shape
carat
color
clarity

Say your kid had a teacher you really liked and....

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
She's amazing.
Responsive.
Plus, I give anyone who can spend that many hours locked in a room with 16 10 year olds more credit than almost any other job I can think of....
Teachers should make more than CEO's IMO ...
In any event
Say your kid had a teacher that wrote you an email, to which you replied
"Thank You!!"

And she responded
"Your welcome"

I'm sure I'm probably OCD or whatever neurosis causes this kind of thing to really bother me....
Anyway, would you reply and correct the teacher?
BTW_ this has happened a bunch of times and I have always just decided it's better to keep my tongue.....

If my kid wrote this, I'd correct it.....

Reactions: AV_

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Your welcome"?

Maybe she heard about the way you welcomed someone, and she had your welcome on her mind.

LOL. ;)2

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi, David: The first thing I wondered was if she was using her phone and the auto correct was wrong.

That being said, give her the benefit of the doubt and/or an out by replying that you noticed that the auto correct makes "you're" incorrect and maybe if she told it to leave the spelling alone (tap the correct spelling) auto correct would learn and/or offer her choices to use.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would bother me too but if you correct her she might not appreciate it. If you don’t correct her you wonder what misinformation she’s teaching your kid. Lol no win situation.

I would not correct her and give her the benefit of the doubt (that it was autocorrect). Though one wonders why she wouldn’t read the text before sending.

Hopefully she doesn’t teach English.

;-)

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
She does teach English.
It was an email- so I can't say for sure if she sent it from a phone.
And, as I said- it's happened a few times already....
You got it so right about no win missy.....

I was thinking of finding a light-hearted, humorous way to point it out...
Something a-la Kenny's idea.
If you like my welcome, I'll send it over!
Then it can be your welcome!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

For Remembrance Day, I got myself, my husband, and my son a poppy. I texted my son.

The response? LOL poopy.

Nuf said.

cheers--Sharon

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She does teach English.

OMG she teaches English. :doh:I feel like laughing and crying at the same time.

laughingcrying.gif

Yeah no win. Let the school year play out and your son will have a new teacher for English next year. And double check his work in her class. ::)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

For Remembrance Day, I got myself, my husband, and my son a poppy. I texted my son.

The response? LOL poopy.

Nuf said.

cheers--Sharon

poopy.gif

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Let me give it a try and see what you think...by the way, we've been to dinner together- and on trips- she also taught my older son. So we're friends....and she's a hoot.

Hi Fannie ( not her real name- but I can use her name)
You know my respect for you is boundless....you've done such an amazing job with both boys- we all love you.
I'm totally OCD....little things drive me crazy.... Anyway your an amazing teacher, I wish I had you're strength.....lol!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She does teach English.

Tell her that you’re sure it’s just a typo or autocorrect glitch so you want to alert her to the fact that ....

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn’t do it...I would try to use the word correctly more often than usual. You can tell her something like “ You’re the best!”. It may hit home eventually....

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She's amazing.
Responsive.
Plus, I give anyone who can spend that many hours locked in a room with 16 10 year olds more credit than almost any other job I can think of....
Teachers should make more than CEO's IMO ...
In any event
Say your kid had a teacher that wrote you an email, to which you replied
"Thank You!!"

And she responded
"Your welcome"

I'm sure I'm probably OCD or whatever neurosis causes this kind of thing to really bother me....
Anyway, would you reply and correct the teacher?
BTW_ this has happened a bunch of times and I have always just decided it's better to keep my tongue.....

If my kid wrote this, I'd correct it.....

And this is why I have someone proofread my emails to parents when possible.:D
But really, she’s amazing and responsive. Sounds like a wonderful teacher. I would let it go. Honestly, she’s probably bogged down with correspondence as most teachers are. :wink2: It is surely an error.
I might use this as an opportunity to teach my child the proper use of your and you’re. While you’re at it work on they’re, their and there! :read:

Last edited:

