shape
carat
color
clarity

Say your kid had a teacher you really liked and....

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rockdiamond I am a teacher (as you know), since you have a good relationship with her, I would probably just reply you're* with a smile face. Easy way to correct it without it being too much. It's what I do myself if I realize I've sent something with a spelling or grammar error (especially with swipe to text).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy, Did you notice I didn't capitalize the m in your name?

I'm not correct, but I did that to respect your apparent wishes.

Language is complex.

Haha who knew?

FYI I have no preference whatsoever. Feel free to write my name with or without a capital letter. Just please don't use all capitals or I will feel you are yelling at me. :lol:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is so easy for Canadians.
"Your welcome."
"No, you're welcome."
We get into thank you wars daily. On the subject of auto correct, my phone actually failed me big time this week! I thought I typed "my big...". It allowed a racial slur instead. :eek2: Luckily it was to my daughter.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I taught my 93 almost 94 year old mother how to text. On her own..she shortens her words like a middle schooler when she texts. She uses ur for your! She knows what she’s doing though...She has an old cell phone that you have to hit the button numerous times to get the letter you want. She said it was easier her way...hahaha

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is so easy for Canadians.
"Your welcome."
"No, you're welcome."

We get into thank you wars daily. On the subject of auto correct, my phone actually failed me big time this week! I thought I typed "my big...". It allowed a racial slur instead. :eek2: Luckily it was to my daughter.

This is a perfect reply I think. And haha on the thank you wars. Same here. My dh says sometimes you just have to let the other person have the final text. I just don't want to be rude and leave them hanging if you kwim. I still don't have texting down being the old dog I am.
:wink2:

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I don't think you should correct her. I am sure she knows proper grammar; her phone doesn't. The grammar police have way too much time on their hands. Be ecstatic your child has a good teacher and let it go. Just mho. :)

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reminds me of this joke, lol

A snobbish English teacher was sitting in an Atlanta airport coffee shop waiting for her flight back to Connecticut, when a friendly Southern Belle sat down next to her.

"Where y'all goin' to?" asked the Southern Belle.

Turning her nose in the air, the snob replied "I don't answer people who end their sentences with prepositions."

The Southern Belle thought a moment, and tried again.

"Where y'all goin' to, BITCH?"

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I care greatly about grammar. I also care about people's feelings. I was amazed that some people who contributed to this thread equated not correcting the teacher's grammar in her e-mail with a lack of interest in grammar.

In my opinion, there is a time a place for everything.

I usually do not correct to grammar of other posters on Pricescope. I once attempted to make a joke out of the grammar of a very erudite Pricescope member's grammar, thinking that she would not be offended because she would know her grammar was fabulous and that I held her in high esteem.I was wrong. (Never assume.) She was offended.

I will try to keep my corrections of other people's grammar to places where I feel it is appropriate, for example when I am teaching them. Of course if I am in a fight with someone and things get vicious, I may use my opponent's bad grammar up as a weapon. I am not a saint. ;))

In summary, never in a million years would I write back to correct this teacher's grammar. I consider it rude.

AGBF

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You know what......I’ve been stewing on for a few days but this morning I made a decision. I called the bored of Ejukashun to cumplayn

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, where did she get her degree? is she a millenial? my 2 boys are 32 and 28 and the 32 year old would know how to spell, but not the 28, and the 28 yr old is making close to 180K a year in Manhattan.. my husband was a computer scientist and he could have spelled it as we are OK Boomers! but I would investigate more thoroughly and if she is a dummy then I'd bring it to the attention of the asst principal.. she may just have been busy.. (hope so).. maybe young people don't learn contractions anymore?

She's amazing.
Responsive.
Plus, I give anyone who can spend that many hours locked in a room with 16 10 year olds more credit than almost any other job I can think of....
Teachers should make more than CEO's IMO ...
In any event
Say your kid had a teacher that wrote you an email, to which you replied
"Thank You!!"

And she responded
"Your welcome"

I'm sure I'm probably OCD or whatever neurosis causes this kind of thing to really bother me....
Anyway, would you reply and correct the teacher?
BTW_ this has happened a bunch of times and I have always just decided it's better to keep my tongue.....

If my kid wrote this, I'd correct it.....

Last edited:

JJB.Terry

Rough_Rock
Trade
In haste I accidentally accepted a name incorrectly into autocorrect “dictionary” if you have had this happen to you, you can reset your auto correct on iPhones:
Setting > General > Reset > Reset Keyboard Dictionary

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dang, to ME it sticks out like a sore thumb, but I probably spent hours as a good little catholic elementary school kid memorizing this stuff... but I also thought it was funny !

