $50 (maybe 40 - i cant remember exactly) - and was a very simple procedure. i cant imagine it being any more difficult for white gold altho, as you say, it would need to be replated with rhodium. i had this done at an expensive jewelry store; if i had taken it to my local guy i think he probably would have done the whole thing for $50.
That''s a great idea - I may try that with my wedding band. It''s channel set, so it''s kind of a "squared" band, and it''s pretty uncomfortable compared to my comfort fit ering. I will have to talk to my jeweler ...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results