shape
carat
color
clarity

Self-checkout lanes - Love or Hate em?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are sweeping the UK and I'm really not that keen, for the reasons many have already mentioned above.

I pay cash for 95% of stuff to give me at least some privacy, yet I'm told that makes my bank statements look suspicious, because cash is only used for things one wouldn't want recorded on a bank statement? Okaaaaaay… :|

I always use bank clerks rather than machines because I'd rather ensure demand remains for human staff, yet one clerk has implied that that is not how it works, presumably on the basis that if the branch is not more efficient at reducing costs and increasing profit, they will close it - which is ridiculous. I also resent using cash machines and paying in machines, because most now have built-in cameras to record you, and the HSBC versions appear to have lasers in them - I can only presume because they are scanning for facial recognition purposes but not announcing it?? :mad:

I will use self service tills in a supermarket if I have to / if it is quicker and I'm in a hurry, but I won't use the ones that have a camera and screen pointed directly at your face, like you're a criminal who must be scanned constantly.

Meanwhile shopping centres/malls and local council CCTV control rooms are employing Live Gait Analysis and Live Facial Recognition to tag and record your movements across an area 'just in case', and there's little you can do to preserve your privacy in that situation unless you alter your walking style regularly and wear an enormous hat.

This 'presumed guilt' unless you are willing to openly submit to being recorded at every moment of your life makes me angry - have people not read 1984? Do people not care? Do people not see what is happening in China and other similar countries, where freedom of speech and movement is supressed through constant monitoring and turning neighbours against each other??

[/rant]

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate them.

The problem is the people in front of you generally don't know how to do it and slow the line up incredibly so. And then the "helper" watching has to go over and do it for them defeating the purpose of self checkout.

It's not faster where we live so I prefer going to a human being and having them check us out.

FWIW I prefer packing to save everyone time and so while they are ringing us up either my dh or I am packing the bags. Easy peasy.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughters who are 10 and 12 usually take their money when we go to Target so they can shop independently. They always use the self check and prefer it to the regular line. This worries me a little in that I really think they preder to avoid interacting with the checkers. Maybe I'm wrong. Anyway they convinced me to try the self check one day. Let's just say that it was reminiscent of a scene on I Love Lucy. The girls were mortified. Hehehe :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughters who are 10 and 12 usually take their money when we go to Target so they can shop independently. They always use the self check and prefer it to the regular line. This worries me a little in that I really think they preder to avoid interacting with the checkers. Maybe I'm wrong. Anyway they convinced me to try the self check one day. Let's just say that it was reminiscent of a scene on I Love Lucy. The girls were mortified. Hehehe :lol:

Hahaha I think I love you @Gussie. You're a girl after my own heart. I love lucy and all. :kiss:

igoofed.gif

ilovelucychocolates.gif

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like self-checkout if I only have 20 items or less.

I dont think that store in the video should have self-checkout if they cant do any better than what he was going through. Didnt seem ready for public
use.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate them, but I've found some big box stores give you almost no other option. They'll have 1 actual cashier and 30 people waiting to check out. There will be 20 self-checkout spaces. I refuse to use them when the choice is more even. About the cart thing, funny, we don't have that where I live now, but when I lived on the west coast, they had that feature 20 years ago. They made it $1 though, because people wouldn't care so much about a quarter. :roll2:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I utilize self-check lanes in grocery stores - I prefer to bag my own items as much more often than not clerks/baggers bag my carefully chosen items in a random fashion (i.e, yogurt containers turned upside down or on their sides, cleaning products in the same bag with produce, cardboard items (cereal, crackers) in the same bag with frozen items, berry containers placed so precariously one corner pops up and the berries spill out ... ).

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOVE. My Kroger is 80% self checkout now and it’s awesome. You can use any form of payment, and purchase alcohol. There is always an attendant on duty to help with coupons or anything else. Kroger employees are unionized here, and most of the store associates at the one I frequent have been there for many years and have excellent benefits. My store also has order ahead and pickup and delivery, and those employ lots of people as well. I use them when I have a big order. At Target I use the self checkouts when I have just a few things; otherwise I shop ahead of time online and either pick up my stuff at the service desk or they bring it out to the parking lot and load in your car.

Nobody is losing jobs where I shop...I notice a LOT of complaints about the self checkouts at Walmart—that they’re taking away Jobs. Before the self checkouts, the same people were bitching about how there were never enough cashiers open. Now Walmart offers pickup and delivery...somebody is in there filling orders,ringing them up, and bringing them to the customer. Seems like sole job creation happening there, not loss. But maybe I don’t understand retail. Only worked in it for like a thousand years, so.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also prefer not to have to interact with cashiers. Every single time I use a human cashier, they fail to thank me for my business. Every time. It’s so ridiculous—having been a retail manager for many years, I always trained my staff to thank customers at the end of every transaction.

Target cashiers are unfailingly rude and typically busy talking to each other. There is ONE cashier whose line I will use. He’s autistic and he usually tells you he’s autistic and that he hates small talk and doesn’t actually care how your day is going or if you have a good one so he’s not going to tell you that at the end, either. I love him.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love them! In and out quickly!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe it's different here @monarch64. I can't remember a time when a cashier was impolite. Most of the time they are very friendly and we chit chat as they check me out. "Have a nice day" is as common as breathing here.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe it's different here @monarch64. I can't remember a time when a cashier was impolite. Most of the time they are very friendly and we chit chat as they check me out. "Have a nice day" is as common as breathing here.