Let me give it a try and see what you think...by the way, we've been to dinner together- and on trips- she also taught my older son. So we're friends....and she's a hoot.

Hi Fannie ( not her real name- but I can use her name)
You know my respect for you is boundless....you've done such an amazing job with both boys- we all love you.
I'm totally OCD....little things drive me crazy.... Anyway your an amazing teacher, I wish I had you're strength.....lol!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy my boys say this!!! ON ACCIDENT, jeezus mary and joseph (my mother once explained to me that if one writes Jeezus instead of Jesus it wasn't swearing TRUTH Irish mother).. anyway I always say to them "Oh were they riding on a bike?" howd do you ON an accident, BY ACCIDENT.. So things change, I don't :) xo

I also notice that some expressions/grammar rules/spelling has changed due to popular culture. Things that were once not "proper" grammar are now accepted and embraced as OK. I wonder if the your vs you're is now acceptable because it is shorter and easier to text. And with texts abbreviations are encouraged. Texts tend to include lazier spelling/abbreviations and punctuation from what I see.

I cannot think of examples right now as it's early here and I am sleepy but the word gifting is now acceptable. Gift is not a verb but now it is. I don't love it but everyone uses it.

The rules change based on what used and popular. All language changes over time and grammar is modified. It's in the hands of the newer generations.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Seeing as how I honestly antagonized over this, I truly appreciate the dialog folks....thank you all!

I think the teacher is about 55+- ( I 'll ask her next time I see her...NOT)
I just mentioned this to Sandra and she told me that the teacher is 60.
Point is- she's not wet behind the ears.......
My wife also mentioned that other parents had complained about the same type of issues to administrators already...

Does PCness, freedom, and equality now mean everyone can make up their own spelling and grammar?
Is marking down little Jonny's math quiz because he wrote 2+2=5 now a thing of the past?
Are we stunting little Jonny's potential by forcing him to learn 2+2=4?

These are serious questions.
I think Kenny's point here is, for me, a big part of the issue.
Personally I take a lot of care and effort to use proper form when writing. I see it as a reflection on a person's attention to care, and I have to say it- their literacy. Not that I feel a persons' literacy has anything to do with the quality of character or other super important aspects.
But it does seem to me that a lack of literacy can have costs. Costs that I prefer to shield my kids from.....
I'm not going to say a word to the teacher ( at least till my kid is in a different grade:) but I do see it as something serious......maybe I'll gift her something...lol

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Some people have a compulsion to correct other people. My husband and his entire family, for example. I dunno, it’s a compulsion but it feels often to me like a power trip and a way to reinforce a fervently believed superior set of learning. I even get corrected when I try to explain the meaning of words to my nephew out loud. Eg they correct my definition, so that someone learns the right thing not the wrong thing. With no thanks that I’m actually trying to explain something Eg communicate AT ALL. No matter, their definition is marginally better than mine. Best not to have people learn from mediocrity. (This is what I sense that they think...)

The point to me, in your example, is that communication was done by a teacher who teaches dozens of ten year olds all day every day. And she actually corresponded with you. That’s different than a letter to the editor.

When I see small errors like this I think she was writing fast and didn’t have time to triple check. Also, some people actually think “Your welcome” is correct. And it is grammatically correct, if you look at it as an abbreviated form of a polite colloquial response that somehow became changed in someone’s or some culture’s mind over time. Sort of like the phrase “Thank You” becoming “Thanks. Maybe there is a better example.

I think the only response would be something like a joke/funny response like those suggested above. I personally wouldn’t correct someone like a teacher because I wouldn’t want to insult her. But when you do the joke, blame your compulsive need to correct people’s grammar so that she knows this is about you, not her.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Agonized, not antagonized.

See?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in the leave it alone group. For instance, what if the teacher used a text-to-speech software. We all know those have some interesting ways of spelling things.

A decent chunk of my job is about accessibility and if something is or isn't accessible or even easy to understand.

For instance, # doesn't mean the same thing in all screen reading software. One might call it number, another might call it pound. yet another may call it something different depended on how you customize the software. Also Your and You're might actually be heard the same depending on your custom settings.

And I'm sure there's things y'all don't want to hear how I have to make a screen reader read text properly..... thats a whole other all of wax.

So I think you should cut teacher a break. Technology is only as good as its developers. Technology is a constant evolution. Even with all its imperfections, I love text to speech a lot.

FWIW I'm a craptastic speller...

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm still going through a contentious divorce with a custody dispute and I have a 2nd grader whose father is very "involved" at the school. By "involved" I mean he is constantly hovering and criticizing all parts of the curriculum, the staff, and the school system itself. He is, to say the least, not well-regarded.