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That would make me crazy, if I discovered I'd sent it in an email to a parent.
Yes, it would bother me, seeing it in an email from my child's (English or any) teacher.
But, I would not point it out in any way. Errors happen, and teachers get so many emails a day, with limited time to respond. I'd tell myself to be very happy if I received a timely response. I can't say I always got that from my girls' high school teachers.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Let it go. Chances are she is well and truly aware that it wasn't right. She just has a full on job and the additional email correspance is piled on top of a full day's worth of her actual work, and she didn't proof read it (as honestly it was extra obligation stacked on top of a full day of wrangling 16 10-year olds, and not her primary responsibility). If this is the case what will you actually accomplish by pointing it out?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
im not sure whats wrong?
are we talking about a missing apostrophe? (i left mine out on purpose)
hmmmm

i would definatly not mention it
i personally would consider that incredibly rude with an undercurrent of superiority if someone did that to me
and plenty of people have corrected my spelling in an unkind manner over the years
especially if you actually like this teacher as a person i would just bit my tounge
tha-went-over-my-head-memes-com-17624816.png tha-went-over-my-head-memes-com-17624816.png

Q

Queenie60

I say..... let it go. Not worth stressing over or making a point to her. Hopefully someone else will be the "arse" and tell her what she's doing wrong. For the sake of your child, let it ride!!!!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, I’d leave it too. This has happened to us too, I did once complain about a spelling error put on a school Twitter message, but that had a wider audience and seemed to me to make the whole school look bad.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My advice: Consider your need to correct this person as an opportunity to improve your own behavior! We are all evolving, and you can learn to let this go, and be happy with yourself for letting it go . . . and not always having to be right. You can let it go . . . it just passes you by. And you don't have to give it another thought. So freeing!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The number of people who care about correct spelling and grammar is shrinking.

Why?

Reactions: DAF

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
im not sure whats wrong?
are we talking about a missing apostrophe? (i left mine out on purpose)

Rockdiamond is talking about a missing apostrophe and a missing e when the English teacher wrote, "Your welcome."
She should have written, "You're welcome."

The word your refers what you own. Example: That is your house.
The word you're is a contraction of two words, you and are. Example: You're the owner of that house.

Though they are pronounced the same, or very similarly, they are totally different words with totally different meanings.

Why would you misspell "on purpose"?
Serious, is this some new cool thing?

I'm in my 60s.
School in the 1960s and 70s taught that correct spelling and grammar was important and those who don't bother to learn and use the agreed-to rules are poorly educated, lazy or rebellious.
We were taught to admire whose who write correctly.
Everything professional published was checked for adherence to standard rules.

I admit to taking liberty by using shortcuts and slang, but I'm not an English teacher writing to a pupil's parent.
When it matters, like writing a resume, I try to follow all the rules.

Has that all changed?
Does PCness, freedom, and equality now mean everyone can make up their own spelling and grammar?
Is marking down little Jonny's math quiz because he wrote 2+2=5 now a thing of the past?
Are we stunting little Jonny's potential by forcing him to learn 2+2=4?

These are serious questions.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The number of people who care about correct spelling and grammar is shrinking.

Why?

I also notice that some expressions/grammar rules/spelling has changed due to popular culture. Things that were once not "proper" grammar are now accepted and embraced as OK. I wonder if the your vs you're is now acceptable because it is shorter and easier to text. And with texts abbreviations are encouraged. Texts tend to include lazier spelling/abbreviations and punctuation from what I see.

I cannot think of examples right now as it's early here and I am sleepy but the word gifting is now acceptable. Gift is not a verb but now it is. I don't love it but everyone uses it.

The rules change based on what used and popular. All language changes over time and grammar is modified. It's in the hands of the newer generations.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good points missy.
Old dog here.

But but but, what do English teachers teach the kids today?
How are papers graded?
No more rules or standards?
Rampant chaos?

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy, Did you notice I didn't capitalize the m in your name?

I'm not correct, but I did that to respect your apparent wishes.

Language is complex.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope I wouldn't correct her. I know the difference between "they're and "their" and yet typed the wrong one mistakenly in a post the other day. So it happens.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy, Did you notice I didn't capitalize the m in your name?

I'm not correct, but I did that to respect your apparent wishes.

Language is complex.

Haha thank you very much Kenny. I guess I feel small having my "m" not capitalized. I wonder what the psychiatrists would say to that one. :lol: Ignorance can be bliss. Language is complex indeed.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results