Same here. Everyone we check out with is super nice and always asks if we found everything we needed and thank you and have a lovely day and well all that good stuff. We’re in the northeast.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
At the grocery I shop in the checkers and baggers are extremely friendly and helpful. I always choose to have that human interaction unless the lines are very long and I only have a few items. We’re becoming more and more automated I want to at least know how to use them though.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Monnie...have you been wearing your "I hate cashiers" shirt again?....LOL

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will use the self checkout if I have just a few items (5 or less) with items that has a bar code and does not need to be weighed.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Monnie...have you been wearing your "I hate cashiers" shirt again?....LOL

Now you’ve given me an idea I might have to implement! Ha!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dislike self check out lanes and avoid them if I can

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aldi.......
took me years to understand the concept as I used to shop by “brand” and thought their alternatives insufficient and probably poorer quality because they were cheap.
Wrong.
I love their skin care range. It is really good. Their face wipes are half the price of others. Their Christmas range for making up hampers for family is amazing and yummy.
But it is the cashiers that amuse me.
Somewhere there must be Cashier Olympics and Aldi only employs those that make the Supermarket finals.
No none but no one can pack their trolley as fast as an Aldi Cashier scans! Even if I try and prep with carry bags nicely placed in the trolley ready to accept, the items fly through scanning at twice the rate I can pack.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the interactions with the checkout staff, and would only use self checkout if I only have a few items.

DK :))

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aldi and Trader Joe's don't throw me out for bringing Bibi. :dance::clap:

It's nice that Aldi lets their cashiers sit down.
Aldi has an aisle with rotating surprise household merchandise, often at great prices.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At the risk of getting myself stoned... If (some of the) cashier jobs go to automation doesn't that give the people who would otherwise be cashiers the opportunity to do other things? (Note I say "other things" in a very generic way, but of course the insinuation is a whole slew of stuff like "more meaningful" -- whatever that might mean; "more important" -- whatever that might mean; "more satisfying" -- again, whatever that might mean. And yes, I do realize those definitions will vary for everyone.)

I guess I think of this as progress. There are no longer people who deliver ice... or who drive horse drawn carriages as genuine transportation (in the society that I live in anyway -- downtown Chicago), etc.

I do agree that there is a place for a real live cashier (examples have been given in this thread about using coupons, buying alcohol, stuff like that) but if an automated checkout can be used efficiently I'm all for it.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a person that struggles at times with social anxiety, I appreciate the option to go to a self-checkout lane.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At the risk of getting myself stoned... If (some of the) cashier jobs go to automation doesn't that give the people who would otherwise be cashiers the opportunity to do other things? (Note I say "other things" in a very generic way, but of course the insinuation is a whole slew of stuff like "more meaningful" -- whatever that might mean; "more important" -- whatever that might mean; "more satisfying" -- again, whatever that might mean. And yes, I do realize those definitions will vary for everyone.)

I guess I think of this as progress. There are no longer people who deliver ice... or who drive horse drawn carriages as genuine transportation (in the society that I live in anyway -- downtown Chicago), etc.

I do agree that there is a place for a real live cashier (examples have been given in this thread about using coupons, buying alcohol, stuff like that) but if an automated checkout can be used efficiently I'm all for it.

I get what you mean. I think I feel similarly but have a hard time sticking it in words. Some new jobs include designing the machine, building the machine, writing.tue software to control it, keeping it up to date, stocking the cash, repairing as needed, training people to use it (like those who monitor and help in the area), and advertising the "benefit" to customers.

I do enjoy them as I am much better at bagging than many around here. No more squished fruit or bread is nice. It also cuts down on (potentially) sick people touching the stuff I am buying. Several stores around me have only self checkout either all day or part of the day.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I use both....my decision is predicated on which line is the shortest...

cheers--Sharon

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I have something small and both are open, I'd goto a person. If a person is busy, I'll goto the checkout. If I have a lot I like going to the cashier because they bag it for me lol.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Actually this is a cultural misunderstanding. ALDI is a German supermarket. They brought their own equipment. Here, there have never been employees anywhere to return the individual carts (they do have people to manage their cart park, who bring the carts to the different stations, etc) . One was supposed to just do it oneself. People got sloppier and someone invented that consignment system. It's in all European supermarkets now.
No jobs lost.

People were surprised when Costco came here. They also brought their own carts and there was *no* consignment. Still no one to take my cart though. Just a sign : please bring back here...

Our Costco’s have employees that collect the carts and bring them to the entrances. They also have return areas for the carts throughout the parking lot.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our Costco’s have employees that collect the carts and bring them to the entrances. They also have return areas for the carts throughout the parking lot.

I know! But the Euro one hasn't (there's only one in continental Europe... Right in my area, YAY)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Same at the Costco at the Jersey Shore and the Brooklyn Costco too. Costco rocks. In all ways. They treat their employees very well too and I hope that long continues. I think it shows in the mood of the employees as they are always cheerful and energetic and upbeat. Good energy at Costco.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aldi and Trader Joe's don't throw me out for bringing Bibi. :dance::clap:

It's nice that Aldi lets their cashiers sit down.
Aldi has an aisle with rotating surprise household merchandise, often at great prices.

That is amazing and I would absolutely go out of my way to frequent a place that allowed my furbabies to join me. I love Trader Joe's. Just went there yesterday afternoon. Love their products and their prices and their employees are super nice.

You have convinced me to try Aldis again. We tried it once before but I didn't love it and now I don't remember why. But good for them allowing their employees to sit. I always thought it was uncivilized making the cashiers stand all day. Exhausting.

It reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where Kramer gave the security guard a chair to sit down and the place got robbed haha. Does anyone remember that episode? So funny.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results