shape
carat
color
clarity

Seriously, what is a RIGHT HAND ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mmpawnshop

Rough_Rock
I need help to explain to consumers what is a right hand ring, when I believe there isn''t a true definition to a right hand ring. To the best of my knowledge, it could be any type of ring but most of the time it''s a solitaire, right? If I''m wrong please correct me. I had a client come in and stated that he wanted a right hand ring. Ok? So, I asked "do you have an idea of what type of cut you''re looking for," and he states "you know a right hand ring. Something that has three stones," making hand gestures to visually show me what he believes to be a right hand ring. So, I pulled out a three stone ring, hoping that''s what he''s looking for. Then he states "That''s not a right hand ring." He was obviously frustrated now. I tried a few more rings but it wasn''t what he was looking for. He eventually walked out frustrated since I didn''t show him anything that was a right hand ring. Seriously, can someone explain to me what is a right hand ring since it was started as a way of marketing but now has turn into a term for buying rings.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Jenny,

Well, to me there isn''t a strict definition of a right hand ring other than it is a ring that I wear soley on my right hand. It could be a solitaire or a three stone or a gemstone of somekind or a cluster ring or...or...or. But having said that I know that there has been marketing done in some of the chain stores regarding right hand rings and these rings all seem to be of the same type. It''s hard to describe but they look like they have several small bands with small diamonds attached at random to each of the band. I''m sure if you google "right hand ring" you will see what I mean. Maybe that is what your customer was looking for?

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jenny, this is like what I was talking about.......

righthandring1.jpg

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
For me, a RHR is simply a ring you wear on your right hand. They vary tremendously but I think in general they are not solataires, as many women don''t want their RHR to look like an E-ring.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
aright hand ring to me is something you wear on the right hand that is NOT a wedding or engagement ring. It can be of any design but it is a just because type ring. Stacking bands, cocktail ring, etc, just not a wedding ring. Something that you wear for fun more than for a specific significance. This is what I think of when I think of a right hand ring.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
DItto what they said. A marketer decided it was a great way to appeal to unmarried ladies in the late 90''s/early 00''s, "your left hand shows your dedication to him, your right shows your dedication to you..." or something to that effect and so the label began. But it really is just a non-engagement ring worn on the right hand. I wear an antique RHR that has two diamonds that were once my great-great-grandmother''s earrings, she turned them into a diamond project and voile I have a RHR that is about 100 year old. Maybe that''s where my love of diamonds stems from!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/6/2007 11:11:34 AM
Author: diamondfan
aright hand ring to me is something you wear on the right hand that is NOT a wedding or engagement ring. It can be of any design but it is a just because type ring. Stacking bands, cocktail ring, etc, just not a wedding ring. Something that you wear for fun more than for a specific significance. This is what I think of when I think of a right hand ring.
This is my definition, too.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2007 11:31:21 AM
Author: KimberlyH
DItto what they said. A marketer decided it was a great way to appeal to unmarried ladies in the late 90's/early 00's, 'your left hand shows your dedication to him, your right shows your dedication to you...' or something to that effect and so the label began. But it really is just a non-engagement ring worn on the right hand. I wear an antique RHR that has two diamonds that were once my great-great-grandmother's earrings, she turned them into a diamond project and voile I have a RHR that is about 100 year old. Maybe that's where my love of diamonds stems from!
Yeah, basically the same opinion here... a RHR is simply just a ring for your right hand... not an engagement or wedding ring (traditionally, at least in this country, considered "left hand" rings.)

I remember the marketing hype a few years back... and I still see some ads for RHRs. The ads also target married women, too... heck, DeBeers is an equal opportunity propagandist and wouldn't want to leave out anyone!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

ETA: BTW Jenny... I think that (while anything goes, of course), in general the LEAST likely style of a RHR would be a solitaire as solitaires are traditionally an engagement ring style. (Just my humble 2 cents!)

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
To me a RHR is anything but a ering, or wedding band. It''s a ring you wear on your right hand. Some women by their own RHR. The left hand is marriage related and the right is your own, all to what you want. I think that''s a marketing ploy, but have always felt that if you can treat yourself why not?? Anyway, I have seen all kinds of RHR''s . It''s what ever floats your boat. But don''t see them as solitaires, could just be me??

Larissa

Shiny_Rock
Ditto everyone else. It''s just a fun ring.

I actually wear my engagement ring on my right hand so no fun ring for me!!

lisaC

Brilliant_Rock
Jenny,
A right hand ring to me can be any ring except my wedding set. My younger sister wears my mom''s wedding set on her right hand. I wear a 3 stone jade ring on my right hand if I''m wearing my wedding set but on my left if I don''t. I don''t think it has to have precious stones- I''d love to own a russian wedding ring someday and I''d wear it on either hand- I''ve worn my eternity ring on my right also.
I guess what I''m trying to say is the guy didn''t have a clue and was afraid to mess up.
1.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
it''s a ring you wear on your right hand - you can twist and manipulate the meaning however you want to market it. One method is to convince women they need a feminist show of independence buying for themselves what their fiance''s couldn''t afford or wouldn''t afford, or a single woman''s desire for a big rock.... they''re not always solitaires.... it really is just a ring you wear on your right hand.

mmpawnshop

Rough_Rock
So, what should I say to convince people that any ring can be a RHR?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
To me the definition of a RHR is very broad...to me a RHR is a ring that you wear your right hand that doesn''t look like an engagement ring...it could be a band, a colored stone ring, a three stone ring, anything really.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock

Date:
1/6/2007 6:06:08 PM
Author: mmpawnshop
Just say what has been said above... "anything goes!" If they are LOOKING for a new ring, and find one they like, that should be enough!
2.gif

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2007 6:06:08 PM
Author: mmpawnshop

Tell them that there is no such thing as the ring police and that nobody will be ripping the ring from their finger because it may or may not match whatever retailers use as a definition of RHR. :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results