shape
carat
color
clarity

Say your kid had a teacher you really liked and....

amoline

Shiny_Rock
Ehhh... if a teacher had an entire staff dedicated to him or her, and also claimed possession of "great and unmatched wisdom," then maybe we could think about being less forgiving... but that's a can of worms I won't open :)

Also, fun tidbit -- do you know the difference between "that" and "which" when used as conjunctions? Few do, off the top of their heads. :D

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The words I'll never get straight is lie, lay, lain, & laid.

But I cannot lie, at least I have an excuse for inability to things straight. :lol:

You are funny. I missed you when you were off Pricescope.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ehhh... if a teacher had an entire staff dedicated to him or her, and also claimed possession of "great and unmatched wisdom," then maybe we could think about being less forgiving... but that's a can of worms I won't open :)

Also, fun tidbit -- do you know the difference between "that" and "which" when used as conjunctions? Few do, off the top of their heads. :D
Most of the responses do not equate teacher’s misspelling or misuse of grammar with “wisdom.” In fact, that is what is why OP started this thread because he was concerned that if teacher can’t distinguish this grammar rule, then what else is she failing to teach?

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My spelling and grammar are things that are getting worse for me with age and the hard part is realizing it and not being able to change it. I've had to google single syllable words. It's somewhat shameful to me. This may be part of one of the medications I take, or part of one of the diseases I have, I've heard both things, but in reality it's really embarrassing and hard to take. YMMV. Not everyone loses these skills with age, but I have.
Hugs Lyra. I have a head injury and meds that get in the way of my ability to use proper grammar. I do my best. I am well aware of my short comings. It’s heartbreaking.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lyra and housecat.... wow. So sorry. I really didn’t consider that aspect. Not that I was ever really going to be able to correct her..... but this does add a very serious aspect that should be considered.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My pet peeve is when my phone spell corrects my swear words, so the words end up as something else. I have to type the actual word I want to use several times before it will write the word...

To put this into context, my best friend has just divorced a guy that was and is a complete @#$*..... so our texts usually contain a lot of swear words.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Additional potential considerations which may/may not have already been mentioned:

Some people have hand/finger/thumb dexterity issues and/or vision limitations which affect typing ability on tiny phone keyboards - my mom (due to age) and my younger sister (due to RA) have told me that their texting is constrained by their health issues.

Texting is not formal communication; abbreviations, acronyms, and slang are part and parcel of it - people type shortcut versions on purpose (i.e., ur welcome).

And, ditto on stupid Autocorrect.

I will add that another sister is hyperaware of typos and will send out "P.S." texts apologizing for the typo -- personally I find those follow-up P.S. texts both needless and annoying - YMMV.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
English is difficult and just when we think we have a good grip on it, it changes. Am I write, wright, rite, right?? One of my many pet peeves is when someone uses "they" or "them" when referring to a singular person due to lazy grammar habits. But along came non-binary gender pronouns and the use of the singular "they" "them" "their". The use of "they" as a non-binary singular pronoun has been added to Miriam Webster. I have yet to make peace with this change as it requires me to overcome a lifetime of training and my tongue actually cramps up when I refer to person as a "they". However, if someone requests I use a non-binary pronoun, I do so even whilst my brain is screaming "noooo pleeeeeeeze don't make me say it, pleeeeeeze prefer ze, sie, hir, co, pleeeeeeze don't make me call you a they" and then afterward I have to massage my poor cramped up tongue. I'm sure I'll get over it but I need more time.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My pet peeve is when my phone spell corrects my swear words, so the words end up as something else. I have to type the actual word I want to use several times before it will write the word...

To put this into context, my best friend has just divorced a guy that was and is a complete @#$*..... so our texts usually contain a lot of swear words.
That always ducking aggravates me

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Funny to read how forgiving many of you are and yet when Trump misspells in his tweets, all hell breaks loose.

You did not mention that the teacher was not writing for for publication as Trump is when he tweets. (Also: all hell doesn't break loose over Trump's poor spelling. I only wish it did when the man violated the Constitution, never mind when he misspelled a word.)

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lyra and housecat.... wow. So sorry. I really didn’t consider that aspect. Not that I was ever really going to be able to correct her..... but this does add a very serious aspect that should be considered.

We never really know what another person is going thru. Kindness can make a difference in the life of someone who may not be having a easy time.

@House Cat and @lyra , I’m so glad you are both here.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Today teachers do not enjoy the admiration of society as they once did. Rockdiamond has said that others in the school have complained about some teachers lack of proficiency in certain subject matter. Complaints abound about the skill of teachers today as evidenced by our students lack of skills measured by testing. I am not a grammar nut, but I do believe that the teacher ought to have a minimal skill set. I know other parents of young schoolage children that are appalled at the lack, in particular,r of spelling and grammar mistakes that come home with their children.

As evidenced on here, most posters welcomed Missy's help, and Kenny's help, with having to figure out proper word usage. I myself would appreciate some corrections, if I should misuse a word. .Along with Forte Kitty and Lyra we all make some mistakes which are unimportant in the kind of posting we do. But, a business letter ought not have errors like those written about. Nor should correspondence from a teacher. A simple message is to the benefit of the teacher, and I would bet on it(I'm a betting women), she won't be mad. It is for her benefit and the childrens benefit.