It's not about being PC at all. It's about politics. School is anything BUT politically correct, especially when the overwhelming majority of educators are women who take their jobs very seriously. Now you're dealing with the hens in the henhouse and you better not be the cock walking in there strutting around with criticisms, because believe me, you will not be looked upon kindly. And neither will your child.

I warned my ex about the education system here--this is where I grew up; he's from the East Coast. He didn't believe me when I told him that when a group of teachers decide they don't like a parent, the child suffers for it. The only reason my child is NOT suffering because of his actions up to this point is that I have been personally involved since Day 1 in making sure there was a quality and open rapport between her teachers and me, and I volunteer IN THE CLASSROOM every single week as well as bring the staff treats about once a quarter.

Don't get on a teacher's bad side. The whole village will rise up against you. Over an apostrophe? No. Over the fact that you think it's your place to tell them how to do their jobs. I'm not saying it's right, but it's how it is. You couldn't pay me Jeff Bezos money to take a teaching position in a million years because of the utter crap they have to deal with!

I absolutely appreciate where you're coming from, @Rockdiamond! I make my living as a freelance writer and the correct use of apostrophes is rather important in my line of work. It greatly pains me to see such mistakes from those who are supposed to be providing my child with a quality education. But, it is also up to me as a parent to supplement my child's education, read to her, go over homework and other assignments with her, and talk about the fact that people make mistakes and how and when to properly and kindly approach them about a mistake. Perhaps this is a good opportunity for you to discuss tact and social etiquette with your child. ;-)

(I hope most of my post is construed as it is meant--tongue-in-cheek.)

@Gussie LOVE that joke!!!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think we're all in agreement that teachers:
1) serve one of the most crucial roles in society
2) are vastly underappreciated
3) likely won't appreciate being corrected ( most people don't)
4) can, in bad cases, be vindictive on a child who has a butt head for a parent......

I dunno, it’s a compulsion but it feels often to me like a power trip and a way to reinforce a fervently believed superior set of learning.
I get this completely. It's true- and super important to keep in mind before opening one's mouth......
Still does not ease my anxiety over how kids are being taught....but you're making a great point

monarch- I'm so sorry you're dealing with what you are dealing with right now......

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy my boys say this!!! ON ACCIDENT, jeezus mary and joseph (my mother once explained to me that if one writes Jeezus instead of Jesus it wasn't swearing TRUTH Irish mother).. anyway I always say to them "Oh were they riding on a bike?" howd do you ON an accident, BY ACCIDENT.. So things change, I don't :) xo

Haha more alike than not. We learned in Hebrew School that if we hyphenate between G and D and leave out the O it is A OK to write the word. Otherwise no. Crazy, yes? Yes. Crazy. But we all have our own crazy and it is OK.

It's not about being PC at all. It's about politics. School is anything BUT politically correct, especially when the overwhelming majority of educators are women who take their jobs very seriously. Now you're dealing with the hens in the henhouse and you better not be the cock walking in there strutting around with criticisms, because believe me, you will not be looked upon kindly. And neither will your child.

Yup, exactly. You have to play the game for your child. It's just not worth antagonizing the teacher. Who already has too much on her plate. A very wise saying that comes to mind "Do you want to be right or do you want to be happy?" I choose happy (almost) every single time. We could do a new thread on the exceptions to this but for now this will suffice.

I'm in the leave it alone group. For instance, what if the teacher used a text-to-speech software. We all know those have some interesting ways of spelling things.

Great point. I didn't even think of that option. Though still one should proofread if one is an English teacher but in the grand scheme it doesn't matter. What matters is (to @Rockdiamond ) is that David's kid knows the proper grammar and how to spell and I am sure he does.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Rock diamond, tell her. She will thank you in the end. I would do what Nala suggested above. You are saving her from future embarrassment. A friend does this. This is not the end of the world.

Annette

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If there ever was a thread demonstrating that people vary, it's this one.

Last edited:

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
My phone changes "you're" to "your", "we're" to "were", and a whole bunch of other crap that makes zero sense and don't even sound the same. It changes "Saturdays" to "Saturday's", and adds random apostrophes. Not just text, but emails too. Sometimes it changes the word as I'm pressing send and I'm going NooOOOoooooooo... but it's too late. If I see it, I change it. Sometimes it takes 5+times because my phone thinks I'm wrong. I don't even know how many I might have missed, so there are probably people out there who think I am an idiot. Oh well.

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn't dream of correcting her because to do so would send her a message that she would have been better off not replying to you. However, since there is more than one example of her lack of English grammar knowledge and she's an English Lit. teacher the school needs to send her off for English grammar lessons.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results