Annette

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You did not mention that the teacher was not writing for for publication as Trump is when he tweets. (Also: all hell doesn't break loose over Trump's poor spelling. I only wish it did when the man violated the Constitution, never mind when he misspelled a word.)
No. But it is her job to know the difference and communicating with parents is just as important as a publication. And yes. All hell breaks loose—every time the idiot makes a mistake. Spelling. Grammar. Several threads here dedicated to that. But I’m sure you are familiar with them. And no. I’m not his fan. But I’m just shocked how easily everyone is dismissing poster’s overall concern. That’s all.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Today teachers do not enjoy the admiration of society as they once did. Rockdiamond has said that others in the school have complained about some teachers lack of proficiency in certain subject matter. Complaints abound about the skill of teachers today as evidenced by our students lack of skills measured by testing. I am not a grammar nut, but I do believe that the teacher ought to have a minimal skill set. I know other parents of young schoolage children that are appalled at the lack, in particular,r of spelling and grammar mistakes that come home with their children.

As evidenced on here, most posters welcomed Missy's help, and Kenny's help, with having to figure out proper word usage. I myself would appreciate some corrections, if I should misuse a word. .Along with Forte Kitty and Lyra we all make some mistakes which are unimportant in the kind of posting we do. But, a business letter ought not have errors like those written about. Nor should correspondence from a teacher. A simple message is to the benefit of the teacher, and I would bet on it(I'm a betting women), she won't be mad. It is for her benefit and the childrens benefit.

Annette
This

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Maybe this will help. I hope my sharing this will not offend anyone.

A trick remember affect vs effect. Affect comes first alphabetically, and an action (to affect) has to occur before you can have a result-an effect.

This is a good way to remember affect as a verb vs. effect as a noun. However, affect can also be a noun and effect can also be a verb. As a noun, affect means emotional state: "the patient's affect displayed agitation." As a verb, effect means to bring about: "she will effect universal health care by taxing the rich."

I believe the following to be grammatically correct (but what do I know, I teach math).

Effecting a change whereby Daylight Savings Time stays in place all year long would have a favorable effect. Sleep patterns would not be adversely affected by clock changes, which would lead to most people having a more pleasant affect.

So yeah, it's no wonder there's so much confusion over these two words!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve got one for y’all......
Ensure versus insure

I say:
Ensure is to make something certain.
Insure relates to the business of insurance, involving paying premiums and making claims.

I see them often, but IMO incorrectly, used interchangeably.

Google has links to reports that some authorities claim they are interchangable.

Last edited:

amoline

Shiny_Rock
And, just to throw another wrench into the mix, in some places such as the UK, life insurance and life assurance are genuinely separate things!

Maria D is of course correct regarding the exceptions for both affect and effect.

Grammar is a lot of fun, but as my father loves to remind me, people only know it to the greatest extent that they must. I know plenty for duties as an English teacher; my father knows very little grammar, enough to "get by" he says. He also loves to throw the analogy at me that one does not need to know exactly how something works to use it, and he (correctly) points out my significant lack of knowledge about how a car works, runs, or can be fixed, but I still drive one wherever I need to go. :)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, what could the British possibly know about the English language?

Crikey, anything they like they call "brilliant", and they even misspell math, maths. :nono: :doh:

Last edited:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a good way to remember affect as a verb vs. effect as a noun. However, affect can also be a noun and effect can also be a verb. As a noun, affect means emotional state: "the patient's affect displayed agitation." As a verb, effect means to bring about: "she will effect universal health care by taxing the rich."

I believe the following to be grammatically correct (but what do I know, I teach math).

Effecting a change whereby Daylight Savings Time stays in place all year long would have a favorable effect. Sleep patterns would not be adversely affected by clock changes, which would lead to most people having a more pleasant affect.

So yeah, it's no wonder there's so much confusion over these two words!

You seem to have mastered them. It is not impossible. If only people would read more. Although, of course, modern authors are all writing poorly now. I cringe when I read novels.So reading modern authors would not help people learn good grammar.

Would someone educate the public on averse versus adverse?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Adverse means something is working against you. Describes events or effects (adverse effects). Describing something as "adverse" means it is your opponent, or "adversary."

Averse means feeling opposition to something. Describes people in relation to something--"risk-averse."
"He was averse to electing a woman President."

;-)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, what could the British possibly know about the English language?

Crikey, anything they like they call "brilliant", and they even misspell math, maths. :nono: :doh:

I am that ******* who says "maths" even though I'm an American, because I feel it's just a more accurate abbreviation of "mathematics." Ok, I don't say it that way to actually BE an arsehole; I just like saying it. Much like I still call the weather "pants" sometimes. Several years ago there was a poster here who taught us the meaning of "pants," and I loved the expression. You can steal it from my vernacular over my cold, dead body!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The plot thickens... ( not really)

I had the opportunity to write to the teacher today- my email
"We can never express how grateful we are xxxxx (teacher's name)- so it's us who need to tell you
YOU'RE WELCOME!!!!
"

Her response- I'm copying and pasting
"My pleasure. We are on he same team!
Best,
xxxxx
"

So it's clearly an issue of lack of spell checking, or maybe writing from a phone......and she's a great teacher regardless.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread awakened my recollection of pet peeves in the realm of grammatical errors. I don't bother with the small stuff. Anyone can confuse "there", "they're' , and "their". However, just as the everlasting misuse of "averse" and "adverse' has me going mad, so does the misuse of "disinterest". Supposedly educated people, attorneys and government officials, misuse this word every day.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results